• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
After seeing the trailer of Crash Bandicoot 4: "It's About Time", Anyone feel like Coco's chances of being an Echo fighter of Crash (Which were already pretty good) seem even more of a given now if he does join Smash?

Not that she wasn't impossible before, But her role in the franchise has gained even more importance over time, N.Sane Trilogy copied and pasted her as as a fully playable character across all 3 games and further established her as pretty much the "Luigi" of the franchise because just like the "Super Mario Bros" She has the same moveset as her older brother.

"Crash Bandicoot 4" returns her to the same playable status as her brother, Which further shows how much her role in the franchise has grew since "Cortex Strikes Back" and a brand new original sequel should further cement that role.

While "Warped" had her in a limited playable status ,We have N.Sane Trilogy to thank for taking it a step further and if it wasn't for that game remaster then I don't think the conversation would be brought up of her being an echo fighter.

Bottom Line: While I don't think it's likely we will get 2 Activision characters from separate franchises in the fighter pass (Sorry, Spyro), But if it's any consolation prize I do believe we will get Coco as echo fighter if Crash gets the "OK" and that will be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
After seeing the trailer of Crash Bandicoot 4: "It's About Time", Anyone feel like Coco's chances of being an Echo fighter of Crash (Which were already pretty good) seem even more "Likelier" now if he does make it into Smash?

Not that she wasn't impossible before, But her role in the franchise has gained even more importance over time, N.Sane Trilogy copied and pasted her as as a fully playable character across all 3 games and further established her as pretty much the "Luigi" of the series as she has the same moveset as Crash who would be the "Mario" of the franchise.

"Crash Bandicoot 4" returns her to the same playable status as her brother, Which further shows how much her role in the franchise has grew since "Cortex Strikes Back" and a brand new original sequel should further cement that role.

While "Warped" had her in a limited playable status ,We have N.Sane Trilogy to thank for taking it a step further and if it wasn't for that I don't the conversation would be brought up of her being an echo.

Bottom Line: While I don't think it's likely we will get a 2 Activision characters from separate franchises in the fighter pass (Sorry, Spyro), But if it's any consolation prize I do believe we will get Coco as echo fighter if Crash gets the "OK" and that will be icing on the cake.
maybe if crash is added in the next smash, i doubt they will make an echo fighter dlc, and she doesn't work as alt costume over crash due to his animations not fitting her personality. if anything a mii costume is more likely, assuming crash does get in

zferolie

Smash Hero
After seeing the trailer of Crash Bandicoot 4: "It's About Time", Anyone feel like Coco's chances of being an Echo fighter of Crash (Which were already pretty good) seem even more of a given now if he does join Smash?

Not that she wasn't impossible before, But her role in the franchise has gained even more importance over time, N.Sane Trilogy copied and pasted her as as a fully playable character across all 3 games and further established her as pretty much the "Luigi" of the franchise because just like the "Super Mario Bros" She has the same moveset as her older brother.

While "Warped" had her in a limited playable status ,We have N.Sane Trilogy to thank for taking it a step further and if it wasn't for that I don't the conversation would be brought up of her being an echo.

Bottom Line: While I don't think it's likely we will get 2 Activision characters from separate franchises in the fighter pass (Sorry, Spyro), But if it's any consolation prize I do believe we will get Coco as echo fighter if Crash gets the "OK" and that will be icing on the cake.
I honestly think she could even work as an Alt of crash. You said it yourself, she plays exactly the same way as crash, and i don't think we will get any echos unless Fatmans bonus character theory comes true.

Either way I REALLY want Coco

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I can see breaking a barrier and making Coco an Echo with different taunts or winning animations.

Brother and sisters must be united.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
My only worry for Coco is that if her body frame/model/skeleton or whatever the hell you wanna call it is too different from Crash's body frame to make it possible like how I've heard some people mentioned.

Don't know who or what they are going to use for the "Foundation" and while at the end of the day I will still be happy that Crash Bandicoot got in, But I will still be annoyed if we got a DLC echo for Byleth/Fire Emblem and not Crash, Though part of me would somewhat kind of understand seeing how one is Nintendo and the other is 3rd Party, But will still be pretty pissed off.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
If male and female Byleth can work as alts with different animations even, so can Crash and Coco

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Coco could work as an alt, considering she was literally one in N.Sane Trilogy, but I can't see her as an echo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Aah, I'm sold on this!

Do y'all think the Quantum masks would be used in Crash's kit outside of final smash?
It's hard to say, really. Maybe as a stance change system?

Coco could work as an alt, considering she was literally one in N.Sane Trilogy, but I can't see her as an echo.
Odds are, I think they'd be able to defy the "not really the same skeleton issue" that allegedly prevents some fighters from being alts, just for this case.

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of Wrath of Cortex
So far it looks more creative than that game, so that's a start.

To me, this is basically the love child of Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity being raised to the point of being spoiled and having a much better life than its parents ever did before this. After two aborted attempts at world/dimension-travelling Crash games by other devs it feels like they intend to have the third time be the charm.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honestly, you can make Coco work as an alt.

I have no clue how Hitboxed work in Smash but Coco usually in the Crash games has a similar build as Crash but it's inconsistent wether she is taller or shorter. We have seen certain alts have different animations (Byleth for example) but those are extremely minor.

And if Coco happened to be an alt and her spin had different properties, then the line of what an echo is gets more blurred.

And what have we learned today folks? That Alph was shafted #JusticeForAlph

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping for our sake that Tawna's regular look won't be discontinued and the other one is from an alternate universe still.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just hoping for our sake that Tawna's regular look won't be discontinued and the other one is from an alternate universe still.
I'm moreso concerned about the relationship status. While it does look like she's still with Crash this time, I want definite assurance about that.

I'm still excited with the possible prospect of playing as alternate!Tawna though. And it reminds me of Kei in Dirty Pair Flash, but that's just me.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm moreso concerned about the relationship status. While it does look like she's still with Crash this time, I want definite assurance about that.

I'm still excited with the possible prospect of playing as alternate!Tawna though. And it reminds me of Kei in Dirty Pair Flash, but that's just me.
If it's an alternate Tawna, then they're likely not in a relationship and she might be working for Cortex if the skull in her logo in that merch is anything to go by.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's an alternate Tawna, then they're likely not in a relationship and she might be working for Cortex if the skull in her logo in that merch is anything to go by.
That seems possible. We'll have to see what happens in Fall.

We have no idea of the scale of this game when it appears to be getting an art book just for it.

The most interesting part of the thumbnail art we saw was Dingdodile, of all villains, being featured and using a water gun like in Titans. Could he be playable as well?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Still hoping for that, myself.

Man, I've been wondering about that for a whole year ever since CTR:NF. I mean, I've been of the opinion that they're still together and Tawna simply isn't all that involved in her boyfriend's adventures (kind of like Candy Kong to D.K.).

In fact, I've considered to have still been together in the original run of the series, they were just dating off-screen.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
CTR's credits mentions that Dingodile got to work as a Fireman and was quite effective at the job, so that's interesting.

Anyway, earlier I said that I didn't mind the new design but prefered the N. Sane trilogy. However, the more I look at the trailer and images, the more the redesign grows on me. I even have the feeling that now Crash does indeed resemble a real Bandicoot in the new design at least to some extent, something he never did before, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I for one, am personally excited for the Tawna redesign. I hate Tawna's previous design, and anthropomorphic animals that serve the purpose of being of a love interest in general. I'd compare her to Candy Kong, an abomination that was rightfully replaced by a superior female character in the sequel (Dixie Kong/Coco), before being brought back once the original team left, for no reason. I'd argue it's worse in this situation however, as it took for the games to start being good again for them to bring her back, rather then her only re-appearing in the games from the 2000s that people would rather forget.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i don't think we will get any echos unless Fatmans bonus character theory comes true.
THIS. I have been predicting that if Fatman's theory comes true and we get bonus DLC characters in between FP2 fighters they would most likely be Echos. The Echos could be from the same series, but really doesn't have to be a Echo of the FP2 fighters. Imagine something like this:

Challenger Pack 7: Crash Bandicoot

Bonus Echo Fighter: Coco (Crash Echo)

Challenger Pack 8: Dixie Kong

Bonus Echo Fighter: Funky Kong (DK Echo)

Challenger Pack 9: Bandana Dee

Bonus Echo Fighter: Galacta Knight (Meta Knight Echo)

Challenger Pack 10: Waluigi

Bonus Echo Fighter: Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo)

Challenger Pack 11: Nightmare

Bonus Echo Fighter: Siegfried (Nightmare Echo)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
THIS. I have been predicting that if Fatman's theory comes true and we get bonus DLC characters in between FP2 fighters they would most likely be Echos. The Echos could be from the same series, but really doesn't have to be a Echo of the FP2 fighters. Imagine something like this:

Interesting idea. I dont think all the bonus characters will be echos, as fatman seems to think 1 bonus character is some sort of Iwata tribute, which i can see being released this summer on the 5th anniversary of his passing this July. Here is how i can see the pass with bonus happening.

FP6: Min Min

Bonus 1: Iwata tribute character(Balloon fighter/someone else he made?)

FP7: Crash with Coco alt(i think her as a alt works just fine, but you can also put her as an echo below and just move each of my choices down)

Bonus 2: Medusa(palutena echo)

FP8: Shantae

Bonus 3: Impa(Shiek Echo)

FP9: Rex and Pyra

Bonus 4: Dixie kong(Diddy Echo with DKs up B)

FP10: Geno

Bonus 5: Walugi(free assist trophy upgrade)

FP11: Reimu Hakurei

Bonus 6: Black Shadow(Captain Falcon echo who plays mostly like Melee Ganondorf)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Okay, then, here's my wishes for this:

CP7: Crash Bandicoot
Bonus 1: Coco (Crash Echo)

CP8: Scorbunny
Bonus 2: Alph (Olimar Echo)

CP9: SEGA rep
Bonus 3: Hilda (Zelda Echo)

CP10: Bandana Dee
Bonus 4: Jeanne (Bayonetta Echo)

CP11: Sora
Bonus 5: Xion (Sora Echo)

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Hey all! Crash and Spyro are both half off on steam right now if any of you haven't gotten a hold of them yet!

1593118153990.png

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really do not see us getting Coco... just like I would not see us getting Jeanne, or a potential Roxas... or really, any other character that is so clearly the secondary character. I can only see us getting an echo from a third party (as DLC) that is from a character based game without a direct main character (such as a Pokemon, or Scorpion/Sub Zero, or even another ARMS fighter).

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really do not see us getting Coco... just like I would not see us getting Jeanne, or a potential Roxas... or really, any other character that is so clearly the secondary character. I can only see us getting an echo from a third party (as DLC) that is from a character based game without a direct main character (such as a Pokemon, or Scorpion/Sub Zero, or even another ARMS fighter).
Thats why I really don't think she would be an echo, but an Alt.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Echo is subjective, but an alt would most certainly NOT work, just like it woudln't have worked for ARMS.
I don't know. They are having Coco play more and more like Crash, and they said in this new game they both play exactly the same. I think honestly it could go either way. Either an Alt, or a Daisy level echo, where basically everything is the same but her animations and personality

Faso115

Smash Lord
Again, i know that at least Byleth's taunts are slightly different in each alt.

The proportions can be worked around...i think. I mean Bowser Jr. has 7 different alts, surely Coco wouldn't be that difficult to work around.

Btw, which tracks would you have? And how many? I just want a Cortex Theme Medley myself.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't know. They are having Coco play more and more like Crash, and they said in this new game they both play exactly the same. I think honestly it could go either way. Either an Alt, or a Daisy level echo, where basically everything is the same but her animations and personality
Again, i know that at least Byleth's taunts are slightly different in each alt.

The proportions can be worked around...i think. I mean Bowser Jr. has 7 different alts, surely Coco wouldn't be that difficult to work around.
Well difference is, while they do play exactly the same, their proportions are still way too different compared to both Byleths. And with the Koopalings, their proportions don't matter that much since the Clown Car is the real character.

Being a Daisy-esque Echo is probably Coco's best shot at something other than a stage cameo, IMO.

Sphenodon

Smash Rookie
Hello, thread! New user here; haven't been privy to the Crash discussion up to this point, but I'll put in my cents.

There's obviously a lot of candidates overall for being put on the Fighter's Pass, but Crash is one of the few that comes off as being in a "when, not if" position. Most of this has already probably been said here or there, but there are a perfect storm of factors in his favor:
  • From a business perspective, Crash is in the rare position to sell Fighters' Passes on his own by merit of his inclusion:
    • His status as a gaming icon of high caliber. There are naturally very few video game characters that have claimed mascot status for big gaming companies, and with the exception of Master Chief, Crash is one of the last of his scale absent in SSBU.
    • He is undoubtedly relevant, not only having undergone a successful franchise revival with the N-Sane Trilogy and CTR:NF, but is getting an entirely new mainline series title fairly soon in the future. With this, visibility for Crash on large scales is on the upward trend.
    • He is pretty popular in Japan, which while no longer as absolute a factor with the arrival of Banjo still is a plus towards his appeal being broad throughout the world.
  • Outside that, he is just generally good material for being put into Smash:
    • The aforementioned icon status is important, considering SSBU's role as the ultimate crossover game and a showcase of gaming's finest.
    • He's been in tons of games of many genres, platforms, and even series, including plenty of history on Nintendo systems. The fact that many of these have been critically acclaimed is icing on the cake.
    • He has an unobtrusive design with character and potential for creative implementation, and between moveset potential and simple aesthetics is just easy to imagine fitting into a game like Smash.
  • Finally, ignoring the rumor and speculation mill, there has been next to nothing said about Crash in official channels. Given the existence and nature of NDA, silence is golden here.
Where most characters have some hills (real or imagined) standing in the way of them coming to Ultimate, there really aren't any I can see for Crash. He checks a bunch of positive boxes - some of them checked by few or no other characters in the running for a position in the Pass - and doesn't check any negatives. He has my support!

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
  • Finally, ignoring the rumor and speculation mill, there has been next to nothing said about Crash in official channels. Given the existence and nature of NDA, silence is golden here.
Where most characters have some hills (real or imagined) standing in the way of them coming to Ultimate, there really aren't any I can see for Crash. He checks a bunch of positive boxes - some of them checked by few or no other characters in the running for a position in the Pass - and doesn't check any negatives. He has my support!
That last point sticks out to me as someone who was knee-deep in Banjo speculation.

Phil Spencer was never shy about responding to how much he'd want to see Banjo-Kazooie join Smash up until the very first Smash Ultimate reveal happened at E3 2018 (Which we would later learn is actually when the deal happened to get Banjo into the Fighter's Pass), and after that he never touched the subject again and never responded to any fans about the matter wheras before he would always do so

Compare this to characters like Master Chief or Doomslayer, who both have had official people come out and say "It's great you all want them in Smash, but it's unfortunately not happening"

With Crash currently getting buzz for topping that massive Smash ballot you'd think someone from Crash's corner would reach out to comment but... silence

This same thing is why some believe Rayman might be on the way (For those who don't know: Ubisoft used to have a survey that asked if you had bought the Ubisoft Mii Costumes and a bot on their Reddit that was trained to answer questions about Smash Bros saying "Rayman would be awesome in Smash!", and then suddenly both of those vanished)

Silence is indeed golden. If there's any characters I say that I'm confident are in: It's Crash and Geno

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Over 100 levels. Huh. Crash 4 is taking the challenge of overdoing Mario Galaxy as a linear 3d platformer. I have a great feeling about this one, this may be the greatest 3d platformer that we had not only in a long while, but also maybe the best of them all.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Over 100 levels. Huh. Crash 4 is taking the challenge of overdoing Mario Galaxy as a linear 3d platformer. I have a great feeling about this one, this may be the greatest 3d platformer that we had not only in a long while, but also maybe the best of them all.
Try not to count your eggs before they hatch, though. We're still pretty early in the reveal phase. There's a risk of a "lacking in substance" scenario. Though I have heard that they teased multiple playable characters, so that MIGHT eliviate it a bit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Try not to count your eggs before they hatch, though. We're still pretty early in the reveal phase. There's a risk of a "lacking in substance" scenario. Though I have heard that they teased multiple playable characters, so that MIGHT eliviate it a bit.
As CGE pointed out, it's likely that there are many variants of levels in which you play as said characters. Think Sonic Adventure.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know that Wrath of Cortex is being de-canonized, but I actually like Crunch, and I hope he comes back in some way.
Crash / Coco / Crunch is like the Team Sonic (Sonic / Tails / Knuckles) of the Crash Bandicoot series.

Crash Bandicoot 4 gives me vibes of Super Mario Galaxy, which is a good thing, as Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game of all time.
Linear levels, but focused with excellent presentation. Sometimes less is more.
With supposedly over 100 levels and a full $60 price tag, I'm confident that Activision and Toys for Bob are treating this as their magnum opus, rather than just copy pasting to cash in on nostalgia *cough*Sonic*cough*.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Coco can 100% be Crash alt. They are almost same height. Compare male and female Byleth please, they have much different body types than Coco and Crash.

Top Bottom