• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well....idk where to start. I went in with low expections, expecting myself to be disappointed and I was somewhat (but at least we didn't get Fortnite). While I'm not giving up on my 20 year dream, it might be good for us all to just support each other through this. It's possible that Sakurai really wanted Crash, but Nintendo said no (**** you Nintendo, if this is true). It's possible the two parties couldn't work out a deal.

So remember this: we made it this far and gained an awful lot of supporters along the way. Pat yourselves on the back knowing that you kept your chins up and supported our boy. He still got a chance, even if it's looking more and more slim. One day guys, just one day. One day, Crash Bandicoot will finally enter the fray and show iconic gamers why he is worthy of being with the Best of the Best.

Just keep your chins up and reach for the Wumpa Fruits, everyone!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Good point. Maybe we should keep our expectations in check more?
ABSOLUTELY. Remember, Crash barely made it onto Switch. If it wasn't for that one employee who showed it was possible, they were gonna skip porting the N. Sane trilogy to Switch!

And they're unhealthily obsessed with Call of Duty as it is, not to mention whatever they've done to studios who worked on Crash.

If he doesn't make it into Smash, you're better off blaming Activision than Nintendo.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
ABSOLUTELY. Remember, Crash barely made it onto Switch. If it wasn't for that one employee who showed it was possible, they were gonna skip porting the N. Sane trilogy to Switch!

And they're unhealthily obsessed with Call of Duty as it is, not to mention whatever they've done to studios who worked on Crash.

If he doesn't make it into Smash, you're better off blaming Activision than Nintendo.
I was going to blame Activision either way, potentially for more reasons than one, considering how greedy they are, and how their wanting creative control lead tot hat Crash show on Amazon being cancelled.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I was going to blame Activision either way, potentially for more reasons than one, considering how greedy they are, and how their wanting creative control lead tot hat Crash show on Amazon being cancelled.
Wait....Crash was supposed to get a show?!?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Crash's absence is a bit of a let down and empty feeling. Would have been amazing. This feels like plain controversy.

Maybe we'll still get Crash at the next direct, which could be a big direct as Ultimate's send off. I grieve with all of you.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
The only chance Crash has left now is the possibility of the last character being revealed at the next Game Awards, and Crash fits the bill as a GA character reveal. That being said, I'm not too confident on that happening. The best thing we can do at this point is just lower our expectations. By a lot.
No way they will wait 6 months for the last character. I'd put the house on a September reveal.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
No way they will wait 6 months for the last character. I'd put the house on a September reveal.
Never put it past Nintendo to do something like this. They do weird stuff all the time. People were saying that there would be no way Nintendo would slow down after Pythra and we had to get someone before E3. Legit the amount of posts I saw expecting someone in May was astounding.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Sorry about Crash not being revealed today. I gotta say though, I'm stoked about Kazuya! After the Heihachi mii costume showed up with Min Min I had counted Tekken out of the running. Sakurai, once again, threw me for a loop and I can't wait to watch his presentation on the 28th! The new Zelda game also looked FANTASTIC!

Just one more fighter left now...

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet
Again I definitely cannot wait to try out kazuya and before anyone says he is going to be just like ryu, Kazuya functions completely different than any fighter like ryu in smash in general so he promises something
Still sticking to terry I think I find him more enjoyable.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If you wanted to, you could say that CP11 was meant for e3 but delayed due to covid to argue it is still a hype pick. I’m less faithful in that but the argument is there.
It's very possible. We'll have to see who is the final fighter

Welp, back to being bored for the next months
Nah, more like back to arguing who is the last fighter :secretkpop:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's very possible. We'll have to see who is the final fighter

Nah, more like back to arguing who is the last fighter :secretkpop:
At this point I don't really care who the last fighter is. I don't mean that in a bad or defeated way, but after being wrong in my predictions on the next fighter for a seventh straight time, I have to concede that I'm not good at predicting Smash. So I think I'm just gonna stay silent on the matter of who could get in next. Though, as sad as it is for me to say, I guess I have to take Crash, Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell off my most-wanted list, since Kazuya is likely gonna bring Lloyd's costume back with him, and E3 was the last shot for Crash at getting into Smash, in my opinion.

So yeah... I guess that's it. Congratulations still to Kazuya and Tekken👏👏👏👏👏

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
At this point I don't really care who the last fighter is. I don't mean that in a bad or defeated way, but after being wrong in my predictions on the next fighter for a seventh straight time, I have to concede that I'm not good at predicting Smash. So I think I'm just gonna stay silent on the matter of who could get in next. I guess at this point I have to take Lloyd and Yuri, and maybe even Ryu Hayabusa off my list though, since Kazuya is likely gonna bring Lloyd's costume back with him, and this was each of those 3 character's last shot at getting in, in my opinion. At this point consider me ALL IN on my Crash support.
At this point, I can see any of these happening...

• A Zelda rep (BOTW 2 for advertising or someone like Impa)
  • Pokemon Rep
  • Classic fighter
  • CRASH
  • Popular 3rd party
  • Complete left hand character that no one expects
  • WTF Sakurai character

Either way, it's been a pretty good ride. Some characters were great, some characters were meh, some characters were hell no.

I'm placing my chips for Crash, and will continue those chips for Smash 6

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeah don't expect CP11 any time soon

At the very least, I can see them being revealed in a hypothetical fall Direct.

And peaking of hypothetical; call me a bit tinfoil-hatty, but I had a thought. Let's say there was also supposed a "Banjo" to Kazuya's "Hero" this year, and let's say the "Banjo" was Crash (just for an example). There wasn't a "Banjo" this year, so do you think that hypothetical reveal was delayed because of COVID?

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Crash can still happen but maybe an hopelessly optimistic. Then again, im not one to put all of my eggs in one basket.

Hopefully Vergeben's "claims" dont pan out for CP11 being da Chief
Which is sad (for me) because MC was my top 3 most wanted characters. On our related note somebody needs to go through Fortune archives and see if any of the FP3 characters were leaked which I highly doubt.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The only chance Crash has left now is the possibility of the last character being revealed at the next Game Awards, and Crash fits the bill as a GA character reveal. That being said, I'm not too confident on that happening. The best thing we can do at this point is just lower our expectations. By a lot.
I think we really need to let go of this notion of characters only "fitting" for certain events. Cause by that logic, no one was expecting Kazuya, yet look what happened today.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
No one is a guarantee to join smash as Sakurai and Nintendo has planned everything out with other companies.

If you think about it: Street Fighter, Tekken and King of Fighters was a complicated game genre that Sakurai did play during his younger times. So, they are the inspiration that allows Smash Bros to bloom.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm out. Crash was an "E3 or Never" tier reveal, and that just wasn't the case here. If it didn't happen here it's not gonna happen at all unless they legit make us wait half a year at the Game Awards for that final reveal, which I sincerely doubt they'll do.

Oh well, we gave it our best.
Pretty much. You don't put Crash at the end of the reveals. I think it's more likely we will get a low-key First Party (maybe Andy) or a niche Third Party.

Crash's chances are pretty much dead, and what i stated months before ended up being right. (timing is a *****)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It's still possible that Crash could be last, but to be brutally honest I'm no longer expecting him. Which is fine because I was half-expecting this to happen anyway. But I'm just happy that Crash is alive and well. I think back to the dark ages roughly from 2011-2015 where there was no sign of a new Crash game. Looking back, I'm grateful that Crash is back in the spotlight. Plus there is always the next Smash game. I have a feeling that Crash's demand will just keep growing and he might even be one of the most demanded characters come next speculation cycle.

I had a dream a couple nights ago where Crash was announced. I believe that one day that dream will come true.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I wish they would have just ripped the bandaid off today. I gotta feeling that the last character is gonna be a wet fart like Cinderace, similar to how Byleth was FP1 ending.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I wish they would have just ripped the bandaid off today. I gotta feeling that the last character is gonna be a wet fart like Cinderace, similar to how Byleth was FP1 ending.
Yeah I'd have also preferred it just be finished at E3. All we can hope for now is that the last fighter is revealed relatively soon

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Pretty much. You don't put Crash at the end of the reveals. I think it's more likely we will get a low-key First Party (maybe Andy) or a niche Third Party.

Crash's chances are pretty much dead, and what i stated months before ended up being right. (timing is a *****)

Of all the "Game Over" screens in the original games, Cortex's gives me chills

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Figured I wait until I post in here considering that the mood in here seems rather down, way more then I thought honestly.

While I am a little disappointed Crash did not make it in as I was hoping considering E3 was a big deal, to say that the fighter who got revealed was not hyped? It was actually pretty hype (It's freaking Tekken man!) and something I was not expecting, considering the leak that happened within the mere hours that said that Master Chief was going to be next (from Vergeben) for Smash, so to see that happen and then get Kazuya right afterwards was some Stop 'N' Swap **** that was pretty funny to see.

As far as Crash is concerned, I still have legitimate hope that he'll make it into the game. At this point I refuse to abandon such this far down the rabbit hole so I might as well finish it and while yes we have one slot left, I think the point of "they are gonna end it with a first party like they did with the base roster and FP1" is actually a point I don't really agree with. We're comparing those circumstances when it was clear that Nintendo/Sakurai was gonna add more DLC into the game to a point in time (right now) where this is pretty much the LAST DLC slot to be added into Smash (with maybe 1 Bonus slot??) for a very long time, I don't think they are gonna settle for a 1st party imo, I highly believe that they want to capitalize on the end of the Smash Ultimate DLC here on a high note, so what better way to do that then to add two hype characters (Kazuya and whoever is next on the hype tree) to the game and then close the book on the game for a very long time.

While this E3 was Crash's best shot, it is NOT over by any means and there is still that possibility that they intended (assuming he is next) to have reveal him as CP11 instead, and if the idea is that CP11 gets revealed in September? His 25th anniversary date would be September 9th and considering how Activision have said in their statement when Crash 4 got their ports to the Switch/PC/etc: "Fans should also be on the lookout for tons of furtastic festivities from Activision Blizzard, Inc aimed to engage Crash Bandicoot fans throughout the year." And while there hasn't been much for that since the aforementioned ports (unless you count the social media posts from Crash's twitter and a lot of the 25th anniversary posts of him doing various things and the hashtag #Crash25before25 they've been doing) I do honestly believe that based on the 25th anniversary posts from Crash's twitter (and the hashtag) and how all of that has been posted and implying? We're gonna get something for him that'll be good this year, maybe before the end of the month since June is a Crash month (in a way) but I also realize that they are probably laying eggs for September.

Keep the hope guys! It might be tough right now, but regardless if he gets into Smash or not, we should all be extremely grateful for how he has came back since E3 2016 with it being a massive success! Super happy that he's back into the main fray of things, but yeah! Keep the hope guys! <3

EDIT: So I decided to calculate the representation numbers as far as genres are concerned that are relevant for Smash and here's what I came up with:

JRPGS: 5 (Joker, Hero, Byleth, Sephiroth, and Pyra/Mythra)
Fighting game reps: 3 (Terry, Min-Min, and Kazuya)
Sandbox reps: 1 (Steve, and he will be the ONLY one for this one)
Platformer reps: 1 (Banjo-Kazooie)

So based on the numbers here, only ONE platformer rep from the two Fighters Pass so far (I'm aware its higher from the base roster, but that's not the point for rn) so whose to say that they wouldn't think of adding in another one for the last slot, and Crash is the STRONGEST one that's left from the platformer pool that is viable for Smash. Will it happen?

We'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom