• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm afraid this guy will end up reporting that Nintendo and Activision broke up their deal to have Crash in Smash or something
I've been looking through this guy's tweets and videos and he doesn't really seem to focus on Smash, so I imagine it's most likely going to revolve around Crash's series specifically. I wouldn't be too worried when it comes to Smash anyway. Either way, he didn't say it was all bad news.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
It wouldn’t be strange to think that Activision wanted a 3 year cycle between Crash - Spyro - Crash racing games, so this year we should get a new installment of spyro and by 2022 a new crash racing game, then by 2023 a Crash 5 and lt repeats itself. But, maybe Liam has heard that plans changed and they will be no crash 5, at least for a short time. We knew that the team that made crash n sane trilogy, vicarious visions, got absorbed into blizzard division and now they are full on diablo 2 remaster.

regarding potential spirit board, i always think of:
0) Coco (if she isn’t a alt)
1) Aku Aku
2) Doctor Neo Cortex
3) Ripper Boo
4) Tawna
5) Tiny Tiger
6) Uka Uka
7) Nitrus Brio
8) N Gin
9) Dingodile
10) Spyro the Dragon

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'd say a different spinoff genre would make more sense than another racing game, CTR:NF would be pretty hard to top.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If there's the possibility of another Crash Bandicoot spinoff outside of another Kart racer, Then I wouldn't mind a "Crash Bash" remastered with significant additional content or reboot the "Crash Bash" concept and take cues from the "Mario Party" franchise to make it an even better and meatier multiplayer party game.
A Crash Bandicoot Mario Party clone type game sounds fun.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I honestly can't see why Activision would want to put Crash on a lengthy hiatus or cancel upcoming projects after what I assume are good sales.
Given the fact he assumed Wumpa League was cancelled and immediately backtracked on it, methinks that his Activision info is not what it was ~5 years ago.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
rfarleydude97 rfarleydude97 Update on Liam:

Yeah, this is DEFINETLY a case where the fanbase is showing its bad side. Again, let's just wait for the video to come out before making assumptions.
Yeah I don't necessary disagree with some parts of the fanbase acting unreasonable/attacking the guy, but based on what's out there and known, he is also not innocent by any means. I'll be patiently waiting for the video to be released publicly so we can all see and watch of what he's been cooking in regards of this matter.

(On a side note, he actually blocked me on Twitter because I quoted this tweet https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1368348478288633862 and said "inb4 "oh looks like it's still going to happen after all" again, not my fault that you backtracked almost that quickly on something that you yourself said was cancelled and then backtracked not even that long after, but ofc he would rather call out the "emotional infants" then rather how he handled the reporting.)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't necessary disagree with some parts of the fanbase acting unreasonable/attacking the guy, but based on what's out there and known, he is also not innocent by any means. I'll be patiently waiting for the video to be released publicly so we can all see and watch of what he's been cooking in regards of this matter.

(On a side note, he actually blocked me on Twitter because I quoted this tweet https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1368348478288633862 and said "inb4 "oh looks like it's still going to happen after all" again, not my fault that you backtracked almost that quickly on something that you yourself said was cancelled and then backtracked not even that long after, but ofc he would rather call out the "emotional infants" then rather how he handled the reporting.)
Eh... not to sound rude, but I think you were setting yourself up for that one.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I respectfully disagree and I'll leave it on that because don't want to disrupt the thread's natural flow of Crash Bandicoot discussion.
In that case, new topic time!

Remember awhile back when I mentioned Crash in Death Battle? Well, I asked a few experts on the subject (aka VS Battles Wiki), and apparently some of his most popular matchups outside of Spyro are Rayman, Sonic, and Taz the Tasmanian Devil. Any of those sound interesting?

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
In that case, new topic time!

Remember awhile back when I mentioned Crash in Death Battle? Well, I asked a few experts on the subject (aka VS Battles Wiki), and apparently some of his most popular matchups outside of Spyro are Rayman, Sonic, and Taz the Tasmanian Devil. Any of those sound interesting?
I def wanna see him against Taz, interesting character matchup in all honestly!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think it's pretty wild that support for Crash has seriously exploded. I see it freaking everywhere. Maybe people are finally starting to see him as the missing piece? God I think everyone is going to lose their minds if this happens.

I def wanna see him against Taz, interesting character matchup in all honestly!
Aren't toons unkillable though? Not sure how that would work... lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think it's pretty wild that support for Crash has seriously exploded. I see it freaking everywhere. Maybe people are finally starting to see him as the missing piece? God I think everyone is going to lose their minds if this happens.

Anything's killable as long as you know how!

Wait, that came out wrong...

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Ben and Zuko, Anybody?

Note: Jake Long kinda counts but he was reduced to a ghost.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Ben and Zuko, Anybody?

Note: Jake Long kinda counts but he was reduced to a ghost.
Yea I'm talking about a Looney Tune. Or more generally, cartoon characters that are written for comedy. The ones that shrug off outrageous body trauma like they just stubbed their toe. They're seemingly immortal. The only thing I've ever see kill them is the "Dip" in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" which is essentially ink remover. Lol So I guess if Crash can figure that out... which I doubt.

who_framed_roger_rabbit_disneyscreencaps.com_3940.0.jpg

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
People also have kind of accepted Crash as the frontrunner. Plenty have given him a lot of ire as well, but that is not anything new. Banjo before he was revealed got a lot of ire from some people, same with basically any character considered the frontrunner. Once someone is the frontrunner, they are the character to beat. That is why you are seeing people say Crash and Hayabusa are "boring": because they to most people seem like the likely end of the road.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it happens with almost every highly requested character. They accrue a massive amount of support, and then people get sick of support for something they weren't fond of in the first place. I can safely say explosions of popularity have tipped me over the edge from 'neutral' to either 'love it' or 'hate it' multiple times haha.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It wouldn’t be strange to think that Activision wanted a 3 year cycle between Crash - Spyro - Crash racing games, so this year we should get a new installment of spyro and by 2022 a new crash racing game, then by 2023 a Crash 5 and lt repeats itself. But, maybe Liam has heard that plans changed and they will be no crash 5, at least for a short time. We knew that the team that made crash n sane trilogy, vicarious visions, got absorbed into blizzard division and now they are full on diablo 2 remaster.

regarding potential spirit board, i always think of:
0) Coco (if she isn’t a alt)
1) Aku Aku
2) Doctor Neo Cortex
3) Ripper Boo
4) Tawna
5) Tiny Tiger
6) Uka Uka
7) Nitrus Brio
8) N Gin
9) Dingodile
10) Spyro the Dragon
I too think Spyro should be a Spirit. A Legend Spirit, in fact.
I even came up with the best ability for him: Mouthful of Curry and Impact Run. Mouthful of Curry to represent his flame attack, and Impact Run to represent his charge attack.

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Hey all, good to see you all fighting the good fight.

I drew up a moveset concept of what Crash could do in Smash:

Let me know what you think.

I also made a video where I go into a bit more detail, if you're interested and can put up with my bad audio and jokes.

I think it's great how much of a frontrunner he's becoming. Hopefully the parallels to Banjo aren't just imaginary and he does end up getting the invitation.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
People also have kind of accepted Crash as the frontrunner. Plenty have given him a lot of ire as well, but that is not anything new. Banjo before he was revealed got a lot of ire from some people, same with basically any character considered the frontrunner. Once someone is the frontrunner, they are the character to beat. That is why you are seeing people say Crash and Hayabusa are "boring": because they to most people seem like the likely end of the road.
It's funny because as likely as Crash seems, and I said this in another thread, it could still easily not happen. It's still going to be ridiculous that they actually got freaking Crash Bandicoot in this game. Just like with B&K, regardless of the rumors, I just won't believe it until I see it.

I also made a video where I go into a bit more detail, if you're interested and can put up with my bad audio and jokes.

I think it's great how much of a frontrunner he's becoming. Hopefully the parallels to Banjo aren't just imaginary and he does end up getting the invitation.
Wow, you drew that?! It looks great! I'll have to watch your vid when I have more time, but I love what I'm seeing so far.

Crash looks super zany and animated (as he should be), the moveset has tons of references, and even managed to come up with ideas I haven't thought of before: The crates falling from Crash 1 being a down throw (I'm sure Crash would be glad to see that happening to someone else!), and an implementation of Aku Aku into a special that doesn't seem broken. I like the different levels you've given each of his specials as well, as it would make him very versatile. I can only hope Sakurai gives him a similar amount of variety and care into his moveset...

Edit: I'm also curious about what parallels you're seeing between Crash and B&K.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

This is such a very well made moveset. Good job.

Looma

Smash Journeyman

Eyy, I just watched that video earlier on my lunch break! Good stuff, very well thought out.

The art's great too, Crash is kinda infamously hard to draw and I'm impressed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's funny because as likely as Crash seems, and I said this in another thread, it could still easily not happen. It's still going to be ridiculous that they actually got freaking Crash Bandicoot in this game. Just like with B&K, regardless of the rumors, I just won't believe it until I see it.
On my end, the minute that an actual legit leak from an insider happens, I would be really uncertain that it's actually real at all until the event happens. That's how I felt about the B&K leak. In this case, it'd be because every single time a Smash announcement might coincide with a Crash release, something else comes up instead.

For what it's worth, some of my educated reasoning (sometimes based on possible evidence) took varying amounts of time to come true.
  • Isabelle as a non-Echo
  • Ultimate getting DLC
  • Ultimate getting more than one DLC season
  • Monster Hunter not being prioritized for a fighter
  • any random text leak on 4/5Chan being fake (aside maybe the one for the last three base game period fighters)

My current reasonings are probably among the least likely yet, and that includes a June/E3 reveal for Crash, based on how Activision's marketing patterns operate and the recent curious explosion of Crash happenings this month. My patience gets rewarded sooner or later, but it's definitely a challenge dealing with a scene where the benefit of the doubt doesn't exist.

Compare now to how it used to be back in the Smash 4 days. You practically had to comb the web to find any proof of him getting any sort of ballot support at all, and his series was dead as dirt.

To be fair, Galeem/Dharkom can kill everything, even the goddamn Absolutely Safe Capsule, which can't be broken into according to its own creator. 😛

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On my end, the minute that an actual legit leak from an insider happens, I would be really uncertain that it's actually real at all until the event happens. That's how I felt about the B&K leak. In this case, it'd be because every single time a Smash announcement might coincide with a Crash release, something else comes up instead.

For what it's worth, some of my educated reasoning (sometimes based on possible evidence) took varying amounts of time to come true.
  • Isabelle as a non-Echo
  • Ultimate getting DLC
  • Ultimate getting more than one DLC season
  • Monster Hunter not being prioritized for a fighter
  • any random text leak on 4/5Chan being fake (aside maybe the one for the last three base game period fighters)

My current reasonings are probably among the least likely yet, and that includes a June/E3 reveal for Crash, based on how Activision's marketing patterns operate and the recent curious explosion of Crash happenings this month. My patience gets rewarded sooner or later, but it's definitely a challenge dealing with a scene where the benefit of the doubt doesn't exist.

Compare now to how it used to be back in the Smash 4 days. You practically had to comb the web to find any proof of him getting any sort of ballot support at all, and his series was dead as dirt.

To be fair, Galeem/Dharkom can kill everything, even the goddamn Absolutely Safe Capsule, which can't be broken into according to its own creator. 😛
Good thing Porky was inside!

Yeah, I don't get why people still think he's gonna be DLC. No offense...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

That is incredible! Great work, sir! 👍 👍

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the massive boom in Crash support is thanks to the remakes and 4, and particularly all of them being available on the Switch. Before the N. Sane trilogy, Crash was practically dead as far as most were concerned, and it had undeniably been dormant for quite a while. Even longer if you look at how long it'd been since he had a very well-received, successful game.

Now though, Crash is finally more relevant than he has been since the PS1 era. There's never been a better time to add him to Smash. With Brawl third parties were new and still extremely rare, while Crash games weren't doing so hot. With Smash 4 Crash was basically dormant. But with Ultimate, everything is finally lined up perfectly. I hope Nintendo and Activision don't miss this opportunity.

Last edited:

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Edit: I'm also curious about what parallels you're seeing between Crash and B&K.
Glad you liked the moveset.

As for Banjo parallels, the main things would be that he's a western 90's mascot platformer and that he's now easily one of most talked about characters for Smash speculation. It feels like he has the same amount of buzz as Banjo did around this time in 2019, although Banjo did probably have more leaks and rumours behind him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When Crash support is so big that even Wal-Mart wants to partake in the fun.

I'd say the massive boom in Crash support is thanks to the remakes and 4, and particularly all of them being available on the Switch. Before the N. Sane trilogy, Crash was practically dead as far as most were concerned, and it had undeniably been dormant for quite a while. Even longer if you look at how long it'd been since he had a very well-received, successful game.

Now though, Crash is finally more relevant than he has been since the PS1 era. There's never been a better time to add him to Smash. With Brawl third parties were new and still extremely rare, while Crash games weren't doing so hot. With Smash 4 Crash was basically dormant. But with Ultimate, everything is finally lined up perfectly. I hope Nintendo and Activision don't miss this opportunity.
If the 5-year plan is true, it would go to show just how much full investment Acti are putting into Crash ever since the Skylanders appetizer.

On the subject of the Crash series being put on a break, I would understand that because, well, Spyro still needs a new game. Spyro has been showing up in Crash games for a couple of years now and the darn sequel has been teased in Crash 4's own art book, after all.

Before any of that, I do wonder if we'll see Beenox's next Crash game announced before the month ends.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Been listening to the crash bandicoot soundtrack in general to get a feel of what songs should be added.

Man, Crash 1 really does have a lot of creepy music. Temple Ruins, the Dark levels, freaking Generator Room.

Still have flashbacks of uncanny valley cortex

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/TheDemoScout/status/1368998422372573191

Have any of you guys seen this floating around? Doesn't directly say it's Crash or anyone, but glitches I guess are a foreshadow for who could be next?

If I had to guess based on the content and if it was Crash? The fruit bazooka :)

EDIT: Yes I am aware that it can easily be debunked or just turn out to be nothing as far as the glitch leading to a character. We should always take stuff with a grain of salt until it's confirmed, although never hurts to speculate as long as it's within reasonable terms/mind.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Been listening to the crash bandicoot soundtrack in general to get a feel of what songs should be added.

Man, Crash 1 really does have a lot of creepy music. Temple Ruins, the Dark levels, freaking Generator Room.

Still have flashbacks of uncanny valley cortex
I'm Surprised the Generator Room wasn't added onto Dracosermonomicon or even The Autarch's Disturbing Video Game Music.
I'd just hope we get some CTR music as well. There's some really good ones, and they're generally more intense than the main game music, which is a good fit for a fighting game.
I'd imagine the music brought over for Crash would come from The First Three Games, Team Racing, N. Sane Trilogy, and 4.

I also wish to see tracks from other games in between such as Twinsanity, But i feel they'll most likely be left out.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
https://twitter.com/TheDemoScout/status/1368998422372573191

Have any of you guys seen this floating around? Doesn't directly say it's Crash or anyone, but glitches I guess are a foreshadow for who could be next?

If I had to guess based on the content and if it was Crash? The fruit bazooka :)

EDIT: Yes I am aware that it can easily be debunked or just turn out to be nothing as far as the glitch leading to a character. We should always take stuff with a grain of salt until it's confirmed, although never hurts to speculate as long as it's within reasonable terms/mind.
I've heard Master Chief rumored most from the "headshot glitch".
And honestly, if the final two are Crash and Master Chief, that's a wrap.
I can wait til Smash 7 for Rayman, Spyro, Tails, Knuckles, Dante, Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, Toad, Geno, Eggman, etc.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Rumors of data mine showing we could get a third wave. Don’t want to get anyone worked up here. Crash will definitely be a front liner if he doesn’t make the second wave
Whence cometh these rumors?

Top Bottom