• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
From what I understand that's most definately the plan. A digital event was apparently in the works before the live event was even canceled.

I'm just hoping we're getting a Nintendo Direct around then at this point...
Seeing as we got one last month, I'm sure we will. Ninty went the digital route years ago anyway, so if we don't get any Partner Showcases between now and June, things should remain on track.

Besides, there's still the announcement of two fighters coming at the moment, if nothing else, so that'd be more than we got last time. :ultminmin

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Does anyone else feel that they'd be pretty much satisfied with Smash characters after Crash gets in? I mean, I'll probably always prefer to see more characters I like, but Crash is the last one I feel NEEDS to be in. He makes things feel pretty much complete to me, and since we probably will never see this many characters together again I feel like this is gonna be the best we're going to get.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else feel that they'd be pretty much satisfied with Smash characters after Crash gets in? I mean, I'll probably always prefer to see more characters I like, but Crash is the last one I feel NEEDS to be in. He makes things feel pretty much complete to me, and since we probably will never see this many characters together again I feel like this is gonna be the best we're going to get.
I got Daisy after over a decade of getting made fun of for wanting Daisy, so anything else we get won't be topped for me. I do agree that Crash does feel like someone that just needs to be in that mural, though.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Honestly, to me anyway, the roster became pretty much perfect when Banjo & Kazooie got in. Guys like Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Sephiroth, and Pyra and Mythra are just really pleasant bonuses for me. While I would love to see a few more characters I like get added too like Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Shantae and Spyro, I've LOOOOONG since been satisfied with Ultimate's roster. Though if I had to choose one of those characters for one of the final 2 spots, then I'd go with Crash at this point. Unlike Ryu, who I mainly experienced with the Dead or Alive games, or Shantae and Spyro, who I love, but more or less got into within just the past few years, Crash games were a HUGE part of my childhood during the PS1 days much in the same way as Banjo-Kazooie was on the N64 during the same time.

So yeah. Here's hoping🤞

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There's actually some fans that believe that Cloud is more of the mascot of the Original Playstation than Crash Bandicoot, Not "One of the faces", "The Face" and while I don't give a **** about Final Fantasy, But I'm aware of it's importance, Cloud was never compared to or pit against Mario or even Sonic who are the faces of both Nintendo and Sega, That was Crash's job.

Which is why...

Crash Bandicoot was viewed by the majority as the unofficial/de facto mascot of Sony's Playstation brand.

While FF predates Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot (1996) is a (Playstation Original) and predates both Cloud/FF7 (1997).

Sony not just promoted his games, But Crash Bandicoot was the one sent to the frontlines to help promote the Playstation brand and other games in general, Hell he was in Pizza Hut commercials too.

Platformers, Kart Racers and Party Games.
Sound familiar? Crash Bandicoot was Sony's "Mario".
Plus let's not forget to mention that Crash had tons of great games on the PS1. Mario was solid but Crash was a fresh face at the time and became the PS1 mascot

100% for me. There’s no question that after Crash gets in, I’m 100% ok with everything else

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
For the most part. I'm still a bit salty Geno was shafted for this game, especially after his huge demand, but if Crash makes it in to this Fighters Pass, that will completely make it up to me. I already got King K. Rool and Banjo so I'm already happy with what we got, and Crash would just be icing on the cake for me. I still will support Geno and Waluigi for the next Smash game, but for Ultimate, I think I'll be 100% if Crash makes it in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically, for me it would be just like with :ultbanjokazooie:. If one of my other big wants got in after that, great! Otherwise I'm enjoying the rest of the ride, depending on where and how definitive the end is.

Source image from Reddit:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Erm... This five year plan leak doesn't specify how Crash will be in Smash, does it? So it's entirely possible that Crash Bandicoot will be a Mii Costume.
That IS a possibility. A rather-slim possibility, but a possibility nonetheless. Really, it depends on what Nintendo wants. Remember, they only asked Yacht Club Games for a Shovel Knight AT and nothing more...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I got Daisy after over a decade of getting made fun of for wanting Daisy, so anything else we get won't be topped for me. I do agree that Crash does feel like someone that just needs to be in that mural, though.
Well hey, I'm super happy for you then! Does it not bother you that she's an echo at all?

And yes, it would be unbelievably astounding to see Crash in that mural...

Honestly, to me anyway, the roster became pretty much perfect when Banjo & Kazooie got in. Guys like Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Sephiroth, and Pyra and Mythra are just really pleasant bonuses for me. While I would love to see a few more characters I like get added too like Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Shantae and Spyro, I've LOOOOONG since been satisfied with Ultimate's roster. Though if I had to choose one of those characters for one of the final 2 spots, then I'd go with Crash at this point. Unlike Ryu, who I mainly experienced with the Dead or Alive games, or Shantae and Spyro, who I love, but more or less got into within just the past few years, Crash games were a HUGE part of my childhood during the PS1 days much in the same way as Banjo-Kazooie was on the N64 during the same time.

So yeah. Here's hoping🤞
I honestly thought I was satisfied with B&K as they were a dream come true to me, but I just kept thinking about the possibility of Crash and the history he carries with him. I started playing his games and falling in love with the gameplay, animation, his character, and now I have an itch that I can't scratch. Greedy I know... I'd get past him not being in for the most part, but it would probably always bug me.

It's funny, because while I've always liked the idea of Crash in Smash, I didn't actually start playing his games until about 2 years ago (and I honestly can't believe it's been that long). Even though I'm a more recent fan, I have a VERY strong feeling that I'm going to lose my **** if he's revealed as if he were a part of childhood. The only other two characters that illicited that sort of response were Sonic and B&K, who WERE a part of my childhood, and I have little doubt that Crash will join them as one of the hypest reveals ever.

It's not just about loving the character for me, but also what that character represents that sends me over the edge.

For the most part. I'm still a bit salty Geno was shafted for this game, especially after his huge demand, but if Crash makes it in to this Fighters Pass, that will completely make it up to me. I already got King K. Rool and Banjo so I'm already happy with what we got, and Crash would just be icing on the cake for me. I still will support Geno and Waluigi for the next Smash game, but for Ultimate, I think I'll be 100% if Crash makes it in.
I'm really sorry about that Enigma. I genuinely hope Crash helps fill the Geno sized hole in your heart...

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
While I believe that the 5-Year plan rumor could be true based on it essentially being leaked in the European Licensing Source Book, I don't believe it guarantees Crash in Smash.

The last claim of that rumor (Aka Crash in Smash in 2021) was made by a Spanish Twitter user with no source given, and (to my knowledge) the user has no leak-based track record. If anything, it could just be It's About Time being ported to the Switch, kinda how the plan stated that 2018 would have the N. Sane Trilogy ported to other consoles.

Basically, in my opinion, take that last claim of the rumor with a grain of salt.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
While I believe that the 5-Year plan rumor could be true based on it essentially being leaked in the European Licensing Source Book, I don't believe it guarantees Crash in Smash.

The last claim of that rumor (Aka Crash in Smash in 2021) was made by a Spanish Twitter user with no source given, and (to my knowledge) the user has no leak-based track record. If anything, it could just be It's About Time being ported to the Switch, kinda how the plan stated that 2018 would have the N. Sane Trilogy ported to other consoles.

Basically, in my opinion, take that last claim of the rumor with a grain of salt.
Thank you for saying this. As much as I want Crash to get in, I'm still very iffy about the veracity of this rumor. I don't think we should all be acting as if Crash is 100% guaranteed to be one of the last two characters, because in case it doesn't happen, it's going to be a huge disappointment. Yeah, while I think there are plenty of good reasons to believe as to why Crash is a likely candidate, I also try to keep in mind that there's a possibility he doesn't get in. Too much optimism can result in disappointment.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well, I don't really think anyone in this thread thinks Crash is 100% guaranted, we're simply being hopeful for e3 because it is his best shot regardless of leaks. It is simply a demonstration of faith.

Anyway, something that's been bothering me lately is that I've seen some people are starting to get annoyed at Crash specifically because of the amount of support he's getting recently. We might end up being as hated as the Geno fanbase eventually.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thank you for saying this. As much as I want Crash to get in, I'm still very iffy about the veracity of this rumor. I don't think we should all be acting as if Crash is 100% guaranteed to be one of the last two characters, because in case it doesn't happen, it's going to be a huge disappointment. Yeah, while I think there are plenty of good reasons to believe as to why Crash is a likely candidate, I also try to keep in mind that there's a possibility he doesn't get in. Too much optimism can result in disappointment.
Here's a potentially stupid idea: what if we try to sort out the "hints" towards Crash's inclusion? Like, which stuff is legit going in his favor, which stuff is likely just a coincidence, and what could go against his chances? Because I feel like a LOT of fanbases fail to do that sort of thing, particularly that last one. I saw what happened with the old Geno thread, and I'd rather NOT have a repeat...

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Here's a potentially stupid idea: what if we try to sort out the "hints" towards Crash's inclusion? Like, which stuff is legit going in his favor, which stuff is likely just a coincidence, and what could go against his chances? Because I feel like a LOT of fanbases fail to do that sort of thing, particularly that last one. I saw what happened with the old Geno thread, and I'd rather NOT have a repeat...
No, I agree. I think it's important that when supporting a character for Smash, you not only hope for them, but still acknowledge factors that could possibly bar them from inclusion.

Optimism tempered by realistic expectations is best.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yea, I'm trying to depend on Crash's merits rather than leaks right now. All of it is far too wishy-washy...

Well, I don't really think anyone in this thread thinks Crash is 100% guaranted, we're simply being hopeful for e3 because it is his best shot regardless of leaks. It is simply a demonstration of faith.

Anyway, something that's been bothering me lately is that I've seen some people are starting to get annoyed at Crash specifically because of the amount of support he's getting recently. We might end up being as hated as the Geno fanbase eventually.
I've seen this too, especially on Facebook. The hate really bugs me. Eh... let them complain. There's nothing wrong with a passionate fanbase provided they aren't harassing anyone...

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's because I wasn't a Geno supporter, but I honestly failed to see any hints as to why Geno would get in. The only thing that I saw in the character's favor were things like the Inklings, Chrom and King K. Rool transitioning from being Mii costumes in Smash 4 to actual playable characters in Ultimate and Sakurai saying that "It's more important that a character is fun to play as than being recognizable" when talking about Terry. While the "hints" I see for Crash have some more substance, I agree that we shouldn't look too much into them.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I was gonna get ready to retire from Smash speculation after Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool, But by the time Banjo came out we weren't even 1 year into Ultimate and it was way too early to call it quits when it felt like there was still "Unfinished Business" left to settle.

And that "Unfinished Business" is Crash Bandicoot.

Sure there are some names that I can think of that I would like to see in Smash, But feel like their not too "Necessary" or viewed as "Essential", But Crash Bandicoot to me personally feels like he "Needs" to happen because of what he represents and also would feel like a big missed opportunity or glaring omission if for whatever reason he doesn't make into Smash.

I'd argue he's probably the "Big elephant in the room" in terms of potential current Smash newcomers as all eyes are laser focused at Crash at the moment.

If Crash Bandicoot for some unfortunate reason doesn't make the cut, While I'll still be really satisfied with the roster, It would feel like "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" all over again, But to a lesser extent.

If he does make the cut, Then I'm pretty much 99.99% content with the roster and can finally retire from Smash speculation and ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Erm... This five year plan leak doesn't specify how Crash will be in Smash, does it? So it's entirely possible that Crash Bandicoot will be a Mii Costume.
Yeah, although knowing Activision, I doubt they'd break their backs for five years just so people can make their own Crash Suit Guy.

Recently, the Smash 4 ballot period got me thinking that they might have noticed the demand for him there, and might have done Crash's revival mainly so he can get into Smash.

Said ballot occurred on 2015, the year before Crash's appearance in Skylanders Imaginators and the N. Sane Trilogy were announced.

If any of this is true, of course.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Well hey, I'm super happy for you then! Does it not bother you that she's an echo at all?

And yes, it would be unbelievably astounding to see Crash in that mural...
It's a little bothersome because for people that can't stand Daisy it's just more ammo they can use to say "Nobody likes her or else her moveset wouldn't be exactly the same".
But you have to pick your battles, and if it was between having her in a crossover this large in her current capacity or not at all, I'd pick the former 100% of the time.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

(Shudders) We'll were never be compared to "Them".

If anything at least most people even those who don't care for Crash Bandicoot can still see why he is a worthy contender and has a legitimate shot at Smash, He has the status and legacy to back that up, Unlike the former who was always seen as a long shot and not even in the same league as someone like Crash Bandicoot or even your average video game all-star.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
(Shudders) We'll were never be compared to "Them".

If anything at least most people even those who don't care for Crash Bandicoot can still see why he is a worthy contender and has a legitimate shot at Smash, He has the status and legacy to back that up, Unlike the former who was always seen as a long shot and not even in the same league as someone like Crash Bandicoot or even your average video game all-star.
To this day, I've never understood the Geno for Smash obsession. I love Super Mario RPG as much as anyone, but it's a little crazy how some people are so hardcore into him that he wound up being one of the most requested characters for Smash alongside Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. Unlike those other three, Geno just doesn't strike me as someone major enough to get such a hardcore fanbase.

Ultimately their opinions don't matter, but I don't think there's anything wrong with venting to fellow Crash fans about how it's obnoxious either.
I'm just someone who considers damn near ALL Smash fans obnoxious. Especially with how a lot of them like to act on here, or in other comment sections.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Ultimately most of the hate for popular requests and the DLC fighters stems from jealousy that it isn't whoever they want. With any other complaints they can think of used as thinly-veiled excuses.

Some AT-AT

Smash Apprentice
To this day, I've never understood the Geno for Smash obsession. I love Super Mario RPG as much as anyone, but it's a little crazy how some people are so hardcore into him that he wound up being one of the most requested characters for Smash alongside Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. Unlike those other three, Geno just doesn't strike me as someone major enough to get such a hardcore fanbase.

I'm just someone who considers damn near ALL Smash fans obnoxious. Especially with how a lot of them like to act on here, or in other comment sections.

I never knew why so many want him

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm a Geno fan, and most want him because they love his character and it's akin to the Velveteen Rabbit in a way. Even though Geno's seemingly out, I try to support other characters like Crash, Rayman, Shantae, Hayabusa, KOS-MOS, Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton and others.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We should recognize the good and bad of all fanbases. It's never a black and white issue. I know plenty of Geno supporters that are reasonable and kind. I admire their passion.
There are also the silent majority like me that want nothing more than to try and want to enjoy talking to people who actually care about Smash beyond "oh, that's neat, I guess". Rather than constantly having to negotiate over the most trivial issues like it's a bureaucracy. Otherwise I'm just left to sit in my corner and play in peace.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To no one's surprise at all, E3 2021's live event has been cancelled.

Now this begs the question on whether or not their will be a digital event this year. I'll be shocked if we don't get a digital event considering I feel most video game companies have adjusted to announcing things during the pandemic, so I don't think this is too big of a deal.
Well ****. We'll have to wait until the end of the Summer to know who's all remaining in Fighter's Pass 2.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Well ****. We'll have to wait until the end of the Summer to know who's all remaining in Fighter's Pass 2.
No we don't, as they are only cancelling the live event. As far as I'm concerned, they still plan on having a digital E3 this year.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I got K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth in this game, but I would at least want one more character I really want.

No we don't, as their are only cancelling the live event. As far as I'm concerned, they still plan on having a digital E3 this year.
Well, that's great. Flase alarm.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
And regardless, even if E3 is totally canceled, if Nintendo was planning to reveal a Smash fighter they'd just reveal it around the same time anyway.
Which is why it's kind of annoying when some people go "Yeah, You know their not having E3 this year".

It's just easier and faster to say "E3" than "Nintendo Digital Event" or whatever the hell they do end up calling it, Most gamers already should know what we mean by that during that time of the year anyways.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
While I do think he may have other chances, I still believe that Crash's best shot is an E3 reveal. Which begs the question, who do you think is his major competition for such a huge stage?

Right now I think he's contending with a Capcom rep and MAYBE Dragonborn (although I think Vault Boy might be all we get from Bethesda). Master Chief also has a slim possibility, but I'm not betting on two Microsoft reps for this pass.

I think Dante and Monster Hunter are the biggest threats right now, and I could easily see either of these two happening. I suppose it just depends on how much Nintendo desires DMC representation, and whether they feel the need to add to MH content.

EDIT: I should clarify that I think it's possible to have a MH rep at E3 and then Crash last, but honestly given how iconic Crash is I don't see them choosing MH over him for E3. Same thing for Dante.

EDIT 2: And of course all of this is dependent on whether Activision and Nintendo were able to work out a deal in the first place.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
While I do think he may have other chances, I still believe that Crash's best shot is an E3 reveal. Which begs the question, who do you think is his major competition for such a huge stage?

Right now I think he's contending with a Capcom rep and MAYBE Dragonborn (although I think Vault Boy might be all we get from Bethesda). Master Chief also has a slim possibility, but I'm not betting on two Microsoft reps for this pass.

I think Dante and Monster Hunter are the biggest threats right now, and I could easily see either of these two happening. I suppose it just depends on how much Nintendo desires DMC representation, and whether they feel the need to add to MH content.
The only other character I can see competing with Crash is Rayman, since he's also a 90's platforming Western character, but I don't think Rayman is anywhere close to how likely Crash is given how we already have Ubisoft content in the game.
Aside from that, Crash is the only character who would scream E3 reveal to me at this point. Master Chief and Sora would be up their, but they're most likely not happening given we already have a Microsoft and Square Enix rep in this Pass.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The only other character I can see competing with Crash is Rayman, since he's also a 90's platforming Western character, but I don't think Rayman is anywhere close to how likely Crash is given how we already have Ubisoft content in the game.
Aside from that, Crash is the only character who would scream E3 reveal to me at this point. Master Chief and Sora would be up their, but they're most likely not happening given we already have a Microsoft and Square Enix rep in this Pass.
I forgot about Rayman and Sora! Yea, those are good points against their inclusion. What do you think about a Capcom rep?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

EDIT: I should clarify that I think it's possible to have a MH rep at E3 and then Crash last, but honestly given how iconic Crash is I don't see them choosing MH over him for E3. Same thing for Dante.

EDIT 2: And of course all of this is dependent on whether Activision and Nintendo were able to work out a deal in the first place.
To be honest, with how these DLC picks have been, we won't actually know until we see it, I bet. Plus, they DID consider Palutena E3-worthy.

Granted, they were introducing Smash 4's customisation features that year, but still...

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I know all of you think of characters like Crash, Rayman or Master Chief as characters that fit the bill as E3 announcements. But am I seriously the only one who still thinks about this?
16045050635797.jpg

Top Bottom