• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

D

Deleted member

Hi, everyone, first time posting here. So, how do you all feel currently about the "five-year plan" for Crash Bandicoot rumor? Do you think it's legitimate or is just completely fabricated?
Considering Activision leaks are real most of the time, I'd say it's likey that it is. And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. It's not the end of the world.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Man, reading the Geno thread a while ago made me really sorry for them. Depressing isn't the word to describe the mood there. At least Sepiroth is a cool character and all. Imagine if Crash lost his spot to freaking Tracer from Overwatch, I don't think i'd mentally survive that blow.

Last edited:

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Man, reading the Geno thread a while ago made me really sorry for them. Depressing isn't the word to describe the mood there. At least Sepiroth is a cool character and all. Imagine if Crash lost his spot to freaking Tracer from Overwatch, I don't think i'd mentally survive that blow.
I was there when the worst was happening. It was really bad.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Forgive my ignorance, but could you please give me an example of a past Activision leak being real?
I'll take it from here.

There's been plenty of examples:

-TheGamingRevolution leaking some forthcoming Call of Duty games a year or so ago, and that got a C&D
-The ongoing datamines for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled lasting so long that Beenox eventually caught on and decided to mess with the leakers about the identity of the final hidden racer
-The initial concept art leak for Crash 4 posted by Nicholas Kole, alongside the leak mentioning a game with multiple masks, world-travelling and playable Cortex. Not to mention the game being leaked a few days before the official announcement, with the Crash Twitter taking it in stride.
-Tony Hawk getting remakes being such a worse-kept secret that a big name rapper and even Tony Hawk himself mentioned them before they were officially announced

The only reason the current document leak is getting doubts is due to how well the identity of pass 2's fighters has been kept so far (although Verge seemingly was aware that Minecraft content could come), that it's seemingly impossible to logically reconciliate the two.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, as a Geno supporter on top of supporting other characters like Crash, it was a difficult day for us. Then again, it was also similar with toxic leak bandwagoning on Discord regarding the DQ heroes for six months straight. The only way a character is truly out at the end of the day is either a Mii Costume shows up or the end of the pass in question. Even if Geno is deconfirmed next Thursday, Crash still has 3 more chances to appear. It's not over until it's over

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I'll take it from here.

-TheGamingRevolution leaking some forthcoming Call of Duty games a year or so ago, and that got a C&D
-The ongoing datamines for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled lasting so long that Beenox eventually caught on and decided to mess with the leakers about the identity of the final hidden racer
-The initial concept art leak for Crash 4 posted by Nicholas Kole, alongside the leak mentioning a game with multiple masks, world-travelling and playable Cortex. Not to mention the game being leaked a few days before the official announcement, with the Crash Twitter taking it in stride.
-Tony Hawk getting remakes being such a worse-kept secret that a big name rapper and even Tony Hawk himself mentioned them before they were officially announced

The only reason the current document leak is getting doubts is due to how well the identity of pass 2's fighters has been kept so far (although Verge seemingly was aware that Minecraft content could come), that it's seemingly impossible to logically reconciliate the two.
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I believe Crash is still coming to Smash. Out of all Western IP, and iconic characters, albeit Steve is already one Western rep, I think Crash could still get the pass. I mean, they really can't afford to pass this one up (technically they could but, c'mon). Also, perhaps he's being saved for a closer date to the release of the Switch version of Crash 4: It's About Time.
If we get a non humanoid again for dlc, now for pass 2, honestly my biggest prediction for it would be Crash. It is the one that makes the most sense imo. Good luck guys!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Did you guys see the leak that is talked about in the newcomer speculation thread? It was posted on 5chan a bit after Steve was revealed, and it said that Sephiroth, Crash, Reimu, and KOS-MOS were all going to join in this pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Did you guys see the leak that is talked about in the newcomer speculation thread? It was posted on 5chan a bit after Steve was revealed, and it said that Sephiroth, Crash, Reimu, and KOS-MOS were all going to join in this pass.
5chan text leaks

For all we know, Seph was a lucky guess on its part.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Crash is indeed in Smash Ultimate, let's try to guess for a moment when the negotiations finalized. If we guess around E3 of last year or August, I think it would be more than safe to suggest that the aesthetics/games used for reference would be the N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled and not Crash 4.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Now that we'll be going into 2019 for CPs 9, 10, and 11, I remembered the supposed leaked 5-year plan document that detailed the plans for the Crash Bandicoot IP, and I believe it mentioned something about getting Crash into Smash in 2021. Well, that plan seems to be looking hella likely and I'm loving the idea; and even more as it can potentially line up with the announcement for Crash 4 for the Switch sometime in 2021.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Crash is indeed in Smash Ultimate, let's try to guess for a moment when the negotiations finalized. If we guess around E3 of last year or August, I think it would be more than safe to suggest that the aesthetics/games used for reference would be the N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled and not Crash 4.
Sounds about right. For a while now, I've been thinking that everything they've been doing in the last 5 years has possibly been setting up contingency plan after contingency plan, so that Crash's arrival coincides with whatever new game(s) he has and/or the 25th anniversary. To wit:

-N. Trilogy releases on 2017. Crash doesn't arrive in Ultimate's launch in 2018? Move to the next step below.
-Nitro-Fueled is announced at the VGAs 2018, and releases on 2019. Crash doesn't arrive in the Fighters Pass? Move to the next step below.
-Crash 4 is announced in June 2020, and releases on October. Crash doesn't arrive in the first half of Fighters Pass Vol. 2? Move to the next step below.
-Crash's 25th anniversary occurs in 2021, with On The Run releasing on March and an unannounced project coming. Crash arrives in Fighters Pass Vol. 2.

This is probably how it would be set up, so that they would achieve their goal no matter what happens.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sounds about right. For a while now, I've been thinking that everything they've been doing in the last 5 years has possibly been setting up contingency plan after contingency plan, so that Crash's arrival coincides with whatever new game(s) he has and/or the 25th anniversary. To wit:

-N. Trilogy releases on 2017. Crash doesn't arrive in Ultimate's launch in 2018? Move to the next step below.
-Nitro-Fueled is announced at the VGAs 2018, and releases on 2019. Crash doesn't arrive in the Fighters Pass? Move to the next step below.
-Crash 4 is announced in June 2020, and releases on October. Crash doesn't arrive in the first half of Fighters Pass Vol. 2? Move to the next step below.
-Crash's 25th anniversary occurs in 2021, with On The Run releasing on March and an unannounced project coming. Crash arrives in Fighters Pass Vol. 2.

This is probably how it would be set up, so that they would achieve their goal no matter what happens.
It was confirmed that negotiations for the second Fighter Pass concluded in January of this year in a Sakurai column, so the characters were decided by November or December at the latest.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'll take it from here.

-The initial concept art leak for Crash 4 posted by Nicholas Kole, alongside the leak mentioning a game with multiple masks, world-traveling, and playable Cortex. Not to mention the game being leaked a few days before the official announcement, with the Crash Twitter taking it in stride.

The only reason the current document leak is getting doubts is due to how well the identity of pass 2's fighters has been kept so far (although Verge seemingly was aware that Minecraft content could come), that it's seemingly impossible to logically reconcile the two.
Yeah, with all the rumors and leaks, Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa are most likely going to happen. It's really about that last character, which is a big unknown. My vote is for Gordon Freeman, but that's my bias talking. Though there are some things in his favor, I'm not holding my breath.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

5chan leak from right after Steve.Says Crash is coming and predicted Sephiroth. Odds are fake but hey stranger things have happened.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah, with all the rumors and leaks, Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa are most likely going to happen. It's really about that last character, which is a big unknown. My vote is for Gordon Freeman, but that's my bias talking. Though there are some things in his favor, I'm not holding my breath.
I feel like it'll be Crash, Phoenix Wright and Master Chief atm. With Honorable Mentions for Ryu, Monokuma and a Namco rep ( Lloyd/ The Chosen Undead)

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm sorry others are disappointed, but Sephiroth was a really exciting reveal for me personally even though I was hoping Crash would show up.

I'm a BIT worried for our marsupial friend though. I know he technically has 3 chances still, but it FEELS more like one because he seems to be the sort of character that would only be revealed at large events like E3 or TGA. I personally don't think we'll get to the next TGA without the pass being finished, but I suppose it's possible. I do know that Crash could be revealed at another time besides E3, but that still just seems to be the most likely to me. I'm still hopeful though that he's coming.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Crash, Hayabusa and ending on tha Chief sound like a win to me.
That would be amazing, and the most ideal for me. If you count Crash as an honorary Sony rep it's like all the companies are coming together for Smash. Sadly, given Microsoft tweeting that Cheif is "waiting" for his invitation, it's hard to believe that it's planned for this pass at least.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Anyone else wishing CTR Nitro-Fueled got a minor rerelease that adds skins of the main cast's updated designs from Crash 4? I wish they could also do full platform cross-play, but I don't think it would easy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Figured Since it has been over two years, I wanted to re vitalize my Crash Moveset. Just for fun, I will also make a Coco Echo as well.

Fighter Ability: Aku Aku

The guardian mask of the Crash series returns to protect the bandicoots in the fray. After 15 Seconds of losing Aku Aku, at the start of the match, or when KOd, Aku Aku will be summoned around Crash. If you have Aku Aku, it takes 25 seconds for him to power up to golden. Aku Aku has two levels. The first level gives Crash a knockback multiplyer ala Shield art (0.75x). The second layer also gives him heavy armor ala Tough Guy. For Crash to lose Aku Aku, there are a few ways. First, you can just cut the knot and kill him outright. Second, force Crash to take over 30% of damage while he has Aku Aku. If Aku Aku is Golden, then it means you must do 25 to knock him down to non Golden.

Stats
Weight: 84. Crash is relatively easy to beat around, but given how often he will have Aku Aku this is made less of an issue.
Walk Speed: 1.21. Crash's walk speed is slighty above average.
Run Speed: 1.88. Slighty faster than DK, Crash is relatively nimble, but not too much more so than the rest of the cast.
Air Speed: 1.208. Same as Mario and Sonic. Crash is relatively nimble in the air as a result.
Jump Height: 35 from full hop, identical to Sonic's
Fall Speed: 1.66, same as Meta Knight
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

Game Play Plan: Crazy Trapper and All Rounder
Crash and Coco are best played in a style that reflects how the Crash games function. There is a good bit of zaniness in terms of their overall expressions and moves.

While the two of them can fulfill the role of a rush down character, it is unwise. Save your times to rush in for when Aku Aku has your back and trading is not as dangerous. Play at a mid range game. Anti Air your opponents when needed. Use your specials to keep yourself safe.

Crash and Coco play best when they keeps his opponents on his toes, similar to a player in a Crash game. For most of a Crash game, you are not able to run in guns a blazing. You have to play a bit patiently, and wait for the right moment to proceed. They are easy to pick up, but truly harder to master, much like the classic games.

A Moves
Jab 1 - A simple karate chop diagonally in front of them (2%)
Jab 2- A quick spin that knocks foes away, note that the jab links together, no multi hits, good quick get off me tool (3%)
F Tilt- Crash/Coco does a swing with the yo yo (7%)
Up Tilt- Crash/Coco does a quick flip, swiping above him (6%)
Down Tilt- Crash's signature slide kick, can be jumped out of at the end, essential poke for Crash/Coco, one of his only tools to close a distance (7%)
Dash Attack- Crash/Coco hops on a random animal (Hog, Polar, Pura), and slides forward, animal does not matter for damage (6%)
U Smash - Crash/Coco plays the didgeridoo, tilting it around (3 hits), with the final "note" killing (11-17 damage, assuming all hits connect )
F Smash - Crash/Coco has a boulder roll in front of him a short distance before it disappears, good at controlling space, but not a great kill move, goes about 2-3 the distance of mega man's f smash (12-18 %)
D Smash- Crash/Coco break dances (similar to Sonic's down taunt and sheik's down smash, but with more range to the movement) (10-15%)
N air- Crash/Coco does a brief twirl in the air, similar to Pac Man or Villagers, but quicker (5%)
F air- Crash/Coco chops in front of him, similar to Luigi's fair (6%)
B air - Crash/Coco boosts away from the opponent with the Jet Pack from Crash 2. Works similar to Corrin's bair in which it aids in recovery, and helps his spacing,and is one of Crash's better kill moves (9%)
U Air- Crash/Coco do a quick flip upwards with the jetboard, dealing light damage (7%)
Down Air- Crash uses his famous body slam, can be buffered as a smash attack. Meteor smashes if hit under crash and not the sides (12-15% depending on smashed)
Down Air (Coco) - Coco does the Double Leg Drop she does instead of the ground pound. Same hitboxes, same meteor hitbox, same ability to be buffered like a Smash attack. Same damage.

Grabs and Throws
Grab- Crash/Coco Grabs the opponent with their right hand (the one Coco is not holding her laptop with)
Pummel-Crash/Coco headbutts the opponent, a bit slower than most pummels(3%)
F throw- Crash/CocoSpins the opponent away (7%)
B throw- similar to f throw (7%) this makes for good mix ups on that part
U throw- Crash/Coco throws them upward and tosses a Wumpa at them, this is Crash's best kill throw but even then it is not the most effective, only killing around 150% (10%)
D throw- Crash/Coco throws an opponent down and body slams them, decent for combos at low percent. Coco does the double leg drop instead, but it is functionally the same (6%)

B Moves
Neutral B- The Spin

By far Crash's most iconic move. If the button is tapped, Crash/Coco will just do a brief spin forward that deals 7%, and is probably one of Crash/Coco's best pokes and can even be used as a cross up aerial move. If the button is held, the move will do a total of 11%, and allows Crash/Coco to hover while in use, and is a multi hit unlike its tapped version. Does not put Crash/Coco into free fall. Can be angled while in use if held.

Side B- Wumpa Bazooka
This move fires shots of Wumpa fruit, each dealing 5% damage with a small amount of hit stun. Crash/Coco can fire one out of a short hop. This move allows Crash/Coco to force approaches, and is a rather powerful spacing tool. It only goes a little more than 1/2 of final destination, so it is not the best form of projectile camping in the game It mainly functions to net Crash/Coco some space, and grant him a tool to harass opponents.
By having this tool in his default moveset Crash/Coco is able to effectively force opponents to weave through the traps. Traps are nothing if the opponent never has to approach, after all.

Up B- TNT Hop
Crash/Coco hops on a TNT crate, which falls. The move has super armor on start up until crash gets off the crate, so it has limited armor frames. The crate will be destructive if a player hits it while it counts down. The explosion from the crate can damage Crash/Coco if he is not careful, and deals a solid 12% with good knock back. Think of it as a much more offensive Spring or Rush coil without as much range. This makes Crash/Coco have more of a mediocre recovery if the Spin is intercepted and they are not smart with this move. Much like the games, the crate remains for three seconds, until it explodes. It can explode prematurely if opposing hits are made, be it by an opponent or crash.
Crash/Coco's TNT Hop is meant to be used in neutral as a last ditch escape option if needed, similar to Sonic's spring. However, the kicker is that it is a very potent explosion as well. Crash/Coco can use the TNT crate as another tool for stage control, allowing them to get some breathing room and put a dangerous obstacle in their foes' path.

Down B- Nitro Crate
Crash/Coco lays down a Nitro crate, which damages an opponent for 9% if touched. Crash/Coco can lay down only one Nitro Crate at a time. Nitro Crates effectively act as a method of controlling space akin to the TNT crate. Nitro's explosion will cause any other nearby explosives that can be triggered to explode.
Nitros can be destroyed by strong enough projectiles or physical contact. However, Nitros are still strong due to the fact that oftentimes, they force opponents into the air to dodge them. This allows Crash/Coco to snipe at them with his bazooka, and possibly force a bad landing. Nitro at the edge is a really strong ledge control tool, as it can be used to restrict ledge options.

Final Smash- Aku Aku
Aku Aku goes onto Crash/Coco's face as they rush forward towards a Warp hole. If they hit someone, the opponent will be in a dazed animation as Crash and Coco look happy and immediately bolt because a giant boulder is closing in.

Misc. Stuff
Crash
Taunt 1 - Crash does his signature dance. Can be held out.
Taunt 2- Crash does his death spin he does on death in Crash 1
Taunt 3- Crash turns to the screen over his shoulder and raises his eyebrows, like before he jumps on Polar

Coco
Taunt 1- Coco sits down and plays on her laptop. Can be held out.
Taunt 2- Coco takes a selfie.
Taunt 3 - Coco will eat a wumpa like in Crash 4

On Screen Appearance- Crash/Coco jumps out of a warp from Crash 2-3

Crash
Victory 1- Crash's does the Crash dance version from CTR NF's podium victory
Victory 2- Crash tosses out a gem and does the Crash 1 Victory Pose
Victory 3- Crash does this victory pose from Crash 4

Coco
Victory 1 - Coco does her podium victory from CTR NF
Victory 2 - Coco does her own spin on the Crash dance
Victory 3- Coco this victory pose from Crash 4

Victory Fanfare- I tend to imagine the victory fanfare would be a few beats from the Crash 3 Warped main theme. It seems at this point that theme has become the standard theme for the series, so I feel it would be good.

Trivia about Crash/Coco
When hit by strong attacks, X marks can be seen in his eyes like he is crushed
Sometimes on death, an angel or shoes will appear (laptop in Coco's Case). Does not happen in 8 player smash

Notes: Coco's differences from Crash.
Coco was designed here to have as many similarities to Crash as possible. Outside of cosmetic differences, like idles, taunts, and victory poses, Coco really only has one move that is different, and it has the same functions as one of Crash's, it just looks different. Her mobility, weight, etc are all the same as Crash's. I guess Coco has a slightly bigger backwards hitbox due to the pony tail while Crash's is more in front due to his nose, but that is really it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Figured Since it has been over two years, I wanted to re vitalize my Crash Moveset. Just for fun, I will also make a Coco Echo as well.

Fighter Ability: Aku Aku

The guardian mask of the Crash series returns to protect the bandicoots in the fray. After 15 Seconds of losing Aku Aku, at the start of the match, or when KOd, Aku Aku will be summoned around Crash. If you have Aku Aku, it takes 25 seconds for him to power up to golden. Aku Aku has two levels. The first level gives Crash a knockback multiplyer ala Shield art (0.75x). The second layer also gives him heavy armor ala Tough Guy. For Crash to lose Aku Aku, there are a few ways. First, you can just cut the knot and kill him outright. Second, force Crash to take over 30% of damage while he has Aku Aku. If Aku Aku is Golden, then it means you must do 25 to knock him down to non Golden.
I don't want to be that guy but that kind of mechanic doesn't seem healthy for the game at all. Crash players would just camp until they get aku aku, and Crash's metagame would be defined by trying to not get hit until golden aku aku comes. Not to mention how broken it would be for a character like Crash who would be like Mario's size to have anything resembling of Bowser's though guy. Just no. Sometimes less is more, and I feel that's definitely the case in regards to Crash. As long as his moveset is fun and fits his personality by making him a fast, rushdown centered character I am satisfied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom