• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Band of the Hawk: you have brought shame among the hawks

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOLOLOL Believe me, if I had the money and power in Hollywood I would make as many movies as I could in my lifetime. That's what I want to end up doing anyway.

But the odds of that happening are so unbelievably low so if you want to wait a couple decades to see my first movie then be my guest ;)

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Living on a Lilypad: The Sebastian story

ur just not able to understand the movies Seb, so instead, u hate

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
LOLOLOL Believe me, if I had the money and power in Hollywood I would make as many movies as I could in my lifetime. That's what I want to end up doing anyway.

But the odds of that happening are so unbelievably low so if you want to wait a couple decades to see my first movie then be my guest ;)
Just go to film school with CogSmooch's wife.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Not true Phil. There are plenty of looked down upon movies that I enjoyed, like Shoot em up for instance. That movie was hated by the critics, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Heck I'd even agree that it could be a "bad" movie, but I still liked it.

What I'm talking about is when a film has SO much potential to be great and then the filmmakers lacked the courage for their convictions and make cop out films that appeal to the masses instead of trying just a little harder with the time and money they have to break new ground.

It's happened too many times before (usually with sequels), but a lot of the times it happens when you have a great director matched with a great actor with which they've previously collaborated and instead of making a cinematic masterpiece, they make a train wreck.

Take a look at Minority Report. It was the first time Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise worked together. And what did we get? A masterpiece. That is among the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. Three years later it was announced they'd be working together again on War of the Worlds. So naturaly, I was there opening night, expecting greatness. Instead I got a completely uninteresting and mediocre movie more about Tom Cruise's boring and annoying (Dakota Fanning) family relations than anything else. Spielberg is one of my favorite directors and I was a lot younger at the time so I was ****ing heartbroken at the sheer disappointment in every scene of that movie.

I've learned over the years, however, to not get my hopes TOO HIGH up. Instead I now go into movies knowing as little as possible about the plot and just take what I get. I barely read about Edge of Darkness on the internet and I saw that yesterday. It was alright and I enjoyed it (mostly) for what it was.

Just go to film school with CogSmooch's wife.
I dream of doing this every night.

Laijin

Smash Hero
So guys, since the Academy Award nominees will be announced tomorrow and since it's pretty obvious which films are going to be nominated for best picture (there are ten nominees for this category this year instead of the traditional five), what movie did you think was the best film of 2009?

My favorite film of 2009 is Inglorious Basterds.
I'm 100% sure Avatar will win.
Its so obvious.
Inglorious *******s would have been awesome without the super long talk scenes. Seriously..it got to a point where some of the content in the talking scenes were just pointless and had nothing to do with continuing the plot.
Otherwise it was pretty awesome.
In my opinion though, Star Trek deserves the award.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm 100% sure Avatar will win.
Its so obvious.
Nah, it's certainly going to be nominated, and as much as I loved it, it is not the best film of 2009. It's DEFINITELY going to win best visual effects and probably most of the other technical categories such as sound editing, sound mixing, etc.

Right now I think The Hurt Locker is the favorite to win.

edit- LOL Laijin, it's a Tarantino flick, there's always going to be a lot of talking :laugh:

Star Trek was awesome.

Lobos

Smash Master
lol rei.....silly man I never buy anime....and I've been watching anime since 2001....early dates if you want to count dbz or sailor moon lol

but nah im no otaku, atleast not to that extent

thumbswayup

Smash Master
ok.

10chars
lolol she will be the only reason I see Prince of Persia, if I ever do.

Haha, I do the same.

It all started when I first watched Dragonball when I was 5 years old at my Japanese friend's house... oh the memories
First I saw was DBZ when I was 9 lol

Yes I finally beat god knows on OSU!

If you don't know what im talking about then check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bj855S3-80 not me playing but i just beat the same song
Best song in the series.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Otakus are people who are OBSESSED about it. And absolutely obsessed people do support the companies and BUY things.

My first was Totoro when I was 2. I saw Hokuto no Ken the OVA at my Grandpa's house when I was 5 or 6 (no subs), can't quite remember. I had no idea what was going on, and it was gory as ****

Reioumu

Smash Lord

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Saw that in the Pound 4 thread a while back. It made me sick to my stomach, and yet I watched the whole **** thing...

then I showed it to my co-workers and ruined their day :D

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
ROFL! I watched it on Tosh.0 a couple months ago and tried finding right after I watched it but couldn't find it anywhere. I was mad happy when I found it like a few minutes ago =3 It kinda just fell into my lap =3

Top Bottom