• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

clowsui

Smash Legend
My coaching and teaching ability is among the best in the MW imo. I helped develop some of MJG's winning strategies for doubles for APEX2013. I also practiced a lot w Zinoto on WiFi and taught him some stuff back when he was getting better last summer. I taught Shugo the Diddy MU back in like 2009 (not like he wasn't ****** AZ anyways).

Also Shaya what do you think I do vs Calvin online? ;p If he's not playing to par he gets destroyed (I mean 'Chi-is-up-2-to-1-stocks-and-I-am-going-to-need-a-hail-mary-to-win' destroyed). I have way lower placings than him in tournament and live in a worse region (IMO) but I still do work against him. That being said my win rate against him is something like 4-6, which shows you how consistent he is (and how solid our connection is lol).

Apparently you can shield DK's Dtilt spam, then let go of shield and walk forward a bit all before he starts up another Dtilt. Go figure.

6 frame hitlag on falco shield from shielding DK Dtilt.
7 frame shield stun ?
8 frame shield stun ?
9 drop lag
10 drop lag
11 drop lag
12 drop lag
13 drop lag
14 drop lag
15 drop lag
16 walk
17 walk
18 walk
19 walk
20 walk
21 walk
22 walk
1 walk
2 walk
3 shield
4 shield
5 shield
6 hitbox out

Compared to marth which is
7 frame hitlag on falco shield from shielding Marth Dtilt.
8 frame shield stun ?
9 frame shield stun ?
10 drop lag
11 drop lag
12 drop lag
13 drop lag
14 drop lag
15 drop lag
16 drop lag
17 dash
18 dash
19 dash
20 dash
21 dash
22 dash
1 dash attack
2 dash attack
3 dash attack
4 dash attack
5 dash attack
6 dash attack hitbox out
7 hitbox out

Didn't think we could punish Marth's Dtilt on shield.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth should never double down tilt.

Your best immediate option against down tilt is
shield drop, move forward, reshield (for the power shield)

That's how you beat every multi move spam on shield, by the way. Works against everything.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I only double dtilt on the back of Falco's shield. Also when I'm certain I'll hit w the first untipped dtilt at lower percents and I can confirm into another dtilt

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also I think your Math is wrong.

Marth's dtilt is -8 and comes out in 7 frames, so after a 7 frame shield drop, so you've got 8 frames of time, not 12. That could be right for tipper dtilt, but that's kinda risky to go for something that will likely get shielded.

Marth should never double down tilt.

Your best immediate option against down tilt is
shield drop, move forward, reshield (for the power shield)

That's how you beat every multi move spam on shield, by the way. Works against everything.
Marth probably shouldn't attempt dtilt -> dtilt in a row, but the fact is that some player somewhere WILL do that. I like to know what I should do to counter and punish certain things in the game if they are at all possible to accomplish. I don't bother with this all the time, but something like this every once in a while will add to my knowledge of the game and something to do next time I encounter it.
Also I think your Math is wrong.

Marth's dtilt is -8 and comes out in 7 frames, so after a 7 frame shield drop, so you've got 8 frames of time, not 12. That could be right for tipper dtilt, but that's kinda risky to go for something that will likely get shielded.
Oh, I am most certain my math is wrong other than a few quick glances at a couple of information dumps. If I really wanted the Math right, I would go into brawl with frame advance code and test it myself to convince me and not trust someone else's work willy-nilly. Just I need to get my new wii decked out with the hax stuff. That was sort of a primarily look to see if its worth wasting time into looking further. (I wasted a ton of time seeing if jab -> Utilt was a true thing with Snake or the Ftilt1 advantage on hit with Snake). I think the shield stun is longer and I am not sure if the Marth window for IASA is shorter on Dtilt or same for any other move.

Additionally, even if attempting to go for a shield drop -> dash attack after shielding a Marth Dtilt is possible to be shielded, I would have to see the straight up frame data on it. If its a really tight window of like 1-2 frames, I'll likely not bother with it. But, if its something like 3-6 frame window that is completely reasonable I believe in human capacity with practice to nail down every single time and not worry about being punished for me being too slow. If its not possible to do shield drop -> dash attack 100% to work, then I'll just ignore it period.

Speaking of which I am not sure if you can shield drop -> dash attack a spaced MK Dsmash. I try for it everytime, but keep getting hit by a 2nd Dsmash or shielded.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth's dtilt is -7* on shield.
Your shield drop frames is 7
In other words, shield drop dash attack will work 0% of the time against Marth who chooses to shield or spot dodge.
In other words, shield drop dash attack will work 0% of the time against Marth who chooses to jab or dancing blade.
In other words, shield drop dash attack on well spaced dtilts will work 0% of the time if Marth grabs.
> continued list of 0%s.

I'm telling you now though.
Shield drop.
Reshield
is
a
free
power
shield

A power shield from Marth's dtilt is a 50% chance of dash attack working. If its close enough, it's 100%. If it's not too close, shield/spot dodge will avoid it.

That's kinda basic though... Falco's entire high level crutch is the strength of power shield dash attack.... You should be fully aware of it's strengths and be abusing it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Kismet and I had some good games last night. We played out a set at the end. It may or may not be uploaded lol. Game 1 I came back from a full stock deficit, Game 2 he did a combo vid on me, and Game 3 was Yoshi's and some lag spikes. In any case look forward to this if it's uploaded! =)

@Clowsui: Wait, why wouldn't it be uploaded? lol

@Shaya: Well, I am not totally convinced yet because Steel has his Dtilt hitbox duration listed differently from a very reliable source.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/autoframe/FitMarth.php Dantarion said that he simply did a huge info dump from the ProjectSmashAttack to make that resource which were gotten directly from the game files (which match on the PSA when opened which is used for move editing). So, this resource and Steel have the Hitbox duration and endtime animation listed differently by about 3 frames difference. I wonder if the shield stun was done correctly as well when Steel did this. From the other resource which has been always accurate for me in the past in testing says Marth's Dtilt is active hitbox on frame 7-9 which is actually more believable than a 7 frame duration for an active hitbox instead of 7-13. And the full animation ends on frame 49 and not 47. But, that last one for duration doesn't matter. Anyway, point is that since I see something incorrect, I'll have to do it myself which I'll probably do tonight after work.

But, your probably right anyway about it being unusable. Just my personality though lol

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Frames.

All I know is that I'm pretty sure we can just Jab OoS against Marth Dtilt. The difference between Jab and Dash Attack is only 2 frames soooo I'm probably wrong assuming no powershield. DK's Dtilt is free

clowsui

Smash Legend
Dk's dtilt is comparable in range but not in disjoint. Also jabbing marth's hand during dtilt isn't helpful anyways lol

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I just went through the last 3 or 4 pages on this thread. There has not been discussion this good in ages on here. Good to see many big name falcos posting.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Pausing relevant discussion for a sec.

sounds good to me :o i play it from both sides since i play marth/falco against each other instead of dittos :p so it'll be nice to have something to watch

You won't....

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
hm? I quit pit permanently in light of smash 4. Character is boring to me now. Snake/marth/falco for funsies. I've always loved marth. But character dedication was op. I played yoss at nll last month in friendlies. Matchup was fun.

i've also been going 90% falco in every tourney for the past like 5 months o.o

Ftilt vs Dtilt Comparison Info Dump

Hitbox range comparison
-All hitboxes on Ftilt are the same with 9% damage 361 angle (special angle) with 100 KGB. Special feature is ability to angle it up, down, or middle height.
-Dtilt hitboxes all do 75 degree angle with 25 BKB and 90 KGB. The inner two hitboxes do 12% while the tip doe 9%

Data Comparison
Ftilt
-Hitbox Active 6-8
-IASA 27

Dtilt
-Hitbox Active 7-9
-IASA 27
-40% chance for trip.

Reality Check...
-While Ftilt has more range and the ability to be angled, the nature of its hitbox angle and knockback amount is that it always resets the situation to neutral. No decent follow-up ability at all unless it puts someone offstage. Additionally, Falco's foot is still protruding forward some number of frames after the hitbox ends.
-Dtilt has less range than Ftilt and will always sweep lower. However, it is effectively more disjointed horizontally because after the hitbox ends Falco has already swept his protruding hitbox (tail) back to the rest of his body frame. The increased damage increases shield stun and push from shield. This combined with the retreating tail makes it potentially safe on shield against certain characters. Best of all is Dtilt's ability to allow for follow-up which Ftilt cannot do.
-Need more info, but preliminary look gives the idea that provided someone does not jump or has a fast aerial Falco can guarantee a follow-up after Dtilt usage near 0%-70%. Otherwise, the situation after Dtilt is not neutral as Ftilt would give you.

Summary:
Ftilt
+Range
+Ability to Tilt
-Resets to neutral

Dtilt
+Safer on shield
+Very advantageous position after usage
-One frame slower on start-up
-Limited to low sweep near the ground.

TO DO LIST.

IAP Usage on Shield
-Preliminary look seems about 11 frames disadvantage after shield drop. Did not clarify max/min advantage depending upon which hitbox of phantasm hits shield first. Therefore, probably about 11 frame disadvantage and plus or minus 2 frames as a guess.
-Should consider glide tosses as possible means of punishment from diddy/peach. Along with characters with fast dash attacks and range. Recall that turning around always means 1 frame before any other action can occur.
-Theory is that countering phantasm 100% of the time by shielding and punish ending lag might potentially be impossible for certain characters. In which case more reliable strategy is simply to just hit falco out of phantasm with a well-timed hitbox.

Fair is bad
-Don't bother trying to see if its good somehow.

Nair Canceled
-Nair canceled on the ground before final hit actually gives a positive advantage for falco. Due to fixed knockback reliable at all percents.
-Actual advantage dependent upon height relative to the ground, character choice, and frame of hitbox.
-After testing a few characters, fairly confident to say that nair canceled -> jab is guaranteed. Grab/Usmash depending upon opponents actions.

Invincibility on Shine(?)
-When reflecting something on a frame... that very same frame Falco is immune to knockback, but can still take damage?

Boost Pivot Grab
-Which characters can Falco guarantee the ability to boost pivot grab on if done correctly compared to a regular chain grab?

Battlefield top platform shenanigans
-Can land on to platform with Dair and auto-cancel. Can this combo into Usmash at kill percents?
-Can full hop into two lasers with lagless laser possible?

ASDI into Ground?
-Melee has the ability to ASDI certain moves into the ground and due to this can actually tech in place ready for a punish. By personal experience have had this happen before on certain moves like Link's Jabs and other moves in brawl. However, seem to have problems replicating consistently in brawl unlike melee which is simple. What causes this sometimes in brawl, but all the time in melee? How could this be duplicated more reliably and result to tech in place?

@Shaya: I finally got around to Marth's Dtilt in frame advance. At non-tipper range and varies ranges in between, I consistently kept getting a +2 frame advantage for Falco after factoring in shield drop time. +9 with no shield drop. At tipper range, Falco had a +7 frame advantage after shield drop.

Either way, marth can just shield whatever falco attempts to do after dtilt. Sad to hear that :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh, I thought you knew that lol @ the we can shield anything part.

And Marth's tipper ditlt is -14 on shields? what?

Also forward air has one niche purpose. Well.. two... kinda
Snake's bair will save him by making him land on stage or a platform instead of missing them/the edge. Falco's fair flattens his body and allows those clutch things to happen.
Everything special about fair is its flattening of falco's body as a property. Hard read gimps are possible because you can aim for someone's head, and not have dangly bits and abuse a lot of people's blind spots whilst recovering. Not to say you should ever do it in a tournament set, but yolo friendlies + what you can do when there's 10 seconds left on the timer and they want to time you out from the ledge ;).

Example:
Ledge drop for whatever reason. Enemy player speed hugs you and you react pseudo poorly. You jump but he's still on the ledge with a tad of invincibility and you'll soon be below him without a jump forced to use UpB.
Somewhere along the way, fair would've saved Falco from a scenario that's probably a lot higher than 50% chance of dying. Albeit landing on stage with lag

Whilst uncommon for "good fair scenarios" on most stages. Semi thoroughfare like Delfino and Halberd are a lot more likely to have a scenario where fairing will get you on stage instead of falling to your death.

Its still good to have done that Shaya because I was surprised to see its a +2 advantage off shield drop. Flack's jab is frame two. So marth is just barely powershielding it. That to me given the human element is good enough for mix-ups where shield drop -> dash attack/jab/ftilt might be worth going for depending upon the player.

There is a bit of lag on Dtilt, shield drop, hit stun, and shield stun to the point where Falco can reliably react to Dtilt on shield into dropping and jab. Marth is not really in the position to react to anything. He has to guess whether to shield or do something else after hitting with Dtilt.

@Fair: Every single instance of using Fair that comes to my mind involves using the move where your momentum is going with the opponent so you can adjust to their SDI if at all by drifting, or you get the move to stall in the air and again adjust with drifting (short hop fair comes to mind). I am always more worried someone will SDI/ASDI out of the move and I get stuck in lots of landing lag.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Uair fast falled on the ground can actually combo into a grab at 0 or so vs Snake. I wanna see who else this works on so I'll look into that.

A certain frame on Uair has literally no knockback, but the same everything else.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Up your reactionary threshold by around 5 frames. A lot of your actions are within that timeframe of being successful or unsuccessful.
So doing things just that little bit later, on average.

Two examples
Your bair. I feel like a lot of your bairs that hit ADHD's shield could've been held a tad bit longer and hence retreated just that slightly more. ADHD did get quite a few PS, so this is a "2 frames before or after and I wouldn't have gotten the boop".
Your hit confirms. Getting hits of bair, nair or ftilt and then jabbing (nothing). Could've just been your buffer mistakes on a regular basis but you're throwing away so much pressure or opportunity for continued hits when stuff like that happens.

Your Falco is so nice though.

I also had written something about using your mid air jump or even attempting footstool jumps evasively from time to time, rather than the oft landing bair. Something something something. I would have a hard time wording this.

Considering the recent relevancy, anyone want to make a bet that at 2.12 a fair would've saved Bloodcross by having him land onstage? :p

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I don't go for a lot of consecutive hits because this is Brawl. But I really don't Jab enough and I just don't know why I don't.

Anyway, for Side B, I'm dumb so I forgot when the move is "invincible" (not technically, I mean when it has a hitbox but not a hurtbox). It just helps for me to get in the habit of ACTUALLY TIMING the move correctly (like vs snake's grenades) instead of solely throwing the move out.

Also, I'd still love to know the frame data on weak uair... as I want to call it. No info on that anywhere.

How do you mean? Everything you need to know about the move except hitstun duration is already known about.

Hitlag = Floor( Move% + 3/ 3)

Uair – AttackAirHi
IASA: 35
HitsOn:10-14
Hitlag(StrongHit): 9
Hitlag(WeakHit):???
Landing Lag: 15
Autocancel: 1-6, 26->

All three of these hitboxes are present during frame 10-14. The one with size 4.8 is a little disjointed from Falco's foot. The middle one is located around his knee. While the weak hitbox (one with 20 knockback growth) is centered around his waist. So, if you want the weak hitbox to come out you have to aim to hit with only the middle of falco's body rather than the tip. Image Here!

@Bloodcross: Since you mentioned it about Snake and Uair.
Fresh Uair, strong hitbox from 0%.
-Snake is in 21 frames of hitstun before he can jump. -15 frames for landing lag. Comparison (it was like 14 frames for the weak hitbox).
-Jiggs 22 frame of hitstun before a jump comes out same situation as snake.
-MK 21 frames of hitstun before a jump comes out same situation as Snake.
-Marth 21 frame of hitstun before a jump comes out.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
"Image Here!"

Nope.

But yeah I was gonna post to say it's about spacing and not timing, and that this hitbox is unsafe as hell since it involves you overlapping with your opponent.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't go for a lot of consecutive hits because this is Brawl. But I really don't Jab enough and I just don't know why I don't
You misunderstood me.
From hitconfirms on a relative amount of knockback (say, hitting someone with ftilt or an aerial such as bair into landing) and then you buffer a jab or something as your pseudo option select for them shielding. I genuinely think you can react better than that for sure. And I'm sure you do, against any level of player below you.

E.g.
You bair for an AC landing
buffer a turn around jab
hit nothing

insteaddddddd
bair for an ac landing
buffer a dash (or for something a bit more option-selecty just hold forward for walking, remember, Falco has one of the better walking speeds)
until around the time you're able to shield....
he's still in pseudo-hit stun (either in air dodge, just starting an aerial attack or doing nothing - | NO FAST FALLS ARE POSSIBLE YET nor any alternation of your trajectory at this point)
crouch for fair. Shield for fair too if you'd like. Just react to the now must stronger positional advantage you have.

If you're hitting Diddy towards any given ledge, rather than hitting him towards centre stage then IMO there's no reason not to want to get in that bit closer afterwards (as you're still in control of centre stage from their perspective and laser/side b stance is just a boring reset to neutral.

You capitalising on these situations rather than throwing them away would be getting you "more".

If you give me a sperm and egg and I can control all conditions from temperature, molecular directions, people interactions, their whole life, I can create whoever I want and get them to say whatever I want at any time. If I did it again the exact same way as before everything that person did would play out exactly the same right down to the same minute details.

I don't really believe in free will at all. Heck, even this post I am making is happening because the right chemical singles in my brain, the planet existing, etc. all came together in the right order to make me want to say these exact words.

That's what I believe.

I think Sipder man is that random guy in Spider Man's high school class as a kid he knows of only because his name is so similar to Spider Man's, but he never actually ends up talking with him at all. Then, he randomly learns one day that that guy is really the cousin of someone you know named Slender man.

SpiderMan <-Former high shool classmate-> SipderMan <-Cousins-> SlenderMan

Or in my case, the daughter of Sprecher Brewery's President/CEO is in my Mythology Discussion.

Top Bottom