• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

CrackHead

Smash Journeyman
It's like the guy selling only rowboats after motorboats come out and wondering where the hell the customers are.

i say the community is good as is, doesnt matter if there are new ppl imo, would be nice if there is though. and about the rowboats,moterboats thing comparing to melle and brawl its more like.

... i dont know how to say it without sounding like a ******* LOL

but melee = black and white rowboat
brawl = rowboat with color.....but performs worse
lol

Metà

Smash Master
Sh*t, Filefront is going down on monday. We should probably download whatever old matches are still on there, cause I remember there being a bunch of BC videos on it.

I'd do a search but I'm lazy : /

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I started comp smash because of brawl lol. Before I was just like, "lol my ness is so good, but for some reason my up airs make me lose my second jump." "You should use c-stick" "No, I want keep using control stick so I'm still good at Adventure mode."

lolwut.

Truth be told, we thought we could only use c-stick for smashes too. Not throws, aerials, rolls, spot dodges, and just about everything else you can use them for.

unityole

Smash Lord
The way I see it, Brawl was a little kickstart to community growth and it lasted until the 2 games core communities were seperated and considered different.

I started hosting more and actually travelling for competition after Brawls release because 1) I got a car 2) It was slow season for music but most importantly 3) There were FINALLY local people HERE that were active with the smash community. Brawl players that have never seen melee, melee players that quit a couple years ago because of lack of competition finally finding people to play some smash with because of the new games appeal, everything.

We have a melee community in the Okanaga, and it's actually growing quite quickly. All it needed was a push, and the push started with Brawl. After I hosted a few little things, then finally a large tournament where everybody could play the other players that wanted to get competitive got a chance to meet. With a good showing, good competition and regular smashing, the community bloomed in Brawl and after they got to a high enough level to actually understand the concept of competitive smash, they saw the (very few and limited) melee competitive players (me, Daltsy, Lib, jugfingers) play each other. They love melee too, but how are they gonna grow in the game? People need to play them, come to BRAWLFESTS for MELEE because THAT'S how it starts. Not the other way around, especially not when the game they enjoy (anyone's passion) is frowned upon.

Didn't Jackfests start up around Brawls release? And weren't they decent sized partially because of Brawl? Why did you guys push that away? Take anyone as an example! How about Clouderz? He's a great Brawl (SMASH) player, and he's taking a love of melee, only because he's seen it, felt it, something that never would've happened had the two communities not intertwined.

there are couple of reasons we've stopped brawl. after brawl came out i've hosted maybe 7-8 tournaments including both melee & brawl. bth i've seen a lot of new faces, or the old melee players that used to play melee, started to brawl. as tournament count gets higher, brawl tourney size gets smaller and eventually at my last tourney we only had 11 entrants for brawl.

not including the people that couldnt make it (eg kelowna players, kamloop players and victoria players. trozz, james, AJ etc). mak-dall, thekoopasbro, hershel, gerald, nathan9941, jeff, and a bunch of other players, i have only seen them maybe once or twice and they stopped making appearance. there are also some UBC players rarely show up due to their exams and travelling distance. ontop of that, matt tiep ryab and john, they used to enter brawl events, i don't know if they still do but its happening less and less.

counting all that up, we've got at least 10 brawlers, not to mention there are bunch of others names i couldnt recall. overall we've lost quite a number of people in brawl. of course there are still people out there who brawls hard. ced/corbin/ twilightshadow / clouderz etc, but with only those players brawl tournament wont be as big in size as it was half a year ago.

as far as smashfest goes, # of people demands melee are quite high, and the brawl players giving conditions that they have a higher chance of making it if there is a brawl tournament instead of fest. which in this case not likely to happen due to lack of TVs, lack of people and cost of money and time to run the events.

i personally dont think brawl is all that bad. ive seen some great brawl videos of 2 pro players going at each other. not making mistake and be fast, spotdodge airdodge and spacing constantly arent something easy to do.

Ewic/ StarWaffle/ whomevers out there that brawls, speak your mind about this, talk to us and we'll work something out, as i previously stated, i will most likely host another tourney if there are enough interests.

unrelated note:

Foolish pushing away what's on your side. Do you kill your doubles partner when they're setting up a combo for you?
only Bwmat does that

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
only Bwmat does that
I must admit, I laughed pretty hard at that.

And enough with the boat talk, barlw is New Coke, end of discussion.

"Despite New Coke's acceptance with a large number of Coca-Cola drinkers, a vocal minority of them resented the change in formula and were not shy about making that known"

"By the end of the year, Coke Classic was substantially outselling both New Coke and Pepsi, putting the company back into the number-one position it has enjoyed ever since."

Just replace Coke with Smash, drinkers with players, and Pepsi with some other inferior game, and there you have our story.

cedrick

Smash Apprentice
hey guys me and corbin have retired from brawl. it was fun when it first came out but not really anymore lol. uhh i might come play the next sfu to play some out of towners but that will probably be it. corbin and his friends are getting pretty good at sf4 apparently

as far as the community goes, yeah, there were some of us who got into the smash scene purely because of brawl. I had lots of fun and met a number of cool people. Though, as time went on i found brawl getting increasingly boring until eventually i stopped playing it altogether. I dont think theres any reason not to have brawl tournaments going. regardless of what people say there is some complexity to it and it can get pretty fun

unityole

Smash Lord
hey guys me and corbin have retired from brawl. it was fun when it first came out but not really anymore lol. uhh i might come play the next sfu to play some out of towners but that will probably be it. corbin and his friends are getting pretty good at sf4 apparently

as far as the community goes, yeah, there were some of us who got into the smash scene purely because of brawl. I had lots of fun and met a number of cool people. Though, as time went on i found brawl getting increasingly boring until eventually i stopped playing it altogether. I dont think theres any reason not to have brawl tournaments going. regardless of what people say there is some complexity to it and it can get pretty fun
i do wish that u would get into melee, and get better at it!

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I guess I got into the smash scene because of Brawl. When Brawl's release was coming up I picked up Melee again the summer before, got really competitive with it for a few months up until Brawl's release, played it for a while, decided I couldn't play Brawl without screwing up my Melee game, and went back to Melee for a while. At that point, I was still fairly serious about smash and really did want to get better, and I attended mainland tournaments and smashfests when I could. I still entered Brawl tournaments, but never took it seriously. I like Brawl (though I like Melee more), but the moment I take it too seriously it becomes a lot less fun for me.

Fast forward a few months and now I feel like I peaked a while ago and I'm just not getting any better, in Melee or Brawl. (maybe that's why I've been playing a lot of 64 lately and having the most fun with it?) It's more of a personal mindset than anything; I just don't really have the urge to practice and get better and I'm fairly busy with school and other priorities, but I still play the game a lot, mostly at Victoria's smash nights. Don't get me wrong, I still love smash and I'll probably keep playing it for a while longer, but as paradoxical as it sounds, I've pretty much become a casual competitive player. I play by tournament rules and I still enter tournaments, and I do alright and I don't care. I personally have a lot more fun when there's nothing huge on the line. Heck, the reason I started smashing competitively started with a ton of Melee friendlies against my brother almost every day for that first summer (Doc vs. Pika all day long), well before I knew how to wavedash or l-cancel or got into any smash community.

Even in this case, I still haven't quit completely mainly because I <3 the community so much, especially the Victoria community. Everyone generally gets along, there isn't a huge amount of drama that goes on (save for big things that need to get resolved quickly), we have a decent skill base for smash (though nothing compared to the mainland), new people seem to keep coming in at the start of every term (at the end of last summer we had about 7 smashers, now our meetings get on average at least 10 people every week, I think) and overall we just have a great group of guys. I've made so many new friends just because we all share the same gaming passion, and we all have a great time. I don't really go so much anymore for the game (heck, I've played more SF3 and SF4 at smash nights than smash itself), but more for the people there, and it's awesome. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wow, long winded post that went kinda off topic. That's my situation, though. TL;DR: Yeah, I guess Brawl got me into smash. But it's gonna take a lot more than Brawl getting boring to make me quit smash.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Btw, Matt, Tim was telling me you play other fighters. I want to play some with you, alright?

lol at James's analogy earlier. James does it more than Matt, killing his partner more in doubles. jeeez. My poor Sheik. :/

Metà

Smash Master
Matt's really good at killing me though, and he's inventive about it too. He's accidentally killed me with Falcon punch before, no joke. He's even shine gimped me at close to 0% on occasion as well. He's a natural!

Bwmat

Smash Ace
my best partner killing move is the knee, for sure.

"oh no, nathan is getting comboed, let's throw a knee over there and hope it saves him"

"whoops"

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
mat we miss u dude, see if u can make to the smashfest at sfu this coming weekend. 1st saturday in april. i do hope to see u there!
I really want to, but it's the last week of classes this week and my first exam is on the Tuesday after, so I need to study. I'm done on the 22nd and will be back the weekend after, so I'll probably be at TS3, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm returning to EA for the summer, so I'll be around every once in a while if people hold fests.

lib3r4t3 said:
Btw, Matt, Tim was telling me you play other fighters. I want to play some with you, alright?
I mostly play SF2HD/SF3/SF4, but there's a bit of a hitch. I'm on a Mac, so I can't run GGPO, and my 360 won't get online here in Victoria for some reason (it works fine in Abbotsford), so I'm restricted to offline play. I'm looking at getting Windows for GGPO, but I don't know yet. Sure, I'd love to play if I can. The island really doesn't have much of an SF community. :(

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
Yeah SF4! Chun Li/Dhalsim FTW! **** Sagat, **** character is top tier in pretty much every game he's in....Tiger Shot spam + Tiger Uppercut + poking is as annoying as Falco SHL in melee.

Rufus is hilarious in that game being like the first male character to utilize the boob physics. :laugh:

unityole

Smash Lord
eric and tim are both coming to this saturday's smashfest, so smashfest is a go even without confirmation. from now on i work 8 to 12 on saturday so the room now opens at 1 pm.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
lol, James dropped down after respawning with a falcon punch, only hit jugfingers, his partner at the time, and killed him, just last sat too.
That was the best kill all match. He was combo'd into it by Daltsy too. Right in the middle of the action. :p

I really want to, but it's the last week of classes this week and my first exam is on the Tuesday after, so I need to study. I'm done on the 22nd and will be back the weekend after, so I'll probably be at TS3, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm returning to EA for the summer, so I'll be around every once in a while if people hold fests.

I mostly play SF2HD/SF3/SF4, but there's a bit of a hitch. I'm on a Mac, so I can't run GGPO, and my 360 won't get online here in Victoria for some reason (it works fine in Abbotsford), so I'm restricted to offline play. I'm looking at getting Windows for GGPO, but I don't know yet. Sure, I'd love to play if I can. The island really doesn't have much of an SF community. :(
Capcomy Vsiez SNKpoo 2? I **** everyone at it ;P

SAYS THE PEACH PLAYER LOOOOOL

seriously

Lasers are worse hhahhaa

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
lol, James is so cocky since I lost to him like, once at CvS2.

CvS2 is the main one I play, Matt, but only because of my lack of access to other games. I'd love to try SF4, and I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to play SF3S. Please no Alpha games btw. ): Tried once, albeit a rom, and ewww... Super Turbo maybe too, I don't get what all the hype is about ST, but I ahven't played much of SF2 other than SF2T.

GGPO?

Btw, Jamesies, what the hell was I doing at that time? I have a strong feeling I was charging needles or some **** lol. Must've just gimped you.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I've never played CVS2, actually. Been wanting to try it at some point, but never did get into it, mostly because I've never been able to find a copy.

I got a ton of 3S practice at EA since they have a machine there on free play, and a lot of people better than me :D. I've got a few people that play it here, though my win record goes anywhere from 50-50 to ten game win streaks here and there, and I want some better competition. There's one guy that's pretty good (who also kicks my butt at Guilty Gear), and a bunch of people that are okay, but definitely improving.

Alpha 2's kinda fun, and the SNES version was what got me on fighting games in the first place. I didn't really understand Super Turbo until I bought HD Remix and started playing it against actual people online, and I'm having a great time with it.

GGPO - a special arcade emulator used for playing a bunch of fighting games online without any or lag. It's really cool how it works. It's Windows only, though, so I can't play it. Try it out.

http://ggpo.net/

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=50330

^ cool feature I found lying around, tells you how many times each person posted in a given topic, in this case, the BC thread

firexemblemxpryde 981
Hitsugaya 932
xXx-NoobKing-xXx 795
Patooty 744
Metà 721

Just thought I'd share that randomly, lol
Wow.... I'm somewhere in the top 15%. That's a really bizarre feature. Also, chances are I'm not going to make it out this weekend. I'm flat broke, and I have a philosophy essay to start.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
In before "brawl sucks", "**** brawl", and all the other statements.

There are people that play Brawl here, though I don't know how many of those people you'll find on the mainland in the Vancouver area, where Melee is pretty dominant. I know there's a bunch on the island, though. There's a few people here would play Brawl if they had to (or maybe if there's money involved), but would rather play Melee if it's available.

I don't mean to discourage you (there are some decent Brawl players lying around somewhere), but that's kinda the way it's been lately. I personally don't hate the game, but I'm from the island (and I don't have my Wii right now), so I can't really do much to help, sorry.

edit: Well, I tried. Dangit, Yakal... :p

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
A brawl FC thread would generally not be too useful. Most people who play brawl, aside that one yoshi player somewhere in BC and Koskinator, have a community to play with, and generally don't like Wifi, to my knowledge anyway. Most stronger players in the Okanagan area don't even have a wii + brawl.

Like TC said, there are some brawlers in the lower mainland (like ced... and corbin) but the main brawl hotspots, to my knowledge is the Okanagan and the Island.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice

Sorry AJ; even then I think you're out of luck. Yeah, it's mostly the okanagan and the island, but even then, a lot of the brawlers that came to our last biweekly came from Port Alberni. We have a surprisingly large 64 community, though. :p

unityole

Smash Lord
Sorry AJ; even then I think you're out of luck. Yeah, it's mostly the okanagan and the island, but even then, a lot of the brawlers that came to our last biweekly came from Port Alberni. We have a surprisingly large 64 community, though. :p
let me play those 64 dudes, bring them to SFU, or TS3

unityole

Smash Lord
Wow.... I'm somewhere in the top 15%. That's a really bizarre feature. Also, chances are I'm not going to make it out this weekend. I'm flat broke, and I have a philosophy essay to start.
i understand, thats why i stopped hosting smash tourneys to save some money

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I thought it was because you were mad.

I know, idk, they might come out more if there gets a bigger community. That's probably partially the reason why they lost interest.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
So does anyone play brawl in here? Just wondering how viable/useful a BC Brawl FC thread would be.
What region are you in? You could make the thread anyway, could be handy to someone but for the most part people like the games in person.

What we do need is a BC Brawl thread. We have a BC Melee PR, I think I'll start a BC Brawl PR soon. Finally get something going in the province as a whole. :\

Talking Chiken, does the Island have a PR already?

PM me the scoop on the players that are top 5-8 or whatever there and we can try melding them together into something. All of this Brawl talk needs some results. So much complaining/discussing/encouraging and it should go at least somewhere noticable. :)

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Talking Chiken, does the Island have a PR already?
Brawl, I don't know. Victoria as far as I know it's
1. liverymen
2. everyone else, in some order

but that doesn't count the rest of the island. Port Alberni has some good brawlers, though, like Ewic and A6M Zero.

There's no official Melee PR, but I discussed it with Daze and Blue Yoshi last Saturday at the end of our biweekly for kicks and I think it went something like

1. Daltsy
2. Kuriko
3. Daze
4. Hillary
5. liverymen

and then after that it's Blue Yoshi, Tony (local Falcon player. He's pretty good, but needs to not let his emotions get in the way of his playing sometimes) and I in some order. Tony can be above or below both of us depending on the day. These are for active members only (people I see at least once every two weeks at our smash nights)

Though I don't know what Victoria's Melee scene will turn out to be. Tim's moving to the mainland after this term, Howard pulled a Hitsugaya and still plays Melee, but not on the same level of seriousness he used to, Daze is out at sea until at least July, Rob focuses on 64 (and it shows, he won 64 doubles at our last biweekly by teaming with a lv 9 CPU :p), and these days I play other fighters along with Melee and 64 and stopped caring about getting better at Melee.

Eggz

Smash Hero
brawl***s and melee***s alike, come down to gameclucks this weekend.
all of combo status will be in attendance.
and all of our best brawl players too whoever they are shrugbug

GET THE **** DOWN HERE AND TAKE MY MONEY

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
brawl***s and melee***s alike, come down to gameclucks this weekend.
all of combo status will be in attendance.
and all of our best brawl players too whoever they are shrugbug

GET THE **** DOWN HERE AND TAKE MY MONEY
Love to but im strap for money atm, i think i'll just go to our local smashfest :)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
**** your **** up in June instead eggz, you *****!

And in May if you come to TS3 or in July if you go to Genesis

or... ALL OF THE ABOVE
<3

Top Bottom