• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I am talking about the fin. Theres almost nothing people can do with all those instant sweet spot.
I have played a match vs a decent meta knight (probably as good as gimpy) on corneria to test things. I played as Pit/Fox/Wolf/Falco/Dedede and there was NOTHING I could do to stop that MK from upB'ing and falling with bair/dair into another upb. Couldnt shield grab couldnt upsmash out of shield couldn't come from the sides.

Norfair isnt annoying because of the edge but because some chars (Mario/Luigi people with decent 2nd jump) can abuse invincibility by jump from one ledge to another while doing an aerial attack.

Against pokemon stadium 1 is ghey... Couldnt upB the edge when I was RIGHT under it with Zamus.
That bit about Norfair and Corneria is actually interesting info I didn't know about. Although I'm not too sure how much that Norfair thing would affect gameplay. You should bring it up in that Stage Legality topic in case Backroom never looked at that aspect of the stages.

Stages don't get banned simply because they're annoying. They get banned if it gives particular characters an unreasonably unfair advantage or if it has hazards that interfere with the results of a match to a significant degree. Anything with walk off edges is banned because anybody that has an advancing chain throw can get free kills, as can Donkey Kong and Kirby by carrying people to the edge of the stage and throwing them out. You don't really need to do any testing to know that D.K.s cargo grab is overpowered when walk off edges are involved. Nor(un)fair has the ledge camping and tons of major course hazards, some of which are near impossible to predict and cover the majority of the stage, those hazards seriously skew the results of nearly any match played there. Distant Planet, walk of edges, D.K./D3 wins. Whatever warning the catapult has, it's too small to notice consistantly in a match, also the cannon balls can be pretty bad. Apparently water is a bad thing too and that stage has more water than any. Corneria has the wall, ledge camping, and a ridiculously close edge on the right, it also has minor hazards if the rest wasn't bad enough. I don't really know much about Poke Stad 1 aside from people tell me the ledges are really nasty trap ledges among other things.
Stages with walk-off edges:
Certain points of Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege transitions
Second stage of Castle Siege (there are plenty of platforms to avoid that)
Mario Circuit
Distant Planet
Onett
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Eldin Bridge
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
buncha broken stages we have no intention of playing

Since they're all counter-picks (with the exception of maybe Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza which are only walk-off for a small part of the map), wouldn't the correct strategy to be pick a character with projectiles? Donkey Kong and Kirby lack projectiles. DeDeDe is the only problem I see and his chain grab is not foolproof on many characters. On Distant Planet especially, you have the platforms in the middle to stand on while they have to camp the slope that will eventually get hit by rain and they will have to come to you - not the other way around. Shadow Moses Island has those annoying pillars which means Donkey Kong and Kirby can't do anything, but DeDeDe is the issue here. Onett, Green Hill Zone, and Yoshi's Island (Melee) have really short edges so I don't know how well they'd work. Eldin Bridge and Mario Circuit I think need testing for sure.

The catapault warning isn't too hard to notice at all unless you don't play the map much. That's no reason for a ban. I haven't been hit by that for a long time. Water is not bad. I'm not sure why anyone would say that.

Oh and Norfair has ONE hazard that's hard to predict. It's the lava spurt with the weird hitboxes that come from the background. Not the huge wave. Everything else can be seen coming from a mile away and is easily avoidable. The lava spurt is also pretty easy to avoid, I'm just saying it gives less warning than everything else.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
For those in the WiFi Wars + SmashBoards Launch Tournament, M3D posted the rules:

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/390

Singles - Rules
1v1 Battle
No Spectators (except referees, if necessary) allowed
Best 3 out of 5 matches (first to win three matches wins)
2 Stock
No time limit/sudden death
Items: OFF (includes Smash Balls)
Character Selection: Always double-blind

Stage Selection
In each battle, both players will select a preferred stage from the list of legal options. The game will then choose the stage based on those selections.

Legal Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet
Battleship Halberd
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld
Pictochat
Electroplankton
Shadow Moses Island
Castle Seige
Green Hill Zone
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Onett

Banned Stages
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Donkey Kong 75m
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Wario Ware
The Summit
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
Flat Zone 2
Temple
Big Blue
Jungle Japes

Stalling:
Excessive stalling is defined as using any glitch or tactic to make your character completely untouchable by an opponent for an excessive amount of time. Using such tactics will result in a match forfeit. Players must submit video evidence to demonstrate that this rule has been violated for the referee to rule in their favor. Also, please note that running away within the normal bounds play or camping ledges does not constitute stalling.

Lag:
No Johns. Lag is not an acceptable excuse for quitting out of a game. A player that quits out during gameplay without the permission of a referee will automatically forfeit that game. Video evidence must be submitted to a referee to prove that this rule has been broken for the forfeit to go into effect. Without video proof, players must complete the match.

Video:
All players are encouraged to record every single match and save those files until the opponent has properly reported the results. Video files can be used as proof in the event that an opponent cheats or lies.

Referees:
Referee contact information will be posted with each pool. Players should only contact referees in the case of a rule violation and they must present video evidence in this instance. Any disrespect or harassing of referees will not be tolerated and will result in disqualification. Referee rulings are final.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
If there's no time limit, what would you do if someone was stalling in a match that lasted over 3 minutes? (or whatever the limit is for saving replays) how would you get the video proof?

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
i agree with john if youve ever seen anyone abuse edges youd know how broken norfair is i just learn that a samus on the edge is like a invulnerable turret o_0

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
That was more of an information post for people who want to enter the tournament.

Also, I just tried that Corneria thing. That was funny. I hope someone figures something out soon! I like Corneria =(

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
This is blasphemy!

Seriously, why on earth is Pokemon stadium 2 on the neutral list? >_>
Haha read again. There is no neutral list because it's the online tournament. WiFi really makes it hard to do the whole counterpick thing we usually do. So it's double blind all the way, game chooses out of the two players' choices, best of 5.

Metà

Smash Master
Guys, I was thinking of having an Ike-only event at my tournament, as a small side-event, if time permits. Yea or nay?

EDIT: Also, castle siege only for this event

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Guys, I was thinking of having an Ike-only event at my tournament, as a small side-event, if time permits. Yea or nay?
You mean Meta Knight only right Meta? Right? Right? Wrong? Aw :( slash slash slash

We should do Pit only and use the Japanese version for nananananana.

But yes, I'd play this event :laugh:

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
You mean Meta Knight only right Meta? Right? Right? Wrong? Aw :( slash slash slash

We should do Pit only and use the Japanese version for nananananana.

But yes, I'd play this event :laugh:
Metaknight!? Ewww.....

Also, Japanese Pit = hilarious.

But still, I hate pit.

Edit: It censored the shortened version of Japanese for some reason 0.0

Supertramp

Smash Cadet
You put time into it to find out how deep the rabbit hole can go. However, it seems we're split into two camps:

1. The ones willing to do the digging
2. The ones who want to wait until the job is done and jump in

Manuel, you made up your mind on this like a few days after playing iirc. Because you caught up so fast to Adam/Tiep/John/etc? If you want to do #2, go ahead, just stop whining about the depth if you're not going to do the work.

No, we're going to Brawl not Melee :D We're going to move onto the same game the wider competitive community is playing. You can stay in a game that will fail to evolve further due to a smaller size and the fact that it's already hit the period of huge growth.

The second part of this quote was the last straw for me. Months of resentment are finally being discarded. It's Brawl time.

I will buy a Wii, I will buy Brawl. I will become very good in time. I do not agree with the first part of your quote, because it left out the category I fit into. The category who didn't want to have anything to do with the hole, because holes are dirty and they suck.

So many hours ahead of me. More than the 459:42 hours of melee logged onto my Melee memory card? Maybe, although I would hope it is not like learning the game from scratch all over again.

First matter of business though is to play all those people at Melee at my school who think they are the ****. Money matches to as high as they are willing to go. Gonna go out with a bang.

Very pleased to say I played Brawl again today. Landed 10+ Ken Combos on my friends who all own the game, and know what Ken Combos are. Won every single game, regardless of matchup or stage. Even a little KDJ drop-edgeguarding with Sheik on that really annoying Pit character.

When I am ready to play, ill post my information. Untill then, I suggest everyone get ready.

unityole

Smash Lord
just a head notice, there will be NO SFU#5, so evan's would be the 5th..

I canceled mine due to heavy work load, kinda behind on my studies. hopefully see everyone at evan's tri-smash tourney in April

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! I played Melee with some of you a while back, but school interfered. Now I'm hoping to play more with Brawl having come out.

I'm scrounging for those FC's of everyone; add me too guys!

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Brawl/Melee at my place on Saturday! Since Jack is unable to host im stepping it up and filling his spot!
I can have a limited amount of people so tell me fast! Location is my house I will PM people where it is when you confirm.
Melee tourney and Brawl no 64.
That is if we have people willing to come.

Zm4rf

Smash Cadet
For those in the WiFi Wars + SmashBoards Launch Tournament, M3D posted the rules:

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/390

Singles - Rules
1v1 Battle
No Spectators (except referees, if necessary) allowed
Best 3 out of 5 matches (first to win three matches wins)
2 Stock
No time limit/sudden death
Items: OFF (includes Smash Balls)
Character Selection: Always double-blind

Stage Selection
In each battle, both players will select a preferred stage from the list of legal options. The game will then choose the stage based on those selections.

Legal Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet
Battleship Halberd
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld
Pictochat
Electroplankton
Shadow Moses Island
Castle Seige
Green Hill Zone
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Onett

Banned Stages
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Donkey Kong 75m
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Wario Ware
The Summit
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
Flat Zone 2
Temple
Big Blue
Jungle Japes

Stalling:
Excessive stalling is defined as using any glitch or tactic to make your character completely untouchable by an opponent for an excessive amount of time. Using such tactics will result in a match forfeit. Players must submit video evidence to demonstrate that this rule has been violated for the referee to rule in their favor. Also, please note that running away within the normal bounds play or camping ledges does not constitute stalling.

Lag:
No Johns. Lag is not an acceptable excuse for quitting out of a game. A player that quits out during gameplay without the permission of a referee will automatically forfeit that game. Video evidence must be submitted to a referee to prove that this rule has been broken for the forfeit to go into effect. Without video proof, players must complete the match.

Video:
All players are encouraged to record every single match and save those files until the opponent has properly reported the results. Video files can be used as proof in the event that an opponent cheats or lies.

Referees:
Referee contact information will be posted with each pool. Players should only contact referees in the case of a rule violation and they must present video evidence in this instance. Any disrespect or harassing of referees will not be tolerated and will result in disqualification. Referee rulings are final.

That's great and all, but I can't sign up; I don't live in a state.

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
Us Vic boys are really eager to come out and Brawl with you mainlanders. When is the next decent sized tourny that's worth the cost of the ferry? We don't care where it is, we just want to smash with you guys. And if you're wondering what worth the cost of the ferry is.. That would be us coming over on the earliest boat, smashing all day and leaving on the last boat :p

spindash

Smash Ace
Us Vic boys are really eager to come out and Brawl with you mainlanders. When is the next decent sized tourny that's worth the cost of the ferry? We don't care where it is, we just want to smash with you guys. And if you're wondering what worth the cost of the ferry is.. That would be us coming over on the earliest boat, smashing all day and leaving on the last boat :p
*shamelessly whores for Carl*

CT4's in Alberta, but it's gonna be one heck of a tourney when it comes to size. Blunted_Object's makin' a little visit for the tourney. Dunno who else is gonna join the party. But yeah, just throwing that one out there. :p

Though if you're looking for a B.C. tourney, that ain't my specialty. I'm sure something big'll come up relatively soon.

Zm4rf

Smash Cadet
btw, a tad late, but here's my FC.

(my FC to the left is a fake)

1504-5478-5753

I r bad @ gaemz. Therefore I need more people to play with. And CPUs suck. So does SSE.

unityole

Smash Lord
Brawl/Melee at my place on Saturday! Since Jack is unable to host im stepping it up and filling his spot!
I can have a limited amount of people so tell me fast! Location is my house I will PM people where it is when you confirm.
Melee tourney and Brawl no 64.
That is if we have people willing to come.

i will try to catch up with all my studies and my lab work within the next 2 days.. hopefully i can still make sfu 5 come true :'(

i hate to cancel stuff on people since im the one brought it up, so i'll work hard for the next few days. means NO MORE CS or Starcraft :)

Top Bottom