• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Question went unanswered; Could someone please answer it?
You know what, I haven't heard anything about tournaments happening near there. If you have brawl, you could add my friend code and I would play with you =] .
"The complaints towards Brawl seem mostly to be about its depth, and it being easy. To put it simply, if it's that easy to master, invest a small amount of time and go win some money."

Nuff said *****s.
The only thing about that is that some of us don't play the game for money; we play the game for fun. So if (supposedly, not saying this is me) we're not having fun playing the game due to "its depth, and it being easy", why would we put the time into it? Especially since melee is an option, however faltering?

Patooty

Smash Ace
Melee is fun because of it's competitiveness - you wouldn't play the game against the AI over and over again, even given it's extremely technical nature, would you?

If I'm mistaken, then we see Melee differently. Go play Melee for fun.

"Why put time into it?" My argument is based on: it doesn't matter if you put a bit of time into it because that won't make you the best anyways. There's already enough depth in the game to stop most people from excelling.

Sounds like there's competition to me.

Metà

Smash Master
Some of us don't really want to be part of that competition though, because we don't enjoy the game as much. I mean, I'll compete, and I'm sure I'll have fun doing so, but it just won't feel the same. I don't think anyone here thinks Brawl is as deep as Melee, and I don't think any of us here have reached our full potential.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
im a yukon smasher... no one in the yukon plays so i'd be interested in playing wifi vs some bc people. if you are interested merely reply to this post and i'll add you.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
You only say this cause youve spent how much time playing it? new combos are being discovered like every minute and new techniques everyday.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
The only thing about that is that some of us don't play the game for money; we play the game for fun. So if (supposedly, not saying this is me) we're not having fun playing the game due to "its depth, and it being easy", why would we put the time into it? Especially since melee is an option, however faltering?
You put time into it to find out how deep the rabbit hole can go. However, it seems we're split into two camps:

1. The ones willing to do the digging
2. The ones who want to wait until the job is done and jump in

Manuel, you made up your mind on this like a few days after playing iirc. Because you caught up so fast to Adam/Tiep/John/etc? If you want to do #2, go ahead, just stop whining about the depth if you're not going to do the work.

No, we're going to Brawl not Melee :D We're going to move onto the same game the wider competitive community is playing. You can stay in a game that will fail to evolve further due to a smaller size and the fact that it's already hit the period of huge growth.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
If we have a tournament before the Back Room gives a list, what do you guys think about this?

My picks (Potential being that they should start at counter-pick and move as necessary):

Neutral (6):
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Potentally Neutral (3):
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd

Counter-Pick (13)
Norfair
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Great Sea
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Onett (Melee)
Brinstar (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Potential Counter-Pick (7)
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Haenbow
Pokmon Stadium 2
Eldin Bridge
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Banned (14)
Rumble Falls
WarioWare
Skyworld
New Pork City
Summit
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2
Port Town Aero Dive
Mario Bros.
Spear Pillar
Flat Zone 2
75m
Big Blue (Melee)
Hyrule Temple (Melee)

It's something I wrote up for that Legality Discussion in Stage Discussion.

Patooty

Smash Ace
I'll take that bet too, with more concrete parameters. That I will be able to beat any given random just as badly in Brawl as I am able to in Melee. (counted in terms of stocks lost)

piegopher

Smash Rookie
If we have a tournament before the Back Room gives a list, what do you guys think about this?

My picks (Potential being that they should start at counter-pick and move as necessary):

It's something I wrote up for that Legality Discussion in Stage Discussion.
omg you guise I made the perfect stage for tournaments! You have to play it on stamina mode tho because it's got 4 walls made mostly out of spikes, but it's shaped EXACTLY like Dr. Robotnik's head! :O :O

Butt seriously, I never officially made it into a tournament, so I've never understood this whole counter-pick notion. How does that work?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Sets are best of three.
First match: Characters picked at same time, stage randomly selected from neutral stage list
Second match: Loser of Match 1 picks non-banned stage, Winner of Match 1 picks character, Winner of Match 1 picks character
Third match (if required): Loser of Match 2 picks non-banned stage, Winner of Match 2 picks character, Winner of Match 2 picks character

Counter-pick stages are stages that are not neutral but not banned. Examples include Poke Floats and Mute City in Melee.

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
Done. I bet it will. Even in the unlikely event no new techniques are discovered it will. $10? :)
yeah i'd like to bet that too, seriously. Not everyone will dislike brawl and go back to melee just because of falcon's knee :dizzy:

man reading some of the comments here on brawl lacking and people wanting to fix their GC controllers like melee just makes me think that we're the last to actually put the melee 2.0 issue down

Metà

Smash Master
Guys, I'm not going to bet on that. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised with the change, but I just don't see it happening. If you want to disagree with me and take a more optimistic stance, I won't argue with you--you're entitled to your own opinion, as I'm entitled to mine.

Btw, here's the stage list for my tournament, and I'm 99% certain this is how it will stay (at least for my event)

Neutral (random):
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter-picks
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pictochat
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Hanenbow
Green Greens (Melee)*
Corneria (Melee)*
Brinstar (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Banned Stages
Rumble Falls
WarioWare
Skyworld
Bridge of Eldin
New Pork City
Summit
Norfair
Distant Planet
Mario Circuit
Pokemon Stadium 2
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2
Port Town Aero Dive
Mario Bros.
Great Sea
Spear Pillar
Flat Zone 2
75m
Green Greens*
Corneria*
Onett
Jungle Japes
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Big Blue (Melee)
Hyrule Temple (Melee)

* means banned only in singles

Total allowed: 17 (including doubles stages)
Neutral: 6
Counter-picks: 11 (including doubles stages)
Banned: 25 (not including doubles stages)

I have put a lot of thought into this, and have played extensively on each 'iffy' stage (the uncertain ones). I'm open to suggestions, but I don't think it's going to change much, if at all. I might need to ban a stage or two in doubles due to lag (like FoD in SSBM), but I don't think I'll need to. If anyone would like an explanation for why a given stage is banned, I'll provide my reasoning, and you're free to challenge it.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
I'd like to be pleasantly surprised with the change, but I just don't see it happening.
Of course you don't see it happening, if you saw it coming that would mean you already know about it and then it would be presently known and wouldn't matter. Saying that you don't see an unknown discovery coming in the future is completely redundant.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
i dont think lylat cruise is very fair imo the tilting messes stuff p to much i think delfino plaza is better then it for nuetral stages

Metà

Smash Master
Delfino will never be a neutral stage if I have any say in it, and at my tournament, I will. And the tilting, yeah, I thought about that, but it tilts slowly enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
That is a LOT of banned stages for so early in Brawl's life o_o What's some of the reasoning? I mean, you even have Norfair in there which is going to be most likely unbanned as an SBR standard. And what's wrong with Corneria, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, and Distant Planet?

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
That is a LOT of banned stages for so early in Brawl's life o_o What's some of the reasoning? I mean, you even have Norfair in there which is going to be most likely unbanned as an SBR standard. And what's wrong with Corneria, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship, and Distant Planet?
Walk off ledges and major hazards as well as walls. Personally I don't mind pirate ship much but the catapult can kill some people.

Edit: New angle, replace Lylat with Halberd. Easily predictable movements and the only hazard is pretty much impossible to not avoid.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Walk off ledges and major hazards as well as walls. Personally I don't mind pirate ship much but the catapult can kill some people.
Pirate Ship's catapault comes out and gives more than 1 second for the person to get out of the way after the visual cue. Distant Planet has a huge thing that you can definitely see and avoid the entire match. Mario Circuit's cars are hardly major and come in a set pattern and the location of the cars is always viewable in the background. Corneria is the only stage of those with a wall and it was counter-pick in Melee iirc when we had Fox's drillshine combo. Why are walls banned now anyway? Fox's shine infinite can be DIed out of as can Pikachu's neutral a infinite.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
well one... dededes infinite grab needs to be banned if we even think of alowing corneria. distant planet is just a bad level that **** frog can eat you or carry you away and all around just is to anoying to play on. mario circuit those cars are yes easily avoidable but... they do insane dmg and huge knockback compared to most things and walk off edges means dedede can yet again win if he grabs you .... and that chain throw isnt very hard to do... i dont know about the ship but the log grav on the falling of the ship is pretty bad and the water makes it impossible to spike or die enless you get knock out of the side or top.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
well one... dededes infinite grab needs to be banned if we even think of alowing corneria. distant planet is just a bad level that **** frog can eat you or carry you away and all around just is to anoying to play on. mario circuit those cars are yes easily avoidable but... they do insane dmg and huge knockback compared to most things and walk off edges means dedede can yet again win if he grabs you .... and that chain throw isnt very hard to do... i dont know about the ship but the log grav on the falling of the ship is pretty bad and the water makes it impossible to spike or die enless you get knock out of the side or top.
Inifinite grab does NOT need to be banned. I disagree with banning this sort of stuff so early. Or we're gonna have one of those situations like in whatever game it was with roll cancelling where US banned it early and called it broken, then Japanese came in and ***** them.

Distant Planet is decent. If you get caught by the Bulblax... well, what were you doing going into its mouth o.o; I didn't even know what it did until I jumped on it myself to see >_>

Mario Kart has insane damage and huge knockback? I think you're confusing it with Port Town. DeDeDe cannot chain throw some characters, most can avoid it by sidestepping it iirc.

What's wrong with a little logical gravity change for part of a match? Not like you don't know it's coming. The entire background turns dark. And what's wrong with there being water? We're talking about counter-pick here, not neutral.

I really would recommend looking at the Stage Legality Discussion topic at the least even though a lot of posts are horrible. I would really like it if we didn't deviate too much from the standard that the continent will be using.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Norfair
Mario Circuit
Corneria
Pokemon Stadium 1!
Should be all banned.

Norfair is SUPER ghey with all those grab-able edges. Theres so much things you can abuse its not even funny.

Mario Circuit is also a bad level because the walk off edges. You will probably see everyone fighting on the bottom right or left corner. I dont even know why people are arguing about this stage.

Pokemon Stadium 1 should be banned cause its possible the WORST stage there is. That edge is really stupid even worse then Melee's battle field. I have played ganon on that stage went well over the edge and fall right past it without the "auto sweetspot" I was almost hugging that edge and still missed it somehow.

Corneria also banned because of that sweet spot edge. Have you seen a Meta UpB camp that ledge? Its ********. He isnt the only one that can camp.

Im even starting to think Rainbow Cruise should be banned because of all the new obstacles. You are now no longer able to jump through those falling blocks.(The yellow things) I had played a few matches there and I was gheyed because I was on one and it fell... as I was doing my get up animation and tried to jump up another block appeared and started blinking as it was spawning and I couldnt get through. There was NO way of surviving.

Shermanator

Smash Rookie
Hey there, here is some info for the B.C. smashers compilation.

Smashboards: Shermanator
Brawl name: SHRMN
Melee Chars: Falco/Roy..
Brawl Chars: Dedede
Brawl FC: 3694-9736-3743

Smashboards: talking_chicken
Brawl name: talkc
Melee Chars: Doc
Brawl Chars: Link
Brawl FC: 3136-6272-6099

Smashboards: None
Brawl name: POE
Melee chars: Marth
Brawl Chars: Snake
Brawl FC: 1203-8882-3248

Smashboards: Blue_Yoshi
Brawl name: Rob
Melee chars: Yoshi/Various
Brawl chars: Various
Brawl FC: 1633-3975-0240

Smashboards: None
Brawl name: Serge
Melee chars: Marth
Brawl chars: Sonic
Brawl FC: 2234-6816-8497

Smashboards: Japman
Brawl name: J ap (smashboards beeps this out without the space. apparently.)
Melee chars: Peach/Various
Brawl chars: Lucas
Brawl FC: 0044-2500-0906

Probably more Victoria smashers to come at a later time.

Anyways.. I added the brawl fc's for all these people. Add me back if you'd like! :)

Marthownsxd
Gamepro
JDZL
Sm_Sheba
$pite
supsup
fireemblemxpryde
Camerican
Firestorm88
Hitsugaya
Dieslow
Z-row
Piegopher
Blunted_Object10
LysanderBlack
Noypi_gjd
Rampage
JProph
Rusty
Meta

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
John, the thing is we shouldn't ban just because it's annoying =/ We should ban if it's broken and randomly affects results of the match. Although that Mario Circuit thing is something I think should be tested first. I do understand the issue with walk off edges. Not sure what you mean on Corneria. Is it the fin? So like up+bing into it sort of like some characters camped it in Melee? Dunno how well that'd work and whether or not you could use the new air dodge to get down.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
I am talking about the fin. Theres almost nothing people can do with all those instant sweet spot.
I have played a match vs a decent meta knight (probably as good as gimpy) on corneria to test things. I played as Pit/Fox/Wolf/Falco/Dedede and there was NOTHING I could do to stop that MK from upB'ing and falling with bair/dair into another upb. Couldnt shield grab couldnt upsmash out of shield couldn't come from the sides.

Norfair isnt annoying because of the edge but because some chars (Mario/Luigi people with decent 2nd jump) can abuse invincibility by jump from one ledge to another while doing an aerial attack.

Against pokemon stadium 1 is ghey... Couldnt upB the edge when I was RIGHT under it with Zamus.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
I'll play the game, just it sometimes feels like I'm playing it just to play it, not because I'm necessarily having fun. Perhaps I just need someone to teach me how to play the game properly.

Brawl optimists don't like melee'ers talking about their game =S .

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
John, the thing is we shouldn't ban just because it's annoying =/ We should ban if it's broken and randomly affects results of the match. Although that Mario Circuit thing is something I think should be tested first. I do understand the issue with walk off edges. Not sure what you mean on Corneria. Is it the fin? So like up+bing into it sort of like some characters camped it in Melee? Dunno how well that'd work and whether or not you could use the new air dodge to get down.
Stages don't get banned simply because they're annoying. They get banned if it gives particular characters an unreasonably unfair advantage or if it has hazards that interfere with the results of a match to a significant degree. Anything with walk off edges is banned because anybody that has an advancing chain throw can get free kills, as can Donkey Kong and Kirby by carrying people to the edge of the stage and throwing them out. You don't really need to do any testing to know that D.K.s cargo grab is overpowered when walk off edges are involved. Nor(un)fair has the ledge camping and tons of major course hazards, some of which are near impossible to predict and cover the majority of the stage, those hazards seriously skew the results of nearly any match played there. Distant Planet, walk of edges, D.K./D3 wins. Whatever warning the catapult has, it's too small to notice consistantly in a match, also the cannon balls can be pretty bad. Apparently water is a bad thing too and that stage has more water than any. Corneria has the wall, ledge camping, and a ridiculously close edge on the right, it also has minor hazards if the rest wasn't bad enough. I don't really know much about Poke Stad 1 aside from people tell me the ledges are really nasty trap ledges among other things.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
i admit pokemon 1 edges havent gotten pretty back not only do they battlefield you sometimes but there is a tiny hole you can up b into and get stuck in.... and that kills me adleast 1ce per play on it... and the windmill being solid can be quite troublesome but ya its more the edges that bother me on that level

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
ya marth kinda owns ike from what ive heard but ya how the hell does your counter last the long i kept attacking it thinking it was over then bam youd counter anyways o_0 and my connection has sucked monkey nuts today : / and my diddy woulda put the smack down on your marth lol ; /

FalseFalco

Smash Master
EVERYONE

There hasn't been a massive tournament for Brawl yet. Once all the pros sit down to compete, I think many people will have different opinions about how good competition with this game will be.

Possibility A: The pro's bring new things to the table and silence naysayers

Possibility B: PC trips into M2K's tipper game 7 last stock for $1000

Top Bottom