• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Radius-86

Smash Ace
Mmm I played a best of 5 with Azen. The lag prevents me from attacking and recovering properly, but Azen seems to adjust to it and plays well nonetheless. Makes you wonder what it's like to play him in a non lag condition.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Radius-86: I remember your epic thread on DI. Good stuff.

Alright guys, its looking good but we need to fill in some information! :chuckle:
-Can we confirm if anyone is perma-inactive/should be deleted?
-Vancouver is jumbo, is Nick Vancouver or Burnaby? Fox Machine still in Van or in Calgary?
-JAPMAN moved to Calgary?
I'm still Vancouver. Yes JAPMAN moved to Calgary.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
man listing to omnigamer reminds me of raiding in wow hes soooo boring sounding o-0 he should jazz it up and like use some energy into his voice or add the word BAM after he does something too spice it up ;p

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
Of course once person's experience doesn't equal all circumstance. I don't recall saying that.
Well see, I was just suggesting that your counter-point is invalid, seeing as it is inapplicable in all circumstances.
That's you talking about how you, and you alone, used to play ssb64 in grade 4, and how that fact makes my point supposedly inapplicable in "all circumstances". Now do you recall?

But I do know that one counter-example is enough to strike a theory down. I believe that's Grade 9 Math curriculum?
'Cause we all know grade 9 math is all about theoretical debate, amirite? Oh wait, that's you saying another one of those things that doesn't make sense while simultaneously adding a long and completely reduntant word like "curriculum" which adds nothing to what you're saying besides extra letters. In fact, since you're talking specifically about the Math 9 curriculum as opposed to just grade 9 math, you should have "the" or, more specifically, "in the" or "part of the" in front of the word "Grade", so the sentence actually makes more sense without the word curriculum in it.

It seems to me that Roby shared his observations and overall feeling about the game, and you attacked his point of view pretty aggressively. How, then, can you take it personally when someone else does the same to you =P ?
I asked him a short and simple question, I did not aggressively attack oh great hyperbolesaurus. And what does any of this have to do with personal attacks. Ooops, almost forgot about the whole "You never make any sense" thing.

dieslow

Smash Ace
I like you Rusty. manuel always uses big words on these boards and makes everything so formal. somebody has to stop that passive-aggressive mother ****er lol

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
you 2 should just go on msn and duke it out with your big words and logic ps this is the internet rusty we no needs spelling police k thx cant a ford my fees if they did extist yak nows?

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Was Rusty Shackleford taken, or was the misspelling done purposely/some inside reference I'm not getting?

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
I misspelled it several years ago and so I just continued to spell it the same just for the heck of it.
you 2 should just go on msn and duke it out with your big words and logic ps this is the internet rusty we no needs spelling police k thx cant a ford my fees if they did extist yak nows?
Rusty is a proper noun and the initial letter should therefore be capitalized.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
i SHAL MISPEL AND DO THE OPPOISITE OF WHAT i SHOULD NORMALY DO FOR YOU RUSTY K THX NO PERSIOD

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
i SHAL MISPEL AND DO THE OPPOISITE OF WHAT i SHOULD NORMALY DO FOR YOU RUSTY K THX NO PERSIOD
If you're going to do the opposite of what YOU should normally do, then wouldn't it make more sense for you to suddenly start making everything you type grammatically immaculate and teaming with limitless perspicacity? See, it works as both explanation and example!

SING IT WITH ME, NOW!
... I BEFORE E... 'CEPT AFTUH C! COME ON! I BEFORE E... 'CEPT AFTUH C!

Radius-86

Smash Ace
The removal of l-cancelling made Brawl pretty strange as now you get punished for missing an aerial upon landing due to the slow recovery. I actually like this change a lot however. Previously in Melee the game was entirely comprised of aerials because they never put you at risk. I dislike the change to recoveries though, in how the game cuts off your Up B and makes you grab the edge automatically now. It makes recovery too easy for everyone.

Still glad dash and smash are still in. Just that you have to cancel a dash with a shield instead of crouching now. Some of my melee habits are proving detrimental in improving Brawl ability, so that's something that needs to change.

As for wifi, John told me that you get used to the lag, which I find somewhat true. I used to have problems teching during wifi, but it's starting to get better. If you're playing with a local smasher and still lag though, one of you needs a better connection. I played with a friend (we both live in Burnaby) and it was pretty much flawless, to say the least.

On a side note, Toon Link's fsmash is bull**** strong.

Sm_Sheba

Smash Cadet
Good insight Radius.

For that lag comment.. I'm trying to find out if I am the one that lags. I know that when I play online with my computer (wired connection, it is usually pretty good). My girlfriend's laptop lag's on occasion (wireless), but it is about 40 feet from the router.

The xbox 360 sometimes, but rarely lags, when i'm playing COD4. I have just suspected that it was other peoples fault though.

Every game I have played on wii has lagged to a degree, and I have attributed it to the server. It is about 10 feet away from the router, but the signal has to travel around a wall, couch and under a desk. Do you think I should buy one of those wired connection adapters?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I never actually met Darius. I remember talk of him when I joined though =)

For those having lag issues:
- change router channel to 1 or 11 if it's on 6 (default) right now
- set your Wii to DMZ
- manually set the DNS on your Wii to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41995110)

All have people saying it helps. The DNS thing is more if you can't inititally connect to people I think

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Anyone remember that internet service that launched Beta like a year ago.. it gives direct connection to other clients without going through all the ****ty processes from regular ISP's?

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Mmm I played a best of 5 with Azen. The lag prevents me from attacking and recovering properly, but Azen seems to adjust to it and plays well nonetheless. Makes you wonder what it's like to play him in a non lag condition.
He's Azen...

DAAAARRRRIIIIUUUUSSSS!!!!

That's you talking about how you, and you alone, used to play ssb64 in grade 4, and how that fact makes my point supposedly inapplicable in "all circumstances". Now do you recall?

'Cause we all know grade 9 math is all about theoretical debate, amirite? Oh wait, that's you saying another one of those things that doesn't make sense while simultaneously adding a long and completely reduntant word like "curriculum" which adds nothing to what you're saying besides extra letters. In fact, since you're talking specifically about the Math 9 curriculum as opposed to just grade 9 math, you should have "the" or, more specifically, "in the" or "part of the" in front of the word "Grade", so the sentence actually makes more sense without the word curriculum in it.

I asked him a short and simple question, I did not aggressively attack oh great hyperbolesaurus. And what does any of this have to do with personal attacks. Ooops, almost forgot about the whole "You never make any sense" thing.
Lol, Nathan you certainly post ALOT differently then you ACT at smash tournaments >.>

Was Rusty Shackleford taken, or was the misspelling done purposely/some inside reference I'm not getting?
OMG WTF Scott!?

What's with all these people posting on the BC thread that I haven't seen post since ever? Oh wait, that new game came out. The one where the thousands of hours you put into getting good at it's previous version are completely thrown out the ****ing window.

For reals though, I think Brawl's a pretty cool game overall. I did notice however, after my most noticeable improvement in brawl, I went back to playing melee and I didn't like what I experienced. My technical skill was COMPLETELY shot, I mean I couldn't even L-cancel my airiels consistently AT ALL. The melee falcon I put SO MUCH time into about a month ago is about as scrubby as Manuels Fox ;), and I have to play for HOURS before I can even be capable of consistently beating people that I KNOW are worse than me in the game.

I LOVE how much more Brawl relies on spacing and shield tactics. It's a nice reward for a Ganon main in melee who pretty much relied on spacing his attacks to win matches. However, I'm still learning how to use shield properly and what moves to do out of it. The edge game is pretty dumb in my opinion. Brawl basically removed one of the COOLEST features of melee by giving EVERYONE the ability to auto-sweetspot the edge even when they're 100 feet away or turned around. Although not being able to follow along the contours of the side of a stage to grab the edge allows for more sensible edge guarding in this case, I just can't say they've allowed for a good edge game.

No L-cancelling makes combos ALOT harder to pull off, but since the game has been slowed down and characters are more floaty this allows for combos still... not as EXCITING combos as melee though. Grabs are fairly usable because of less shield pressure. I find the only uses to be positioning and shield grabbing. Unlike melee, shield pressure doesn't work as much in this game which threw me off quite a bit and I'm sure most melee'rs still make the mistake of running in and ferociously attacking, only to get hit or grabbed by the opponent out of his shield.

In the end, the diehard melee'rs (Manuel, Roby, Robbie, Keith, myself, etc.) are going to have to make a choice. It's just too hard to stay good at melee AND get good at brawl at the same time. The games are too different. I'm currently struggling to stay good at both. Heck, I'd like to stay decent at all 3 as long as I can. I just don't think I can ever play melee at the same level if I intend to progress in brawl. Approaching, edgeguarding, physics, and many other aspects of the game are just too different from melee and will literally ZAP the technical right out of you. I say, pick one or the other, and get good at it. Brawl is the new smash game. Most people will be playing it over melee from now on.

I suggest we all accept it and give our fingers a ****ing rest. xD

-Noobking

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I kind of agree with Adam. I think to many people have invested time into meele to just go play a new game. People still play old games when new ones come out. (1.6,ro1,SFII..etc)

Brawl is good for the moment for some reason'$ :>

Rampage

vx
nice adam

I'd have to agree, I couldn't do anything at all when I was playing melee after a few days of brawl. but I don't want to be left behind since most people are all over brawl as if it gives you free blowjobs and pudding. I wish it didn't have to come to this =[ and I was just starting to get the hang of melee too. ahh man =/

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
Lol, Nathan you certainly post ALOT differently then you ACT at smash tournaments >.>
When I type things it gives me extra time to look back and think "well that sounds stupid!". Then I hammer the backspace and just say something else.

And I totally agree with all that other stuff you said. Except I find I can still L-cancel, but that's probably because I still try to do it by accident in Brawl.

Metà

Smash Master
You guys choose to quit one or the other, but I've already made my choice. I will dedicate myself to all three games. I really haven't run into many difficulties switching between them, and today I was switching around constantly. It went 64 --> Brawl --> Melee --> Brawl --> 64 --> Melee --> Brawl --> 64, and I was just fine. Melee took the most adjusting, but it only took me about two games to get my tech skill back up (close) to where it was before. I see no reason to quit any of these games, cause they're the best 3 games ever made. Period.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I kind of agree with Adam. I think to many people have invested time into meele to just go play a new game. People still play old games when new ones come out. (1.6,ro1,SFII..etc)

Brawl is good for the moment for some reason'$ :>
If you want my honest opinion, I think people should start up in Brawl and not wait 3 years and play catch up. It's fun to be part of a game that's in the beginning stages of growth and trying new things out as you find out about them. Although I do hate that I don't seem to be able to find applications to some things by myself. I mean, you look at someone like Azen play and you see all these moves and techniques being used in ways you wouldn't have even though of =/ Then I look at me and it's like "lol smashboards says this is a cool way to use this" :(

Edit: I'm not saying quit Melee. Melee will be a fun side event for a while I think. But play Brawl. Unless you don't have a Wii.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
I think you're going off the handle a bit here.
To be fair, if in one situation/circumstance a point is not valid... then it is synonymous to "not applicable in all circumstance". I didn't say your point was invalid in any circumstance =P .
You're crazy! Not only are you nitpicking the lesser part of my argument, but you seem to be getting upset over it. If I had said "that's grade 9 math" the logical interpretation would be that what I had just said was ... grade 9 math. By saying curriculum I specified that it's one of the elements that we hopefully learned in Math 9. Saying "math 9" by itself (to me, at least) would refer to math as whole, which generally deals with simple trig and algebra in that year. I daresay that the message would be equally conveyed whether I had bothered to add "part of the" in front of "grade 9 math curriculum". >.>
l

And now you try to pass of your question as a simple inquiry into his gaming life? Of course it was a rhetorical question meant to trip him up. I don't think anyone doubts that.

I didn't say anything about personal attacks, I'm saying you appear to have taken it quite personally when I disagreed with you and backed up Roby. Thus the long posts about how it's none of my business and how I never make sense, the sarcasm, and the potentially permanent emotional damage caused due to the use of the word "hyperbolesaurus". Regarding that, I think you should revisit my post, where I said that "you attacked his point of view pretty aggressively".

I mean, you quoted him and asked a rhetorical question >.> . You're a tough person to talk to; I'm scared to say something that might offend you, and at the same time it's hard to be objective because you also like to scrutinize less important parts of what I'm saying (and thus arouse some frustration =/ )

Noypi, that new smasher reference looks amazing =D.

Supertramp

Smash Cadet
The Great Debate

He's Azen...

...that new game came out. The one where the thousands of hours you put into getting good at it's previous version are completely thrown out the ****ing window.

For reals though, I think Brawl's a pretty cool game overall. I did notice however, after my most noticeable improvement in brawl, I went back to playing melee and I didn't like what I experienced. My technical skill was COMPLETELY shot, I mean I couldn't even L-cancel my airiels consistently AT ALL. The melee falcon I put SO MUCH time into about a month ago is about as scrubby as Manuels Fox ;), and I have to play for HOURS before I can even be capable of consistently beating people that I KNOW are worse than me in the game.

I LOVE how much more Brawl relies on spacing and shield tactics. It's a nice reward for a Ganon main in melee who pretty much relied on spacing his attacks to win matches. However, I'm still learning how to use shield properly and what moves to do out of it. The edge game is pretty dumb in my opinion. Brawl basically removed one of the COOLEST features of melee by giving EVERYONE the ability to auto-sweetspot the edge even when they're 100 feet away or turned around. Although not being able to follow along the contours of the side of a stage to grab the edge allows for more sensible edge guarding in this case, I just can't say they've allowed for a good edge game.

No L-cancelling makes combos ALOT harder to pull off, but since the game has been slowed down and characters are more floaty this allows for combos still... not as EXCITING combos as melee though. Grabs are fairly usable because of less shield pressure. I find the only uses to be positioning and shield grabbing. Unlike melee, shield pressure doesn't work as much in this game which threw me off quite a bit and I'm sure most melee'rs still make the mistake of running in and ferociously attacking, only to get hit or grabbed by the opponent out of his shield.

In the end, the diehard melee'rs (Manuel, Roby, Robbie, Keith, myself, etc.) are going to have to make a choice. It's just too hard to stay good at melee AND get good at brawl at the same time. The games are too different. I'm currently struggling to stay good at both. Heck, I'd like to stay decent at all 3 as long as I can. I just don't think I can ever play melee at the same level if I intend to progress in brawl. Approaching, edgeguarding, physics, and many other aspects of the game are just too different from melee and will literally ZAP the technical right out of you. I say, pick one or the other, and get good at it. Brawl is the new smash game. Most people will be playing it over melee from now on.

I suggest we all accept it and give our fingers a ****ing rest. xD

-Noobking
Supertramp here.

All of this is simply in my opinion. I assume I am incorrect on several things, but I will continue as if assuming all of my opinions have a reasonable basis so I don't need to spend my night researching.

My god, how true. I'm that guy named Marshall who posted here a few weeks ago regarding Melee and playing against more players using Advanced Techiniques. I played brawl for the first time EVER today for a few hours. I dont think I have ever been so dissappointed in my life. The game has turned into a ****ing family night regular. Stupidly elaborate animations allowing for redicuously long lag times on EVERYTHING. The need for subtlety in button sensitivty, tactics and recoveries seems to have been replaced with players who are as dense as melee Jiggs, either tumbling across stages staying airborne. What the hell is happening?

I want to believe, I really do, that this will change. That perhaps the game is still developing a metagame and this seemingly slow piece of **** , in which the developers found it neccesary to remove all advanced techniques from, has simply yet to become more like its older brother.

Which brings me to why I am writing this. As Noobking stated, "It's just too hard to stay good at melee AND get good at brawl at the same time." I am torn. I have spent countless hours in the last month alone working on improving my Melee game. Genuinely improving, revamping. Some of those aerials with Z. Distinguish when to Jump-Cancel Grab, and when to Boost Grab. Now its all gone to hell.

So the question arisis: Brawl or Melee?

I want to play in some good Melee tournaments. I want to be truly good. But perhaps the time for this has passed. Brawl has WiFi. What a dreadful conflict.

On a final, lighter note, if I do choose Brawl, does anyone know of anyone who could program the sensitivity on a GC controller as to emulate that of Melee? If I could have this done before I begin Brawl it would be very handy. The adjustments would make it much easier to go back to Melee (with a normal GC controller). Less techinical differences between the two right there.

I would appreciate everyone thoughts on these issues.

Patooty

Smash Ace
On a final, lighter note, if I do choose Brawl, does anyone know of anyone who could program the sensitivity on a GC controller as to emulate that of Melee?

I'm leaning towards no, but to be honest, I don't exactly know what you're asking :laugh:

The complaints towards Brawl seem mostly to be about its depth, and it being easy. To put it simply, if it's that easy to master, invest a small amount of time and go win some money.

EDIT: ok, to clarify why I'm leaning towards no on your question:
You don't program the controller to be sensitive to the game, you program the game to be sensitive to the controller. The game reads controller input, and by moving the joystick this much |--| the game programmer can tell the game to move the character this much |-----|

On a side note though, what is possible to do is to mod a controller so that by physically moving your joystick this much |--| it sends a signal that says it moved this much |---|

Now depending on what the programmers did, this may or may not matter when you move your joystick all the way in one direction. If it doesn't matter, then you've effectively lost your ability to move the joystick the smallest amount.

EDIT again:
I was just thinking of the running system. This will most probably be a detriment to your play.

dieslow

Smash Ace
"The complaints towards Brawl seem mostly to be about its depth, and it being easy. To put it simply, if it's that easy to master, invest a small amount of time and go win some money."

Nuff said *****s.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
On a final, lighter note, if I do choose Brawl, does anyone know of anyone who could program the sensitivity on a GC controller as to emulate that of Melee? If I could have this done before I begin Brawl it would be very handy. The adjustments would make it much easier to go back to Melee (with a normal GC controller). Less techinical differences between the two right there.
Eh? I don't know about the controller, but you can simulate melee in brawl by just going to High Gravity Mode, I played it... it was strange but everyone felt like they were melee-weight.

Top Bottom