• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Arrr, I hate to do this but I don't think people will see my editing post.

Troy, Duong and Peter are ?? As of right now. Next - entrance fee. 5 bucks or less I say, there isn't gong to be a huge turn out with this being planned in a few days guys. I even say if there is less than 10, make it free, otherwise it might just be a waste because winnings are almost nothing (3rd place might not even get his money back, which is usually how it works). Who's doing all the tournament set up? RR? Random brackets? Teams? We have 6 hours and 2 tv's is it? That might not be enough for singles. If this does get planned well though, I say 5 buck for teams and singles (bi-weeklies are pretty much like that too, just small events of smash for little cash but more experience and fun).

Singles : RR takes a huge amount of time. Random brackets could screw people over by facing friends and family members. Could do the 2 pools though, make it fast though.

Teams : Never seen once before. Would be same format as singles would it not?

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
You must ALL be there on Friday. I want to have a best of 3 set with everyone who shows up tommorrow. My goal is to leave this place with something to be remembered by. Tommorrow, I intend to beat all of you in a best of 3 one after the other. We'll see if I can leave with the title of Best in BC. :grin:

IF I manage to come first in our tournament and beat everyone one after the other in a set of 3 I think it's about worthy of Best in BC title...

This is basically me doing what Mike told me to do, he told me to step it up so we have something in common and are both #1 in the province. This is why ALL of you must show up tommorrow, including Victa, Tiep, Wilfred, and Weeg, because it is you guys that I have a questionable vs record against.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
so 2 people from WA are going.. does Rat=Nick or nicks friend?
Wow good turn out for just a couple of days :)

Nick i never knew your last name was Louie.. kool :)

hopefully everyone will come.. we will bring a GC with game and Memory card. Maybe a T.V.

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
Well, I might make it a 5 Dollar tourney XD.

Say, 4 DOLLARS FOR SINGLES, AND 4 DOLLARS FOR DOUBLES

and Sure, Adam, may the best man win ^-^

also, I'm pretty sure that Pete will be coming, he told me.

I'm gonna supply you guys with 3 TVs, and 1 gamecube. Make sure 2 people bring their Gamecube, Memory Card, and SSBM disc. No duhhh

Radius-86

Smash Ace
Ok, I definitely cannot make it on Friday because of work. My parents won't take "I need to smash" as an excuse, and you all may boil me in a pot for saying this, but I do not really feel like going either (pre-occupied with other things). It is somewhat disappointing :(, but I'm sure I'm not needed for Adam's escapade of claiming best in B.C. title ;). I feel most all of you are getting better than me :/. I've been slacking and not bothering to practice. Nowadays I don't really have time, nor that much incentive to play/practice smash. To tell the truth, in general I have been playing video games less as a whole - I used to collect all 1st party games and selective 3rd party games for the GC, and some games here and there for the PS2, and I had a perfectionist attitude towards all my games (that means I play for tons of hours), but I have stopped purchasing simply because the most recent games I have bought just sit and rot at home. Xenosaga II (which I believe is the lastest console game I bought) I picked up on the first day (February sometime), and... it is still shrinkwrapped. There is just no time to play anymore. With the two or three hours I have each day, I feel I can't really make much progress in a game (especially those ****ed RPGs), and I'd rather do something else instead. And, although to a lesser extent, a girlfriend also depreciates gameplay time, and I've been affected by this phenomenon for 15 months :p

Smash is still great fun to play, and I will continue to play with all of you when I can, but I doubt I will be able to improve together with you guys anymore. You can't plan your work around your games; work always comes first.

Adam, I won't see you for who knows how long, so I wish you a safe trip! The rest of you, go kick Adam's *** :p, and just have fun!

Patooty

Smash Ace
Dang, Darius. I needed to face you!

How about we break up into (random) groups of 3 or 4 and then RR to seed into Double Elimination brackets. That way we end up with more accurate results, and the RR should be quick with only 3 or 4 people per group.

Also, Nick, can you do a GC count and who's bringing it so far? I need to see if we need another one and I don't feel like going through the other posts >.>
Oh yeah.. SOME people should go through the front door right? I mean.. it'd be kinda suspicious if nobody came and then the basement got all loud and stuff..

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
So is anyone gonna tape some matches during the tourney?

Too bad Darius i wanted to play u again :(

I agree with Tieps idea for The RR :)

I dont think Jeremy is able to come either... :urg:

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
If it is 8 bucks for the tournament alltogether, I would think it's a bit of a rip off with like 5 people going. I might just show up to play Adam and friendlies then. Peter didn't even message me back when I asked him, so I don't know what is going on there. Duong said he might have some job interviews, so he might not be able to make it as well. I am going to have a huge test tomorrow, so I will be studying and see if I have the energy tomorrow.

Random rant : Arrrr, Physics 12!!! I get the answers first, check them over and pick the wrong answer!! I should go with my instinct and read carefully! Huge test coming up... must do well.

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, here is the list on the people who are coming:

Nick
Troy
Peter (I'm 100% confirmed that he's going)
Adam
Eric
Victa
Wilfred
Tiep
Rat/Nick
Rat's Friend

And I just randomly Picked names out of the hat, and here are the Results:

GROUP 1
Adam
Wilfred
Rat's Friend

GROUP 2
Nick
Peter
Victa

GROUP 3
Eric
Troy
Tiep
RAT/Nick

After drawing the names out of a hat, I'd say that the groups are OK. Hope the best outta you!

RR in the groups, Winner in group 1 will play Winner in group 3, and Winner in group 2 will play the second place winner in group 3, considering that group 3 has 4 people, so the 2 finalists are in the top 4. Make enough sense?

Oh yeah, Tiep. I have a GCN count of Mine, and Erics. We Need 2 MORE. Can someone kindly bring a gcn, the cords, the memory card, and the SSBM disc? thanks in advance you guys ^-^

Rat

Smash Lord
uh I believe my information about my friend coming was a little premature.....he's not. Uh I'll definately be there tomorrow though

I'll bring my cube, game, memory disk-thing too (and 1 extra controller)

Patooty

Smash Ace
Eep! I got Eric -.-;

Alright.. I just spent the last 50 minutes editing and re-editing my posts over and over again because I kept seeing mistakes. First grammatically and stuff, and then my whole ideas were flawed. I must have typed thousands of words :ohwell:

Anyway, how about we seed the top 8 people into double elimination brackets. Just for setup's sake, not everyone would be able to be seeded. Last place in the RR would unfortunately have been eliminated from the tournament at this point. I just think that more than the top 4 people should make it outta RR because the matches might fly by too quickly. I mean, we got like.. 5+ hours right? Also, it would be more accurate this way and people can't complain that they got unluckily screwed by their RR opponents.

Nick, I'll try to bring my GC and stuff to help out.

Also, I'd like to low-tier it with you guys. I wanna see how I fair against all your Roys and DK's :p

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
GROUP 1
Adam
Wilfred
Someone else >_> I NEED TO FILL IN GUYS

GROUP 2
Nick
RAT
Victa

GROUP 3
Eric
Troy
Tiep

Rat told me that his friend can't make it, so i moved everybody up, and there seems to be a spot missing in Group # 1.

ADAM & WILFRED.
Weeg, if you can, PLEASE MAKE IT!! WE NEED TO FILL IN THE EXTRA SPOT!

Tiep: yeah, the top 8 thing is interesting, but we don't have enough participants in this tournament. So, maybe, we should have top 6 instead....BOTH the Finalists and the Winner in each group advances

Patooty

Smash Ace
That doesn't make sense... We had 10 and now we have 8 by taking one person away?

I think you're forgetting Nick. By his last post it looks like only his friend can't make it, but Nick is still coming.

EDIT* Nevermind. I checked the list again and it's Peter that's missing. Did he drop out or did you just forget him?

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Yeah, you said Peter was 100% coming haha. I will see if I can get a hold on Duong tomorrow.

So this thing goes down at 4 right? I'll finish homework and see if I can go. I am still against the 4 bucks to enter. First of all how are we going to get change, next, it is a lot of money for a such a small event which was just planned. I'm sorry if this offends anyone who wants $$, but little get togethers are 5 bucks or less (that is with like 20 people in it as well). I think you need to reconsider Nik, seriously man (no offence!! :):):):)).

Also I doubt we will have time for teams.

Patooty

Smash Ace
If change is a problem, then $5 could be done. I don't mind much the money. Washington Nick has a chance to win his gas money back, and then some :p and I think 3rd gets his money back too.

Who's up for a winner takes all $1 low-tier tourney?!?! XD

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Fast reply there Tiep. I'm in a for a free low tier one! It's for fun anyway hehe.

I just had a thought on the tournament. We could use those groups for RR as people have said. Make it a fast RR with one match each? (otherwise they take too long). Or make it a full RR tournament in groups or maybe lead into RR for ONE large group (which negates the groups). Then after? Brackets?
RR is used to place people in brackets, it is a little hard to set up and you need to take some time for that.

SUMMARY of that garbage up above:
Is this going to have a Round Robin? If it does, how will it work?
-Will it work in the groups we are placed (the random ones that Nik made)
-Will the entire tournament be RR as there are not very many people
-After RR (if used) do we enter brackets (I am pretty sure myself, but just to make sure with everyone). These brackets are hard to set up and will take some time to set up. Then we have to play them and see how that works.
-Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'll be like Azen (if I can go) and have "Freedom matches"... if anyone is interested? (Hopefully it does not interfere with tournament play and is for practice maybe? Hopefully I can use a tv as well).

Patooty

Smash Ace
bah, I got confused reading your post, troy -.-;

And sure, a free low-tier tourney. I really just wanna see how I stack up :)

Patooty

Smash Ace
heh, Mike, I wish I knew. Then I wouldn't be so giddy right now. BTW, I thought you were going to rep the WC team at FC3?

Troy: It's going to be RR seeded into brackets. It shouldn't be that hard to seed everyone. I'll do it myself if nobody else knows how to seed. Also, it's easier if we have an even number of 8. So then the order goes like.

8 players > 4 players advance > 2 players advance > 1 player advances

I didn't really wanna do six because it would be like

6 players > 3 players advance. Now there's an odd number and giving people freebies isn't really fair. And doing another RR with these 3 people might take a while.

As for the RR, I guess it could be only 1 match since we're going into brackets right after anyways. The purpose of the RR is just to have (if only slightly) more accurate brackets so then the person deserving of 3rd doesn't play the person deserving of 1st in the first match. And then he might even be so lucky to face the person deserving of 2nd in the losers bracket. Random stuff like that happens in random brackets..

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Tiep is right, it should be something like, that, from 8 to 4 to 2 to 1 winner

we can always do DOUBLE elimination starting from the beginning, cause RR will just get too confusing lol, plus, there aren't really a lot of people so yeah, 8 is enough

And Troy, PETER is coming, but he's just not gonna participate in the tournament, just have fun lol

Hopefully we'll get a LOW TIER FREE TOURNEY

AND A ORIGINAL SSB TOURNEY...MAY THE BEST MAN WIN

Oh yeah, one more thing, DON'T arrive earlier than 4:30. thanks in advance you guys ^-^

Cyris_P

Smash Journeyman
Hate to take you guys off tangent, but there's quite a few of us in Vernon that smash, we could pull a road trip tourny. Then again, I'm also a pipe dreamer. :p

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Cyris_P - you HAVE to come man, it's a great thing that's happening here. I hope you can make it - and bring friends.

Peter - he hasn't talked to me, I msged him a lot too, I hope I didn't do something to upset that guy. Maybe summer school and I haven't been talkin to him, but I haven't been talking to anyone lately, darn. It is going to be weird if he is mad at me there, I'll see what happens. Also I still am not 100% sure if I can go, so yeah, HOPE!

Patooty

Smash Ace
****, I burned my left hand yesterday cooking a midnight snack. Poured boiling water on it. I treated it and it's not so bad now, you can't even tell anything happened by looking at it, but it still feels weird holding a controller. I'm still playable though, so I'm definately still coming.

Cyris, we'd love the outside competition guys. If you can make it down here then all the power to ya.

I'm not gonna be able to bring my gc and stuff guys, my game is at my cousin's house -.-;

Oh yeah, Nick, if you read this before the tourney, should I go through the front door or the back? Do you want everyone to go through the back? Because I think your mom should like.. see at least some people walk through the front.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Tiep - I believe he said there will be a sign on the front door telling everyone to go to the back. I think you have to take the left side path to get there (not too sure). Just look at the sign (if not posted, front door then).

Patooty

Smash Ace
w00t!

Nice tourney guys. Anyone have full results? All I can remember is:

1.Tiep
2.Adam
3.Eric
4.Peter

BTW, Do I get the Best in BC Title now? :chuckle:

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Best... of that tournament Tiep! We still have a lot of BC smashers here and the ones who didn't/couldn't come still have a shot (like Wilfred). But excellent job guys, was really fun. Too bad I was heating up in the end... lol when I had to leave too.

Nick from WA - thanks so much for coming over man, it was a real pleasure meeting you, you're a really cool and nice guy. We had a lot of matches that day, it helped me a lot. The Samus vs Peach match was pretty intense!

Peter - whew, surprised me. First his Falco takes my Peach, Link and Luigi out, then almost makes a come back versus Eric.. with Young Link. Nuts, mad props for that. Thanks for reppin Kamikaze too.

Eric - can you say... "POTENTIAL"? Holy crap, this guy right here is a smash prodigy. He gets loads and loads better each time I see him, it's amazing. I wish I had some people to play against and hopefully can catch up to your level. Nice Fox dittos, they were probably the most fun I had. Too bad I couldn't heat it up more (yes, I still have more Fox left, but he bores me a bit). Falco = nuts too.

Nick from Van. - sorry I couldn't play you, but I know we both had a good time overall. Thanks for the housing and we all had a pretty good laugh... GOKU, VEGETA, TRUNKS hahahaha.

Adam - whew, you took me out fast man. The friends before and after, I was pretty much on pace with you, exchanging matches here and there. Then come tournament time, you took me out. You stepped it up and I was a bit nervous, but a loss is still a loss. I could not even come back from that, nice job man. Your battles with Weeg are still pretty even, the matches are really nice to see. I hope you have fun in Calgary man, laterrrrr.

Tiep - Excellent job taking first. That Samus is special, it is a very simple yet great way to play her. No need to make FAST movements, just make smart ones. Not only that but you can play other characters too! I can play you pretty evenly in friendlies though, you don't like facing Falcons eh?

Duong - the man of the hour. If he had come, I would think he would do some damage, our team was okay, but we never play teams, so I am surprised we got that far. He was always the last to live, great job to him.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Oh noez! I forgots my shoutouts!

Adam - I'll start with Adam. The one I faced in the finals. Heh, I did my hardest to beat you today man, just couldn't let ya walk away with the Best in BC Title for 6 months. I'm sure you know how you stack up against Wilfred and Victa already too ;) I'm sure I do. Awesome matches with you today, the finals were intense. My concentration was focused like a LASER! :laugh: Keep your skills sharp in Alberta man. Don't let it die, you're definately one of the BC All-stars.

Eric - The little brother :p You're completely awesome. I kept getting owned in friendlies, but when the pressures on, I guess I just shine. Your space animals are amazing. Heh, I miss fighting Mario and Pika, they don't have shine combos :psycho: When I got you right away in the brackets I honestly didn't know if I would make it through or be sent to losers. You're getting too awesome at this game. I think you can take Victa pretty good now. Keep it up! And pwn those Alberta boys for us when you get over there :D

Peter - I don't think I got to play even one 1v1 with you today. Watching your Young Link take down Eric's flaco was NUTS. It takes me everything I got to take Eric down. I didn't even know YL was capable of playing like that. You're Roy is pretty nasty too dude. Watching him in team battles was crazy. You got your combos down pat. Next time I'll be sure to get in at LEAST one match with you.

Nick from WA - It's awesome that you made it up here man. You didn't do too bad today. Practice up good and come back for next tourney. Get some SKYPAL practice so you can come up here and cream us next time :p If there's another SKYPAL in the summer I'm definately gonna try to make it to that. I hope to see you there too!

Nick from Nick's house - First off, thanks for hosting. Didn't get to play you in the tourney man. We practice lots and that's good though. I think you got me prepared for Eric XD Teams was pretty good. Adam and Eric just rock too much at it though. I'll be waiting (impatiently) for those vids Nick. I wanna see me vs Adam in the finals. And keep those lasers blasting, everyone really hates it :p

Troy - Phew, I dunno if I started doing bad near the end of the day or what but I got creamed in our friendlies. And my Samus CAN be fast. I just don't dash dance and stuff for no reason and it just SEEMS slow. yeah.. I'm lazy and I don't move unless I have to :p I usually save the flashy stuff for friendlies too. Like my bomb combos and stuff. We've never faced each other in tourney battle yet. Next time maybe :) Keep that infinite going. Watching you infinite that Comp Peach was just sick.

Duong - Still haven't played a single match with you yet, like ever. Next time I'll definately have to play you. Oh, and you have to play my Zelda too. I'm dying for some awesome low tier competition. You and Peter look like you got some nasty low-tier characters.

That's a wrap guys. Until next time. :samus:

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the address details x_nintensity_x and Dark_Dragon8.

If and when I make it over to the mainland, Vancouver is a lot more convinient than travelling out to Richmond.(Though still possible)

If I'm able to go over there it'll most likely be in August.

Rat

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I had a blast coming up to Vancouver to smahs with you guys. Shoutouts

Nik Louie - It was fun playing your falco even though you beat me in the tournament. Mis-fire master with luigi. Thanks alot for hosting and for the sweet deal on the pizza.

Tiep - Nice job winning the tournament. You better pratice too cause soon this jiggly puff is gonna smash your samus.

Troy - it was fun playin all those friendlies with you. I just couldn't beat that link dang. And yeah that peach vs Samus match was intense. I was kinda disapointed with my Jiggly on FD but i'll work on it.

Adam - Gl with 6 months away from smash, not sure if I could handle it. Your a cool guy i had alot of fun playin you. Your CF got to beat that samus one of these days

Shu - awesome playin teams with you. Roy and ness didn't work out to well. Sword to ness's dome :psycho: . Wicked projectiles with Young Link. Top Tier!!!

Eric - Only got to play you once but you beat me soundly. People say your hella good and I can see why.

Over all it was an awesome tournament, good thing I didn't lose anymoney. I was kinda worried about your beware of dog sign but then I saw the little guy and my fears left. I'll definately try to make it up there next time you guys smash.

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
Guys, good job man! Later, I might do some shoutouts, but I just came back from an 9 hour Seminar out in PoCo, so i'm verry tired X_X

And yeah, 36 bucks for Pizza was CRAZY! we had one big pizza left XD... and yeah, You're very welcome to coming to my basement again. MY BASEMENT > Punch Crew's lol -- 3 TV's is enough, no?

In brief 'bout the tournament, Rat, good job with your Jiggs, even though I beat it in the beginning, and i kinda lost gas after the tourney XD good EdgeGaurding!

ADAM: My man, you're always dominant from the beginning I played against you. VERY close matches. You have good timing on your sheilding, so I couldn't start up a lot of combos --> you're a VERY good warm-up guy against my Falco.

ERIC: Good job man in beating me in Falco Dittos ^_^ I just can't stand Falco Dittos and the laser screwing me up, so i'm gonna switch to Marth someday. I dunno yet, but I will. Or else, BE SOME OTHER CHARACTER XD

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
Random Guy

I'm just curious to know, who's the best Canadian player and where are they from? I've heard about this Ken guy who is good but I think he's American :confused:As you can probably tell I'm from Ontario but it seems like I'm alone seeing how we have no thread and/or tourney's (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough). I'm also wondering if there is a major SSBM tourney coming up somewhere, because I recently came back from T6 (if you guys have heard about it), and found out that Deadly Alliance (SSBM) was apart of Empire Arcadia, and want to go up against them (even though I'm not even good).

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
dark_dragon8 said:
Ken is american and from Southern California.
Canada's best is Mike from Edmonton. Prove him wrong if you wish!
oohhh Edmonton. Would you so happen to know where in Edmonton? Because I might down there for vacation.

Patooty

Smash Ace
heh, Cities are as specific as we get. If you want stuff like his address you'll have to talk to him. Mike comes in here every once in a while so you might catch him sometime.

As for major CANADIAN tourneys, I don't think there is one planned for anytime n the near future. You can however try to ask some of the Edmonton smashers to host though. They've done it before so you know that they don't have a problem with location or housing and they've got some experience with it :)

Patooty

Smash Ace
PhoenyxFyre, well, that all depends on if anybody wants to undertake that task. I'm sure we can do it if we can get someone motivated to host. Hosting isn't easy though, there's a lot of work that goes into it, and there's a lot of little things that have to be taken care of for the tourney to go through smoothly. The task is quite daunting. And at the end of all the planning, there's still the matter of whether everybody could make it.

Nick - Hey, you're still workin' on uploading those vids right? I'm lookin' forward to 'em :)

inbashkir

Smash Rookie
Lets have a tournament anywhere near Ontario!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares who's in it, edmonton vancouver everyone go. I just need a tournament a reasonable distance to go to. I've never been to one wanna see how I rank up. AAARRGGHHH

Top Bottom