• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

smash mash

Smash Apprentice
"roby said typical asian thinking because its true. the way any foriegn person was raised is to put school first and that a good education = good life..."

im sorry guys but it kinda got me irrated that chocalate said that being the fact that i wuz basically raised as a teen in a foreign country so i seriously dont know how i should take that....in other words its insulting...just because someones raised n another country it doesnt make u ignorant and naive....seriosly what do u mean by any????!!! but i honestly think any man chooses his own path in life and anybody can be succesful AND HAPPY sorrounded by the people they love most when they put there mind to it, in any way did i try to offend u roby if i did im sorry...i was just giving my point of view!!!.....now it can go back to smash talk..... : )

smash mash

Smash Apprentice
oh and btw roby from what i know u so far i personally think ur a cool guy and dont pay attention to whatever these guys might say i think the main reason they post things like that on smashboards s cause thiere jealous of your crazy tech skillz lol...help me train!!! : D

sorry for posting so much i didnt know how to delete the other posts...

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
smash_mash, he means how people foreigners usually have parents who place a large amount of emphasis on education. This is very true with Asian countries. My parents, and a lot of my friends' parents, emphasize going to university and becoming engineers/doctors/lawyers as the one and true path to happiness without a second though. He wasn't being offensive.

unityole

Smash Lord
should have more faith and believe in drug dealing and pimping. and working as a cleaner or live on streets. its a more natural life than a "normal" living in a house life.

zPhoenixExz: u said you're 3rd year SFU student? never really see u on smashboard b4, maybe i have, in the past but i dont just cant recall ur swf name. did u kno that theres always the engineering lounge located on the 10000 floor of ASB where evan usually bring his melee here and play along with bwmat. and theres also smash 64, and a broken foosball table.

SforzendaiZair

Smash Cadet
education is good and all but it dosn't help in real world at all........... I had a GPA of 94% and it dosn't really help at anything..... ok besides getting into college/Universtiy..... but if you are good at somthing it works just as well me freind got 71% GPA and is working as a mechanic getting 28 dollars an hour.

smash mash

Smash Apprentice
smash_mash, he means how people foreigners usually have parents who place a large amount of emphasis on education. This is very true with Asian countries. My parents, and a lot of my friends' parents, emphasize going to university and becoming engineers/doctors/lawyers as the one and true path to happiness without a second though. He wasn't being offensive.
oh ok in that case i dont care...

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
education is good and all but it dosn't help in real world at all........... I had a GPA of 94% and it dosn't really help at anything..... ok besides getting into college/Universtiy..... but if you are good at somthing it works just as well me freind got 71% GPA and is working as a mechanic getting 28 dollars an hour.
No. At least, not entirely.

High school education doesn't really prepare you for the real world. It's because high schools really baby you a lot when it comes to getting things done. You get a lot of class time to work on things and you've got teachers that you can easily approach on a one-to-one basis. University requires you to be more independent and more of a self starter, because you have to do a lot more yourself, which is more along the "real world" way of thinking. Some people handle this change quite well, others don't.

Also, high school programming taught me Pascal (a language that's been dead for years) and Delphi, which is great for databases, but I haven't really seen anyone use it outside of that class. At least in uni you start using languages people actually use today.

Besides, most of the jobs I'm interested in pretty much require a university degree or will hire me for a co-op job or something like that. It all depends on what kind of job you actually want.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
The ideals behind a steady education actually developped around 2 things.

1. When farmers would go work on the farms, sometimes the youngest kids of the many, because there were so many kids in a familly, needed a place to be taken care of. The army would take the men away while the women worked at the house and the kids had some place to stay for the down time.

When famillies grew, the people taking care of the famillies were often overwhelmed, in other words, it was just a form of getting away from the kids. That's what the very first "schools" were meant to be, though they weren't called "schools" at first, they just eventually turned into them.

2. School, even today, though it's somewhat lost, is just about learning to proccess and function in the world. The necessities of launguage, basic math, a slight look at art and trades is all there because he teaches young people what it means to have to get things done and how to do things.

That's why they teach algebra, it works the brain. Not because it's useful. You may learn about Shakespear, it's not because it's useful, just because it keeps your mind active in a different area.

Don't compare Methods with Ideals.

The idealism of the educational system today is that it's meant to show young people all of their options and get them in their own direction within everyday life. Though, without the right tools and systems in place, that's why it doesn't usually succeed in that.

Most jobs require paper work from some university stating that you're qualified to do something because you were functional enough to get what the university threw at you done. Nothing more. That's an example of why it's flawed in this process. You could easily have learned everything you know now more efficiently and quickly on your own than through university. University simply gives people set goals and the little things that school tries to get everyone to do. In other words, keeps what you're trying to accomplish, organized for you. Nothing more.

coughsmashcough

Patooty

Smash Ace
Besides, most of the jobs I'm interested in pretty much require a university degree
X

More research required.
I'm assuming you're getting into programming btw :)

EDIT:

Also...

That's why they teach algebra, it works the brain. Not because it's useful.
Please no math hate. Some advanced math may be pretty useless on it's own, but in the hands of an engineer, great things may come.

I just figured out a way to make $240 to 300/(hour+1)

Math sucks when you can't use it for stuff lol

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Of course it has its uses. Everything does to someone. lol

I've made 1000$ an hour about 10 times and over 400$ an hour about 60 times through music and in my line of work, heating, I could make 450$/hour if I wanted to risk my life doing it.

XD

It's sad but cool how every penny I made through music has gone straight back into music... >_>

Patooty

Smash Ace
whoa.. didn't mean to make this a "i can make $x doing y" competition. Just wanted to defend math since it's giving me some luxury right now lol.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I know, math is cool haha. I just thought about those numbers and I'm always amazed how spending movey makes money, no matter how much. Oh, and HVAC and music involve a LOT of math too. ;p

AIDS

Smash Lord
Academia has its advantages and disadvantages.
Money doesn't necessarily mean happiness. And it certainly doesn't prescribe joy.
Depending on whether you have an academic mind, you will do well or poorly in school.
Commitment to school plays a key role as well.
I've met some incredibly ignorant people at UBC.
I've met some ingenius people who don't have a masters or PhD.
I go to school for a piece of paper. I will go to med school to help kids.
I go to school because my girlfriend's mom might hate me less if I have a "Dr." in front of my name.
School will give you recognition in our society, facilitating the job-finding process.

Make your choice.

Metà

Smash Master
omg Wilfred I didn't know you go to SFU. I'm going to assume you're taking classes at Burnaby campus, and if so, we should play Melee sometime. Me and Bwmat both play Melee quite frequently here, and you're welcome to join us anytime if you still play, just contact me by MSN or email (ecw6[at]sfu[dot]ca). I haven't seen you in forever man, I remember your Peach used to straight up own me.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
X

More research required.
I'm assuming you're getting into programming btw :)
Okay, I misspoke. Require was probably a bit too strong of a word.

Yes, you can learn on your own. But a lot of the time employers, including in the IT industry, like to see something on paper that says "yes, I know this stuff", rather than just trusting you on your word (though the portfolio helps). While not necessary, having a degree makes things a lot easier when it comes to finding a job. After the first few jobs, though, the degree becomes less important because you have some good work experience under your belt. It's just good for getting the start.

Personally, I find it easier to learn things in a classroom setting, though. I tried to learn Java in high school by myself and gave up on object-oriented programming. Then I took the course at UVic and for some reason it made a lot more sense.

Also, another nice thing about uni is you can form an official university club and book big lecture rooms for free to play smash. :p

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
should have more faith and believe in drug dealing and pimping. and working as a cleaner or live on streets. its a more natural life than a "normal" living in a house life.

zPhoenixExz: u said you're 3rd year SFU student? never really see u on smashboard b4, maybe i have, in the past but i dont just cant recall ur swf name. did u kno that theres always the engineering lounge located on the 10000 floor of ASB where evan usually bring his melee here and play along with bwmat. and theres also smash 64, and a broken foosball table.
Nope I don't know....I'm usually far away from the ASB at the biology student union lounge, or somewhere in the west mall for finance related stuff.

Supertramp

Smash Cadet
oh my gosh this forum is entertaining. all this stuff in the last two days adds HEAT to smash. DIGG IT.

COME OUT TO UBC TOURNAMENT ERRONE. there is bubble tea nearby.

and NOOBS there will be noobs I am guarenteeing this.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I think Tiep might have been referring to alternatives to universities, like BCIT which is where he attended and upon graduation got a job with a Vancouver studio that's working with mother****ing Capcom of all companies :o

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I think Tiep might have been referring to alternatives to universities, like BCIT which is where he attended and upon graduation got a job with a Vancouver studio that's working with mother****ing Capcom of all companies :o
If that's the case, then I should have replaced "university" with "post-secondary education".

I've heard great things about BCIT's comp sci program, btw.

unityole

Smash Lord
Nope I don't know....I'm usually far away from the ASB at the biology student union lounge, or somewhere in the west mall for finance related stuff.
if u're interested feel free to give me a call. i can show u around ASB so u know where these things take place.

my cell is 604 722 7798

unityole

Smash Lord
If that's the case, then I should have replaced "university" with "post-secondary education".

I've heard great things about BCIT's comp sci program, btw.
generally speaking, i hate computer science, hands down.
i went for engineering but in the end the jobs i go through are mostly programming, kinda dum. all the other hardware language programming jobs are too rare/too hard to find, or mechanical tech stuff. either that or im just not looking for it enough.

cedrick

Smash Apprentice
lol wtf i was wondering where this thread was

anyone at ubc today who feels like playing at like 5 oclock, the guys hosting the tournament are having a meeting at today at Buch A205. there will be smash + sf4 i think. ill be dropping by for an hour or so

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
You peeps should be thankful that you are NOT in MBB (Biochem) where some of the prof straight up TELLS you that they're going to fail 20% of the class....it was like "who here is trying to go to med school"... (People raise hands)..."well one fifth of you won't because this class generally has 20% failure rate, so better get your study habits in order." WTF? Talk about depressing or what? And the prof actually honoured his promise at 1st midterm where the class average was like 8 out of 30, and I got an A with 15/30...

Another prof made a multiple choice where right = 1 mark, wrong = take off 2 marks...I nearly left the whole thing blank and somehow got above avg....This is truly useless academic, all these crap for a lab technician job :dizzy:

/endrant. :p

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman
I will drop in for half an hour perhaps to meet Brian. But I will be going to UBC for the engineering open house; if anybody would be interested in an engineering career http://www.engineering.ubc.ca/openhouse. Then I will go to SFU and get some work done with Jack. I will go to Jack's smash fest next Saturday though.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
generally speaking, i hate computer science, hands down.
i went for engineering but in the end the jobs i go through are mostly programming, kinda dum. all the other hardware language programming jobs are too rare/too hard to find, or mechanical tech stuff. either that or im just not looking for it enough.
I know. UVic's co-op program is amazing but even then it's hard for anyone that's not in software engineering to get a good job because there's so few of them out there. I repeatedly see mech engineering jobs with 15+ applicants for each of them on our co-op board and I know someone in mech that both times didn't find a job until after the term started. It's a competitive market.

unityole

Smash Lord
You peeps should be thankful that you are NOT in MBB (Biochem) where some of the prof straight up TELLS you that they're going to fail 20% of the class....it was like "who here is trying to go to med school"... (People raise hands)..."well one fifth of you won't because this class generally has 20% failure rate, so better get your study habits in order." WTF? Talk about depressing or what? And the prof actually honoured his promise at 1st midterm where the class average was like 8 out of 30, and I got an A with 15/30...

Another prof made a multiple choice where right = 1 mark, wrong = take off 2 marks...I nearly left the whole thing blank and somehow got above avg....This is truly useless academic, all these crap for a lab technician job :dizzy:

/endrant. :p
20 percent fail rate.. my year started with 441 students, now theres only around 30 left lol.
sfu engineering requires 150 credits and 3 co-op term experiences in order to graduate, thats like at least 2 years more. but if u truly wanna go look for hard stuff, try upper year math and physics for their theory, those are the ones that are pretty much useless, but too hard to understand.

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
20 percent fail rate.. my year started with 441 students, now theres only around 30 left lol.
sfu engineering requires 150 credits and 3 co-op term experiences in order to graduate, thats like at least 2 years more. but if u truly wanna go look for hard stuff, try upper year math and physics for their theory, those are the ones that are pretty much useless, but too hard to understand.
Ya, I've heard nasty things about engineering faculty. But hey, since you still have time for smash it could not be that bad.

Erm WTF are you doing posting your cell phone # on a public forum :O Spam calls nightmare...not to mention I'm not going to call and go "hey, is unityole here, its me, this random smash guy on smashboards", I think I can navigate to asb by myself, I am 3rd year (almost 4th) afterall.

unityole

Smash Lord
Ya, I've heard nasty things about engineering faculty. But hey, since you still have time for smash it could not be that bad.

Erm WTF are you doing posting your cell phone # on a public forum :O Spam calls nightmare...not to mention I'm not going to call and go "hey, is unityole here, its me, this random smash guy on smashboards", I think I can navigate to asb by myself, I am 3rd year (almost 4th) afterall.
u dont have to call, but if u love the game enough you would come looking for it without calling.

Canadian*Sniper

Smash Cadet
**** happens. Deal with it.
I can see the motivational poster now XD

Come on guys, am I the only person who's noticed that fourshot has 0 posts?
fourshot doesn't exist. The number of posts proves that.

I lol'd. however, there are magic tricks involving keeping an image stuck in a mirror for like 1 second. It's really hard to do though and I still don't understand how it works.

Top Bottom