• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

AIDS

Smash Lord
Uhhh those don't show of captain falcon's manlyness.

1) They're too long. It's liek they're compensating...
2) Final Fantasy Death music = Fails.
3) They don't have the manly combo

And whats the manly combo u say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S-4MgKXElU&feature=related

that's the manly combo.
#1 old video, and it is called the sacred combo, not manly combo.
#2 if you enjoy watching one of those for over and over, fill your boots with that video.
#3 to get that combo, the opponent must DI retardly, or else it will not work.
#4 2 hit combo...not as cool as like a 10-20 hit combo to knee.
#5 Somthing totally set up vs somthing done in combat....yeah.....................

JProph

Smash Rookie
1) Doesn't matter what it's called it's freaking sexy
2) Oh I will.
3) Which would make it that much more amazing in a real match
4) Which would u rather see in a tournament match... a dude that does a bunch of flying kicks that end in a single sweet move, or just a straight electrified knee to the face followed by a Firey Fist to the stomach to end it.
5) Obviously setup, I wasn't saying it was legit :p... I just would like to see it :(

AIDS

Smash Lord
1) Doesn't matter what it's called it's freaking sexy
2) Oh I will.
3) Which would make it that much more amazing in a real match
4) Which would u rather see in a tournament match... a dude that does a bunch of flying kicks that end in a single sweet move, or just a straight electrified knee to the face followed by a Firey Fist to the stomach to end it.
5) Obviously setup, I wasn't saying it was legit :p... I just would like to see it :(
i will be happy to hire a noob and treach him to DI reatrdly so i can perform it thn, and mach dash in taunting the bull has a falcon punch kill, one of the most amazing considering the situation.

i would rather see **** to knee, falcon punch feels good, but it is not consistant.

JProph

Smash Rookie
Hire me :D

I'll DI for u.

BTW can anyone explain to me why Marth isn't top tier along with Falco and Fox... I'm a little lost on this one.

Metà

Smash Master
The tier list isn't 100% accurate, because it's impossible to accurately rank characters like that when humans are controlling them. One thing it does well is relative order though. For example, it will tell you approximately where a character lies in terms of how it compares to others in competitive play.

JProph

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know that but still. Why isn't marth top tier... I mean it seems pretty obvious.

1) Disjointed hitbox
2) Amazing grab range
3) Superior control
4) An amazing spike
5) He's fast
6) Good recovery

Do I go on? All I can see that's bad is that he doesn't have a projectile...

Patooty

Smash Ace
It's easy to grab any (most) characters and throw down a bunch of strong points for them. Doesn't mean they're top tier.

In theory, Marth loses to lots of stuff. In practice he doesn't 'cause humans make mistakes.

JProph

Smash Rookie
That was very vague. It doesn't say why he doesn't deserves it at all or not. Just says characters are easy to grab... which makes me think... Chain throw the spacies? Another reason Marth should be top tier?

Trozz

Smash Ace
Another reason? The tipper f-smash murders. Plus, anything he does in the air. Marth's d-tilt is a lot better in Melee too.

Patooty

Smash Ace
k, you go first :bee:

What are some of the reasons he deserves it? So far you've listed:

1) Disjointed hitbox
2) Amazing grab range
3) Superior control
4) An amazing spike
5) He's fast
6) Good recovery

which is insufficient because:

1) Roy has this
2) Roy has this
3) What does this mean?
4) Roy doesn't have this
5) Subjective... Roy is fast..?
6) Subjective... Roy has a good recovery..?

Or even using YL as an example.

1) YL has this
2) YL has this
3) ?
4) YL doesn't have an amazing spike
5) YL is fast
6) YL has a better recovery than Marth
7!!! YL has projectiles

YL should be on the same tier as Marth?

Obviously tier stuff requires more in-depth discussion than this. I just don't want the ball to be entirely in my court to put forth the entire discussion for all of Marth's strengths, weaknesses, character matchups etc.. to answer your question.

Anyways, why do you think Marth should be top tier?

JProph

Smash Rookie
k, you go first :bee:

What are some of the reasons he deserves it? So far you've listed:

1) Disjointed hitbox
2) Amazing grab range
3) Superior control
4) An amazing spike
5) He's fast
6) Good recovery

which is insufficient because:

1) Roy has this
2) Roy has this
3) What does this mean?
4) Roy doesn't have this
5) Subjective... Roy is fast..?
6) Subjective... Roy has a good recovery..?

Or even using YL as an example.

1) YL has this
2) YL has this
3) ?
5) YL is fast
7!!! YL has projectiles

Obviously tier stuff requires more in-depth discussion than this. I just don't want the ball to be entirely in my court to put forth the entire discussion for all of Marth's strengths, weaknesses, character matchups etc.. to answer your question.

Anyways, why do you think Marth should be top tier?
Well what I meant by control is this. U can guide how far u hit the person using different parts of your blade. AKA Control.

As for subjective to speed, it's not. Marth has the third fastest running speed in the game next to Fox and C-Fal.

Roy is not viable cause he's kind of an oxymoron. Sure he has a disjointed hitbox but all the power is at the beginning of the blade and not the tip. So basically ur opponent has to be close for ur to use your full power, thus making the disjointed hitbox alot less useful than it could be. Not saying that it doesnt beat not having a disjointed hitbox at all, just stating the fact that, well it kinda has a ****ty situation surrounding it.

Anyways we can pull in other characters if you want, but I was just stating, what makes fox and falco quantitively better than Marth? Cause I am lost in this fact.

PS I am a super noob at this game haha. If I argue it just so I can learn. :p

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
"Superior Control" is not a good reason. Anyone who plays a character enough would know where a character will fly and can react to combo it.

You dont really "guide" where the opponent goes with marth because they can DI several different directions. Also when attack you dont attack thinking "I going to attack him here with my fair so I can dair spike him" You just fair and hope that it hits at the spot and they DI wrong.

Having an amazing spike does not make someone top tier. Anyone can gimp anyone. And when marth is in a position to dair spike other characters are able to do several other stuff that are just good.

Speed does not count for much or anything. Just because a character is faster then another doesnt mean the faster one has the advantage.

Sure he has an amazing grab. Thats one for him. Chain grabbing spacies is also not a viable reason because not everyone plays spacies. Tiers are based on all characters not just the top 3-5.

Marth's recovery is not that great. Its good but not great. Light Shield edge guard ***** marth. and its really predicatble. IMO Sheiks recovery is better then marths.

Why not sheik being top tier?
Everything combos.
Easy edge guards.
Great grab.
Decent recovery.
Good Speed.

Arguing/Debating will not help you learn much at all. The only and best way to learn is through experience or watching. If you go to SFU tourney Eric and I will show you why Marth is not top tier.

JProph

Smash Rookie
Solid. I'll prob come

I should prob just ignore tiers altogether, but still... they don't make sense to me.

But as for speed... cmon you can't deny that's huge. The ability to get to the opponent at a quicker pace... lets see for me that shows that a) the opponent has less time to react to what's coming, b) you can reach the opponent before his character can even do something...

and prob some other things I'm not observing.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his flaw, and I knew the Marth killer was one of those, but still... like how are the tiers decided anyways?

Rampage

vx
Solid. I'll prob come

I should prob just ignore tiers altogether, but still... they don't make sense to me.

But as for speed... cmon you can't deny that's huge. The ability to get to the opponent at a quicker pace... lets see for me that shows that a) the opponent has less time to react to what's coming, b) you can reach the opponent before his character can even do something...

and prob some other things I'm not observing.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his flaw, and I knew the Marth killer was one of those, but still... like how are the tiers decided anyways?
Tiers are decided by the SBR (Smash back room) They gather all the information from recent tournaments and see who won what tournament with what character and such. It usually takes a year or two to create a tier list.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Okay so tiers blow.
NVM then...
fixed*

That's my input on tiers. Random is kind of top to bottom so I don't care. It's fun to discuss sometimes though ;]

Anywho something that really matters.

It has been brought to my attention that the Kelowna smashers are not on the first post!
2 people have PMed me because they saw a post of mine and it said "Kelowna" and another was browsing this thread and it had my post where it said who was to be added. Can someone (you know who) add the Kelownians and maybe the Kamloops people to the list too? If you need to know the info again just ask cause I'm not gonna bother posting that crap if (you know who) this goes unresponded to (sort of again). Kthanxbye4nao

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Tier lists are based on characters played at their highest level possible.

I still consider Marth top tier just for one reason and that being a Marth with perfect timing/spacing can't be penetrated by any other character at all, not even Fox.

Smash is all about controlling your character and the space around him. But unfortuantly we are all not M2K and Fox remains top.

Fox/Falco/Marth is the triforce of smash.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Patooty said:
1) YL has this
2) YL has this
3) ?
5) YL is fast
7!!! YL has projectiles

Hell yeah he should. Higher with the projectiles.

unityole

Smash Lord
It has been brought to my attention that the Kelowna smashers are not on the first post!
2 people have PMed me because they saw a post of mine and it said "Kelowna" and another was browsing this thread and it had my post where it said who was to be added. Can someone (you know who) add the Kelownians and maybe the Kamloops people to the list too? If you need to know the info again just ask cause I'm not gonna bother posting that crap if (you know who) this goes unresponded to (sort of again). Kthanxbye4nao
lowermain land = BC, so kelowna, mission and other places, not bc.
wait mission is part of lowermain land right?or maybe not.

talk to dark_dragon8, he made the thread

unityole

Smash Lord

Arguing/Debating will not help you learn much at all. The only and best way to learn is through experience or watching. If you go to SFU tourney Eric and I will show you why Marth is not top tier.
what he says, it's like that for Evan until evan started to play more and got better.
losing through playing will gain you the experience, from that you'll get better, the next SFU tournament is this saturday 21st..

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Tiers are decided by the SBR (Smash back room) They gather all the information from recent tournaments and see who won what tournament with what character and such. It usually takes a year or two to create a tier list.
Recent as in 2006. We need an update to that...

Dynamism said:
That list is also fairly old, seeing as there's no Brawl stuff on it and some newer members aren't on there (I didn't start getting into the tournament scene until about the end of March). There's a slightly newer one out there, but that's only current as of SFU6, which was almost two months ago.

VA

Smash Hero
hum, well it was good playing all you guys on saturday.

I have some johns lined up but I can't be bothered typing them out.

I have you all guaged now. Watch out, I'll be back...vanityangel for best samus in Canada?!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I think you guys have an Okanagon thread somewhere in the depths of smashboards.
Yeah there is but...

lowermain land = BC, so kelowna, mission and other places, not bc.
wait mission is part of lowermain land right?or maybe not.

talk to dark_dragon8, he made the thread
Why is that not BC? What is it then?

It says BC Canada Thread, tis BC Canada up here all the same. You know what?! WAHTEVER! Ok!?? lol :laugh:

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah I know that but still. Why isn't marth top tier... I mean it seems pretty obvious.

1) Disjointed hitbox
2) Amazing grab range
3) Superior control
4) An amazing spike
5) He's fast
6) Good recovery

Do I go on? All I can see that's bad is that he doesn't have a projectile...
Tiers are based on matchups u silly boy

Captain falcon for top tier:

1) Good specials
2) Strongest knee in the game
3) Good recovery (he grabs people)
4) He's fast
5) Amazing spike
6) Superior Control
7) Strong punch
8) Good taunt

JProph

Smash Rookie

1) Good specials
4) He's fast
5) Amazing spike
6) Superior Control
7) Strong punch
8) Good taunt
I have to agree with that one.

unityole

Smash Lord

1) Good specials
4) He's fast
5) Amazing spike
6) Superior Control
7) Strong punch
8) Good taunt
sorry to say but even if you are trying to be sarcastic, what you said is all true. cfalcon is top tier :/

9) it's hot
10) its hot too
11) adam uses it, auto top tier
12) moon walk (goodspecials?)
13) cant di vs falcon
14) falcon looks same in all 3 games
15) GOOD FUKING COMBOS!

JProph

Smash Rookie
16) He has nipple studs
17) U know he's hung like an elephant
18) I'm pretty sure he knows famous people like jesus and tupac and ****