• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Neat little observation:

When I first played Brawl about a month or so before it's North American release I posted my impressions on it. Simply put, my (too quick to judge) judgements about the game not having depth and not being ABLE to have depth was met with a bunch of replies about it being impossible for me to know that - what with only playing the game for about a week.

Now a bunch of the same people who've been telling me that have finally been able to touch the game for about a month now, and now THEY'RE at the phase where they're saying the game doesn't have depth/is not able to have depth/has little depth etc... while I'm now on to "the game has a good (fair?) amount of depth.".

Just a cool little observation I thought I'd share.
Well I've been firmly on the "Brawl has quite a bit of depth" we haven't explored camp for quite some time now! And so far I'm being proven right as at least one character seems to be getting something new every once in a while and I myself am learning quite a bit. But then again, I'm just a bit slow. I didn't realize Meta Knight could do a d-air -> n-air in one shorthop until I went through the Back Room Discussion on it and I'm going to see what I can do with it =)

Oh right, for those interested, the Back Room is doing a discussion on a character each week and then opening it up to the public. I found it a fairly interesting read. The first week was Meta Knight and the next week will likely be Wolf.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159785

Edit: It seems the Wolf one went up earlier today
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162112

unityole

Smash Lord
Adam, Eric, Evan, Matt and Manli on my behave please play superboom and beat him at least once =)
I will be driving to airport n back to hear good news, BC smashers ftw!

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
1 : no you cant win with low tier in meele, its been out long enough for everyone to know foxs win tournies, and marth : /. ,No there isnt more you can do with the game(sbb), yes you have rediculously broken combos, but brawl has combos too Fyi. you just havent explored it enough EX: my yoshi at first may not have had alot of combos but ive pulled off quite a few now that ive found a few things in the game to abuse 1. being weakening attacks to make combos alot easier. Camping is always the start as firestorm said, ive alrdy found quite a few offensive stratagies to break campers. This game is deeper then you might think(cant find how deep it is in 1 month With any game , and the competitive gameplay will get better considering its us the players who create it. It has pulled alot more people into it and tournies are getting bigger and bigger which should be fun. And lastly if you dont enjoy it dont play it : /

And the number of options in ssb to brawl is definatly not more o_0

ONLY Marth and Fox? Wow Kyle, where have you been for the past 2 years? Jiggs, IC's, Falco, Sheik, Samus. These are ALL characters that have won a major tournament in North America within the last 2 years. The last HUGE tournament was won by none other than Mango, a Jiggs main.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Brawl is just dumbed down from Meele.

Meele can do everything Brawl can and much, much more. The only debate there is that people enjoy Brawl over Meele is because they are tired of getting beaten by expeirenced players or think now they actually have SOME chance of getting good at a smash game.

Thats why I was so hyped over Brawl, because I thought "fresh start" heres my chance, only realizing I wasted my time. SSBB isn't terrible. The game is fairly well balanced, it relies so much more on timing and spacing the attacks down to the frames since therse no flexibility in Brawl as much as meele... not sure if you know what I mean.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Lies, its only fox in disguise, and i agree dieslow brawl does get boring after awile but the next day its awesome again : D i can only sit down for brawl for maybe 2 hours, enless im having alot of insanely close matches win and lose ect even then it gets a bit iono. but seriosly it was still very limited on who you could play to win tournies for the longest time : /

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
God ****it Roby, can u please remember that I'm still waiting for my controller?

Anyways, Firestorm don't you play TF2? I hope you've heard about the new patch that's coming out...

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
God ****it Roby, can u please remember that I'm still waiting for my controller?

Anyways, Firestorm don't you play TF2? I hope you've heard about the new patch that's coming out...
Yes, yes I have. I disagree with some of the achievements because I can see people being morons to get them already. But as someone who has 33 hours as Medic, it'll be fun to get some of them while playing with friends =) Have only played TF2 once since Brawl came out though. Been busy with school + Brawl. Need more offline playtime though! Can't wait for SFU 6.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
Yes, yes I have. I disagree with some of the achievements because I can see people being morons to get them already. But as someone who has 33 hours as Medic, it'll be fun to get some of them while playing with friends =) Have only played TF2 once since Brawl came out though. Been busy with school + Brawl. Need more offline playtime though! Can't wait for SFU 6.
Funny, ever since I started playing TF2, I barely played Brawl at all. I've played maybe a couple Brawl matches in the past two weeks, as opposed to TF2, which I play all the time these days. Brawl simply can't compare on-line, not even remotely close.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Add me guys, my ID is "UDorhune", I need a few more friends cuz over half of these achievements are virtually impossible to accomplish under normal circumstances.

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's online is inexcusably crappy we all know, but Melee didn't have any online so crappy online > no online. And in terms of getting bored at smash, for all three smash games I usually get bored of 1 vs. 1 pretty quickly, but I can play 2 vs. 2 all night.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Speaking of the crappy online- I have never been able to play a random game online- Has anyone else had that problem? I just sit in the "With Anyone" waiting room forever, beating up the sandbag and listening to that same 10 second sound clip. Am I doing something wrong?

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
No it takes forever most of the time. Very rarely I've been able to get a match fairly quickly, but the vast majority of the time I sit around forever. My tip is to jut switch to another channel and watch TV and you know when you've got a match when the disk starts making tons of loading sounds.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Ahhh seriously? That's lame. I'll give it another try tonight. What would be cool if they piped a sound through the wiimote. Or you know... if they didn't do everything so badly. That would have also been cool.

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry the loading sound is obvious, I never miss a match. They might pipe a sound through the wiimote, I dunno, they do it when you select a character.

It's not only finding a match that's dumb for random matches, but some unchangeable rules and huge lack of options/modes...ugh **** it Nintendo...

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Funny, ever since I started playing TF2, I barely played Brawl at all. I've played maybe a couple Brawl matches in the past two weeks, as opposed to TF2, which I play all the time these days. Brawl simply can't compare on-line, not even remotely close.
I'd played 100 hours of TF2 by the time I got Brawl so yeah >.>; Well, getting massive games with friends going is still fun. After our last huge project I got like 14 of my friends online and joined a server. Was fun =D

Brawl online isn't too bad once you DMZ your Wii and play locally. I was playing with John and I had no noticeable lag on my side. Although I haven't played offline in a while so it might be just my perception.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
I'd played 100 hours of TF2 by the time I got Brawl so yeah >.>; Well, getting massive games with friends going is still fun. After our last huge project I got like 14 of my friends online and joined a server. Was fun =D

Brawl online isn't too bad once you DMZ your Wii and play locally. I was playing with John and I had no noticeable lag on my side. Although I haven't played offline in a while so it might be just my perception.
Even when there isn't lag though, setting up matches is just horribly tedious. Even when two people are online and on eachothers list already, you still have to set up a completely seperate line of communication in order to get the match set up. No sort of messaging or any way to invite people in the game. And as many people already know, the random set up matches, even when they do manage to work, don't really "work".

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I guess I don't notice it much as my laptop is right beside my TV and I always have someone to play if I want. I obviously want better, but I can work with it.

Also, something you Melee players might dislike, but by the end of this month (or maybe at this moment), there are more copies of Brawl than Melee in the United States. Melee sold about 3 million in its lifetime in the USA iirc, Brawl sold 2.7 million in March. Brawl has passed Melee in Japan already.

unityole

Smash Lord
planning another tourney.. sometime late in May or early June?

also this time im having Brawl eariler than expected, but of course 64 and melee will always be there.
please help me again with TVs and setup.

hope i dont get sick this time, johns all over !

also capin # of players at max of 30 people. will increase # of people if I can get 6 TVs or more.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Next tourney should be around late May, I think that high schoolers have exams during early June.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I second that! lol

If this tourney is the May 30th weekend let me know cause I'm coming through Vancouver then. Or if there's a tourney in Vancouver at all that weekend, let me know either here or PM me or both. I need to get some good smash in when I'm down there. I don't get to go there much so I need the trip to be worth it smash wise. Get me in a tourney! NAO!!!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
If that's the case, maybe we should aim for May 30th weekend? I guess if you cap at 30 players Brawl + Melee + 64 could work, but if it's anything like last time... yeah, no other events other than Brawl Singles + Doubles in 1 day @_@

of course people brought the TVs that were promised it might have been less of an issue =/

unityole

Smash Lord
If that's the case, maybe we should aim for May 30th weekend? I guess if you cap at 30 players Brawl + Melee + 64 could work, but if it's anything like last time... yeah, no other events other than Brawl Singles + Doubles in 1 day @_@

of course people brought the TVs that were promised it might have been less of an issue =/

i got lots of time, end of may would be end of the 1st month of my summer semester
im usually good with studies so its not a problem

but then the 11s and 12s most likely going to have provincial exam during that time, from maybe late May to mid June. note theres also the gamecluck thing every 2nd saturday of the month thing-ing.

there are some people i would really want to see them here, the old smashers, listed at BC canada thread main page or in BC PR etc.. and Eric too, gotta take another crack at his samus :o

so I will go ahead and make the tournament thread but date won't be confirmed yet till I know exactly when the provincial exams period are over.

the events will most likely include from EVERYTHING (singles + doubles for ssb, ssbm and ssbb) to singles for 64, melee and brawl + brawl doubles. maybe another cf brawl only...

Evan, better take this day off and make it..

ps. can anyone tell me when the provincial exam period will be done?

Trozz

Smash Ace
It was a shame that there were too few TVs; the Brawl events took so long to progress. I'd bring my TV if it wasn't so huge. I might bring it anyway if the next event is going to be as starved for TVs. I really wanted to get more 2v2 friendlies in.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
It was a shame that there were too few TVs; the Brawl events took so long to progress. I'd bring my TV if it wasn't so huge. I might bring it anyway if the next event is going to be as starved for TVs. I really wanted to get more 2v2 friendlies in.
I agree. It didn't help that we lost all organization once Brawl started - it was just people finding their partners and snagging the first available TV. I think we should have two people managing the matchups and stuff, with at least one guy on it at all times - that way, if one of them has a match, the other can take over and prevent some of the complete chaos.

Maybe next time, if someone says they can bring a TV and does not without a good reason, can we deny them from participating (or at least give them a handicap), or is there a more fair way?

If we get another tourney in May, I'd do it for sure during the Victoria Day weekend, since I'll probably be on the mainland then anyway. Otherwise, unless it's a one day Saturday thing, it depends on how classes treat me (I've got a summer semester with 6 courses - darn that engineering co-op program making me take summer courses! :p).

Top Bottom