• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

piegopher

Smash Rookie
The bad news: I have to keep playing wiimote-only for another 2 weeks
The good news: I won North Van's Saturday tournament! :D

My second round was 3 players six stock- Lucas (me) Lucas + Zelda. Apparently neither of my opponents understood what psi magnet does and tried to spam me with din's fire, PK fire and PK thunder. Long story short I finished with 5 lives. It was hilerrious. I even knocked zelda out of the game with psi magnet.

FUN FACT:
Tournaments with items on are stupid.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Those tools bring North Vancouver to shame =(. Did you catch their names, how they looked? Maybe I know 'em.

Congrats on your win =).
The Zelda I played against was an asian guy named shawn- He came with a couple of other guys... one played a yoshi... I think his name was Alex.... and another one played fox. Don't remember any other names though.

Rampage

vx
All these campers are pissing me off. srsly I just played a bunch of people from gamebattles and all they do is walk (Not run) to the other side of the stage and start using projectiles. Even though I beat them it's so annoying just to play one of them. man brawl sucks ***

F*ck this I'm going to play melee instead

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
rampage that would be gamebattles for you i stoped going there : / like seriosly you look at there rules and you expect good people(There are some but not many) dont be hating the brawl cause gamebattles is full of spammers o-0

piegopher

Smash Rookie
I think I've said this before, but in terms of competitiveness and depth, SSBM > SSB > SSBB. Sad truth right there : (
SSB > SSBB? I fully understand why people might like Melee more than Brawl, but saying SSB is deeper than Brawl is just weird... Why do you say that?

Metà

Smash Master
SSB > SSBB? I fully understand why people might like Melee more than Brawl, but saying SSB is deeper than Brawl is just weird... Why do you say that?
SSB gameplay mechanics give you a lot more options, plus the combo system is unbelievably flexible. There is practically unlimited combo potential, and there's no end to how many ways you can find to bring your opponent from 0% to death. It does make the game kind of broken, but at least it's evenly broken, since every character (except samus :() can do these combos. Also, Pikachu and Kirby are broken as f*ck, but at least there are characters that can counter them (Fox, Falcon, Puff, etc.).

Metà

Smash Master
Exactly, there are a lot more techniques at your disposal. Also, there is real edge-guarding, something Brawl is severely lacking. You can go way off the stage to edgeguard your opponent, or you can sit on your lazy *** and forward smash.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Feh! So SSB has techniques in it, of course- Are you saying Brawl doesn't? Brawl's got 35 playable characters to SSB's 12, not to mention stuff you might take for granted since melee like air dodging, up/down throws, desynched ICs, forward B moves...

After all that there's so many different ways of fighting like banana combos with diddy, mid-match metagaming with pokemon trainer, Lucas's wonky PK fire recoveries, bomb jumping with snake.... Hell, Snake in general! SSB was cool at the time, but in comparison I'd say the fighting styles are a helluva lot more limited.

So yeah, Brawl doesn't have a bunch of things that were in SSB, but they added so many more things than they took away. It's like having your legs replaced with a landmaster tank. You're not so great at dribbling a ball in soccer any more, but you can crush the other team into paste and fly away into space with their women.

Metà

Smash Master
Piegopher, I understand what you're saying, but Manuel hit the nail on the head. Brawl is a lot easier to get good at, simple as that--there just isn't as much depth. Pretty much all the playing styles you listed are almost identical, and the best strategy will pretty much always be defensive/camping/turtling. I'm not saying everyone will resort to that, but you'll sure as hell be seeing it a lot in tournaments. Even with SSB's broken-ness, it's still less limiting than Brawl, and has a more balanced offense-defense ratio (even though there are shield breakers and little shield grabbing -_-).

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Ok , so aparently depth = l cancel and z cancel , and not the other jillion things they've added like character balance and aparently 64 with its no di and 0-death combos once you get hit by people who are good is depth?, example being scott and his falcon : / , i would also like to point out that its called super smash brothers brawl, not super smash brothers melee 2, or super smash brothers meele extreme or super smash brothers meele small patch that includes a few characters, not to mention its not like melee had ken combos and other stuff all found in the first week,

space for making it not one big clump of crapy spelling and ranting.

though i do admit we know what too look for... that doenst change the fact that new stuff is found every single day and new combos, and there is still lots of undiscovered territory in this game and camping is definatly not the only stratagy : / maybe online cause lag and projectiles tend to go well with eachother but its alot different then you think, 1 its a different game 2 that means its going to have different depth like more focus on spacing and stratagy not practing how to press down b jump air dodge repeat till your fingers bleed and only being the top player if you play 1-4 characters. you all play the game as it it were meele, think of it as a new game and try it out... youd be surprised at the combos you can pull off ; / and the fun stuff you can do just dont rate this game like a match against pit on fd online.... *Puts on a fireproof suit and gets some water* i just ranted on dont care about spelling manli : D so dont bring it up ;p.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
I guess I'd get more of a feel for what you guys mean if I were to go up against one of these camper-types. As of now I don't really think I've witnessed that sort of stuff, but I remain cautiously optimistic about it. Maybe I'm naive, but for now I can't see how a camping play style can be so tough to deal with- Isn't there always a way to counter? Reflecting comes cheap in brawl... Or absorbing even. Which characters are the most problematic campers? I want to metagame :B

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Sorry to make two consecutive posts, but I wanted to get a quote....

Brawl is a lot easier to get good at
I've heard that before and I don't really understand it- If it's so easy to get good, then try harder and get better than good. It's the same with melee- I was beating all my friends before I ever heard about wavedashing or L cancelling. I think it was safe to say I was "good" at that time, or more accurately on the top of the heap I was in. But then I saw all these advanced techniques online and found out there was an extra dimension or two to the game. We just haven't created that niche in Brawl yet- I guess that's the main issue to be resolved is that y'all don't believe brawl will ever mature into a higher plane.

Well don't give up on it yet- Keep carving the niche! You must recover!

Metà

Smash Master
Sorry, I keep forgetting -_- I don't mean to be an ***, really.

About those two stages. I am definitely keeping them on neutral for this tournament. We've never had a Brawl tournament of this size before in BC, and I think we should try it out. If there are too many complaints, we'll take it off, if it works out, we'll leave them on. I know they aren't the most 'neutral' stages, but I just can't see them being counter-picks either. Just bear with me on this one event, and then after that I don't care if you guys move them to counter-pick.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
if it's so limited, there wouldnt be so many combo videos out there...
Just in comparison! I definately don't want to sound like I'm putting SSB down. I loved that game, and I never stopped playing it until I got my gamecube. Every game has limits, I'm just saying that SSB's are quicker to reach than Brawl's, if not for strategy then for the sheer amount of content... characters to learn, moves to exploit etc. It makes the potential for growth and interaction between fighting styles that much bigger.

Metà

Smash Master
Oh man, I haven't done this in a while -_- *chops up post*

Ok , so aparently depth = l cancel and z cancel , and not the other jillion things they've added like character balance and aparently 64 with its no di and 0-death combos once you get hit by people who are good is depth?, example being scott and his falcon : /
Depth is not the ability to cancel your lag, but simply the number of options you have at any given time. True, SSB has 0 to death combos, difficult DI (yes, difficult, not non-existant; DI exists and is very effective in SSB), no air-dodging, and shield-breakers, but there's simply a lot more you can do with the game, combos and edge-guarding being the two biggest points here. And I repeat, DI is effective in SSB, and I use it to escape combos/survive killing blows all the time. Also, pretty sure Scott's Falcon is nothing special after I've been playing Jack's for so long, and I can still hold my own against him any of my characters. >_>

i would also like to point out that its called super smash brothers brawl, not super smash brothers melee 2, or super smash brothers meele extreme or super smash brothers meele small patch that includes a few characters, not to mention its not like melee had ken combos and other stuff all found in the first week
We all know it isn't Melee 2.0. I'm pretty sure we all got over that the first week. My problem isn't really that it isn't like Melee (though I wouldn't mind if it was), it's simply that I just don't like the game. Melee was fun for years right out of the box, and I'm finding myself already getting bored of Brawl, though admittedly this is probably because I've been playing Smash since SSB release. -_-

No

and there is still lots of undiscovered territory in this game and camping is definatly not the only stratagy : /
Of course there is, but I'm fairly certain camping will always be one of--if not the--best strategy in competitive Brawl.

maybe online cause lag and projectiles tend to go well with eachother but its alot different then you think, 1 its a different game 2 that means its going to have different depth like more focus on spacing and stratagy not practing how to press down b jump air dodge repeat till your fingers bleed
There was plenty of focus on spacing and strategy in Melee, it's just that you had to master the tech skill first. Tech skill + mindgames = much deeper game

and only being the top player if you play 1-4 characters.
While there were distinct tiers in Melee, I'm pretty sure any of the 'top players' could destroy you with even their low tiers. Remember when $pite took 6 stock off Alberta in that crew battle, starting with 3 stock, using Game & Watch?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't camping dominant in the first phase of every competitive game? People don't know the game that well yet so they fall back on camping and let the other player approach. As time goes on, people discover ways of approaching and camping becomes less of a problem.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, I haven't done this in a while -_- *chops up post*

Depth is not the ability to cancel your lag, but simply the number of options you have at any given time. True, SSB has 0 to death combos, difficult DI (yes, difficult, not non-existant; DI exists and is very effective in SSB), no air-dodging, and shield-breakers, but there's simply a lot more you can do with the game, combos and edge-guarding being the two biggest points here. And I repeat, DI is effective in SSB, and I use it to escape combos/survive killing blows all the time. Also, pretty sure Scott's Falcon is nothing special after I've been playing Jack's for so long, and I can still hold my own against him any of my characters. >_>

We all know it isn't Melee 2.0. I'm pretty sure we all got over that the first week. My problem isn't really that it isn't like Melee (though I wouldn't mind if it was), it's simply that I just don't like the game. Melee was fun for years right out of the box, and I'm finding myself already getting bored of Brawl, though admittedly this is probably because I've been playing Smash since SSB release. -_-

No

Of course there is, but I'm fairly certain camping will always be one of--if not the--best strategy in competitive Brawl.

There was plenty of focus on spacing and strategy in Melee, it's just that you had to master the tech skill first. Tech skill + mindgames = much deeper game

While there were distinct tiers in Melee, I'm pretty sure any of the 'top players' could destroy you with even their low tiers. Remember when $pite took 6 stock off Alberta in that crew battle, starting with 3 stock, using Game & Watch?
1 : no you cant win with low tier in meele, its been out long enough for everyone to know foxs win tournies, and marth : /. ,No there isnt more you can do with the game(sbb), yes you have rediculously broken combos, but brawl has combos too Fyi. you just havent explored it enough EX: my yoshi at first may not have had alot of combos but ive pulled off quite a few now that ive found a few things in the game to abuse 1. being weakening attacks to make combos alot easier. Camping is always the start as firestorm said, ive alrdy found quite a few offensive stratagies to break campers. This game is deeper then you might think(cant find how deep it is in 1 month With any game , and the competitive gameplay will get better considering its us the players who create it. It has pulled alot more people into it and tournies are getting bigger and bigger which should be fun. And lastly if you dont enjoy it dont play it : /

And the number of options in ssb to brawl is definatly not more o_0

piegopher

Smash Rookie
It's time again for my periodic optimistic invite-

Anybody want to come over to my place (Near Broadway skytrain station) for Super Smashing? I gots Brawl and Melee available, but Melee is BYOC because my stupid roommate is a gremlin or something and killed my spare GC controllers.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't camping dominant in the first phase of every competitive game? People don't know the game that well yet so they fall back on camping and let the other player approach. As time goes on, people discover ways of approaching and camping becomes less of a problem.
Just my two cents:
I agree that camping is the dominant strategy when players are developing their game or are new to the competitive scene. From what I've experienced from the tournaments I have gone to (a few) I found that North Vancouver used a more campy strategy when compared to the advanced Marths/Shieks/Foxes because when we approached we got punished bad.

The camping strat would work against people who were not as good at approaching. This is probably because of the lack of knowledge of the opponent, so we did okay against a few people and the usual casuals. There was a lot of ICs / Peachs/ Samus in NVan lawls. Fail an approach on ICs -> You get grabbed and comboed. Fail to Peach (after dodging a **** load of turnips) -> DSmash. Got past Samus's missles -> CC'd Smashes.... :dizzy:.

Well, that camping works good against noobies, but we get destroyed by players who knew how to approach safely, eg. David's 'Bair' Puff owned my 'Fair' Puff :bee:.

Meh, up here in NVan its really tough to camp against my brother's **** Diddy. Eff Diddy :p.

~Horray for Orange text :p

Patooty

Smash Ace
Neat little observation:

When I first played Brawl about a month or so before it's North American release I posted my impressions on it. Simply put, my (too quick to judge) judgements about the game not having depth and not being ABLE to have depth was met with a bunch of replies about it being impossible for me to know that - what with only playing the game for about a week.

Now a bunch of the same people who've been telling me that have finally been able to touch the game for about a month now, and now THEY'RE at the phase where they're saying the game doesn't have depth/is not able to have depth/has little depth etc... while I'm now on to "the game has a good (fair?) amount of depth.".

Just a cool little observation I thought I'd share.

Top Bottom