• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Trozz

Smash Ace
I'm adding a couple people from this thread.
AIM is probably the best way to contact people for brawls.

unityole

Smash Lord
And now for something relevant to this thread: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=30020490060

I made an event on Facebook about my tournament, since SWF is always going down.

it would be pointless to have posters + facebook url if people dont start registering in the next few days.

usually the last couple of days, 5 to 2 days before the tournament..
spread the news guys, get more people!

John: thnx for your help at the last tourney, was really busy and had no time to make posts.
really appreciate that you brough your laptop along, was great help.

also thanks to the victorian cool dudes for their appearance and TV + wii + games + etc..
and Gamepro + Camerican for showing up WITH a TV :)

Rampage

vx
Despite the fact that he looks like an emo/punk kid, I agree.

Sucks to be me and not having a facebook account. Is there any way to make it visible to people that don't have facebook accounts?
How about instead of asking evan to do more than he should have to, why not just make a facebook account? >_>

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
are you serios about those levels meta? o_0 hanenbow castle siege and cornerai should be nonos o_0

Trozz

Smash Ace
gl to everyone going. I might be going if I figure out where I can stay overnight (although I don't play melee or the n64 version anymore).

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
are you serios about those levels meta? o_0 hanenbow castle siege and cornerai should be nonos o_0
Um... why are they nonos? o.o; Especially Castle Siege which people are debating between neutral and counter-pick? I see no stages there that should be banned. I don't see stages that should be counter-pick, but I think I already said my feelings on those earlier.

Metà

Smash Master
I might actually care about what you say if you provide some reasons. Keep in mind, even if I care or pay attention to what you say, I probably won't make any changes because of it. Still though, if there are some rules that many people disagree on, I might make some compromises.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Lololol low tier tournament :) Sounds cool to me- I'll probably show up for that

I've had a few ideas for some melee tournaments that reward dipping lower in the tierlist- One way is to give a certain number of points for a victory based on your character's tierlist category- Top tiers get 1 point, bottoms get.... a million? I dunno, I'm not too interested in doing actual math here.

Another way is to limit each competitor to one character selection from each tierlist slot per tournament. I think it would be interesting trying to decide whether to blow your high tier picks right away or risk early elimination.

Anyone else like the sound of these ideas? I could go about organizing something like this at my place if I get some interest.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
well one, castle seige has walk off parts, and well, walk off should just plain out be banned : / except delfino , cause i like deflino : D lol , 2 its gottt horid ledges when its not walk off (talking about the acculy castle top its got that anoying *** lip that always catched my up b and says "Screw you ike" and many other characters, hanenbow messes up quite a few peoples recoverys cause off all the ledgeds and how some people, like wolf will just not grab most of them and get destroyed or fall to his death, cornera has a wall ; / and that wing is sooo anoying if people abuse it but i dont care toooo much about that, but it is true , but castle seige should definatly be a no.. imo

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Um, Castle Siege has a walk-off one 1 of its 3 parts and during transitions. The only issue with walk-offs are:

A) chaingrabbers can chain you off the edge
B) one character can camp the edge making it hard to approach them as they will KO you at 0% with a throw

A can be easily avoided on the transitions but not getting grabbed in the very little time it takes between levels. A is easily avoided in the second stage area by staying on the platforms. No character has a projectile that can reach you there considering statues are in the way and you're on higher ground.

B is easily avoided on the transitions as you merely have to NOT APPROACH. They are on the sides which means once you hit the next part of the stage, 2/3 times, they'll be off the stage. They'll need to recover giving you the advantage. B is easily avoided on the 2nd part of the stage by, again, staying on the platforms.

Hanenbow screws up some people's recoveries in that it makes it harder, not impossible. Seems to fit the definition of "counter-pick" to me.

Corneria is doubles only if I read it right.

Patooty

Smash Ace
castle siege IMO is easily a counterpick.

Hanenbow I don't have the energy to argue against right now, but if you leave it on, expect me and anyone else who wants to win the tournament to be EXTREMELY GAY on that stage. srsly it's not even fun winning on that stage.

Patooty

Smash Ace
castle siege IMO is easily a counterpick.

Hanenbow I don't have the energy to argue against right now, but if you leave it on, expect me and anyone else who wants to win the tournament to be EXTREMELY GAY on that stage. srsly it's not even fun winning on that stage.
Also, I don't think Lylat and PS1 are good neutral stages.

Lylat - you may say "Well the stage tilts for everyone so it ends up being neutral".

But here's the deal with that stage. Choose metaknight and try to walk off the edge for an edgehog. Eazy peezy lemon squeezy right? Now try it with Marth... No? Diddy? No? There are a bunch of characters who have trouble grabbing the edge on this stage. It's clearly a good counterpick against those characters showing good knowledge of character-stage weaknesses.

PS1 - You may say "Well, the lip affects everybody's recovery and the Windmill is gay to everyone".

So here's whats up with that stage. The lip way more greatly hinders people with certain recoveries. I'm not going to do all the research here but I'll give some examples:

Wolf's side + b becomes way harder to do.
Wolf/Fox/Falco will have a harder time up+b'ing straight up to the ledge.
Sheik/Zelda have a harder time up+b'ing diagonally to sweetspot.

Not only that, but the lip favours other characters as well as hurting the previously mentioned characters. Examples:

Kirby: Get stuck at the lip on your up+b? No worries, just DI towards it.
Bowser: Same
DK: Same

Also, the windmill is a bit more minor but it favours smaller characters who can more easily pass through it. It also gives good opportunities for characters like P.Trainer and Zelda to safely transform.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Hannenbow should be for friendly/casual games only (unless the tournament is bizarre).

Castle Siege is counterpick imo, but that's up to the house rules.

unityole

Smash Lord
get as people as you can for April 19th's trismash tournament..

need around 50 each day, saturday and sunday..

Patooty

Smash Ace
Any thoughts on striking those 2 stages from the neutral list? Or shall we just sit silently until the tournament happens...

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
pokemon 1 and lylat probably should be removed, but i also think castle seige should be removed ; /

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is a counter-pick. I've countered your points about it already. Honestly, Castle Siege is DEFINITELY not going to be banned in the SBR list and will likely be in the neutral list. Banning it now for this tournament at a whim makes no sense. I assume we'll eventually switch to the standard so we can play the way the rest of the continent does (unless BC has no desire to play/host national and continental tournaments).

unityole

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is a counter-pick. I've countered your points about it already. Honestly, Castle Siege is DEFINITELY not going to be banned in the SBR list and will likely be in the neutral list. Banning it now for this tournament at a whim makes no sense. I assume we'll eventually switch to the standard so we can play the way the rest of the continent does (unless BC has no desire to play/host national and continental tournaments).
lol, having tournament on the 19th and still couldnt settle the stages that are banned/ not banned...

if its at a tournament which I'M hosting, i'll bann all of them except for medium to small/ plain stages.

all those big looking ugly ones can be banned xD

Rampage

vx
lol, having tournament on the 19th and still couldnt settle the stages that are banned/ not banned...

if its at a tournament which I'M hosting, i'll bann all of them except for medium to small/ plain stages.

all those big looking ugly ones can be banned xD
brawl hater lol

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I'm going to make a B.C Canada meele thread where if you mention brawl your post count goes -1 instead. :-]

Lol, anyway Manuel call me if you want your ram I have it now. I also have another 512 I can sell you for $20 which gives your computer a power level of over 1024. This one works for sure the one I gave you was super saiyan 2 RAM (aka DDR2 type)

If anyone wants to play meele today 778-329-5810 I'm feening.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Awww come on Roby, play Brawl and get good so you can go to 0C4 or FCxzy and ****!

And Jack, I understand that we can't settle banned stages by then. I think it's weird to ban completely no-brainers though.

Anyway, anyone going to the EB tournaments? This weekend is North Van. Last weekend was Richmond. Next weekend is Metrotown.

Top Bottom