• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Rampage

vx
Well I think we should cut it with 3 smash games in a one day tournament...Things just get too hectic with 64, melee, and brawl going on at the same time. imo melee and brawl take priority but I'm sure a lot of you would argue against it since 64 is a really good game
64 is fun and all but idunno one of the 64 events always seems to get cut. Since everybody is kissing brawls A$$ at the moment most would object to not having brawl singles/doubles so I think tournaments should just be limited to Melee and brawl so that things might run a little smoother and quicker but whatever that's just my 2 cents

Metà

Smash Master
What's all this b*tching about not getting to Brawl quick enough? Is it my fault I didn't have an army of TV's at my disposal, or that those who said they would bring them didn't hold true to their word? I did my best to complete every event in a timely matter, but there's no way in hell I'm tossing aside Melee or SSB just to get the Brawl event done before a few people have to leave. I didn't give those games priority by any means, but I wanted to at least make sure we got through the main Melee/Brawl events. I even had to cancel Ike-only : (

Also, I will be holding another 2-day tournament, but the first day will be very short. Here's how it'll go down:

Day 1:
Brawl 1v1 pools
Melee crew battles
SSB Singles

Day 2:
Melee singles/doubles
Brawl singles/doubles

Unfortunately, if there are not enough TV's, I will cancel some events. I'm serious about this, people, WE NEED MORE F*CKING SET-UPS. I'll try to rent TV's from the AV dept, but I'm not sure how many I can get. Also, I'm thinking about giving people a small discount on entrance fees for each TV they provide. Seriously, we had 6 TV's (one of which couldn't be used for tourney matches due to input delay) at most on day 2, which is when we most needed it.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
I think it had something to do with not collecting enough money for food or something like that, among other things, like the hastle of it all.
I thought it was because he could only do it between semesters due to courses and stuff. But that's just a guess.

And, just because there's that whole argument thing going since well before the game came out, I'll toss in my opinion: I like Melee more than Brawl. But I'm better at Brawl, so I don't know what I want to think about it. It kinda bugs me that I beat Shermanator at SFU6, who's been playing D3 since its release, and I picked up Diddy not long ago (a few weeks ago at most, and I don't play the game too much), tossed bananas all day and won. Screw hard work, all you need is a cheap character.

Gamepro said:
Yes please. I probably won't attend another tournament where I think that is going to happen yet again.
As far as I can tell, Day 2 of SFU 6 was mostly Brawl, save for Melee low tier and crews, the former of which was well underway before a bunch of the Brawlers showed up. No one made you attend Day 1 (if you did), or come early to play Melee. It just so happens that the person organizing the tournament happens to like Melee more than Brawl. His opinion, sure, but he's the one in charge, so it doesn't matter. If you want an all-Brawl tournament start one yourself, or find someone that will.

Sorry if some of this got repeated, I left this window open for a while and didn't post it right away.

Metà said:
Day 1:
Brawl 1v1 pools
Melee crew battles
SSB Singles

Day 2:
Melee singles/doubles
Brawl singles/doubles
Could the days possibly be switched? The chances of me being there all day on a Saturday are much larger than me being there all day on a Sunday, and the Melee and Brawl stuff seems like a bigger event.

Patooty

Smash Ace
I agree, talking_chicken. Far less characters are "usable" in Brawl than people are making it out to be.

Also no johns about "we should have an all brawl tournament, or at least a brawlfest". If you wanted to get stuff going you wouldn't just wait around for it to happen.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
I think it had something to do with not collecting enough money for food or something like that, among other things, like the hastle of it all.
Ignore that, I confused myself:psycho:. The pizza thing has to do with people supplying their own food at tournies. So unless Meta says otherwise, I believe his next tournament will be free of pizza/pop.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Evan, having Melee Singles, Melee Doubles, Brawl Singles, and Brawl Doubles all on the same day seems a little crazy to me.

TVs were an issue, but you being involved in EVERY EVENT was also an issue! You should limit yourself a bit if you're organizing >__> You are the most important person at the tournament!

About thoughts of no Brawl, honestly, unless BC wants to drop off the face of the competitive smash map, we're gonna have to keep having Brawl events so we can improve. The main events with the most money at the large tournaments is going to be Brawl, not Melee.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
About thoughts of no Brawl, honestly, unless BC wants to drop off the face of the competitive smash map, we're gonna have to keep having Brawl events so we can improve. The main events with the most money at the large tournaments is going to be Brawl, not Melee.
For now, at least. How many of those people will still be playing in say, a year's time? Besides, there are still a ton of people playing Melee, but are just playing Brawl because everyone else plays Brawl.

As long as there are people that like Melee, there will still be Melee tournaments. They may not be on as large a scale, but they'll still be there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brawl, and I'll keep playing it. I just like Melee more. It's like on one hand, you have cheap Easter chocolate, but on the other hand, you have the fancy Swiss stuff. They both taste good, but one is so much better.

Rampage

vx
Oh evan sorry about not picking up the TV all week. lol I'll be taking it home some time next week. I promise :p

and how about doubles on day 1 and singles on day 2? The amount of entrants for doubles isn't as big compared to singles and takes like have the time to complete

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
It just so happens that the person organizing the tournament happens to like Melee more than Brawl. His opinion, sure, but he's the one in charge, so it doesn't matter.
Yup. So like I said, I probably just won't attend those tournaments.

Also no johns about "we should have an all brawl tournament, or at least a brawlfest". If you wanted to get stuff going you wouldn't just wait around for it to happen.
Actually that's exactly what I'm going to do. I would consider having a small Brawlfest or something, but I don't think people are going to want to come all the way out here for a fest. So I'll wait.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Actually that's exactly what I'm going to do. I would consider having a small Brawlfest or something said:
I would come all the way out to White Rock....

Remember the time you hosted a tournament for ssbm last year in June and like 20-30 people came?

so people are willing to go to White Rock for that!

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
[
Actually that's exactly what I'm going to do. I would consider having a small Brawlfest or something, but I don't think people are going to want to come all the way out here for a fest. So I'll wait.
I would come all the way out to White Rock....

Remember the time you hosted a tournament for ssbm last year in June and like 20-30 people came?

so people are willing to go to White Rock for that!

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
IL go all the way there too ugggh : / maybe iono its kinda far for me XD and my house doesnt really have the right lay out for a brawlfest or tourny or i definatly would have done it by now.

Also, Tons of characters are Very playable in brawl XD thought some are definatly sticking out right now.

Choronis

Smash Lord
I'm down for a tournament if there's one happening. :) I got a 27" TV at my disposal if we need more of them, like what Meta said earlier :p

When's the next one happening? All I saw was the SFU 6 that happened last weekend. :(

unityole

Smash Lord
NO ONE CARESs

Yup. So like I said, I probably just won't attend those tournaments.

YOU CANT DO THAT, THATS CHEATING.

uhg, anyone up for a match or two with me in starcraft or broodwar on battlenet? lol..

unityole

Smash Lord
When's the next one happening? All I saw was the SFU 6 that happened last weekend. :(
I will probably host tournies in the coming month or two. May 31st and June 7th.

And because gamepro + camerican insisted a tourney only consist of the games they love, i will host a tourney just for them, and for brawl lovers.

May 31st:
SSB + SSBB, there will be no melee for the first time, but there will still be a lot of brawler showing up. **hint to dieslow = $$$
- SSB64 singles = free pizza
- SSBB singles, doubles

June 7th:
There will be another tournament dedicate to only to SSBM, or maybe SSBM + SSBB.
- SSBM = charge half on the pizza
I encourage the people showing up for it, im willing to take the loss. Melee was such a fun game, even though i sucked at it very much. It will live.
- MAYBE SSBB..

like it or not, this is how its going to go. I can't make a 2 day event like Meta since I would have to rent rooms which will cost me over couple hundred dollars a day, so this is prob the best solution i came up with. AND I"LL STICK WITH IT

I will start making thread about these 2 tournaments soon, maybe within the next few days. actually, i'll start as soon as SWF stop lagging.

ps. ppl that loves Melee, plz do try your best to show up on the 7th. A game would only make sense and alive only if players exist.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Ugh =_= I was prepping myself while going into the dumb EB tournament, preparing myself that the outcome of the matches I was about to play would be messed up and random whatever happens, and that I should take it lightly even if I get totally gimped by final smashes and teamups right off the bat.... but nothing could have prepared me for exactly how stupid that match was. Ugh.... just ugh....

Items on normal, wiimote only., 3 players (me-Lucas, Zelda, Pit).... okay, I trained for this...
10 lives... Hmm, that's kind of extreme, but I've played long games before....
New Pork City. AUGH! There is a god and he HATES US! Aaarrrghhhh....

Seriously.... 3 projectile spammers with reflecters/absorbs on New Pork City for 10 lives each with items. It lasted more than an hour. MORE THAN AN HOUR. ONE GAME OF BRAWL THAT LASTED MORE THAN AN HOUR. *bleeds from eyes*

Basically we all camped out in a triangle pattern sometimes hucking projectiles- and whenever one person got close to another the triangle kind of rotated to compensate (I tried! I really tried to go hand to hand!). Then we just waited for the smash balls, pokeballs, or assist trophies to randomly deal out KOs. Seriously, we just sat there and talked with eachother until those things showed up.

Oh, by the way, If you haven't figured it out by my tone, I lost. I was eliminated at 0% as one of Pit's final smash goons bumped me into the pink bitey thing that walks around new pork city .... ugh. I wish I didn't even qualify for this round... I would've had about 4 extra hours of life to enjoy.

On the bright side, GC controller here I come! I'm gonna learn to Zap Jump! :3

Choronis

Smash Lord
Ugh =_= I was prepping myself while going into the dumb EB tournament, preparing myself that the outcome of the matches I was about to play would be messed up and random whatever happens, and that I should take it lightly even if I get totally gimped by final smashes and teamups right off the bat.... but nothing could have prepared me for exactly how stupid that match was. Ugh.... just ugh....

Items on normal, wiimote only., 3 players (me-Lucas, Zelda, Pit).... okay, I trained for this...
10 lives... Hmm, that's kind of extreme, but I've played long games before....
New Pork City. AUGH! There is a god and he HATES US! Aaarrrghhhh....

Seriously.... 3 projectile spammers with reflecters/absorbs on New Pork City for 10 lives each with items. It lasted more than an hour. MORE THAN AN HOUR. ONE GAME OF BRAWL THAT LASTED MORE THAN AN HOUR. *bleeds from eyes*

Basically we all camped out in a triangle pattern sometimes hucking projectiles- and whenever one person got close to another the triangle kind of rotated to compensate (I tried! I really tried to go hand to hand!). Then we just waited for the smash balls, pokeballs, or assist trophies to randomly deal out KOs. Seriously, we just sat there and talked with eachother until those things showed up.

Oh, by the way, If you haven't figured it out by my tone, I lost. I was eliminated at 0% as one of Pit's final smash goons bumped me into the pink bitey thing that walks around new pork city .... ugh. I wish I didn't even qualify for this round... I would've had about 4 extra hours of life to enjoy.

On the bright side, GC controller here I come! I'm gonna learn to Zap Jump! :3

Dude, I was there! I so know how you felt man. That was brutal and I totally sympathize with you. :( I was the Red haired guy with the Smash T-shirt on that kept rooting for the pink guy. :p

But yeah, if you thought that was digusting, you should have seen the final round of that crap. I got to the final with that Zelda and the Ike from the first round and they both teamed up on me. The Nintendo rep's said that I should have won it had it of been 1v1. >.<

But yeah, I made a post on the tournament discussion forum if you want all the nitty-gritty details of the crap that I went through. :(

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Dude, I was there! I so know how you felt man. That was brutal and I totally sympathize with you. :( I was the Red haired guy with the Smash T-shirt on that kept rooting for the pink guy. :p

But yeah, if you thought that was digusting, you should have seen the final round of that crap. I got to the final with that Zelda and the Ike from the first round and they both teamed up on me. The Nintendo rep's said that I should have won it had it of been 1v1. >.<

But yeah, I made a post on the tournament discussion forum if you want all the nitty-gritty details of the crap that I went through. :(
Oh yeah, I remember you- Yo :) I thought I was the only smashboarder who qualified-

Who did you play as? I guess Zelda won, finally, because that Ike was losing his first round then won on a fluke and the Zelda was pretty decent when he actually started to fight. He knew how to manipulate the game in ways that sensible tournaments ban, so I guess he deserved to win at this sort of thing. (i.e. tournaments where the rules are composed by people who apparently haven't played the game)

Choronis

Smash Lord
I played Ike and I was against that Pikachu and the Olimar in Warioware >.<

I was getting my butt handed to me at first and Olimar was 2 lives up on me, but in the end I caught back up with a lucky forward smash that took out the Olimar. Pikachu died with me at 1 life remaining and Olimar at 2. The second half of my first round I dominated :)

As for the final round, it was me (Ike), the other Ike and the Zelda in the Distant Plant level. Right when the round started, the Zelda was like "Oh man, there's two Ike's, which one are you?" and the other guys like "I'm second player" "Oh okay, good" and they proceeded to double team me from there. Considering the circumstances, I was owning their faces pretty hard, and was knocked out when Zelda had 4 lives left and the other Ike with two.

I kept calling them out on teaming up, since they wouldn't attack each other when I was recovering onto the ledge or when I was flying out of the screen. I sat on the invincibility platform with both of them hovering below me and I'm like "go on, attack each other, why are you waiting for me?" And of course, they didn't :(

I was so pissed off at the end, and I told the Nintendo reps my thoughts on how the system is so suspected for cheating and whatnot, and they both thought that I should have won, but they said there was nothing they could have done. I was soooo livid, since they both sucked balls and didn't deserve to be where they were, especially with one of them moving onto the finals and only got there because he cheated.

unityole

Smash Lord
lol before u complain, we all already talked about how EB tournament thing would end up.

people teaming in these sorts of thing is very common, despite if its against or not against the rules for the tournament.

I recon something been said about joining tournament and get teamed or randomed by some nooby at the tournament, should have just stayed home and play wifi o something instead of pissing urself over at a tournament with random characters/stages with items on, PLUS ffa.

no more johns plz, cause you can always snap at their faces and they'll just end up making fun of you how stupid you act, its somewhat part of life =)

get over it man, just treat it as some random stuff happend in life, stuff like you lost your wallet or something. **** happens.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I will probably host tournies in the coming month or two. May 31st and June 7th.

And because gamepro + camerican insisted a tourney only consist of the games they love, i will host a tourney just for them, and for brawl lovers.

May 31st:
SSB + SSBB, there will be no melee for the first time, but there will still be a lot of brawler showing up. **hint to dieslow = $$$
- SSB64 singles = free pizza
- SSBB singles, doubles

June 7th:
There will be another tournament dedicate to only to SSBM, or maybe SSBM + SSBB.
- SSBM = charge half on the pizza
I encourage the people showing up for it, im willing to take the loss. Melee was such a fun game, even though i sucked at it very much. It will live.
- MAYBE SSBB..

like it or not, this is how its going to go. I can't make a 2 day event like Meta since I would have to rent rooms which will cost me over couple hundred dollars a day, so this is prob the best solution i came up with. AND I"LL STICK WITH IT

I will start making thread about these 2 tournaments soon, maybe within the next few days. actually, i'll start as soon as SWF stop lagging.

ps. ppl that loves Melee, plz do try your best to show up on the 7th. A game would only make sense and alive only if players exist.

May 31st is Saturday or Sunday?

I'll know what time I can make it soon. I'll at least show up late for friendlies if anything. Hopefully more than that though. I'd like to play for $ too.

And I have a place to stay there so if it's a 2 day event I'll show up for which ever day I can. That might up the chances of me showing up because I'd have more than one day to get there. But if it was 1 day I'll force myself to make time.

And I've heard dieslow=$
Dieslow, I really want to Brawl you. Do you play online at all? I'd like to get a good beat down for at least bit.

And an hour long match...omg...

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
lol before u complain, we all already talked about how EB tournament thing would end up.

people teaming in these sorts of thing is very common, despite if its against or not against the rules for the tournament.

I recon something been said about joining tournament and get teamed or randomed by some nooby at the tournament, should have just stayed home and play wifi o something instead of pissing urself over at a tournament with random characters/stages with items on, PLUS ffa.

no more johns plz, cause you can always snap at their faces and they'll just end up making fun of you how stupid you act, its somewhat part of life =)

get over it man, just treat it as some random stuff happend in life, stuff like you lost your wallet or something. **** happens.
The reason people bothered at all was because a free trip to Toronto and maybe New York is pretty awesome. Also, it wasn't random characters.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
The reason people bothered at all was because a free trip to Toronto and maybe New York is pretty awesome. Also, it wasn't random characters.
Screw the East! I was in it for a T Shirt :D And I DID win that. Therefore I have been 100% successful in my endeavors. Q.E.D.

Remember kids, ambition is the first step to disappointment.
This message brought to you by McDonalds. Apply now! Obey

Now I can strut around flashin my pimpin SSBB cred, and being like "Ahhh yeeeeuhhh" and then my mom'll be all like "What the heck is a Smash Brother Bowl? Is that drugs?"

unityole

Smash Lord
May 31st is Saturday or Sunday?

And I've heard dieslow=$
Dieslow, I really want to Brawl you. Do you play online at all? I'd like to get a good beat down for at least bit.

And an hour long match...omg...
May31st and June 7th, both on saturday. I still refuse to make tournies on sunday cause I attend to church on all sundays.

good beat down, do u mean ****?

n dieslow confirmed for May31st at least.

Zm4rf

Smash Cadet
Screw the East! I was in it for a T Shirt :D And I DID win that. Therefore I have been 100% successful in my endeavors. Q.E.D.

Remember kids, ambition is the first step to disappointment.
This message brought to you by McDonalds. Apply now! Obey

Now I can strut around flashin my pimpin SSBB cred, and being like "Ahhh yeeeeuhhh" and then my mom'll be all like "What the heck is a Smash Brother Bowl? Is that drugs?"
Moms are great like that.

I remember coming home with a "-i pwn n00bs-" shirt and my mother thought the pwn stood for porn.

xD.

Metà

Smash Master
@ Gamepro and any others considering opting out of my tournament because of Melee:

You don't have to enter the Melee events, and I will be making Brawl and Melee happen at different times, so NO JOHNSSS

Choronis

Smash Lord

Sorry, just started coming to these boards again after about 4 years of being inactive, so I apologize if I missed out on the previous discussions about the EB tourny :p

I'm fine about it now, I'll just move on and go to other tourny's that are set up better. But one thing I gotta ask about that I've been seeing a lot of lately: what's this "no more johns" thing? Did someone named John spaz out or something at a tourny before?

Metà

Smash Master
Sorry, just started coming to these boards again after about 4 years of being inactive, so I apologize if I missed out on the previous discussions about the EB tourny :p

I'm fine about it now, I'll just move on and go to other tourny's that are set up better. But one thing I gotta ask about that I've been seeing a lot of lately: what's this "no more johns" thing? Did someone named John spaz out or something at a tourny before?
'No johns' is standard Smash Bros jargon for 'no excuses'. Examples:

P1: That was a gay counter-pick stage
P2: NO JOHNS

or

P1: You only beat me because I wasn't try my hardest
P2: NO JOHNS

Top Bottom