• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
A human?

Edit: I don't really know why a human would suck on wood/paper so I'm going to change my answer to child/toddler/baby. Sounds better.
Correct! A baby is the only answer to the description I gave.

Anyways, I just finished the game.

It. Is. So. Good. I mean, wow. I almost cried at the end. It's story, unlike the other games, is on par with that of Ace Attorney, if not better. Of course, I loved the big reveal at the end, as with the other two games (if you played the other two games, you should know what I'm talking about).

But what's best about this game is that it actually went into Professor Layton's character. You learn about his past and how it connects to the present story. It made me well up, really.

To say I liked this game would be an understatement. This game alone made the series as part of my top 3 games. Yes, it replaced Luigi's Mansion and even went above the Ace Attorney series. If you guys don't have this game, you absolutely must buy it (well, first play the previous two games). It's most certainly the best DS game this year.

As I said, though, the good Professor will now depart... after one more puzzle. ;)

...And that would be my cue. OK, one last puzzle before I board my ship to London.

Puzzle #2

4000 Picarats

You've asked a young woman about her birthday, and she answers like this: "The day after tomorrow I will turn 22. But, last year on New Year's Day I was still a teenager." With just this information you can determine what day her birthday falls on. When
is it?

Mike2

Smash Ace
K I'll pick you guys up at the burger king at 11:30.

Bring whatever music you want to listen to and if you want to listen to your ipod/iphone on the car speakers bring the connection(I only have a cd player). Also if you can pitch in for gas it would be much appreciated.

See you then. :)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'll be bringing my 3 Detective Conan CDs, my controller, and Professor Layton (the game lol). ^_^

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That wasn't even released this year. >_>

I'm being completely serious, though. This is definitely a contender for best game of the year. There is not a single bad thing about the game. The gameplay, music, voices, story (ESPECIALLY the story), and overall presentation are just superb.

:069:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll be sure to check out all of the Professor Layton games. I watched the gameplay and trailer on IGN and was very intrigued. I'm actually wondering why I never caught wind of it initially.

Considering how you said the story rivals Ace Attorney, I'll have to pay close attention to it then.

Only game to make me cry was FFX, but those were only a few tears. MGS4 was just...exhaustion and respect more than tears.

And alright Mike2, see you then.

Oh and you had Mansion in your top 3 games? What is this, I don't even...

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Puzzle #2

4000 Picarats

You've asked a young woman about her birthday, and she answers like this: "The day after tomorrow I will turn 22. But, last year on New Year's Day I was still a teenager." With just this information you can determine what day her birthday falls on. When
is it?
December 31st. fo sho.

EDIT: I mean January 2nd, i was thinking of the day you are talking to her XD.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Day after New Years Day

EDIT: ****, hold on and let me redo the calendar

EDIT 2: Okay
|J1(19)|20|31 <-Last year
|J1|21|31T <-This Year
|J1|22|
Standing by it.

EDIT 3: What Mustafa said about Luigi's Mansion

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You guys do know where my username comes from... right?

December 31st. fo sho.

EDIT: I mean January 2nd, i was thinking of the day you are talking to her XD.
Correct! As a reward, here are some rather humorous lines from failing the tea-making mini-game of my second game:

Luke: Professor, this tea is... foaming!
Layton: Oh dear. I suppose that's a clear sign that this tea isn't fit for human consumption then.
Luke: I don't understand. We checked all the ingredients. Why all this foam?
Layton: I'm afraid I have no answer there, Luke, but perhaps we can use it to clean the floor.

Luke: Professor... this tea is... peculiar.
Layton: I admit, I cannot find a more appropriate word for this blend than peculiar.
Luke: What is that taste anyway? Old shoe?
Layton: Alright, Luke, I get the picture. Let's rip this recipe and never make it again.

Layton: Interesting, I've never seen tea congeal before.
Luke: It looks more like pudding than tea, Professor. We might need a spoon to drink it.
Layton: The individual ingredients we used seem fine. Technically speaking, it should be fine.
Luke: Er... none for me, thanks.

Luke: Well...
Layton: Well...
Luke: Um, Professor? I think I'm going to throw up.
Layton: Perhaps I need to practice a bit more on my own before I start calling myself a tea master.

Luke: P-Professor! There is smoke coming off this tea!
Layton: We may have unwittingly invented a drink that should have never been.
Luke: I'm no coward, but I'm not brave enough to drink any of that stuff.
Layton: Well then, our course of action is clear. Let's seal away this recipe and never make it again.

Layton: Oh, this won't do at all.
Luke: Ugh, this tea is making me sad. One sip was enough to make me want to cry.
Layton: I don't think I've ever come out of teatime wearing anything but a smile... until now.
Luke: Believe me, Professor, you're not the only one frowning.

I hope you all have enjoyed my company. However, I must be off; my ship leaves in an hour. I shall return when my next game, Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute, gets released. Farewell!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yes, but the point is that you didn't have the correct answer typed out before I did.

Now see, this is why the internet needs laws.
The penalty for such falsehoods as this one should be Bobbit and he should have the right to a fair trial after the initial penalty game has been played.
SUCH IS THE LAW OF THE PETTY E-DOUCHE.

Okay, finished with being a troll for now. :p

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Guys, I just found out something amazing.

Professor Layton is actually a bigger series than I thought. In addition to the game I mentioned, there is a 5th game coming out for the 3DS called Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle.

But wait, there's more! The series also has 2 novels and a feature-length movie. O_O

Seriously, this basically means that Professor Layton is awesome. =)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, I'm heading down to JCL in a few minutes then heading over to the Burger King.

EDIT: Hey, I just realized that my first name in the front page isn't green. :<

EDIT2: LOL I just realized that all of the "gone but not forgotten" people have their first names start with a "J." XD

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
But wait, there's more! The series also has 2 novels and a feature-length movie. O_O

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that movie.
I don't know these movies need mentioning, but

Mario Bros.
Street Fighter (actually quite funny, though)
Resident Evil (any of them, they're all terrible)
Tomb Raider (games were mediocre anyway)
Silent Hill (Just... no.)
Either of the Final Fantasy movies
Pokemon
Did you know that there's an Animal Crossing movie?

Waiting on Chris to tell me why I'm wrong about everything from a professional viewpoint.

So glad I decided to go to HOBO 28 instead of SCQ. Such nice weather today. ^_^

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I wouldn't get your hopes up about that movie.
I don't know these movies need mentioning, but

Mario Bros.
Street Fighter (actually quite funny, though)
Resident Evil (any of them, they're all terrible)
Tomb Raider (games were mediocre anyway)
Silent Hill (Just... no.)
Either of the Final Fantasy movies
Pokemon
Did you know that there's an Animal Crossing movie?

Waiting on Chris to tell me why I'm wrong about everything from a professional viewpoint.

So glad I decided to go to HOBO 28 instead of SCQ. Such nice weather today. ^_^
Actually, the movie is already released. It was critically acclaimed back in Japan, and they are localizing it to the UK next month.

Actually, if I get the DVD, would I be able to play it on my computer?

Also, there is another movie coming out this winter, and they are even planning a live-action movie.

Well, I did better than I did at HOBO, but I lost once again to two unknown match-ups. Curse you, Mr. Game & Watch and Lucario! >_<

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well, I did better than I did at HOBO, but I lost once again to two unknown match-ups. Curse you, Mr. Game & Watch and Lucario! >_<
Texas is hard.

Dang, Joel, I failed you. We need to have some serious matches for you to practice the match-up. :<
Where did he bring you?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't know. It could be Phase or that Kingsville tournament. Whichever one the person driving me wants to go to. XP

Anyways, with the good Professor gone, I feel that the puzzles have stopped prematurely. So, I shall carry on his legacy and come up with some more puzzles for you guys. This time, they will be (at least semi-) original. You all can call me...

Professor Polt.

Anyways, onto the first puzzle. ^_^

Puzzle #1

30 Picarats

You are given a standard deck of 52 playing cards (except for the joker). You shuffle the cards, then you pick up the first 20 cards from the deck. Let's refer to the 20 cards you just picked up as Deck A and the remaining cards as Deck B.

What is the difference between the number of red suits in Deck A and the number of black suits in Deck B?

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I came really close when I played safe. Then I got destroyed on RC. Found out he really likes that stage. He CPs there as Olimar. o.o

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nah, as an Oli main, you gotta get used to playing on a stage like that. I've always suspected he had mastered that stage to an extent anyways. Personally, I don't mind playing on RC as long as it's not against MK. Same goes with Falco on Japes.

Top Bottom