• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think I did like 10 for 1 question....

Another batch of last minute questions came in, so I answered those for another 20 minutes.

Crud, now I better go to bed because I rescheduled my lab this week for 8 AM tomorrow so I can make this DWA meeting. XD
No one has interviewed me yet... but I guess that was mostly due to my inactivity during the summer.

I don't really care about Halo: Reach (considering my 360 is back at home in Florida), but how about that new Professor Layton game? I'm picking it up later today. :bee:

I would have gotten it yesterday, but it was sold out. I was... shocked. o_O

:069:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
And Shaun, I just meant helping out in general with other tournies.
Thought soooo. Oh wellllllll, good luck with that.

I've never really understood why Austin doesn't have tournaments.
We're right in the middle of everything. Wouldn't that draw more people than tournaments in one of the corner cities?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a weird thing. If I had to give one theory, it would be we don't have as many players to begin with in comparison to Dallas or Houston.

I lost my apartment key. It fell out of my pocket while I got out of the West Campus bus .-. Already went ahead and filed a lost and found report with the UTPD, and I'm gonna go sometime tomorrow to the UT Shuttle Lost and Found. Anyone know if apartment keys can be copied?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Of course they can. Why wouldn't they be able to do that?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
For starters, some keys have a no copy sign, so big key makers (Home Depot, Walmart) won't do them. I don't think ours have that, but what concerns me more is if the design is one of those unique ones that can't be copied. Hopefully it's nothing like that, cause I know my complex is gonna be charge me 50+ for a new copy assuming I can't find mine.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Austin could run tournaments. I mean, didn't A.L.S. get 40+? Granted, it was Hylian's going-away tournament, I still think you guys could manage a solid 20-30 people per tournament.

It'd be like San Antonio's events. Those are the numbers we usually drag in for local events.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
We can its just we have to find a venue. Also I thought Reach was gonna suck but so far I have been impressed, and I agree Halo 3 wasn't a good game. I do love the H2 remakes though. Add me Haptic ILittleMexicoI and Shaun when you get the game.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You have to find a venue?
The bar that Hylian and JoWii nabbed didn't work out too great?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Add me Haptic ILittleMexicoI and Shaun when you get the game.
Are you implying that I play a game that I would only play under EXTREME duress or is this a different Shaun? ._.

And didn't that bar force us out early?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's true.
But better than nothing, right?

Besides, the tournament for the most part was completed.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Wish I could host one at my house, but I'm way the **** out in Elgin.
Not to mention that I'm not well-known and probably wouldn't draw people well without a figurehead. D:

EDIT: I don't want guys flirting with me when I play.

EDIT 2: I could put a guy on finding a venue, but the main problem would be paying for the venue.

EDIT 3: Doesn't seem like Austin people WANT a tournament with all of these johns, TBH.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Isn't the entry fee used to pay for the venue?

Anyways, I just completed Chapter 2 in the new Professor Layton game. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Professor Layton is that DS game involving the old guy dressed up as a detective with an eye glass right? He seems pretty cool to me. And that is true about the Venue fee.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's pretty much just a matter of finding a venue in Austin. There's plenty of places--people just haven't looked hard enough.

I know there's been a fair share of people in the past who've looked around for venues and haven't found any, but I refuse to believe there's not a single place in Austin that isn't down for a Smash tournament.

One of the major reasons I came to UT is that Austin's a very film-friendly town, meaning a lot of places don't require permits to shoot film on location. You just ask the manager if you can use his place for a certain time, and BOOM, problem solved. Businesses around Austin are aware that this is a college town, and for the most part, they're cool with film shoots.

Some shoots have a bunch of people--easily equal to or even more than (for very large-scale productions) a Texas tournament. Large shoots can go for multiple days tops, but they typically go for only a day at a business/venue out of courtesy to the owner.

So tl;dr, there's a place in Austin for us. I'm 100% positive of it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never figured out if we could use one of the UT rooms for tournies? Those big halls with a bunch of seats...just get some power strips and set ups...and gg right? I know the Smash Club last year had venue fee, money prizes for those who placed...etc. Plus if we wanted to...we could hook up GF to the big screen for others to watch.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I never figured out if we could use one of the UT rooms for tournies? Those big halls with a bunch of seats...just get some power strips and set ups...and gg right? I know the Smash Club last year had venue fee, money prizes for those who placed...etc. Plus if we wanted to...we could hook up GF to the big screen for others to watch.
The only catch with that is we can't technically give the winners money there.

That said, I've been to an Alabama tournament at Alabama, and money was handed out there even though it technically wasn't supposed to.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I mean, I went to a few of the UT Smash Club tournies and we would get our money right then and there...as long as it's keep hush hush, I don't think we'll be harmed.

Plus, our venue fees could be super cheap and we could use that money to supply people with food and stuff.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Professor Layton is that DS game involving the old guy dressed up as a detective with an eye glass right? He seems pretty cool to me. And that is true about the Venue fee.

Old? I beg your pardon?

Yeah! How could you call the Professor old?

:069: Bellsprout Bellsprout!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I mean, I went to a few of the UT Smash Club tournies and we would get our money right then and there...as long as it's keep hush hush, I don't think we'll be harmed.

Plus, our venue fees could be super cheap and we could use that money to supply people with food and stuff.
We should definitely look into it, then.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922

Well, I would certainly prefer a cup of tea to begin my day.

It is such a shame, however. I currently have three games to my name yet I am still not recognized by quite a few gamers such as yourself. Did you know that I even have a Twitter page which I update quite regularly?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I hope Professor Layton is in the next Smash game so I can jab to fsmash him.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I was actually commissioned to make an appearance in a Super Smash Bros. game, but unfortunately I had to turn the offer down. Fighting is so barbaric.

Guys, he actually was. And that doesn't work anyways, Zigsta. XD

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Now I remember the game I was thinking of. Henry Hatsworth...man that guy. Too epic.

Well, I can see why you confused the two of us, although I do say that my top hat is far more memorable than his, no offense to him.

Yes, I'm going to continue impersonating Professor Layton until I beat the game (or learn how to use GIFs...). :bee:

Indubitably.

EDIT: This is fun. I'm doing this for every non-serious post I make. XD

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Shut up, Shaun. You should be calling him Ricky by now.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I do not approve of double-posting, nor do I approve of you accusing me of talking to myself.

Neither do I. Am I really so under the radar that I'm available to the naked eye?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Don't mess with me, Polt.
I'm warning you right now, I'm the most powerful wizard in all the land.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Preposterous. Magic does not exist. There is a sound and logical explanation for all of the world's anomalies. It just so happens that we have not come up with any for them.

Wow, we completely see eye-to-eye. =O

Well, at least I am being seen by someone...

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I am regretting posting late at night.
I sent Espy something I probably shouldn't have and most of my posts are spam. T_T

Luckily, it seems I'm terrible enough at explaining things that he doesn't understand what I was trying to say. :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm about to kill both of you if this split personality crap doesn't stop.

Shaun, diggin the new avatar. One of my favorite scenes from Trigun.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You would kill me for having a medical condition, Mustafa? :<

And Chris, I just finished recording the replays from the last smashfest, but I don't think I'm going to post them after that comment. :p

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, what did Shaun ever do to you?

I say, your friends can become quite hostile within a moment's notice.

Don't worry, you'll grow used to it. It's not like you're going to stay for too long anyways.

Heh, my game is that addicting, huh?

Top Bottom