• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

I got all excited when I saw that your location was "Elgin"
...but then you mentioned San Marcos.

JoWii, there's also a CloverLeaf Ln. up near Joel's apartment complex. XP

Haptic, Chris already answered that:

I'm not sure. I'm working a Q and A session for the film Stone at Fantastic Fest this Friday, and I'm not sure what time it'll be over.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ricky, how long does it take to finish a Professor Layton game? I'm gonna be balancing that series with Valkyria Chronicles this upcoming weekend. Plus, I gotta catch up on all the shows I'll be missing tonight and Thursday cause of tests.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, it depends on how much time you spend on puzzles and exploring. I think the first game is the shortest of the 3, so maybe... 6-10 hours?

Ah, all of this talk of puzzles has reminded me about a puzzle!

Puzzle #3

35 Picarats

You are on the bottom level of a triple-decker tour bus going throughout London. You ask the tour guide how many people are on the bus. He says that, including you, 25 tourists are on the bottom level, 60% of them are on the second level, and 60% of the people on the second level are on the third level.

How many people are in the bus?

:069:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The number is clearly in-between those two.
I am correct, whether you like it or not.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That phrasing is confusing, but I'll take a shot at it.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oh, **** you. XD

You can't tell how many people are on the bus.
That was poorly phrased, even for a trick question.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Of course you can. I just gave you the numbers to work with.

lol Will I actually stump people with this puzzle? You have until the end of today to figure it out. =P

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Why does it even matter how many people are on the bus when you asked about a train?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
"You are on the bottom level of a triple-decker tour bus going throughout London. You ask the tour guide how many people are on the train.

How many people are in the bus?"

???

My original line of thinking based on the wording:

You are on the bottom level of a triple-decker tour bus going throughout London. You ask the tour guide how many people are on the train. He says that, including you, 25 tourists are on the bottom level,

Good so far, 25

60% of them are on the second level,

Okay, this says that 60% of the total number of tourists are on the second level.

and 60% of the people on the second level are on the third level.

That's (.6 *.6 = .36), so .96 or 96% are on the top two levels. If 25 = 4%, then it's just (25 * 25), no?

Unless it's something stupid like "you forgot to include the driver", in which case you would have to play a penalty game for implying that the driver didn't count himself in the 25.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Sorry about that. I didn't see the train part.

Everything else is fine, though. I'll repeat it again.

You are on the bottom level of a triple-decker tour bus going throughout London. You ask the tour guide how many people are on the bus. He says that, including you, 25 tourists are on the bottom level, 60% of them* are on the second level, and 60% of the people on the second level are on the third level.

How many people are in the bus?

*By the way, when I said "them," I'm obviously referring to the people on the bottom level. Learn your semantics, guys. =P

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Then 51.
49 tourists, 1 driver, 1 tour guide
Unless there are other non-tourist on the bus (?).
OR the driver IS the tour guide (50).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Then 51.
49 tourists, 1 driver, 1 tour guide
Unless there are other non-tourist on the bus (?).
OR the driver IS the tour guide (50).
Correct! There are 25 tourists in the bottom level, 60% of them means that there are 15 in the second level, and 60% of those means that there are 9 in the top level. Add in the tour guide and bus driver, and you get a total of 51 people!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That was terrible.
I'm rage-quitting these the next time you give us one that isn't understandable. :<

EDIT: Umm... just thought of something.
Has this taken the opinions of the other users of the Austin board into consideration?
I mean, not everyone wants to do puzzles or some might find it disruptive.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
That was terrible.
I'm rage-quitting these the next time you give us one that isn't understandable. :<

EDIT: Umm... just thought of something.
Has this taken the opinions of the other users of the Austin board into consideration?
I mean, not everyone wants to do puzzles or some might find it disruptive.
I admit that it was my fault about accidentally replacing bus with train, but the rest of the puzzle was perfectly fine. You just need to pay attention to the wording (for example, I said that there were 25 tourists in the bottom level of the bus. The tour guide and bus driver are obviously not tourists, so they were not included).

I don't see how these puzzles are disruptive, though. It's not like I'm forcing you guys to answer them. It's just to add something to this topic.

I have a good one planned for tomorrow. ^_^

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
For everyone who's in on my carpool to MLG Dallas:

What time can you leave Thursday? My boy T-block is CONFIRMED to fly down to Austin and join us. He'd like to know for sure what time we'll leave so he can coordinate flights.

My last class ends around 6, but I can reschedule it if need be.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Uh... does that carpool include me? I was not aware that we even had one yet...

Actually, what's going on this weekend? Are we going to that Kingsville tourney?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
We had actually discussed carpool plans before you announced you were moving to Austin for college. If a spot opens, then you're welcome to come, of course.

I can't make any tournament this weekend. Got a football game Saturday and casting on Sunday.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Thursday? Class would end at 2, but I gotta check to make sure there are no tests or anything I might miss. I'm too lazy to go check the date right now so meh lol...

Anyways, I still need to ask my parents about housing you guys. Still gotta find out where the hell this place is gonna be hosted...still gotta do a lot of things.

Puzzles are disruptive. Mainly cause it fills up the boards with ppl guessing answers.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
We had actually discussed carpool plans before you announced you were moving to Austin for college. If a spot opens, then you're welcome to come, of course.

I can't make any tournament this weekend. Got a football game Saturday and casting on Sunday.
Oh dear... and oh dear again. D:

Maybe Mike is willing to drive me to both the Kingsville tourney and MLG...?

EDIT: Like I said, you don't have to answer them. Although, I don't see why it would be disruptive anyways (or at least more disruptive than some other posts I've seen). It's just a game. >.>

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Get on it as soon as you can, Mustafa. If your folks can't house us, we'll need to figure something else out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh dear... and oh dear again. D:

Maybe Mike is willing to drive me to both the Kingsville tourney and MLG...?

EDIT: Like I said, you don't have to answer them. Although, I don't see why it would be disruptive anyways (or at least more disruptive than some other posts I've seen). It's just a game. >.>

You're killing Mike here...and...

"I don't see why it would be disruptive..." And that's when you gotta look at it from another perspective. I'm sure no one else minds it, but I do. I don't want to come in here every day and see a bunch of posts about ppl trying to answer a puzzle. Go grab the New York Times and answer their crossword puzzle if you want a challenge

Edit: Yea Chris, I'll be sure to get it done. When is MLG Dallas?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
MLG Dallas is November 5-7.

As for the puzzles, I have no problem with them, but I won't answer them. I'm just not one for puzzles.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I might not go to MLG Dallas.
I hear they have laggy TVs and don't allow friendlies, so it's starting to seem incredibly unappealing for the price.

Also, I like the title, Zig. XD

And sorry about the puzzle stuff, bored. It took me a while to notice those other posts. :<

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I hear they have laggy TVs and don't allow friendlies, so it's starting to seem incredibly unappealing for the price.

I'm glad you like the title. :)

And I see why you're posting in red, Shaun!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
:3

EDIT: AWW, didn't work.

EDIT 2: You may see why, but I bet you don't know what my temporary sig is from. :p

EDIT 3: HOLY ****ING ******* **** CALIFORNIA ****, first day of Autumn is tomorrow!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't see why it would be disruptive..." And that's when you gotta look at it from another perspective. I'm sure no one else minds it, but I do. I don't want to come in here every day and see a bunch of posts about ppl trying to answer a puzzle. Go grab the New York Times and answer their crossword puzzle if you want a challenge
I'm not the one looking for a challenge. I'm the one issuing them. :laugh:

It's no big deal... really. It's just a game that people can participate in if they so choose. It's not like people only come here to solve the puzzles, anyways. Also, I limited them to one per day so that the thread doesn't get oversaturated with people trying to answer them.

This this this. Do it :D

Also, technically, tourists don't need a tour guide.
I mentioned that you were talking to a tour guide. Pay more attention. :lick:

And sorry about the puzzle stuff, bored. It took me a while to notice those other posts. :<

Top Bottom