• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Aura is Mine!" Lucario Social Thread! (With More Moderators!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
My point that I was going for was that anything default can do at the ledge, Snaring can do equally as well, if not better, and that charging it next to the ledge is not unique to default. Unless there's something incredibly jank that default can do that Snaring can't, I'm not really seeing the massive advantages you're so adamant about.

e: fully charged default can snipe the fingers on someone hanging from the ledge if they don't have invincibility, and Snaring can't do that, but other than that...
if someone tries to drop the ledge also and do an aerial, default as can kill the regrab
snaring wont be able to

D

Deez1

My point that I was going for was that anything default can do at the ledge, Snaring can do equally as well, if not better, and that charging it next to the ledge is not unique to default. Unless there's something incredibly jank that default can do that Snaring can't, I'm not really seeing the massive advantages you're so adamant about.

e: fully charged default can snipe the fingers on someone hanging from the ledge if they don't have invincibility, and Snaring can't do that, but other than that...
It can't actually snipe. Tried it and nope.

Croi

Smash Lord
if someone tries to drop the ledge also and do an aerial, default as can kill the regrab
snaring wont be able to
I tried looking through some of my more recent videos where my opponent did a drop-down-double-jump-aerial, but I couldn't find any. I have dozens of examples of Snaring beating get up, roll up, and jump up, but nobody I fought did a drop-down-double-jump. Which lead me to ask the question:

If I'm standing far enough away from the ledge to safely throw an AS (as I'm assuming that's what we're talking about - throwing the AS, because charging a Snaring can "kill the regrab" just as well as default can), then why would my opponent ever drop-down-double-jump-aerial? I'm not close enough to the ledge for them to even consider risking that.

So then, if I'm far enough away from the ledge to safely throw an AS, what does default cover that Snaring doesn't? Default goes faster and has a slightly larger hitbox to hit people's fingers... but if your read isn't precise, it's not going to work. Snaring, though, it lingers, so you don't have to be precise at all; even if it misses, the gravity will pull people into it or at least **** their motions up enough to throw them off; it hits more than once, so if they somehow dodge or shield the first hit, they aren't out of danger.

Default is better than Snaring at chasing and possibly for killing (Snaring hits at a much higher angle and is weaker at lower charges) but trying to say that default is better at edgeguarding is very misinformed, I think. Snaring is even stronger on Delfino and Skyloft because it can pull a guy up through the stage if they aren't pixel-perfect on their recovery.

It can't actually snipe. Tried it and nope.
If you're referring to default AS, it totes can. Not at 0, the sphere wouldn't be large enough, but starting at maybe 70 or 80 it'll absolutely ruin anyone that tries to stall on the ledge.

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
I tried looking through some of my more recent videos where my opponent did a drop-down-double-jump-aerial, but I couldn't find any. I have dozens of examples of Snaring beating get up, roll up, and jump up, but nobody I fought did a drop-down-double-jump. Which lead me to ask the question:

If I'm standing far enough away from the ledge to safely throw an AS (as I'm assuming that's what we're talking about - throwing the AS, because charging a Snaring can "kill the regrab" just as well as default can), then why would my opponent ever drop-down-double-jump-aerial? I'm not close enough to the ledge for them to even consider risking that.

So then, if I'm far enough away from the ledge to safely throw an AS, what does default cover that Snaring doesn't? Default goes faster and has a slightly larger hitbox to hit people's fingers... but if your read isn't precise, it's not going to work. Snaring, though, it lingers, so you don't have to be precise at all; even if it misses, the gravity will pull people into it or at least **** their motions up enough to throw them off; it hits more than once, so if they somehow dodge or shield the first hit, they aren't out of danger.

Default is better than Snaring at chasing and possibly for killing (Snaring hits at a much higher angle and is weaker at lower charges) but trying to say that default is better at edgeguarding is very misinformed, I think. Snaring is even stronger on Delfino and Skyloft because it can pull a guy up through the stage if they aren't pixel-perfect on their recovery.

If you're referring to default AS, it totes can. Not at 0, the sphere wouldn't be large enough, but starting at maybe 70 or 80 it'll absolutely ruin anyone that tries to stall on the ledge.
People drop down because AS charge covers every option except deadlier than snaring. Drop down is a last resort to hit the opponent charging the AS so maybe you can get free. Snaring might cover the ledge as well but the punishment is light compared to what you can do out of asc cancels or just shooting it when they roll. It's not ''misinformed" to assume because the punishes are deadlier if you have half decent reactions. Snaring is just easy edgeguarding if you dont want to commit or arent good at it enough to get the real payouts from asc cancels.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
AS can indeed ledge snipe. I've gotten so many kills off of those who thought they were safe on the edge. Aurasphere charge at the ledge only compliments this if they try and drop down and hit you out of it with an aerial. It's easy to react, and lob your death sphere at there finger tips when they regrab.

I'm pretty sure some character have absolutely nothing they can do against it.

Edit: Aaaand kami beat me to the punch.
Here's some goomy instead.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
People drop down because AS charge covers every option except deadlier than snaring. Drop down is a last resort to hit the opponent charging the AS so maybe you can get free. Snaring might cover the ledge as well but the punishment is light compared to what you can do out of asc cancels or just shooting it when they roll. It's not ''misinformed" to assume because the punishes are deadlier if you have half decent reactions. Snaring is just easy edgeguarding if you dont want to commit or arent good at it enough to get the real payouts from asc cancels.
All of your arguments revolve around charging the AS rather than firing it, save one if you read the roll.

People drop down because AS charge covers every option except deadlier than snaring.
What makes default's charge any deadlier than Snaring's? They have the same properties except Snaring starts with a larger sphere than default's does. The same timing, the same hitboxes, the same damage-per-ticks and the same hitstun-per-tick. They both charge to max about as quickly. You can cancel both by pressing shield. What makes default so much better?

Snaring might cover the ledge as well but the punishment is light compared to what you can do out of asc cancels or just shooting it when they roll.
You can cancel Snaring's charge just like default's, so you can do the same thing out of ASC cancels. They punish differently on reacting to rolls, however.

Snaring is just easy edgeguarding if you dont want to commit or arent good at it enough to get the real payouts from asc cancels.
Again, you haven't really talked about what makes default so uniquely strong. Cancelling his charge is a powerful tool - but Snaring does it as well.

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
All of your arguments revolve around charging the AS rather than firing it, save one if you read the roll.

What makes default's charge any deadlier than Snaring's? They have the same properties except Snaring starts with a larger sphere than default's does. The same timing, the same hitboxes, the same damage-per-ticks and the same hitstun-per-tick. They both charge to max about as quickly. You can cancel both by pressing shield. What makes default so much better?

You can cancel Snaring's charge just like default's, so you can do the same thing out of ASC cancels. They punish differently on reacting to rolls, however.

Again, you haven't really talked about what makes default so uniquely strong. Cancelling his charge is a powerful tool - but Snaring does it as well.
The thing is you dont use snaring just for its charge, you use it to shoot. With default you have the charge and the shot. It has best of both worlds easily. It's much better in neutral than snaring will ever be.
Start next argument here V

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
The thing is you dont use snaring just for its charge, you use it to shoot. With default you have the charge and the shot. It has best of both worlds easily. It's much better in neutral than snaring will ever be.
Start next argument here V
But the same applies to all 3 of the aura spheres, you use the charge and shoot. Snaring is just more built to trap,wall and murder fast characters while default is more general purpose but more easily dealt with.

They have different roles while sharing abilities so of course one will do better in a certain area than the other, its kinda the point of an alt move. Both are viable and Im sure piercing is too, they just got different strengths.

Croi

Smash Lord
New argument:
What kind of argument is the previous argument? I don't use it just for its charge? That's like saying you don't use default just to shoot it, and you'd be correct. Snaring is good for both. Just like default is. Snaring is just better than default in a handful of scenarios.

Additional argument: not once did anyone in the previous argument mention using either in neutral. Just near the ledge. Snaring isn't the greatest in neutral because of its downtime, but presumably you're not throwing it just because you can for the same reason you wouldn't throw a default in neutral: it'd get dodged or blocked, or worse, reflected or absorbed or pocketed.

Kami, have you ever even used Snaring in tournament?

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
But the same applies to all 3 of the aura spheres, you use the charge and shoot. Snaring is just more built to trap,wall and murder fast characters while default is more general purpose but more easily dealt with.

They have different roles while sharing abilities so of course one will do better in a certain area than the other, its kinda the point of an alt move. Both are viable and Im sure piercing is too, they just got different strengths.
vs fast characters? no, a fast character would jump over it in neutral and annihilate you.

New argument:
What kind of argument is the previous argument? I don't use it just for its charge? That's like saying you don't use default just to shoot it, and you'd be correct. Snaring is good for both. Just like default is. Snaring is just better than default in a handful of scenarios.

Additional argument: not once did anyone in the previous argument mention using either in neutral. Just near the ledge. Snaring isn't the greatest in neutral because of its downtime, but presumably you're not throwing it just because you can for the same reason you wouldn't throw a default in neutral: it'd get dodged or blocked, or worse, reflected or absorbed or pocketed.

Kami, have you ever even used Snaring in tournament?
no, i generally dont enter tournaments to lose

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
vs fast characters? no, a fast character would jump over it in neutral and annihilate you.

Thats the thing though, it forces a jump and snaring has inverted speeds so you can easily mess with faster characters by adjusting charge and since all it takes is being hit once for snaring to combo into itself its a very useful wall.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
we'll never get anywhere croi, i wish you didn't live in japan so we could at least wifi and show each other the individual uses

Croi

Smash Lord
I do, I played some ladder before I realized it was all Sonic and Yoshi and some Fox. I'm not fond of the ditto which is why I don't really try to reach out to the other Lucarios.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
I do, I played some ladder before I realized it was all Sonic and Yoshi and some Fox. I'm not fond of the ditto which is why I don't really try to reach out to the other Lucarios.
you learn the most from dittos imo, the result doesnt really matter but ok.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
you learn the most from dittos imo, the result doesnt really matter but ok.
Is that so?

I was placing 2nd and 1st in the 3DS days, but I took a break sense Wii U release, and got 4th last tourney I went to. I ain't too happy about that. Would you mind having some matches with me sometime if you're open to it? I don't wanna lag behind the others, and Steam seems to think pretty highly of ya, ya know?

Last edited:

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
That moment when I realize Im still a nobody on this forum.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura

Is that so?

I was placing 2nd and 1st in the 3DS days, but I took a break sense Wii U release, and got 4th last tourney I went to. I ain't too happy about that. Would you mind having some matches with me sometime if you're open to it? I don't wanna lag behind the others, and Steam seems to think pretty highly of ya, ya know?
Yo Sunny, I don't think we've played since Brawl. Hit me up some time.

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Is that so?

we're always ditto'ing on skype and learning from eachother '~'

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about default vs custom makes me want to see the actual data about them: projectile speed, recovery time, etc.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yo Sunny, I don't think we've played since Brawl. Hit me up some time.
Yeah, it's been way too long! X_X Sorry i've been mostly silent recently.
I'm kinda known for dissapearing off the face of the earth every once in awhile when my life gets a little hectic. Let's get smashed, and then smash. = w=

we're always ditto'ing on skype and learning from eachother '~'
Oh. I muted that awhile ago oops.
Ya'll are cray cray. I just checked it today and already there was like 200 messages or something sense last time, dang.
but aight, i'll hit ya up. Also gonna PM you something. -w-

Where is the OP of this thread? He needs to change this to 'The Goomy gooms discussion thread"
"The Goomy is Mine!" Goomy social thread. (With more Goomys)

Loota

Smash Journeyman
eh you have no idea what normal as is capable of on the ledge, i've shown plenty others here what it can do. hopefully someone backs me up on this. I dont mean shooting it btw but charging it covers every option in the game
Even if I speak highly of snaring, it doesn't mean I don't know how good the normal AS is, just like I don't question your knowledge of snaring either just because you universally prefer the normal one. I actually just recently made a post on the character competitive impressions thread of the usage of normal AS on the ledges (which mostly applies to snaring as well), I definitely recognize the strengths you're talking about too.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, the topics on Skype are...quite varied. It's not like Smash is the only thing to talk about, which is good.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Hi guys! First post in this thread!
I'm trying to write a guide for all of us (and newcomers too) so please feel free to share some tips!

Last week I entered on a local tournament swarming with Diddy's and made it to the grand finals (somehow...) from loser's bracket, reseting and finally losing 3-0. 3 stocks, omega only and no-time.

My point is, What are our options against a diddy? I've managed to drag him down to last stock, but that infamous combo was ruining my matches, the only way I could hold on was by attempting reads and punishing with AS whenever was off-guard. But IMO being defensive against a Diddy will complicate your life, how can we face him?

DireWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1822-1646-5262
the skype topics are indeed quite varied
Also this came in the mail today, woo

why is there so much goomy in this thread, jesus h.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom