• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ask Trela/Disciple anything thread

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Alberto, I forgot your first question.

I had that feeling a lot. The way I got over it was asking why am I doing so bad. Uou're probably trying out new things, whether its being more aggressive, spamming a certain move. Trying to kill the opponemt differently, whatever it is that you're doing wrong you need to catch onto it immediately and think of ways to fix it.

Did you SD? Find out why, did you use your jump already and didnt realize it? Be more aware next time.

Hoe did you lose your stock? Did you get punish for throwing out a certain move too late or too soon? Figure out the timing. Was it an oos punish that killed me? Dont attack the shield. Did I recover poorly? Start improving on that.

The reasons are endless.

Dont just practice combos, practice everything else. Tech chasing, oos options, spacing, recovering all of these turn into mindgames.

:phone:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Do you either of you know if fsmash> dtilt utilities IASA frames? Anything else utilize it that is practical?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Usually after fsmash I immediately go for an utilt to cover myself.

I don't know any practical use for fsmash - dtilt except for pressuring the edge.

I need to look into it.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Usually after fsmash I immediately go for an utilt to cover myself.

I don't know any practical use for fsmash - dtilt except for pressuring the edge.

I need to look into it.
Do you take turn around so you get a frame 6 uptilit or do you remain stationary?

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
Alberto, I forgot your first question.

I had that feeling a lot. The way I got over it was asking why am I doing so bad. Uou're probably trying out new things, whether its being more aggressive, spamming a certain move. Trying to kill the opponemt differently, whatever it is that you're doing wrong you need to catch onto it immediately and think of ways to fix it.

Did you SD? Find out why, did you use your jump already and didnt realize it? Be more aware next time.

Hoe did you lose your stock? Did you get punish for throwing out a certain move too late or too soon? Figure out the timing. Was it an oos punish that killed me? Dont attack the shield. Did I recover poorly? Start improving on that.

The reasons are endless.

Dont just practice combos, practice everything else. Tech chasing, oos options, spacing, recovering all of these turn into mindgames.

Thank you for answering, I've never actually questioned why I lose or what im doing wrong I just keep trying harder and harder to win, ill have to start saving my replays and start seeing what I do wrong, but something that's helped me is playing other lucarios, I remember playing my friends lucario and at the beginning I would keep getting two stocked, near the end of our matches they got really close. I learned I have to work on the basics. Thanks though I'll have to try out what you told me.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Lol Alberto
I saw that your location was Ontario and I was thinking 'hey cool this guy is from my region'
Then I kept reading and it said California XD

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Question for both: Do you consider charging aura sphere while recovering to ALWAYS be a bad move? Are there situations where it is acceptable and safe, or is it always better just to charge it when you have some stage control? I feel like I can get away with a charge on the way down from a vertical launch pretty often, but I haven't played much at a higher level and would assume that this is generally punished somehow.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
It is not a bad move. You can air dodge out of it. You just have to use it at your best discretion.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I do it all the time. I'm trying to figure out how to properly breverse with it to help mixup my recovery, but right now I suck at breversing :p

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
@hichez: That's the thing, I hate putting myself into a position where AD is my only safe option. It can be read and punished very easily imo. But you're right, everything in moderation.

@Joker: Obviously you have to input the direction AFTER the special, but I find that the key lies in making sure the two inputs are as close together as possible but not to the point where you're still inputting special when you pick the direction (otherwise you'll do a side-special). Before I had it down, that's what I tried to focus on. Hope it helps, eventually you'll just commit the timing to muscle-memory.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Dear cario's~ <3
How do I deal with the MK MU? Patient MK's are a pain to deal with because it feels like everything I do can just be up-b'd. And aggro MK's are just so hard to keep off once they get in. I feel way to slow and floaty to do anything against him.

Any advice?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Question for both: Do you consider charging aura sphere while recovering to ALWAYS be a bad move? Are there situations where it is acceptable and safe, or is it always better just to charge it when you have some stage control? I feel like I can get away with a charge on the way down from a vertical launch pretty often, but I haven't played much at a higher level and would assume that this is generally punished somehow.
It's usually best to do it while you're cancelling your momentum, and having the aura sphere exposed to the opponent. Cause it gives us a bit of protection, it allows us to use bair to come back to the stage.

However I like DIing back, use dair to stop your momentum to throw off the opponent's read, 2nd jump wavebounce towards the stage with the aura sphere facing the stage.

If you're still charging aura sphere when you're really close to the stage, you better land or fire it off. Don't airdodge cause then you're just giving your opponent a free punish.

Just keep practicing where you think you're safe to charge one while recovering.

Dear cario's~ <3
How do I deal with the MK MU? Patient MK's are a pain to deal with because it feels like everything I do can just be up-b'd. And aggro MK's are just so hard to keep off once they get in. I feel way to slow and floaty to do anything against him.

Any advice?
You're gonna have to step up your DI against aggressive MKs, if they are grab aggressive bait the grab and punish with dair. Smash DI their normals and punish with dair.

At times you're gonna have to become more aggressive yourself, make your presence worth their time to go on the defensive and get away from you. Grab them, shoot aura spheres slightly above them, move around the stage. If you're getting up'd out of shield, or if they are running at you and trying to do grounded shuttle loops, bait it out and punish with fair or uair.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Played a really good Ness for the first time at my first tournament (Shaky at ZP monthlies in South Florida), and I got really thrown off just because I'm not familiar with the MU and frankly I underestimated the character. Any tips?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
It's usually best to do it while you're cancelling your momentum, and having the aura sphere exposed to the opponent. Cause it gives us a bit of protection, it allows us to use bair to come back to the stage.

If you're still charging aura sphere when you're really close to the stage, you better land or fire it off. Don't airdodge cause then you're just giving your opponent a free punish.
I have never seen any lucario actually use Bair while coming back on stage. Is this only useful for mix-ups or could it be thought of as a regular option(if that makes sense).

Wouldn't air doge be better than firing an AS off close to the stage? They will be able to punish the lag after you shoot the AS easier than guessing your air dodge habits.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
So they say to use back throw on Wario.

Why is that?
I understand not using up or down but I'm not sure why "they" prefer back to forward. I guess its because he's so heavy that the knockback from forward throw is almost always less than that of back throw, especially at low percents.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Played a really good Ness for the first time at my first tournament (Shaky at ZP monthlies in South Florida), and I got really thrown off just because I'm not familiar with the MU and frankly I underestimated the character. Any tips?
Respect his retreating fair, respect his fair period.
Don't try to fight him air to air.
Stay under him at all times, so using dthrow is pretty good in this match up.
Kill him fast when he's off stage!
We have a stronger ground game focus on that.

So they say to use back throw on Wario.

Why is that?
Free 10%

He recovers too fast for us to follow up on anything with the other throws.

You can use dthrow, but his mobility in the air is too good, so if he DIs away and up, we're at a bad position.

It's out best way to reset the situation.

I have never seen any lucario actually use Bair while coming back on stage. Is this only useful for mix-ups or could it be thought of as a regular option(if that makes sense).

Wouldn't air doge be better than firing an AS off close to the stage? They will be able to punish the lag after you shoot the AS easier than guessing your air dodge habits.

If you're bouncing back towards the stage with aura sphere charge, then yes it is.

Aura sphere gives us a bit of coverage as in, they have to shield the attack, move out of the way, or get hit.

Airdodge is like "Hey he's vulnerable now, so I'm just gonna hit him now."

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Good players will also punish your airdodge right?
Good players read air dodging. Reading doesn't always guarantee a punish. They may attack to early or to late. Plus you have to take into account what character you are playing. It might be worth it vs a Samus and defiantly not an MK.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
You can say the same about them perfect shielding the aura sphere. Some may shield too early or too late, so they can get the shield push, or get the perfect shield, or get hit cause they tried to shield too late and it didn't come up.

One move has knockback, while the other may or may not get us hit.

Worth it against a Samus if they punish our airdodge? That's a free spike for her.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well i was thinking that you would use it when you were on the verge of being above the stage. I see your point I just don't see a point in limiting your options even more. Airdodge isn't bad it is just another option it doesn't always get punished/read.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
If you have your 2nd jump still, I would airdodge but if I don't I would rather go for aura sphere and having my back turned so I can use bair as well. Fair will still have a hitbox behind Lucario, but the bair is too good in situations as well.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
wow, can't believe its almost been a month...

i was just wondering, does Lucario get any unique or useful setups from grab-releases?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
at what times and on which characters is Lucario's up-throw a "chain-grab". also, what's the best follow-up (u-air, u-tilt, etc)?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Trela

For the namesearch.

Trela

Smash Lord
I'm already teaming with Ally for it this year, Mekos, sorry :(

AND JUST LET THIS THREAD DIE PLS I DONT WANNA LOOK AT IT ANYMORE

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You heard him.

Ask more questions.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey, what would you guys recommend on improving? Any tips on how to improve from mid-level play to high level play?

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
For D. Desciple and Trela:

Do you have tap jump on or off? Are there any other customizations you've made?

And why?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
The best of my main and the best of my secondary would be way too cool :D
Too bad it is not gonna happen :(

You heard him.

Ask more questions.

Yes sir!

Haha sorry Trela, I just wanted to say that about the thought of you and Mekos teaming. This is my last post on this thread I promise.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
:( why doesn't Trela want to help us? you must pass your gifts down to your fellow Lucarios! with great power comes great responsibility (everyone should see the amazing spiderman).

Top Bottom