• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ask Trela/Disciple anything thread

D. Disciple

Smash Master
at what times and on which characters is Lucario's up-throw a "chain-grab". also, what's the best follow-up (u-air, u-tilt, etc)?
Fox/Wolf/C.Falcon

Low aura uthrow from 0-38% then dthrow

For D. Desciple and Trela:

Do you have tap jump on or off? Are there any other customizations you've made?

And why?

:phone:
I have the default settings from playing SSBM for so long, that it's really natural for me. I tried no tap and it was really weird for me.

:( why doesn't Trela want to help us? you must pass your gifts down to your fellow Lucarios! with great power comes great responsibility (everyone should see the amazing spiderman).
TRELA CAN'T HANDLE THE POWAH!

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Hey, what would you guys recommend on improving? Any tips on how to improve from mid-level play to high level play?
Head out to tournaments with people a lot better than you. Play lots of friendlies with them, watch yourself play. Notice on what you're doing wrong instead of what you're doing right.

Also, be creative!

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
But surely you can't use tap jump for SH moves, right?

Using the B stick to SH in the forward direction while simultaneously using an Fair seems difficult.

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
The quick Dair is easier (and possible) with tap jump on too. I'll practice with it on.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
But surely you can't use tap jump for SH moves, right?

Using the B stick to SH in the forward direction while simultaneously using an Fair seems difficult.

It ain't that hard. I personally can't play without it on. You'll get use to it man. To the point where it becomes second nature.

So...
Uhg.
Luca dudes.
How do I deal with peach? I have no clue why this MU gives me so much trouble, but I have a hard time dealing with her crazy float pressure. Her pressure just feels so safe against us. and the turnip frame frames she can do in the air are irritating...

I've been told I need to just rush her down a lil harder when shes in the air, but I respect the f-air and n-air to much. Any one have a take on how to deal with her~?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I don't think tap jump on/off affects Lucario very differently when compared with its uses for other characters. Just comes down to whichever you prefer. Personally, I like it off because I tend to accidentally waste my second jump while drifting if it's on.

I've never played a good Peach, but I believe that most of our moves beat her turnips while she only has back-air to sometimes beat our smaller aura-spheres. Her fair works too, but the timing is trickier. Other than that, be careful when approaching her float with fair because good timing on her part will cause you to eat a fair. I can't remember, but its worth knowing whether or not our utilt beats her dair. She can use it three times in one float if we let her.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Probably a silly question...how does Trela like, auto-cancel charging of aura sphere into a jump? Is he doing it out of a shield?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yes.
If hes canceling it from the air he's airdodging at the last second before he hits the ground.

If he's canceling it on the ground, he's shielding, then jumping immediately out of shield so its hardly visible.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
DI away and avoid the situation. I strongly encourage you to look a frame data and you will see why. It also depends on the character. Some characters can exploit us more/different ways. Maybe the fp king and his disciple can give more insight.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Yes.
If hes canceling it from the air he's airdodging at the last second before he hits the ground.

If he's canceling it on the ground, he's shielding, then jumping immediately out of shield so its hardly visible.
Oftentimes when he does the OoS jump, he follows with another ASC so that he is charging as he is rising and then falling in the air. This makes it look like he's moving while continuously charging his aura sphere, which not only looks awesome but also confuses the **** out of the opponent and makes him unpredictable.

Edit @ BlueZelda: Some jabs can cause Lucario to become slightly airborne for short periods of time, and if they have enough frame disadvantage, you can interrupt with an aerial (Lucario's have very little startup). But Hichez is right, in general you just want to DI out or PS->retreat in order to reset.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'd ask a Trela question, but he doesn't answer questions because he hates everyone here.

So I'll just call him stupid.

Stupid Trela.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I was watching a video of trela vs snake on SV. Snake put his downsmash near the ledge. The snake got trela offstage and then he went on the ledge to force trela to recover onto the stage and land on the downsmash. I was wondering if there is a way to avoid getting hit in this situation. I think the answer is no, but maybe there is something i dont know about.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
TRELA
CIPLE

HELP US NOT BE TERRIBLE AT THIS GAME!

I was watching a video of trela vs snake on SV. Snake put his downsmash near the ledge. The snake got trela offstage and then he went on the ledge to force trela to recover onto the stage and land on the downsmash. I was wondering if there is a way to avoid getting hit in this situation. I think the answer is no, but maybe there is something i dont know about.
Depends. I'd have to know what stage its on. If its something like FD he could have wall jumped over it, and toss out an attack on the way up to keep snake from hitting him.

If not, the only possible thing he could have done is shoot an aurasphere to blow up the mine, THEN up-b to the stage. He'd probably be met with a b-air though, so...yea either way he was probably gonna eat an attack.

I'd have to see the vid to know the spacing, but yea, you're auraspheres will beat out mine's if you fire them at around ground level.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Aww I see.
The snake could have been popped off the edge with a u-air, but thats about it. He edgehogged it reaaally early, so his invincibly frames would have worn out by then. If the snake did that PERFECTLY while lucario's under the stage though, there's really not much we can do about it.

But in that case, yea, U-air snake, or firing an aurasphere at the mine would have worked.

Trela

Smash Lord
It is as Sunny said, yes. I could of thrown out basically ANY attack and hit Snake off of the ledge. Not sure what I was really thinking there in that situation lol. Maybe I was so focused on my DI and staying alive that I missed Snake actually planting the mine?

But anyways, I apologize to those who look forward to all of my answers to your questions. To be honest, I have NO IDEA what to say to most of these questions, ESPECIALLY the ones that have to do with MUs that I have almost next to NO knowledge of. There's also a BUNCH of questions that should of been asked in the Q&A thread instead of this one, but I want to go ahead and thank those who went ahead and took care of them for me and Disciple (Sunny/Soussou/hichez).

I dunno, I just don't feel like this thread is going in the right direction. I know the title of this thread says ask "anything" in it, but....

I just realized this thead is an "ask anything" thread.

Disciple, would you be so kind as to highlight the word "anything" in the title and press the backspace key on your keyboard for me? Thanks :)

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Dear Trela

There is an ingrown hair on my left ear, and when I pull on it, my eye starts hurting and I go blind temporarily.

Is this natural?

and no problem man. I understand its really hard to constantly give out tips and explain scenario's to people. Its hard, considering everyone kinda has there own way of dealing with MU's. Or if you're like me, you overcome MU's, but don't know what exactly your doing differently for that MU. :V

Eiiiither way man, feel free to take a break if you need to Trelalalalalala. We got dis. <3

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Ask Trela/DD important things only thread?

I was wondering if using DT when pikmin are eating my brains is a usually a good idea.

Also, what are the best options after hitting your opponent with Utilt at low % (other than m0ar Utilt and assuming your opponent doesn't have a frame-1 Dair :p)?

Other also, will you guys scrutinize/add to the list of Lucario options that Hichez and I are workin on when its finished? We'd appreciate it.

I had something else but I can't remember...wish me luck this Saturday at Smashed Together ? :D

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Trela, you suck at answering questions.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Is it possible to DoubleTeam the landmine in this scenario?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
No, you can't DT after ES, or do anything after ES for that matter. The best course of action here would have been for Trela to use ES to recover over the map (past the mine) instead of falling to the edge where Snake was already hanging. Unfortunately, mind-games seem to have prevailed.

Since the obvious move was for Trela to recover over the map, Snake took the ledge to ensure that he did so. That leaves Snake's only option to be a ledge-jump to punish Trela's recovery on-stage, but Trela didn't like that idea so he fell in hopes that Snake would vacate the ledge in time for him to grab it. Snake seemed to anticipate this extremely unlikely decision and hung on the ledge. Trela could have attacked but didn't realize that Snake wasn't jumping soon enough, so he had to ES late and take the hit from the mine.

An odd situation, to say the least. Avoidable as long as Lucario throws out some sort of attack to prevent Snake from hogging the ledge, but like Trela said, he was just confused.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Because you suck.

-Trela

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I know you obviously can't act after ES, it's not like I don't play Lucario. All it says is that he was forced to go onstage, or the ledge. Use of ES to get there is not implied in that scenario. Obviously, I didn't see the video of this.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
"Obviously" watch the video next time before you start typing, its not like he didn't post it at the top of the page. Don't get mad at me either, I have to assume you were aware of the situation we were talking about because your post came after the link.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I just watched it, and it totally doesn't look like he needed ES to get onstage. He halted his forward momentum twice during his recovery. There's an infinite number of ways he could've gotten back, he clearly just derped.

Trela

Smash Lord
Dear Trela

There is an ingrown hair on my left ear, and when I pull on it, my eye starts hurting and I go blind temporarily.

Is this natural?
....What are you?

trela, are you dtf at whobo"?
At first, I didn't even know what dtf meant until I typed it into Google.

But now that I do....

I was wondering if using DT when pikmin are eating my brains is a usually a good idea.
I've tried it here and there but haven't been able to ever get the hit on Olimar with it, as in they're either backing up or jumping backwards while throwing their Pikmin on me and are just too far away for me to punish. I don't think it's a terrible option, but it's definitely one that shouldn't be used consistently. I should try experimenting with it more often, though. I think it could get someone here and there :)

Also, what are the best options after hitting your opponent with Utilt at low % (other than m0ar Utilt and assuming your opponent doesn't have a frame-1 Dair :p)?
Either waiting for them to come down with an aerial or air dodge or, and this one I haven't really bothered trying to use much (if at all), catching their double jump escape with something like an Uair. I find it much safer to just wait for the reaction, other than using more Utilt, of course lol.

Other also, will you guys scrutinize/add to the list of Lucario options that Hichez and I are workin on when its finished? We'd appreciate it.
A list of Lucario options? Well, what's it look like right now? And what exactly are these "options"? :confused:

I had something else but I can't remember...wish me luck this Saturday at Smashed Together ? :D
Sorry for not wishing you luck earlier lol. How did you do?

Trela, you suck at answering questions.
Alright, next question, please!

Trela, why do you think I lied?
ALRIGHT, NEXT QUESTION, PLE-

Oh.

Well FML.

Btw, Zero (the MK main from Chile) is going to do an interview with me real soon and post it here in the Lucario boards for you guys to read. Hopefully everything goes well :urg:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I didn't ask a question, it was a statement of fact.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I didn't ask a question, it was a statement of fact.
lol

Sorry for not wishing you luck earlier lol. How did you do?
thanks but...I don't wanna talk about it X(

A list of Lucario options? Well, what's it look like right now? And what exactly are these "options"? :confused:
Its basically a list of possible ways for Lucario to respond to various scenarios. For example, all the things that Lucario CAN do from the edge, and when each option is preferred. As of now it looks kinda like the original Lucario starter guide, but we're working on tailoring it more towards specific circumstances (and covering a wide range of them).

If you have a gmail account you can send me the address and I'll share the document with you.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
Wow, this is so interesting. The fact that I am learning more about this awesome character called Lucario. But I am so bad at him. All I know is that I hear a lot about this Trela person. So I do have a question for them. Or anyone. Actually all Lucario people.

So what made you love playing Lucario? I'm not sure what I got infatuated (is that the right wor? Wait am I in love?) Did I just sidetrack? Wait.... Gah, confused Bon is confused.

So what made you want to play Lucario, everyone?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I had fond memories of playing Mewtwo in Melee. When Brawl was under development and Lucario was kind of introduced on SmashDojo as his replacement, I knew I had to learn how to play him. I also loved Pokemon as a kid so I also try to play Pokemon Trainer (Jiggs is H-tier and Pika is too fast for me), but Lucario has dem base-stats nomsayin!?

Why I kept him on as my main had more to do with his uniqueness with Aura Bonus and his killpower. There's something inspiring about being at a 100% deficit and knowing that your opponent is scared of you. Plus I fell in love with Aura Sphere.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I decided to play lucario after watching the sktar stream.
Oh? and playing against you was an honor, btw. I enjoyed it very much. :)

DrSoussou, your story made my day. I enjoy you too, sire.

Actually., I enjoy all Lucario players. <3

Top Bottom