• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Advance Techniques" from Melee. Sensible or Illogical?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The thing about tech-skill is a simple one :
------> The Smash comunity takes all SSB game to a playlevel not even envisioned by the production team.
------> This same comunity so finds exploits and glitchs for boost this playlevel.

While some discoveries seems "perfect" for the competitive scene, no competitive scene is seriously intended (specially in SSBB, sadly).

The most well-done is Sakurai job, less "tech-skill" we will see and the game will be most focused in be hardly played in his original form. (I'm not saying a non-competitive way, please...)
------------------
O.k, you can say that some tech-skill are mechanisms already implanted, like L-cancel.
**** L-cancel. I prefer any exploit in Brawl (less CG's infinite ) than this masochist technique.

About all the hate against tech-skill is natural (and I have some too) 'cause a game full-loaded with what we call "tech-skills" is nothing more than a untested and bugged .
But if nice new mechanisms are in SBB4, helping the game competitiveness without making he looks like this,

I'm in.

RODO

Smash Ace
The whole glitch vs exploit thing eh? This is how I see it; people misuse words all of the time, and after having done so for so long it catches on and everyone believes that to be truth. The best example of this is the use of the word irony, but a good example is facebook. When someone logs onto another persons account to mess with them, the original account holder will probably say "I got hacked" which isn't the case at all.

You can say that wavedashing is a glitch, but you'd be wrong. My stepbrother used to say a game was "glitching" when it was indeed lagging lol

MarioKing0522

Smash Rookie
I don't see the big deal, wavedashing took a little of time to master but it made the game even more exciting for me once I nailed it. My friends hated it, though, haha.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A glitch is merely something that's an unintentional result of a line of code. That's all it is. It doesn't necessarily have to look unnatural, it just has to be non-intentional. By this logic, even if Sakurai notices a glitch in a game's code, and decides to keep it there because he thinks it adds to the game - that's still a glitch. Just an unfixed one.

That's not to say I am condemning the practice. I'm just stating that these are still glitches, as coding something and getting the desired result, and coding something, getting an unintended result, but leaving it there because it's cool, are not the same thing. The latter is still a glitch. It's not a bad thing in all cases, and is why some of my favourite game mechanics exist at all (you know the Infinite Wall Jump mechanic that is integral to Mega Man X's gameplay? That is the result of a coding error, that the game's developers thought was so cool, they decided to outright design the game around it).

That being said, most of the exploits and glitches in Smash add to the game, and despite being glitches, I don't mind them being there.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
A glitch is merely something that's an unintentional result of a line of code. That's all it is. It doesn't necessarily have to look unnatural, it just has to be non-intentional. By this logic, even if Sakurai notices a glitch in a game's code, and decides to keep it there because he thinks it adds to the game - that's still a glitch. Just an unfixed one.

That's not to say I am condemning the practice. I'm just stating that these are still glitches, as coding something and getting the desired result, and coding something, getting an unintended result, but leaving it there because it's cool, are not the same thing. The latter is still a glitch. It's not a bad thing in all cases, and is why some of my favourite game mechanics exist at all (you know the Infinite Wall Jump mechanic that is integral to Mega Man X's gameplay? That is the result of a coding error, that the game's developers thought was so cool, they decided to outright design the game around it).

That being said, most of the exploits and glitches in Smash add to the game, and despite being glitches, I don't mind them being there.
Completely agree with everything said.

As someone who has designed and developed many games (although as class projects, nothing that has actually been on the market yet), I can second the motion that many, many times, glitches end up being so "cool" that they are purposely left in the game and marketed as "features" or "techniques", but that doesn't take away from the fact that they were just a glitch that was found "fun" by the developers. And this happens more than you would think, games have an incredible amount of bugs and glitches to fix always and normally at least some of those glitches are viewed as fun or good and are just left in the game.

I don't have anything against glitches at all as long as they add to the game. For example I actually like DACUS a lot. I just find it kind of ironic that some Anti-Melee/Pro Brawl players try to diss on wavedash being a glitch when it actually isn't and yet DACUS actually probably is one.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IMO, the only bad glitches are graphics related ones, or ones that are detrimental to your experience (like clipping through the floor and falling to your death). And ones that break immersion, though I admit, some immersion breaking glitches are just amusing anyway and turn the game into a different kind of fun (e.g. every Bethesda game ever! :V).

Stuff like DACUS though, are just things that you can use to your advantage to improve your own skill level, and are by no means unfair. I'd feel differently if the CPU was designed to use these glitches, but this is not the case, and as such, these glitches can only ever enhance a player's experience.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
some thoughts:

you're downplaying how hard DACUS is to use effectively, and ignoring the fact that wavedashing can be used in extremely simple ways effectively. most people gradually learn to implement wavedashing by doing rudimentary things like baiting a forward smash and wavedashing backwards. that's literally all i did for like 2 years. there is nothing more complicated about wavedashing into an upsmash than DACUSing into one, except that wavedashing lengths are more familiar/predictable and therefore easier to aim/judge.

"Question: Am I allowed to think what I want?"

"All opinion."

lancerstaff's M.O.:

1) complain when people participate ("was i talking to you?")
2) put forth arguments in a completely unorganized fashion, largely ignoring what's been written before and immediately after them
3) demand people address his arguments ("can we get back to x?"; can we get back to y?")
4) when people address them, repeat only "i'm allowed to have an opinion, gah, leave me alone."
5) when people put forth any arguments of their own, demand that anything they ever say must be opinion, dismissing any and all good points and counterpoints they've made in order to swiftly jump back to #3.

i'm absolutely baffled by you, kid. i just don't understand what you want out of all this. it's like you demand one specific thing to be talked about, and as soon as it's talked about you immediately just start screaming "opinion" and try to change the subject time after time. you're just ignoring good input because you don't like what you hear, but you keep coming back because you don't know what you're looking for. and please, for the sake of everyone here, just never say "opinion" again. we know, man. we just ****ing know already.

l-cancels are a more interesting topic because they raise the issue of whether arbitrary difficulty is a good thing or not. if you think it's always or never a good thing, you're wrong. easy, but confounds more people in more ways than the wavedashing debate.

if you take out wavedashing......
1) dashdancing will be affected, because it will be more predictable. if you dash too far, you can't turn around quickly by wavedashing. an opponent will know when you've committed to coming out of a dashdance, in other words.
2) an insane amount of combos will be made impossible, especially those involving platforms. you won't be able to reset your jumps to chase by airdodging down as soon as you come up through a platform, nor will you be able attain quick lateral movement in many situations involving platforms.
3) edge guarding will lose several dimensions. getting off and to the ledge will take longer and therefore be more predictable.
4) mind games will lose innumerable dimensions; way fewer mix-up possibilities

i'm not sure how people can say things like "i don't really care either way," because it implies that it wouldn't make that big of a difference if it weren't in. this is just not the case in the slightest. and no...this is not an "opinion." it is a reasonably accurate description of reality by normative usage of english words. taking wavedashing out will make everyone much less deadly because it will remove many ways to harm your opponent both directly and indirectly. as if we hadn't seen this firsthand already. if you MUST remove it, then implement something that will account for that loss of deadliness. something like making an instant turn-around from a dash possible at all times, e.g. something like a command that makes you stick to the ground if you want while coming up from the bottom of a platform, e.g. re-imagine ledge mechanics altogether, e.g. if you just propose "oh take out wavedashing because whatever," then you'd be a terrible game designer because you'd sever a limb off the game and offer nothing to compensate. imagination, people. i've already played smash 64.
Why do you feel the need to attack me so much? I'm just another person on the internet. Just some punk you can block with the press of a button. Why not just do that? You're clearly not getting through.

I apologized, didn't I? I was in a bad mood.
I never said I was very organized. And I'm not ignoring your points, I just don't see how they counter anything. You as well 'ignored' mine because you didn't see how they countered it.
That's the way you see it. I told you why I think Wavedashing is a glitch, then I had to clarify that it's my opinion. You literally can't prove or disprove Wavedashing is a glitch.
Why did I want my argument addressed so bad? Because it got buried under ten pages of pointless arguing. And look, it's lead to something interesting.

You claim I'm many things, but that's just your opinion. :joyful:

Anyway, I don't see what the point of techs are. They're just more moves, gameplay wise. Add them, remove them, whatever. Everybody is on equal ground, so to speak. Everybody has access to the same characters. And more moves doesn't inherently make a game better. It could do just the opposite, making things overly complicated.

Now, they don't have to make a replacement for Wavedashing. Essentially, no Wavedashing is the new Wavedashing. Wavedashing made Melee different, not better.

xandre

Smash Cadet
Why do you feel the need to attack me so much? I'm just another person on the internet. Just some punk you can block with the press of a button. Why not just do that? You're clearly not getting through.

I apologized, didn't I? I was in a bad mood.
I never said I was very organized. And I'm not ignoring your points, I just don't see how they counter anything. You as well 'ignored' mine because you didn't see how they countered it.
That's the way you see it. I told you why I think Wavedashing is a glitch, then I had to clarify that it's my opinion. You literally can't prove or disprove Wavedashing is a glitch.
Why did I want my argument addressed so bad? Because it got buried under ten pages of pointless arguing. And look, it's lead to something interesting.

You claim I'm many things, but that's just your opinion. :joyful:

Anyway, I don't see what the point of techs are. They're just more moves, gameplay wise. Add them, remove them, whatever. Everybody is on equal ground, so to speak. Everybody has access to the same characters. And more moves doesn't inherently make a game better. It could do just the opposite, making things overly complicated.

Now, they don't have to make a replacement for Wavedashing. Essentially, no Wavedashing is the new Wavedashing. Wavedashing made Melee different, not better.
i meticulously pointed out just how your points were not satisfactory. they fail for reasons, and i provided those reasons. the only way for the conversation to progress is if you look at those reasons and either say a) that i (xandre) was mistaken when i said they failed because______, or b) that you (lancer) see how a point of yours fails in the way i demonstrated--after which you adjust your position. typically you do a bit of both in a conversation; it is a back and forth process in which two people climb their way to a consensus by gradually illuminated assumptions, agreeing up definitions, and pointing out fallacies. so you see that the reason i say "i still win" is that because it's as if you just walked out of the room. you abandoned the process altogether and keep trying to reset with the button labelled "opinion."

which leads us to the bigger problem: "You literally can't prove or disprove Wavedashing is a glitch." i've never even remotely suggested the contrary. see what i mean? YOU JUST SAY THINGS. you utter words and that's the extent of what you're doing. nothing beyond that. just. saying. in fact, the most substantial point i made in my first long post agrees with this point unrelentingly. i don't want to prove wavedashing to be a glitch or not because IT'S COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. i've said that like 5 times, and i've never argued with you about whether it constitutes a glitch or an exploit. NEVER. this isn't a matter of opinion--i didn't try to argue about that with you and it can be proven. if you weren't so lazy and disrespectful, you'd know that. i can hear the predictable response already. "me, disrespectful? look at you! you're rude!" i'm being a **** to you because you insist on being the bull in the china shop without giving two ****s about what people actually have to say. repeating yourself without taking care to consider the words of others is disrespectful, and "you started it," as they say. and no, you're not just "some guy on the internet." there is a reason i'm not sitting here badgering a random selection of people that happen to stroll in. you're making points (that need to be expelled from this planet altogether) in a public forum for discussion in which we evaluate each other's input--opinions and arguments alike. stop trying to black out the friction with your pedestrian "oh you're such a bully, i'm just an innocent bystander" crap. cheap diversion tactics for someone who's just trying to run his mouth about the same 2 points over and over again. you want to play football until you get hit, then you run to the sidelines crying, then immediately run back to the coach saying "put me in put me in" over and over and over again.

"Now, they don't have to make a replacement for Wavedashing. Essentially, no Wavedashing is the new Wavedashing. Wavedashing made Melee different, not better."

sentence 1: obviously. sentence 2: a bad way of rephrasing sentence 1. sentence 3: how many different people have said this how many times? like i said before, you're getting so caught up on really simple points that everyone agrees with you on and you can't move past them for some reason. you're literally going to say that again in a few days and i will be able to point back to this moment AGAIN. WTF?!?!? you really seem to like that point. ok, so do we. can you stop saying it now? please? we all know!!!!!!! different, not necessarily better!!!!! so insightful! so profound! i can list the things taking out wavedashing will do without saying "therefore it is better in," and i even gave you examples of the kinds of things that would make it ok to take it out given the type of elements that most hardcore smashers find enjoyable.

and the only thing i have to pick on is your words. i know nothing about you personally. if you want it to stop, leave or fix your words. because we're here for people's words.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
xandre said:
you baflle me [not direct quote]
There's a lot of stuff being said and I'm discussing bits and pieces of it. I'll try to make sure to quote here and respond only stuff in quotes.

EDIT: Oh XD you're talking to someone else. Well, I'm probably kind of confusing too. I try to work around it though.

Rayzk said:
You could wavedash into Up-Smash and it would work almost exactly like a short DACUS. (Or multiple wavedashes into Up-Smash which would work almost exactly like a slow DACUS).
But it's not the same. DACUS has no lag (you start the charge and movement immediately). Wavedash has more than 10 frames before you actually start the charge. DACUS also lets you slide while charging. I do like the other points of your post though [hence my "like" on it].

xandre said:
you're downplaying how hard DACUS is to use effectively
? I'm not clear what you mean by this... it takes some practice and it's very situational, but the situations to use it always seem fairly obvious to me (just a question of use it or bait). I think you exaggerate the difficulty of implementing the DACUS - it's a KO tool and a mixup. If you want to enlighten me as to why it's hard, by all means, but... you don't clarify what this means when I reread your post and I don't agree prima facie, so we're currently stuck. Also, the fact that you spent two years practicing one use of wavedashing suggests it's very difficult to use effectively - I practiced DACUSing for like 4 hours plus playing with people and I can already throw it out when I'm looking for a KO off a whiffed attack.

xandre said:
there is nothing more complicated about wavedashing into an upsmash than DACUSing into one, except that wavedashing lengths are more familiar/predictable and therefore easier to aim/judge
Do you DACUS enough? If you're used to a character's DACUS lengths (Falco), scoring a KO with it is hardly difficult (especially BDACUS, pretty sure that's the same length every time), it's not like you can DACUS a ton of different lengths, but one wrong wavedash angle and you just upsmashed the air or behind your opponent (although Falco's sourspot makes this a fun KO move), vs simply knowing your distances and executing the DACUS. Also wavedash usmash is jump->airdodge while holding down -> upsmash, DACUS is attack while dashing -> upsmash, or cstick down to z+up on the control stick, there is less analog stick movement and (if you don't tap jump) less pressing of buttons, so unless complicated =/= hitting more buttons for a similar result, then yes actually, it is more complicated - there are even people who DACUS by just flicking the cstick down then up while running, that's even simpler.

Granted, you've practiced wavedashing well over 2 years, I haven't, so good for you. This is all opinion anyway, so if you find wavedashing simpler, keep using it, I'll stick to the DACUS in Brawl and P:M and work on wavesmashing and wavedashing, thank you.

xandre said:
if you take out wavedashing......
1) dashdancing will be affected, because it will be more predictable. if you dash too far, you can't turn around quickly by wavedashing. an opponent will know when you've committed to coming out of a dashdance, in other words.
2) an insane amount of combos will be made impossible, especially those involving platforms. you won't be able to reset your jumps to chase by airdodging down as soon as you come up through a platform, nor will you be able attain quick lateral movement in many situations involving platforms.
3) edge guarding will lose several dimensions. getting off and to the ledge will take longer and therefore be more predictable.
4) mind games will lose innumerable dimensions; way fewer mix-up possibilities
i'm not sure how people can say things like "i don't really care either way," because it implies that it wouldn't make that big of a difference if it weren't in. [emphasis mine] this is just not the case in the slightest. and no...this is not an "opinion." it is a reasonably accurate description of reality by normative usage of english words. taking wavedashing out will make everyone much less deadly because it will remove many ways to harm your opponent both directly and indirectly. as if we hadn't seen this firsthand already. if you MUST remove it, then implement something that will account for that loss of deadliness. something like making an instant turn-around from a dash possible at all times, e.g. something like a command that makes you stick to the ground if you want while coming up from the bottom of a platform, e.g. re-imagine ledge mechanics altogether, e.g. if you just propose "oh take out wavedashing because whatever," then you'd be a terrible game designer because you'd sever a limb off the game and offer nothing to compensate.
First, I don't really care either way. Why? You've begged the question by assuming that wavedashing necessarily adds depth for me. I'm not used to it, so removing doesn't actually remove all this stuff from my gameplay, because it hasn't ever really been there. And even now, when I've started implementing more "advanced" stuff, I don't really care when I play Brawl because I'm used to what you would probably call 'limited' movement. So it wouldn't make that big a difference or remove ways to harm my opponent if it weren't in TO ME. (I said this in my last post [in capital letters] and that part was ignored... I'll make more noticeable the part people seemed to ignore).

That said, it adds depth to the game for others, so if it comes back I won't be angry or anything - just means I'll have more people who usually play Melee to play with.

Some other stuff:

You've ignore that melee wavedash mechanics necessarily also removes some approach options - a simple example is the short hop air dodge - not always effective but certain characters like Fox can make good use of it, especially vs Marth and other large sword ranges. You also make getting down from juggles much harder - maybe that's something you appreciate, but if "recovering is too easy because the other guy loses options," you create the problem "juggling is too easy because the other guy loses options" - also Brawl certainly still has edgeguarding despite not having wavedashing (it's less prominent than Melee but Diddy Kongs are definitely gimped along with Olimars, Snakes, Falcos, and MKs at least gimp or KO each other offstage despite the autosweetspots). I'm sure we could do a list of pros and cons to each kind of airdodge - wavedashing will probably come out on top, but to act like Brawl airdodge has no advantage is rather silly, and you're playing it up like anyone who thinks the brawl airdodge has benefits is stupid. (One example for the list is ledgehop airdodge - Melee you can waveland but in Brawl you can airdodge through much more safely because of how the physics engine runs - you don't pause dramatically and start falling in Brawl so there is less time to react and punish the Brawl version if your opponent has committed compared to Melee).

Also if you remove a mechanic, you're only a terrible game designer if there was never a compensation to begin with. Based on the fact that SSB64 is a playable, fun game that can be made very competitive [Brawl is too but you seem to disagree strongly], there clearly are things to compensate for wavedashing. They aren't perfect substitutes, but you've ignored the fact that the game empirically still runs and plays well and fun without wavedashing (I'm looking at Smash 64 here, trying to avoid the "Brawl sucks" diatribes). Maybe the game is "better" with wavedashing but if the designer wants to run the game a certain way and DACUS/wavedash/airdodge doesn't fit to them, it's their right to take it out (and your right to refuse to play the game).

Random note, Kie invented some trick on the ledge that lets Peach get on the level almost instantly - I'm not entirely clear what it is because I only saw another Peach using it in a matchup, but apparently there is some replacement that at least Peach can access. She can't get on the ledge like that but she can get off it pretty safely, so her getting off the ledge is easier. (It's mentioned at about 1:10, the commentator calls it "using lift"...)P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPbTWG-m3O0

xandre said:
imagination, people. i've already played smash 64.
If you're implying Smash 64 is a bad game, you're dearly mistaken. If you're implying that no wavedash = smash 64, that's an idiotic statement unless he removes airdodging entirely (which is one of the most popular casual mechanic, so the odds of that are extremely low) and also teching (Isai greenhouse combos too good) which is also extremely unlikely.

guedes the brawler said:
the only bad glitch in the entire series (that wasn't banned competitively) is the brawl hitstun one. all else was good.
I don't mind the glitch too much, although I agree it definitely made Brawl take a hit, fanbase-wise (and combo-wise, although combos aren't extinct for it). But I've played Brawl enough to where I'm used to it so it's less of a big deal to me than many Melee vets.

Actually, I'd love to see it slightly re-implemented where it only applies for knockback above a certain level (I dunno, there's some scale or something for it, I read that an fmash at like 100% averages out to about 165 knockback, so maybe for blows above 160 knockback) so that you can momentum cancel the big hits but the combos stay intact (ex: you can't momentum cancel if you take less than a certain amount of knockback) because it would not only place emphasis on gimping (Can't momentum cancel MK shuttle loop at low percents) but it would also increase survivability, which I find makes the game more interesting (I find some of the most entertaining matches to be the ones where Armada is surviving to 180+% or Masha is surviving beyond 200% as Falco in Brawl). It would be an AT that adds some depth to the game without sacrificing combos (possibly make it that throws could never be momentum-cancelled, so Fox keeps his uthrow-> uair if it returns like in Melee).

Well that was a lot of stuff to say. You don't need to agree with me by any stretch but if you want me to agree with you, explaining some stuff some more (I'm mainly referring to the DACUS part), then by all means, I'll read it and think about it some more.

Last edited:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
@ Thor Thor you can still short hop air dodge. They call it triangle jumping, and as long as you're mindful of the angle you can get the functionality of a brawl air dodge.

Thor

Smash Champion
Vkrm said:
@ Thor Thor you can still short hop air dodge. They call it triangle jumping, and as long as you're mindful of the angle you can get the functionality of a brawl air dodge.
Sort of... it feels a little clunkier but I do see your point. Although you can't SH FF AD in Melee, you're stuck with one falling speed as you air dodge (namely the speed of the dodge) [I'm referring to the actual invulnerability frames, where if you fast fall airdodge you still stop in Melee for the dodge while you can FF or just regular air dodge in Brawl]. You also can't really triangle jump from below the stage jumping onto the level like in Brawl (i.e, I can drop, jump and immediately air dodge and still keeping moving forward to land behind someone - I have to wait to AD to do that in Melee). Though you're right that there is a similar [if imperfect] substitute, at least for onstage play.

Last edited:
Sort of... it feels a little clunkier but I do see your point. Although you can't SH FF AD in Melee, you're stuck with one falling speed as you air dodge (namely the speed of the dodge) [I'm referring to the actual invulnerability frames, where if you fast fall airdodge you still stop in Melee for the dodge while you can FF or just regular air dodge in Brawl]. You also can't really triangle jump from below the stage jumping onto the level like in Brawl (i.e, I can drop, jump and immediately air dodge and still keeping moving forward to land behind someone - I have to wait to AD to do that in Melee). Though you're right that there is a similar [if imperfect] substitute, at least for onstage play.
Why fast fall when you can just short hop to a waveland or any option that is infinitely more beneficial that what Brawl minimally provides? I mean I can't even platform cancel on all of the stages.

SH air dodging is one of the problems with Brawls overly defensive gameplay and doesn't give you incentive to attempt a mix up, read or forced approach. Why try hard when I could just air dodge and spot dodge till my opponent makes a mistake? Then again it's to be expected since the game lacks aerial momentum besides a select few characters so mixing up approaches is difficult, and in many cases pointless when you could just punish.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Strategic skill should always override tech skill, this can be achieved with a hitstun increase, but no annoying mechanics that take like a year to implement into gameplay. Wavedash and DACUS are both too hard.

Strategic skill should always override tech skill, this can be achieved with a hitstun increase, but no annoying mechanics that take like a year to implement into gameplay. Wavedash and DACUS are both too hard.
Strategic tech skill is still just tech skill..,being applied, strategically. Lol

As far as mechanics being difficult, it's very relative, as I was able to work wave dashing into my gameplay after a week or two, but I has to think about it when playing. After among it became muscle memory and was easy to the point where I can do it as if I was rolling. It feels now as if I'm just jumping then rolling right away since the input is so similar, however, it may not work as well for others as it did for me and vis versa. But like anything practice makes perfect.

If there are tech skills in smash, I think something along the lines of inputs of the wavedash, the use of two legitimate actions to produce a desired effect, should be the basis of it, but simplified to a certain degree.

I was thinking that maybe it could just be jump and a roll to do a wavedash, it would certainly be easier than imputing a diagonal for most people. Or maybe you can input a roll then jump to "cancel" the roll into a wavedash. Who knows maybe they can animate each characters wavedash. But this still doesn't solve the issue with wavelanding.

Eh...who knows, maybe something can work out. I'm sure Sakurai's team can implement some movement technique, considering that Namco fighting games invented wavedashing. lol

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
i meticulously pointed out just how your points were not satisfactory. they fail for reasons, and i provided those reasons. the only way for the conversation to progress is if you look at those reasons and either say a) that i (xandre) was mistaken when i said they failed because______, or b) that you (lancer) see how a point of yours fails in the way i demonstrated--after which you adjust your position. typically you do a bit of both in a conversation; it is a back and forth process in which two people climb their way to a consensus by gradually illuminated assumptions, agreeing up definitions, and pointing out fallacies. so you see that the reason i say "i still win" is that because it's as if you just walked out of the room. you abandoned the process altogether and keep trying to reset with the button labelled "opinion."

which leads us to the bigger problem: "You literally can't prove or disprove Wavedashing is a glitch." i've never even remotely suggested the contrary. see what i mean? YOU JUST SAY THINGS. you utter words and that's the extent of what you're doing. nothing beyond that. just. saying. in fact, the most substantial point i made in my first long post agrees with this point unrelentingly. i don't want to prove wavedashing to be a glitch or not because IT'S COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. i've said that like 5 times, and i've never argued with you about whether it constitutes a glitch or an exploit. NEVER. this isn't a matter of opinion--i didn't try to argue about that with you and it can be proven. if you weren't so lazy and disrespectful, you'd know that. i can hear the predictable response already. "me, disrespectful? look at you! you're rude!" i'm being a **** to you because you insist on being the bull in the china shop without giving two ****s about what people actually have to say. repeating yourself without taking care to consider the words of others is disrespectful, and "you started it," as they say. and no, you're not just "some guy on the internet." there is a reason i'm not sitting here badgering a random selection of people that happen to stroll in. you're making points (that need to be expelled from this planet altogether) in a public forum for discussion in which we evaluate each other's input--opinions and arguments alike. stop trying to black out the friction with your pedestrian "oh you're such a bully, i'm just an innocent bystander" crap. cheap diversion tactics for someone who's just trying to run his mouth about the same 2 points over and over again. you want to play football until you get hit, then you run to the sidelines crying, then immediately run back to the coach saying "put me in put me in" over and over and over again.

"Now, they don't have to make a replacement for Wavedashing. Essentially, no Wavedashing is the new Wavedashing. Wavedashing made Melee different, not better."

sentence 1: obviously. sentence 2: a bad way of rephrasing sentence 1. sentence 3: how many different people have said this how many times? like i said before, you're getting so caught up on really simple points that everyone agrees with you on and you can't move past them for some reason. you're literally going to say that again in a few days and i will be able to point back to this moment AGAIN. WTF?!?!? you really seem to like that point. ok, so do we. can you stop saying it now? please? we all know!!!!!!! different, not necessarily better!!!!! so insightful! so profound! i can list the things taking out wavedashing will do without saying "therefore it is better in," and i even gave you examples of the kinds of things that would make it ok to take it out given the type of elements that most hardcore smashers find enjoyable.

and the only thing i have to pick on is your words. i know nothing about you personally. if you want it to stop, leave or fix your words. because we're here for people's words.
I'm not saying you're picking on me or anything, it just seems like you're dragging this out and nothing is being accomplished. I repeat myself because you repeat yourself. There's two halves to this circle, after all. We rather clearly disagree on some big points and will never agree on them. I'll let you decide if you want to continue.

As for the last bit, you said they had to replace Wavedashing. If you know they don't, why say otherwise?

And I'd like to say I was a bit off on DACUSing. I didn't know that different characters had largely different timings.

xandre

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying you're picking on me or anything, it just seems like you're dragging this out and nothing is being accomplished. I repeat myself because you repeat yourself. There's two halves to this circle, after all. We rather clearly disagree on some big points and will never agree on them. I'll let you decide if you want to continue.

As for the last bit, you said they had to replace Wavedashing. If you know they don't, why say otherwise?

And I'd like to say I was a bit off on DACUSing. I didn't know that different characters had largely different timings.
1) no, i only repeat myself because you repeat yourself. this is not opinion, it is fact we can demonstrate by laying out everything that's happened. do not imply that i'm half the problem. you are all the problem because of the reasons i've said. dispute them or **** off.

2) "we rather clearly disagree..." the most heinous things you've been saying don't overtly conflict with what i've been saying, but rather demonstrate that you don't seem to understand how i agree with you. IT'S LIKE I AGREE WITH 80% OF A POINT YOU MAKE, I POINT OUT HOW IT'S NOT EXACTLY RIGHT, AND YOU THINK I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU 100%, SO YOU JUST KEEP SAYING THE SAME BASIC VERSIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

you: "that's green."
me: "well i'd say it's more of a lime, maybe even a yellow-green."
you: "that's your opinion. you obviously think the total opposite of me so we should never discuss this, and i should just be able to go on saying it's green."
two days later...
me: "even if it were green, i'm not sure it'd be entirely relevant our concerns about how it fits into this painting as a whole."
you: "but it's green, though."
me: "you should leave."
you: "we're like yin and yang, me and you."
me: "no, you're just an idiot."

3) you literally said i was "attacking" you. "i'm not saying you're picking on me or anything." rofl.

4) i never said "they have to replace wavedashing." again, you're ignoring exactly what i say and remembering a simplified, dumbed-down version of it. it's very simple. wavedashing adds depth. if you don't care about depth, you don't care if they take it out. if you do care about depth, you either want them to keep it in, or you hope that the overall product has enough depth without wavedashing--whether that is accomplished by directly compensating for things lost in the removal of wavedashing, or by some other means entirely. THIS DOES NOT = "THEY HAVE TO REPLACE WAVEDASHING," YOU ****ING MORON. READ THE WORDS.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Strategic tech skill is still just tech skill..,being applied, strategically. Lol

As far as mechanics being difficult, it's very relative, as I was able to work wave dashing into my gameplay after a week or two, but I has to think about it when playing. After among it became muscle memory and was easy to the point where I can do it as if I was rolling. It feels now as if I'm just jumping then rolling right away since the input is so similar, however, it may not work as well for others as it did for me and vis versa. But like anything practice makes perfect.

If there are tech skills in smash, I think something along the lines of inputs of the wavedash, the use of two legitimate actions to produce a desired effect, should be the basis of it, but simplified to a certain degree.

I was thinking that maybe it could just be jump and a roll to do a wavedash, it would certainly be easier than imputing a diagonal for most people. Or maybe you can input a roll then jump to "cancel" the roll into a wavedash. Who knows maybe they can animate each characters wavedash. But this still doesn't solve the issue with wavelanding.

Eh...who knows, maybe something can work out. I'm sure Sakurai's team can implement some movement technique, considering that Namco fighting games invented wavedashing. lol
Wavedashing took a really long time for me to integrate in my play during a real match, like I'd say 2-3 months, even 4 maybe. I could do it no probs during practice and such, but when in pressure, I used to just press everything simultaneously. I feel like Falco is the best character to help one master WD. His timing is so hard that once you get the hang of it, you can practically wavedash with anyone, even Bowser and Link. L-cancelling was an entirely different story, and a short one at that. My cousin told me about it someday, and I got it down just a few hours later, end of story.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Wavedashing took a really long time for me to integrate in my play during a real match, like I'd say 2-3 months, even 4 maybe. I could do it no probs during practice and such, but when in pressure, I used to just press everything simultaneously. I feel like Falco is the best character to help one master WD. His timing is so hard that once you get the hang of it, you can practically wavedash with anyone, even Bowser and Link. L-cancelling was an entirely different story, and a short one at that. My cousin told me about it someday, and I got it down just a few hours later, end of story.

When you constantly practise difficult things- everything below seems easier.

This applies to like every tech skill heavy character.

xandre

Smash Cadet
There's a lot of stuff being said and I'm discussing bits and pieces of it. I'll try to make sure to quote here and respond only stuff in quotes.

EDIT: Oh XD you're talking to someone else. Well, I'm probably kind of confusing too. I try to work around it though.

But it's not the same. DACUS has no lag (you start the charge and movement immediately). Wavedash has more than 10 frames before you actually start the charge. DACUS also lets you slide while charging. I do like the other points of your post though [hence my "like" on it].

? I'm not clear what you mean by this... it takes some practice and it's very situational, but the situations to use it always seem fairly obvious to me (just a question of use it or bait). I think you exaggerate the difficulty of implementing the DACUS - it's a KO tool and a mixup. If you want to enlighten me as to why it's hard, by all means, but... you don't clarify what this means when I reread your post and I don't agree prima facie, so we're currently stuck. Also, the fact that you spent two years practicing one use of wavedashing suggests it's very difficult to use effectively - I practiced DACUSing for like 4 hours plus playing with people and I can already throw it out when I'm looking for a KO off a whiffed attack.

Do you DACUS enough? If you're used to a character's DACUS lengths (Falco), scoring a KO with it is hardly difficult (especially BDACUS, pretty sure that's the same length every time), it's not like you can DACUS a ton of different lengths, but one wrong wavedash angle and you just upsmashed the air or behind your opponent (although Falco's sourspot makes this a fun KO move), vs simply knowing your distances and executing the DACUS. Also wavedash usmash is jump->airdodge while holding down -> upsmash, DACUS is attack while dashing -> upsmash, or cstick down to z+up on the control stick, there is less analog stick movement and (if you don't tap jump) less pressing of buttons, so unless complicated =/= hitting more buttons for a similar result, then yes actually, it is more complicated - there are even people who DACUS by just flicking the cstick down then up while running, that's even simpler.

Granted, you've practiced wavedashing well over 2 years, I haven't, so good for you. This is all opinion anyway, so if you find wavedashing simpler, keep using it, I'll stick to the DACUS in Brawl and P:M and work on wavesmashing and wavedashing, thank you.

First, I don't really care either way. Why? You've begged the question by assuming that wavedashing necessarily adds depth for me. I'm not used to it, so removing doesn't actually remove all this stuff from my gameplay, because it hasn't ever really been there. And even now, when I've started implementing more "advanced" stuff, I don't really care when I play Brawl because I'm used to what you would probably call 'limited' movement. So it wouldn't make that big a difference or remove ways to harm my opponent if it weren't in TO ME. (I said this in my last post [in capital letters] and that part was ignored... I'll make more noticeable the part people seemed to ignore).

That said, it adds depth to the game for others, so if it comes back I won't be angry or anything - just means I'll have more people who usually play Melee to play with.

Some other stuff:

You've ignore that melee wavedash mechanics necessarily also removes some approach options - a simple example is the short hop air dodge - not always effective but certain characters like Fox can make good use of it, especially vs Marth and other large sword ranges. You also make getting down from juggles much harder - maybe that's something you appreciate, but if "recovering is too easy because the other guy loses options," you create the problem "juggling is too easy because the other guy loses options" - also Brawl certainly still has edgeguarding despite not having wavedashing (it's less prominent than Melee but Diddy Kongs are definitely gimped along with Olimars, Snakes, Falcos, and MKs at least gimp or KO each other offstage despite the autosweetspots). I'm sure we could do a list of pros and cons to each kind of airdodge - wavedashing will probably come out on top, but to act like Brawl airdodge has no advantage is rather silly, and you're playing it up like anyone who thinks the brawl airdodge has benefits is stupid. (One example for the list is ledgehop airdodge - Melee you can waveland but in Brawl you can airdodge through much more safely because of how the physics engine runs - you don't pause dramatically and start falling in Brawl so there is less time to react and punish the Brawl version if your opponent has committed compared to Melee).

Also if you remove a mechanic, you're only a terrible game designer if there was never a compensation to begin with. Based on the fact that SSB64 is a playable, fun game that can be made very competitive [Brawl is too but you seem to disagree strongly], there clearly are things to compensate for wavedashing. They aren't perfect substitutes, but you've ignored the fact that the game empirically still runs and plays well and fun without wavedashing (I'm looking at Smash 64 here, trying to avoid the "Brawl sucks" diatribes). Maybe the game is "better" with wavedashing but if the designer wants to run the game a certain way and DACUS/wavedash/airdodge doesn't fit to them, it's their right to take it out (and your right to refuse to play the game).

Random note, Kie invented some trick on the ledge that lets Peach get on the level almost instantly - I'm not entirely clear what it is because I only saw another Peach using it in a matchup, but apparently there is some replacement that at least Peach can access. She can't get on the ledge like that but she can get off it pretty safely, so her getting off the ledge is easier. (It's mentioned at about 1:10, the commentator calls it "using lift"...)P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPbTWG-m3O0

If you're implying Smash 64 is a bad game, you're dearly mistaken. If you're implying that no wavedash = smash 64, that's an idiotic statement unless he removes airdodging entirely (which is one of the most popular casual mechanic, so the odds of that are extremely low) and also teching (Isai greenhouse combos too good) which is also extremely unlikely.

I don't mind the glitch too much, although I agree it definitely made Brawl take a hit, fanbase-wise (and combo-wise, although combos aren't extinct for it). But I've played Brawl enough to where I'm used to it so it's less of a big deal to me than many Melee vets.

Actually, I'd love to see it slightly re-implemented where it only applies for knockback above a certain level (I dunno, there's some scale or something for it, I read that an fmash at like 100% averages out to about 165 knockback, so maybe for blows above 160 knockback) so that you can momentum cancel the big hits but the combos stay intact (ex: you can't momentum cancel if you take less than a certain amount of knockback) because it would not only place emphasis on gimping (Can't momentum cancel MK shuttle loop at low percents) but it would also increase survivability, which I find makes the game more interesting (I find some of the most entertaining matches to be the ones where Armada is surviving to 180+% or Masha is surviving beyond 200% as Falco in Brawl). It would be an AT that adds some depth to the game without sacrificing combos (possibly make it that throws could never be momentum-cancelled, so Fox keeps his uthrow-> uair if it returns like in Melee).

Well that was a lot of stuff to say. You don't need to agree with me by any stretch but if you want me to agree with you, explaining some stuff some more (I'm mainly referring to the DACUS part), then by all means, I'll read it and think about it some more.
indeed, i've been talking to lancerstaff except for the DACUS/wavedashing paragraph and the "why it doesn't make sense for people to not care either way" bit.

1) "you're downplaying..."

look, it's pretty easy to argue that the act of doing a single wavedash is simpler than the act of doing a single DACUS, even if you don't consider having to aim a DACUS. if you really want to litigate this point, i think i could put forth a convincing argument. but as you point out, this observation doesn't really address the difficulty of implementing each technique as fully as possible into one's game. these are somewhat different issues, as you seem to know. the former regards input difficulty, the latter regards decision-making difficulty.

so yes, i'd agree that in a sense DACUS is easier to "master" overall because, technical input aside (and no, it's not really hard either), its uses are far more narrow. it doesn't take much to get to the point to know when one is certainly called for, or at least when you should take a shot with one. however, my issue with you bringing up this point how and why you did was how you compared it with wavedashing in the same terms. to categorically master wavedashing entails much more than to categorically master DACUSing, yes. you can be in the 99th percentile of some usages of wavedashing and still not be able to waveland onto a platform from underneath to chase for an air combo. however, you can't merely say that implementing DACUS is generally easier just because the greatest heights of wavedashing skill are very difficult to master--or even impossible to master, considering the fact that it is so versatile that one person's "mastery" can look very different from another's. this seems to ignore, as i stated, that the most simple implementations of wavedashing can still be incredibly useful. in fact, i think it's pretty easy to argue that it is much easier to implement the easiest uses of wavedashing than the one-ish possible implementation of DACUSing. just wavedashing every so often defensively can be incredibly useful, and is very, very easy to do--you don't even really have to think about it, and you certainly don't have to aim it or recognize an opening. if you go this deep into the analysis, you should realize that a finalized sort of "easier/harder" comparison is just more trouble than its worth.

to recapitulate: you said, "So no, DACUS isn't that hard, while wavedashing can be/is." so given what i've just said, you should be able to see now that my point is as such: your comparison here is reductive. "i pretty much agreed with you until you made this generalization," is basically what i'm saying. if you would have left it at "implementing a DACUS is pretty easy, while truly implementing wavedashing isn't," it would have been much less of an offense--i'd only have asked you to clarify what "truly implementing" entailed, maybe. you tried to take it all the way to the abstract "easy vs. hard" and created slippage.

2) "there is nothing more complicated..."

wavedashing into an upsmash is basically as hard as short-hopping and using the c-stick to do an up-air. that's all you do with your right hand. jump to c-stick. your left had just does the same motion it always does when wavedashing--slamming down l or r and pointing the stick in a direction, which is essential one hand-movement in the brain if you have any amount of practice with it. there is an argument that there is empirically more going on with a DACUS mentally in this way--even before you factor in that you have decide to DACUS, whereas with a wavedash you can just say "oh i should upsmash now" after an easy wavedash. but in terms of raw input i guess they're really close, in the final analysis--my only point is that they're different enough in input and close enough in difficulty for it to clearly be foolish to say one is much easier than the other in terms of raw input. and there isn't less analog stick movement with DACUS. you have to dash with the left stick, then you have to hit up (with z) to finish it. 2 is greater than 1 last time i checked.

3) "Granted, you've practiced wavedashing well over 2 years, I haven't, so good for you. This is all opinion anyway, so if you find wavedashing simpler, keep using it, I'll stick to the DACUS in Brawl and P:M and work on wavesmashing and wavedashing, thank you." i kinda liked you until i read this facile horse ****.

4) "one wrong wavedash angle and you just upsmashed the air or behind your opponent." what the **** are you talking about? even if this made sense as a sentence (or was factually accurate, which it isn't if i'm deciphering correctly), it would be more of your downplaying/exaggerating rhetoric. you've sacrificed accuracy for attempted persuasiveness a time or two. you point out all the little things that can go wrong with a wavedash and fail to mention the ways you can mess up a DACUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGIl27bJQM

this video outlines all the actions you can accidentally perform when failing to perform a DACUS. all of them factor into the calculation of "what if" that you're only really applying to wavedashing. there is a lot that can go wrong, as you see. yes, for wavedashing, if you accidentally push left stick too far horizontally, you will just air dodge. but you should note that this only is a risk if you're trying to do the longest wavedash possible. if you're not as confident in your accuracy with the left stick, you can always err on the side of a shorter wavedash to avoid airdodging. in fact, if i was trying to teach someone how to do a wavedash, i'd start them off at like a 45-55 degree angle. i'm just calling for a more evenhanded evaluation of how risky the inputs are. "one wrong wavedash angle and you're dead" is disingenuous and patently leading.

also, DACUS is a dash attack that locks you into an upsmash--it's a HUGE commitment (even if you always get the input right) compared to something that puts you into a body-length slide out of which you can do any action. a wavedash isn't even as risky as any smash attack on its own because of this. it doesn't lock you into anything. regardless, just go watch 1000 matches. it's pretty rare to die from a botched wavedash. most of the time, like i said, it's an SD on yoshi's because of the slanted edge (solution: don't try), or someone is just wavedash happy and catches something big in the face because they aren't thinking. also, i watched some final with mango and some other guy the other day...someone missed like 10 platform wavelands (outputting airdodges) and really didn't get punished at all for it.

5) "First, I don't really care either way."

you've missed a few marks here.

"i don't care one way or the other if they take steroids out of baseball, because I never use them."

the problem is that you're not playing against yourself in a vacuum. it would matter to you because it would have a direct impact on how others played against you and therefore how you played. so to say "it doesn't add depth for me" is false because it adds depth even if you never personally use it. the fact that you even have to think about the possibility of a wavedash adds depth to your game that you have to reckon with.

of course it is fine to say "i'd be open to a game that didn't have wavedashing in it, as well as one with wavedashing in it, and i'm not too adamant about either one," but that's very different from saying differing depths don't affect you because you never personally swim at them. i've said the former myself more than once, in fact. i care about depth because it's what makes a game, really, but i realize a game can be deep without wavedashing. i wasn't clear enough about this nuance in this one post in question because i've been saying similar things for awhile now across various other posts, so i'm sorry to have distressed you in this way, especially since you seemingly haven't read the others (not that i expect you to, or not that you necessarily should).

6) "You've ignore that melee wavedash mechanics necessarily also removes some approach options"

obviously taking out wavedashing will automatically open up some modicum of depth, as you say. other things will be possible in its absence. i have argued that that which will be lost (mostly, many combos) dwarfs these consolations. but if you combine them with a few more mechanics that compensate for what was lost, all the better.

when i said "you're a bad designer if you just cut something out without thinking about it" i wasn't speaking about anyone in particular, not even sakurai. this wasn't clear. i was just trying to address a certain mindset that is necessary to make games well that seems to be floating around everywhere. it's just like sakurai himself said, to paraphrase, "it wasn't like we were sitting there asking 'should we take wavedashing out or leave it in?'" you can't think of wavedashing as this discrete entity that should either live or die, so people who single it out and say "absolutely yes it should be in" or the contrary are really missing the point. if you're considering things like both you and i have cited that aren't "perfect substitutes" for wavedashing but operate in the space where wavedashing otherwise would, you're beyond my reproach.

7) "if you're implying smash 64 is a bad game"

i didn't say it was a bad game, i said it was a game i have played. look, smash 64 was fun and has its charms still, but it's aged. the idea is that you want to move laterally in depth or create more depth. and you certainly don't want to keep making the same game over and over and over. i would be fine if 4 was as different from all the other games as 64, melee, and brawl are from each other, though as a fan of depth i'd much prefer if it did so by taking a lateral step from something as deep as melee, rather than taking a step back towards 64 like brawl arguably did. as i've said a few times, it doesn't have to be melee. the point of my comment, then, was that if you just remove elements in chunks without adding or tweaking things, you're going to be taking steps backwards. so it was more a point about people's argumentation rather than sakurai's wherewithal to make a decent game.

if you go back and play old zeldas or marios, you realize how much you take for granted the little advancements the games have made over the years. those games were behemoths of their time, but if wii u zelda came out and had dungeons as complex as zelda 1, you'd throw it in the trash.

8) "If you're implying that no wavedash = smash 64..."

if you read what i said and that thought crossed your mind, you need to take a look in the mirror.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
You can't really compare those two until you have tried.

I'd pay money if Dacus was easy to do. Airdodging in the ground isn't suc a big deal and doesn't require as much precision as Dacus does.

Correctly implementing Wavedashing in your playstyle is another story.

And Tech skill is just a compliment to things you can already do. Options. they are good, provided they are not Dedede's Chaingrabs

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You can't really compare those two until you have tried.

I'd pay money if Dacus was easy to do. Airdodging in the ground isn't suc a big deal and doesn't require as much precision as Dacus does.

Correctly implementing Wavedashing in your playstyle is another story.

And Tech skill is just a compliment to things you can already do. Options. they are good, provided they are not Dedede's Chaingrabs
Yeah, but if Wavedash was made much easier, people could just straight into getting good and the competitive community would grow healthily.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Yeah, but if Wavedash was made much easier, people could just straight into getting good and the competitive community would grow healthily.
Wavedash Is easy.

The thing is, you can use it for MANY things. So it's hard to get used to it, specially since most people are used to... er, not wavedash.

There is only two issues with people not getting into the competitive community:

1- They are lazy, either due by thinking things are too hard when they didn't even try to do things (your case, apparently) or due to thinking the techs just really aren't necessary and they are good on their own
2- Nobody to play against. My case for example... Brazil really sucks

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Wavedash Is easy.

The thing is, you can use it for MANY things. So it's hard to get used to it, specially since most people are used to... er, not wavedash.

There is only two issues with people not getting into the competitive community:

1- They are lazy, either due by thinking things are too hard when they didn't even try to do things (your case, apparently) or due to thinking the techs just really aren't necessary and they are good on their own
2- Nobody to play against. My case for example... Brazil really sucks
Wavedash is incredibly hard, it requires finger twitching

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
1) no, i only repeat myself because you repeat yourself. this is not opinion, it is fact we can demonstrate by laying out everything that's happened. do not imply that i'm half the problem. you are all the problem because of the reasons i've said. dispute them or **** off.

2) "we rather clearly disagree..." the most heinous things you've been saying don't overtly conflict with what i've been saying, but rather demonstrate that you don't seem to understand how i agree with you. IT'S LIKE I AGREE WITH 80% OF A POINT YOU MAKE, I POINT OUT HOW IT'S NOT EXACTLY RIGHT, AND YOU THINK I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU 100%, SO YOU JUST KEEP SAYING THE SAME BASIC VERSIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

you: "that's green."
me: "well i'd say it's more of a lime, maybe even a yellow-green."
you: "that's your opinion. you obviously think the total opposite of me so we should never discuss this, and i should just be able to go on saying it's green."
two days later...
me: "even if it were green, i'm not sure it'd be entirely relevant our concerns about how it fits into this painting as a whole."
you: "but it's green, though."
me: "you should leave."
you: "we're like yin and yang, me and you."
me: "no, you're just an idiot."

3) you literally said i was "attacking" you. "i'm not saying you're picking on me or anything." rofl.

4) i never said "they have to replace wavedashing." again, you're ignoring exactly what i say and remembering a simplified, dumbed-down version of it. it's very simple. wavedashing adds depth. if you don't care about depth, you don't care if they take it out. if you do care about depth, you either want them to keep it in, or you hope that the overall product has enough depth without wavedashing--whether that is accomplished by directly compensating for things lost in the removal of wavedashing, or by some other means entirely. THIS DOES NOT = "THEY HAVE TO REPLACE WAVEDASHING," YOU ****ING MORON. READ THE WORDS.
I honestly don't see why you'd want to continue this. Me and you would be on our merry way if you weren't dragging this out, and we wouldn't be further derailing this topic either.

You keep telling me to adress things, but what? Just outright tell me already.

''Disagree on certain things.'' Nowhere does that say ''everything.''

I suppose I worded it badly. I ment that you weren't arguing with me to do me harm.

Actually, you did.
if you MUST remove it, then implement something that will account for that loss of deadliness. something like making an instant turn-around from a dash possible at all times, e.g. something like a command that makes you stick to the ground if you want while coming up from the bottom of a platform, e.g. re-imagine ledge mechanics altogether, e.g. if you just propose "oh take out wavedashing because whatever," then you'd be a terrible game designer because you'd sever a limb off the game and offer nothing to compensate. imagination, people. i've already played smash 64.
You accuse me of reading around the words, when I'm reading your exact words. Take a look: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replace ''2:to take the place of especially as a substitute or successor.'' You want a Wavedashing substitute. Let's look at what you just wrote:

It basically says ''Replace it or it'll be shallow garbage.'' when put together.

Thor

Smash Champion
I'm quoting this part first but I address all of them [I had taken the most issue with it, I'll explain why just below:]

xandre said:
2) "there is nothing more complicated..."
wavedashing into an upsmash is basically as hard as short-hopping and using the c-stick to do an up-air. that's all you do with your right hand. jump to c-stick. your left had just does the same motion it always does when wavedashing--slamming down l or r and pointing the stick in a direction, which is essential one hand-movement in the brain if you have any amount of practice with it. there is an argument that there is empirically more going on with a DACUS mentally in this way--even before you factor in that you have decide to DACUS, whereas with a wavedash you can just say "oh i should upsmash now" after an easy wavedash. but in terms of raw input i guess they're really close, in the final analysis--my only point is that they're different enough in input and close enough in difficulty for it to clearly be foolish to say one is much easier than the other in terms of raw input. and there isn't less analog stick movement with DACUS. you have to dash with the left stick, then you have to hit up (with z) to finish it. 2 is greater than 1 last time i checked.
You're deliberately twisting what I said with the part I underlined, and that leaves me VERY unhappy, but I'll refrain from insults. Here's what I actually said.:

Note this: I was irritated until I realized half the problem was miscommunication - I'm thinking of CHARGING upsmash as you slide, you're not (the bit about "c-stick up" is what tipped me off). So we're at odds moreso because I was unclear. My apologies. I'll leave most of the rest of this though because what I said applies to what I thought, with an addendum at the bottom.

Thor said:
Also wavedash usmash is jump->airdodge while holding down -> upsmash, DACUS is attack while dashing -> upsmash, or cstick down to z+up on the control stick, there is less analog stick movement and (if you don't tap jump) less pressing of buttons, so unless complicated =/= hitting more buttons for a similar result, then yes actually, it is more complicated - there are even people who DACUS by just flicking the cstick down then up while running, that's even simpler.
A DACUS is slash analog stick right + quarter circle rotation - that's one movement from neutral and two total smooth motions. A wavedash usmash is a movement plus a reset or else a rotation greater than a quarter circle unless you're a wavedash god who does the pure horizontal wavedashes, and if you reset the analog stick to neutral that's 2 movements from neutral or else what I said above, and 2 movements is greater than 1, as you put it. A wavedash ALONE is less movement (of analog stick) than a DACUS (unless you're Falco or maybe Link, then it's the same because you slap the cstick down then up) but a DACUS is inevitably less or the same amount of motion as a wavedash usmash [if charging it], because the lowest amount of movement for wavedash usmash is horizontal wavedash and quartercircel rotation.

Edited (stuff in brackets was added in): So if you just smack c-stick up to usmash, then it's about the same I guess... but charging while sliding is missed under a wavedash usmash, and DACUS certainly has a longer length (if Luigi could DACUS I guess he's the exception), which means there are still enough functional differences to merit DACUS over wavedash usmash, or wavedash usmash over DACUS if you are close enough to the opponent already.

xandre said:
1) "you're downplaying..." [some crap that I should've avoided by being clearer] to recapitulate: you said, "So no, DACUS isn't that hard, while wavedashing can be/is." so given what i've just said, you should be able to see now that my point is as such: your comparison here is reductive. "i pretty much agreed with you until you made this generalization," is basically what i'm saying. if you would have left it at "implementing a DACUS is pretty easy, while truly implementing wavedashing isn't," it would have been much less of an offense--i'd only have asked you to clarify what "truly implementing" entailed, maybe. you tried to take it all the way to the abstract "easy vs. hard" and created slippage.
This entire argument is based upon the fact I omitted a few words to simplify further and therefore lost some meaning. I should have said "using a DACUS is easy while using a wavedash isn't" and by that I mean the truly implementing. And by "truly implementing" I simply mean using it when it is advantageous to do so - a wavedash has far more uses like this and is therefore harder to know so many situations over knowing a few for a DACUS. This is in it of itself kind of vague but I think you get the picture - you spent two years implementing a single aspect of wavedashing, I mean general purpose use (i.e., your mastery plus using it for resets, tech chases, fakeouts, landing faster on platforms, wavelanding onto the stage, etc.). And in that sense it's hard not to conclude implementing a DACUS is easier because there is less to learn and react to for processing when to use a DACUS vs when and where to wavedash (assuming you can execute each technique with reasonable proficiency).

xandre said:
3) "Granted, you've practiced wavedashing well over 2 years, I haven't, so good for you. This is all opinion anyway, so if you find wavedashing simpler, keep using it, I'll stick to the DACUS in Brawl and P:M and work on wavesmashing and wavedashing, thank you." i kinda liked you until i read this facile horse ****.
I don't even... what? I'm just saying I use more DACUS than wavedashing, you...don't? Also that you're not going to convince me it's easier to wavedash then DACUS when I keep SDing while trying to grab the ledge while I'll land the dthrow->usmash off a read of my opponent's airdodge. Also I didn't mind you until this stuff plus deliberately maligning my quotes to try to make an argument (That was above, the first point). <- that was the issue with the charged vs not-charged, still irritating though that this stuff came up.

xandre said:
4) "one wrong wavedash angle and you just upsmashed the air or behind your opponent." what the **** are you talking about? even if this made sense as a sentence (or was factually accurate, which it isn't if i'm deciphering correctly), it would be more of your downplaying/exaggerating rhetoric. you've sacrificed accuracy for attempted persuasiveness a time or two. you point out all the little things that can go wrong with a wavedash and fail to mention the ways you can mess up a DACUS.
If you wavedash too far, the lag means you're behind your opponent. Too short, and you hit the air, or else you missed your opportunity and need to reset the situation (so the sentence is factually accurate, unless there is no air in SSBM which I assumed there was, maybe they don't use oxygen in this game). Wavedash has a ton of angles, I should've been clear here that BDACUS lengths are (from what I've read) all the same and a way to circumvent the issue entirely, so it's a matter of actually DACUSing, not just inputting stuff with the right angle too (although my DACUS lengths are all usually unvaried or very close, so that's part of the issue with this thing, and I'm not sure how much DACUS lengths actually vary anyway). As to the "common errors" bit, if you dsmash or upsmash because of the cstick you just suck (that's like trying to wavedash up or not even depressing the L/R buttons), dash grabs and dash attacks suck but it's not different than wavedash usmash whiff except wavedashes go less distance than a DACUS so if you mess up a DACUS your opponent has less time to punish you. The jump dair thing is also laughable like the dsmash (that's pretty terrible to fail like that), but still less punishable for most characters (it's a Link and maybe Sheik problem, but Falco don't even care) so it's not a big problem (I guess that's like fullhop airdodge, which again, if you do it they are closer and more able to punish). Wavedashing upsmash (from what I see) is thus more risky than a DACUS because you leave less space for your opponent to cover for a punish and are in lag just about as long as for a whiffed DACUS. That's the point I was making - hopefully my less exaggerated rhetoric gives you an idea as to the point I was making.

xandre said:
5) "First, I don't really care either way."

you've missed a few marks here.

"i don't care one way or the other if they take steroids out of baseball, because I never use them."

the problem is that you're not playing against yourself in a vacuum. it would matter to you because it would have a direct impact on how others played against you and therefore how you played. so to say "it doesn't add depth for me" is false because it adds depth even if you never personally use it. the fact that you even have to think about the possibility of a wavedash adds depth to your game that you have to reckon with.

of course it is fine to say "i'd be open to a game that didn't have wavedashing in it, as well as one with wavedashing in it, and i'm not too adamant about either one," but that's very different from saying differing depths don't affect you because you never personally swim at them. i've said the former myself more than once, in fact. i care about depth because it's what makes a game, really, but i realize a game can be deep without wavedashing. i wasn't clear enough about this nuance in this one post in question because i've been saying similar things for awhile now across various other posts, so i'm sorry to have distressed you in this way, especially since you seemingly haven't read the others (not that i expect you to, or not that you necessarily should).
No, I mean exactly what I said. I really don't care if it's there or not. My clarification was once again lame, but suffice to say I'll enjoy the game whether or not you can wavedash, thus I don't care.

I'll admit I didn't consider very much how it affects my opponents' options (and therefore my own), but if they have the option back I'm used to people having it, and might eventually use it myself. The depth it adds though is intangible for me (I can't directly see it, only let my character's percent display it in a negative way) so that's why it hasn't added to my personal depth (my own repertoire) but rather the depth as a whole (matches with others) which I didn't perceive.

So to sum that up, I still don't care, unless it's awful I'll play it either way (I'll buy it day 1 so I won't know it's bad until I've played it, but I will buy it because I don't trust word of mouth for video games), but I didn't realize how the depth others had affected my experience, at least not as much as I should have. So it won't impact whether I buy the game (I will, like I said ASAP), but it might affect my experience in ways I currently can't measure.

xandre said:
6) "You've ignore that melee wavedash mechanics necessarily also removes some approach options"
obviously taking out wavedashing will automatically open up some modicum of depth, as you say. other things will be possible in its absence. i have argued that that which will be lost (mostly, many combos) dwarfs these consolations. but if you combine them with a few more mechanics that compensate for what was lost, all the better.
when i said "you're a bad designer if you just cut something out without thinking about it" i wasn't speaking about anyone in particular, not even sakurai. this wasn't clear. i was just trying to address a certain mindset that is necessary to make games well that seems to be floating around everywhere. it's just like sakurai himself said, to paraphrase, "it wasn't like we were sitting there asking 'should we take wavedashing out or leave it in?'" you can't think of wavedashing as this discrete entity that should either live or die, so people who single it out and say "absolutely yes it should be in" or the contrary are really missing the point. if you're considering things like both you and i have cited that aren't "perfect substitutes" for wavedashing but operate in the space where wavedashing otherwise would, you're beyond my reproach.
I'll adress everything by just saying no real complaint here [i.e., not omit a section]. That's why I suggested the list. One thing I'll mention is that it can be hard to quantify depth, and it's possible depth appears that we otherwise would have missed with wavedashing because not wavedashing foces other options (though they aren't necessarily better, which also makes quantifying if the compensation is sufficient or more deep nigh impossible).

xandre said:
7) "if you're implying smash 64 is a bad game"
i didn't say it was a bad game, i said it was a game i have played. look, smash 64 was fun and has its charms still, but it's aged. the idea is that you want to move laterally in depth or create more depth. and you certainly don't want to keep making the same game over and over and over. i would be fine if 4 was as different from all the other games as 64, melee, and brawl are from each other, though as a fan of depth i'd much prefer if it did so by taking a lateral step from something as deep as melee, rather than taking a step back towards 64 like brawl arguably did. as i've said a few times, it doesn't have to be melee. the point of my comment, then, was that if you just remove elements in chunks without adding or tweaking things, you're going to be taking steps backwards. so it was more a point about people's argumentation rather than sakurai's wherewithal to make a decent game.
if you go back and play old zeldas or marios, you realize how much you take for granted the little advancements the games have made over the years. those games were behemoths of their time, but if wii u zelda came out and had dungeons as complex as zelda 1, you'd throw it in the trash.
8) "If you're implying that no wavedash = smash 64..."
if you read what i said and that thought crossed your mind, you need to take a look in the mirror.
I'm cool with lateral movement but a bigger cast and more balance (I'd actually much prefer it to more depth and a character even more polarizing than MK, and he wasn't actually terrible terrible except at the top). Also I have to wonder from your "making the same game over and over" if you actually then dislike PM because it's just "Melee 2.0" [I personally enjoy the game but disdain the reasons behind its making... I also like Brawl- but for the laugh value more than anything], and your statement "you just remove elements in chunks without adding or tweaking things, you're going to be taking steps backwards" is (trivially) factually incorrect, but only because of the worst mechanic ever: random tripping (or else explain to me why removing tripping without tweaking other stuff is taking a step backwards).

I haven't played Zelda but I think I get the point - we appreciate complexity in games (most of the time) and therefore less complexity makes games boring (Crash Team Racing is still an awesome game though, new graphics for it would be cool but the nostalgia is great).

Most of my issues on this point on trivial then.

Last point: I reread your post, and I'm guessing you mean "I'm not saying we need wavedashing, I'm saying add depth, more than smash 64 had or at least as much as Brawl, starting from Melee is ideal." If I'm wrong, well, I tried staring at the mirror too, and that didn't help (it was kind of boring but 5 minutes thinking about it did nothing), so some clarity would be nice. [I'm also completely serious here, I'm unclear as to what you meant unless you were saying "Add more depth please."]

EDIT: XD I just realized Brawl and Melee airdodges aren't mutually exclusive (I'm looking at you Brawl- Fox). That would actually be awesome to me to have the choice (and takes away pretty much all my potential issues with wavedashing). Too lazy to edit the rest of the post but anyone else like this idea? Also I hope you don't think I'm a piece of **** or whatever anymore xandre, but if you, that's your right to think that [that is, I hope we can reach an understanding, where we don't dislike each other - maybe that's just naïve though].

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I have no issues with tech skills as long its intuitive and/or easily makes sense. So my litmus test for tech skills are these three steps:

1. give someone (preferrably a casual) a controller and let them experiment. If they figure out their movement options then the skill automatically passes. Else go to 2.
2. Show them how to do a skill. If they look confused or ask something along the lines of ".....what" or "**** that" or "that's dumb" then the skill is stupid and fails. Else go to 3.
3. Show/tell them when and how often a skill should be used. If they give you a ****that look or say something along the lines of "**** that" or "that's dumb" the skill fails. Else the skill passes.

Why do I use these three steps? Because as fighting game players we're so used to accepting and dealing with BS that we've forgotten how to recognize it. Yes, we learned to wavedash and l cancel and dacus, but that doesnt mean it's intuitive or makes sense to everyone. We learned it because it was useful, not because it made sense. Casuals, and those who dont focus purely on how useful something is, are much more sensitive when it comes to intuitive inputs and uses.

Take L-canceling. It's useful, but should ALWAYS be done. It's unnecessarily repetitive. I mean how would people react it every move in guilty gear had to be roman canceled? What if every move in SF needed to be fadc'd to be safe? Those things would seem stupid whoudnt they....? The only reason they worked is because there were very specific conditions and limits for those techniques. The conditions for needing to do an l-cancel was "you did something in the air." If L-canceling had more specific limits and conditions like being move specific or actually had a down side (l-canceling wrong is an execution error not a downside) I'd be down with it, but as is....nah. Heck, making it automated is better that it's current state, though not better than the previous suggestion.

xandre

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't see why you'd want to continue this. Me and you would be on our merry way if you weren't dragging this out, and we wouldn't be further derailing this topic either.

You keep telling me to adress things, but what? Just outright tell me already.

''Disagree on certain things.'' Nowhere does that say ''everything.''

I suppose I worded it badly. I ment that you weren't arguing with me to do me harm.

Actually, you did.

You accuse me of reading around the words, when I'm reading your exact words. Take a look: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replace ''2:to take the place of especially as a substitute or successor.'' You want a Wavedashing substitute. Let's look at what you just wrote:

It basically says ''Replace it or it'll be shallow garbage.'' when put together.
i don't NECESSARILY want A wavedashing SUSBSTITUTE. i want a game that is interesting and challenging in its depth. wavedashing adds depth. so do other things. if someone came up to me and asked me the stupid question, "should wavedashing be replaced?" i would have to say "well, sort of, but not really. that's kind of a stupid and general way of wandering around these issues." it just isn't grammatically correct to say that making it so you can change directions at any point of a dash is "replacing" wavedashing. you might be able to say that it is replacing one of the many effects of wavedashing, but it certainly isn't just "standing in" for it equivalently.

FURTHERMORE, i blatantly state that if depth can be accounted for in other ways wholly unrelated to wavedashing or its effects, then that could potentially deliver a satisfyingly deep experience. as you quote me, "or by some other means entirely."

so no, to say that "Replace it or it'll be shallow garbage" is my position on the matter is a gross misrepresentation not only of that little quotation you provide, but also and especially of the general sense of what i've been repeating for a long time now. if citing the dictionary definition of "replace" is the best you can do...well, i guess i'm not surprised. you finally got the reading part down! next is the reading well part.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
1. give someone (preferrably a casual) a controller and let them experiment. If they figure out their movement options then the skill automatically passes. Else go to 2.
2. Show them how to do a skill. If they look confused or ask something along the lines of ".....what" or "**** that" or "that's dumb" then the skill is stupid and fails. Else go to 3.
3. Show/tell them when and how often a skill should be used. If they give you a ****that look or say something along the lines of "**** that" or "that's dumb" the skill fails. Else the skill passes.
I can kinda agree with 1, but I completely disagree with 2 and 3. I would go even as far as to say that if they do look confused, then the skill is a good one. I've played with many casuals who do not understand the point of rolling, shielding, airdodging, basically all the "easy" stuff for intermediate to high level players. Some of them even don't know the inputs for these skills, despite all my instructions and demonstrations. Does that make them dumb? No. From your point of view, practically all the tech in every Smash installment fails, because casuals wouldn't be able to understand them from the get-go. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting something.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Lol this thread is still going.

They disagree because they are casual. (no shame in that) dat's it.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Totally agree with Empyrean. Under this logic Ness's recovery is a bad tech and needs to be replaced because nearly every casual I know is like "Ness's recovery is dumb, because it makes no sense to hit yourself with your own projectile to shoot off in another direction" after I explain to them that Ness's recovery works like that. Although if you don't explain the concept of "punish your opponent for whiffs" then shielding might seem weird because they're not sure why to shield because to them it just means they didn't get hit, not that they have an opportunity to do damage. Plenty of times in messing around I'll charge a smash facing the wrong way just to see how they react, and they insist on jab combos instead of even just hitting the c-stick (which many of them think is dumb, so that's a bad tech too). Then they wonder why I survive past 150% when they usually die around 130% if I'm playing with any semblance of seriousness (usually I mess around with silent lasers or QAC or Yoshi's eggs or whatever).

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
I'm quoting this part first but I address all of them [I had taken the most issue with it, I'll explain why just below:]

You're deliberately twisting what I said with the part I underlined, and that leaves me VERY unhappy, but I'll refrain from insults. Here's what I actually said.:

Note this: I was irritated until I realized half the problem was miscommunication - I'm thinking of CHARGING upsmash as you slide, you're not (the bit about "c-stick up" is what tipped me off). So we're at odds moreso because I was unclear. My apologies. I'll leave most of the rest of this though because what I said applies to what I thought, with an addendum at the bottom.

A DACUS is slash analog stick right + quarter circle rotation - that's one movement from neutral and two total smooth motions. A wavedash usmash is a movement plus a reset or else a rotation greater than a quarter circle unless you're a wavedash god who does the pure horizontal wavedashes, and if you reset the analog stick to neutral that's 2 movements from neutral or else what I said above, and 2 movements is greater than 1, as you put it. A wavedash ALONE is less movement (of analog stick) than a DACUS (unless you're Falco or maybe Link, then it's the same because you slap the cstick down then up) but a DACUS is inevitably less or the same amount of motion as a wavedash usmash [if charging it], because the lowest amount of movement for wavedash usmash is horizontal wavedash and quartercircel rotation.

Edited (stuff in brackets was added in): So if you just smack c-stick up to usmash, then it's about the same I guess... but charging while sliding is missed under a wavedash usmash, and DACUS certainly has a longer length (if Luigi could DACUS I guess he's the exception), which means there are still enough functional differences to merit DACUS over wavedash usmash, or wavedash usmash over DACUS if you are close enough to the opponent already.

This entire argument is based upon the fact I omitted a few words to simplify further and therefore lost some meaning. I should have said "using a DACUS is easy while using a wavedash isn't" and by that I mean the truly implementing. And by "truly implementing" I simply mean using it when it is advantageous to do so - a wavedash has far more uses like this and is therefore harder to know so many situations over knowing a few for a DACUS. This is in it of itself kind of vague but I think you get the picture - you spent two years implementing a single aspect of wavedashing, I mean general purpose use (i.e., your mastery plus using it for resets, tech chases, fakeouts, landing faster on platforms, wavelanding onto the stage, etc.). And in that sense it's hard not to conclude implementing a DACUS is easier because there is less to learn and react to for processing when to use a DACUS vs when and where to wavedash (assuming you can execute each technique with reasonable proficiency).

I don't even... what? I'm just saying I use more DACUS than wavedashing, you...don't? Also that you're not going to convince me it's easier to wavedash then DACUS when I keep SDing while trying to grab the ledge while I'll land the dthrow->usmash off a read of my opponent's airdodge. Also I didn't mind you until this stuff plus deliberately maligning my quotes to try to make an argument (That was above, the first point). <- that was the issue with the charged vs not-charged, still irritating though that this stuff came up.

If you wavedash too far, the lag means you're behind your opponent. Too short, and you hit the air, or else you missed your opportunity and need to reset the situation (so the sentence is factually accurate, unless there is no air in SSBM which I assumed there was, maybe they don't use oxygen in this game). Wavedash has a ton of angles, I should've been clear here that BDACUS lengths are (from what I've read) all the same and a way to circumvent the issue entirely, so it's a matter of actually DACUSing, not just inputting stuff with the right angle too (although my DACUS lengths are all usually unvaried or very close, so that's part of the issue with this thing, and I'm not sure how much DACUS lengths actually vary anyway). As to the "common errors" bit, if you dsmash or upsmash because of the cstick you just suck (that's like trying to wavedash up or not even depressing the L/R buttons), dash grabs and dash attacks suck but it's not different than wavedash usmash whiff except wavedashes go less distance than a DACUS so if you mess up a DACUS your opponent has less time to punish you. The jump dair thing is also laughable like the dsmash (that's pretty terrible to fail like that), but still less punishable for most characters (it's a Link and maybe Sheik problem, but Falco don't even care) so it's not a big problem (I guess that's like fullhop airdodge, which again, if you do it they are closer and more able to punish). Wavedashing upsmash (from what I see) is thus more risky than a DACUS because you leave less space for your opponent to cover for a punish and are in lag just about as long as for a whiffed DACUS. That's the point I was making - hopefully my less exaggerated rhetoric gives you an idea as to the point I was making.

No, I mean exactly what I said. I really don't care if it's there or not. My clarification was once again lame, but suffice to say I'll enjoy the game whether or not you can wavedash, thus I don't care.

I'll admit I didn't consider very much how it affects my opponents' options (and therefore my own), but if they have the option back I'm used to people having it, and might eventually use it myself. The depth it adds though is intangible for me (I can't directly see it, only let my character's percent display it in a negative way) so that's why it hasn't added to my personal depth (my own repertoire) but rather the depth as a whole (matches with others) which I didn't perceive.

So to sum that up, I still don't care, unless it's awful I'll play it either way (I'll buy it day 1 so I won't know it's bad until I've played it, but I will buy it because I don't trust word of mouth for video games), but I didn't realize how the depth others had affected my experience, at least not as much as I should have. So it won't impact whether I buy the game (I will, like I said ASAP), but it might affect my experience in ways I currently can't measure.

I'll adress everything by just saying no real complaint here [i.e., not omit a section]. That's why I suggested the list. One thing I'll mention is that it can be hard to quantify depth, and it's possible depth appears that we otherwise would have missed with wavedashing because not wavedashing foces other options (though they aren't necessarily better, which also makes quantifying if the compensation is sufficient or more deep nigh impossible).

I'm cool with lateral movement but a bigger cast and more balance (I'd actually much prefer it to more depth and a character even more polarizing than MK, and he wasn't actually terrible terrible except at the top). Also I have to wonder from your "making the same game over and over" if you actually then dislike PM because it's just "Melee 2.0" [I personally enjoy the game but disdain the reasons behind its making... I also like Brawl- but for the laugh value more than anything], and your statement "you just remove elements in chunks without adding or tweaking things, you're going to be taking steps backwards" is (trivially) factually incorrect, but only because of the worst mechanic ever: random tripping (or else explain to me why removing tripping without tweaking other stuff is taking a step backwards).

I haven't played Zelda but I think I get the point - we appreciate complexity in games (most of the time) and therefore less complexity makes games boring (Crash Team Racing is still an awesome game though, new graphics for it would be cool but the nostalgia is great).

Most of my issues on this point on trivial then.

Last point: I reread your post, and I'm guessing you mean "I'm not saying we need wavedashing, I'm saying add depth, more than smash 64 had or at least as much as Brawl, starting from Melee is ideal." If I'm wrong, well, I tried staring at the mirror too, and that didn't help (it was kind of boring but 5 minutes thinking about it did nothing), so some clarity would be nice. [I'm also completely serious here, I'm unclear as to what you meant unless you were saying "Add more depth please."]

EDIT: XD I just realized Brawl and Melee airdodges aren't mutually exclusive (I'm looking at you Brawl- Fox). That would actually be awesome to me to have the choice (and takes away pretty much all my potential issues with wavedashing). Too lazy to edit the rest of the post but anyone else like this idea? Also I hope you don't think I'm a piece of **** or whatever anymore xandre, but if you, that's your right to think that [that is, I hope we can reach an understanding, where we don't dislike each other - maybe that's just naïve though].
i don't think you're a piece of ****. i just thought that one thing you said was particularly whiny/boring/irrelevant. "good for you" and "thank you" was your little fit. despite it, i merely went from liking you to not hating you. in any case, i wouldn't care much about what i thought of you.

a few points:

1) "This entire argument is based upon the fact I omitted a few words to simplify further and therefore lost some meaning." correct, which is something you should almost never do because it makes you say things you don't mean. only the most talented writers can reduce a multifaceted, complex issue into a phrase of a few words without committing an offense of some sort. it's often impossible to do. which is why i (believe i) said it's more trouble than it's worth to abstract it that far. we don't need to be calling pizza "better" than hamburgers just so we can have something to say in less than 3 seconds if need be. no longer useful words at that point.

2) the "facile ****" thing, again, was just about the whining and "opinion" backpedaling. i wasn't saying you're off your rocker because you think wavedashing is hard, DACUSing is easy, and you're going to continue practicing one kinda and being good at the other. (to be fair, you probably should have gathered that from the other things i was saying...but i guess that's why you were shocked when i came out of nowhere with "facile horse ****.") obviously someone can find something easy, even if it's very hard for other people. and vice versa. notice though that you're the one who has violated this observation the most, because you've said both "you'll never convince me DACUSing is harder" and "DACUS isn't hard but wavedashing is." all i've attempted to do is to curb the extremity of these claims. when i took issue with this in specific ways, you responded in kind and our positions have done nothing but converge (with the exception of #5-6). so, same issue with abstraction, as in #1.

2) you basically just rephrased what i said about the "truly implementing" issue, so fine.

3) you basically just rephrased what i said about the "i don't care one way or the other" issue, so again, fine.

4) "I reread your post, and I'm guessing you mean "I'm not saying we need wavedashing, I'm saying add depth, more than smash 64 had or at least as much as Brawl, starting from Melee is ideal."

close enough. i didn't really say the italicized/bold part, but that happens to be close to my opinion.

5) "if you dsmash or upsmash because of the cstick you just suck"

i could argue in this exact same way: "if you hit the analog stick all the way to the right instead of anywhere from like [5-10 degrees down from right] to [completely down], causing you to air dodge, you just suck." i can also say all the ways to mess up a wavedash are just "not a big deal." there have been a couple of times where you preemptively strike against a certain type of bad argument only to use it yourself.

6) "except wavedashes go less distance than a DACUS so if you mess up a DACUS your opponent has less time to punish you"

this obviously depends on where you end up after one in relation to your opponent. yes, if you DACUS away from them while standing right next to them, you will be further away than if you wavedashed away from them, lol. but you can obviously DACUS towards someone and miss right next to them. and again, this doesn't cover all of punishability.

not an exhaustive reply.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I can kinda agree with 1, but I completely disagree with 2 and 3. I would go even as far as to say that if they do look confused, then the skill is a good one. I've played with many casuals who do not understand the point of rolling, shielding, airdodging, basically all the "easy" stuff for intermediate to high level players. Some of them even don't know the inputs for these skills, despite all my instructions and demonstrations. Does that make them dumb? No. From your point of view, practically all the tech in every Smash installment fails, because casuals wouldn't be able to understand them from the get-go. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting something.
I have no idea how well you actually explained/showed them nor do I know how fast or game savvy your pupils were, so I cant comment on their difficulty learning the game, but my statement was a generalization; and yes there was a misinterpretation so I'll try to explain better. There are two main traits of a good skill design: intuitiveness and understandability. All skills should have at least one of those. Intuitive things can be learned by just experimenting (attacking, blocking, specials, etc). Understandability (making sense) no so much because it is separated into multiple subcategories: is the output useful, does the output make sense for input (simultaneous button combinations counted as different input), in what situations will it be used, how often should it be used, and how to do it (i.e. execution/timing difficulty).

People focus so much on the usefulness and technical difficulty that they ignore the other factors. If you look at other games, their skills/mechanics typically have 5 (no less than 4) easy/simple attributes of the 6 I listed.
(EDIT: I cant count lol)

Wavedashing (3/6): output is useful, input doesnt make sense for the output (jumping and dodging into the ground just to dash, physics be damned, doesnt make sense), use for defense or safe offensive movement, used fairly often, weird input and strict timing

lCanceling(3/6): output is useful, input doesnt make sense (press block when you land after an attack to lag less), used after (mostly shorthopped) arial attacks, do it every time you do an air attack (a whole lot), easy input(single button) with strict timing.

Now lets look at SSFIV.
fuerte infinite (4/6): useful, input makes sense(normal attack->special, repeat), used to stun/do considerable damage to opponent, not used too often, difficult input and strict timing

exFADC (focus attack dash cancel)(4/6): useful, input makes sense(do a focus attack and then dash), do it to make a move safe or extend a combo or (pre-USFIV) keep offensive pressure, used moderately(cost meter), intermediate input(attack->two buttons->dash) and intermediate timing (varies between characters).

1-frame links(4/6): useful, input makes sense(same inputs and use as normal/special attacks), used for longer(more damaging/stunning) combos, not used often(1-frame link combos are uncommon), intermediate->difficult execution and strict timing.

And to be honest the execution difficulties are a nature of the game, but I added it anyway since it can still be difficult.
TL;DR version. Smash added additional barriers to high level play when compared to other fighting games.

Totally agree with Empyrean. Under this logic Ness's recovery is a bad tech and needs to be replaced because nearly every casual I know is like "Ness's recovery is dumb, because it makes no sense to hit yourself with your own projectile to shoot off in another direction" after I explain to them that Ness's recovery works like that. Although if you don't explain the concept of "punish your opponent for whiffs" then shielding might seem weird because they're not sure why to shield because to them it just means they didn't get hit, not that they have an opportunity to do damage. Plenty of times in messing around I'll charge a smash facing the wrong way just to see how they react, and they insist on jab combos instead of even just hitting the c-stick (which many of them think is dumb, so that's a bad tech too). Then they wonder why I survive past 150% when they usually die around 130% if I'm playing with any semblance of seriousness (usually I mess around with silent lasers or QAC or Yoshi's eggs or whatever).

I wasnt talking about special moves. I was specifically talking about tech skills: advanced techniques/skills in universal game mechanics. In fact I was just talking about two specific skills.

but I'll do Ness for fun:

PK Thunder II (4/6): useful, input makes partial sense (up b's are generally recoveries, but hitting onself is uncommon), used to recover or attack, not used often, intermediate execution(some people have difficulty aiming/drawing circles) and easy timing.

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
but i think he's at least right in the idea that a tech move can't just be any ridiculous old thing. it needs to seem reasonable. if wavedashing also made you invisible and required 3 more buttons to perform, it would taint the game.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Not exhaustive? That's cool, there's a lot to say. I'd also rather not make enemies, I have enough of those at school.

I think some of this is kind of redundant, but whatever. Too lazy to fix it and I try to go by stuff in order.

xandre said:
notice though that you're the one who has violated this observation the most, because you've said both "you'll never convince me DACUSing is harder" and "DACUS isn't hard but wavedashing is."
That's due to the original misquote (implementing vs simply being). Whatever though. I might eventually think DACUS is harder, but because I get good at wavedashing, not external arguments, was the point. And like I said, other half = omitting important words (i.e., implementing). I'm also pretty sure I didn't say "isn't hard and wavedashing is" but "isn't that hard and wavedashing is/can be" so it is for me and can be for some, while the theory of a DACUS is much simpler. Semantics though.

We agree, we agree, we agree. Cool.

Not a direct quote, but a guess as to what you meant. But apparently I'm close enough. Good to know.

I see a difference between hitting an analog stick the completely wrong way (180 degrees the wrong way) and not pressing it completely the right way, but that's probably semantics. There's also the fact that wavedashing has a lot of acceptable angles but they all produce different results, a DACUS cstick input has a lot of acceptable angles and they all have the same results making getting it close much more sufficient than in a wavedash; in other words, you have to be off by a significantly wider margin to miss a DACUS than you do a wavedash usmash in terms of hitting your directions on the c-stick and analog stick, so if you miss a DACUS because you usmash you'd definitively miss a wavedash, but if the cstick goes horizontal you still get the dash attack while you don't get the wavedash. The "not a big deal" is a range issue, if you're wavedashing you're probably in a lot closer quarters than a DACUS (some of the longer wavedashs like Luigi excepted, of course) or else looking for resets, whereas in a DACUS you're almost never in close quarters, so the penalty for missing is rarely higher but may sometimes be much lower.

Also the dsmash is because you didn't do a dash. The number of times I see someone fail to dash is extremely low, and that's the issue that's involved when you dsmash (n00bs dash when they want to at will 99+% of the time...). And dsmash actually for some characters has low enough lag (and you won't move much) so it's not very punishable, although that's related to the punishing issue. If you can't press the analog stick hard enough to dash, well... you can't press it hard enough to smash either, so you're not gonna be landing an upsmash with anything BUT a cstick at that point. I was going somewhere with this and lost it, but... failing to dash is a pretty saddening way to mess up a DACUS such that you just dsmash.

Even if I take back the "if you can't do a dash you're bad at this game" statement, if we list out the likely ranges and the mistakes that results from wavedash whiffs vs DACUS whiffs, punishment looks lower generally by a little bit (not exhaustive):
Wavedash upsmash whiffs
Airdodge wrong way
punishment = high[er], if AD away, punishment = lost stage control (usually) and lower damage/combo starter (may lead to more)
Full hop air dodge
If close, punishment = high[er], if far, punishment = lost stage control/combo (usually) and lower damage/combo starter (may lead to more)
Wavedash too short
punishment = high (cstick to the face while your upsmash misses)
Wavedash too long
punishment = variable (sourspot Falco usmash anyone? if not, probably a smash to punish or at least a combo-starter/grab)
average: about mid-range, a little on the high side
DACUS whiffs
Dsmash
punishment = low[er] - you didn't move much and they're not too close, if not in a combo from a throw or attack punishment is higher
Usmash
punishment = low/mid - if it's a hyphen smash/hard read the punishment is high, if it's standing still it's usually low to non-existent (if from a throw or attack) averages out to low/mid
jump dair
punishment = mid - you made the distance shorter and are attacking and whiffing - it's usually some damage unless you're Falco or a Wario autocancel, heavy damage if you're Link.
Dash attack
punishment = low/mid - you made the distance shorter and are attacking, but dash attacks don't have too much lag...
DACUS too short
Punishment = high - same as wavedash too short
DACUS too long
Punishment = variable, usually lower - a lot of DACUS have multiple hitbox, release it early enough and you avoid the issue entirely (slide full length but not full length while charging), if you miss by a lot then you'll eat a large punishment, but the ability to instant release means you can also go for an early DACUS and if you miss put some extra distance between you and other guy to reduce chance to punish a little
average: somewhat low, edging mid-range

I guess I avoid the last issue by DACUSing when I know I'll either overshoot (and release the charge earlier than I'd like) or else land where I want, but I do see the point of the last argument. I was making more of a percentage claim (the odds of messing up this way are not too high compared to the other ways, and so if you look at punishment for whiffing DACUS vs whiffing wavedash usmash, the amount of punishment overall is likely to be less because of increased distance between you and opponent on average if the DACUS was appropriate over the wavedash usmash, since a DACUS starts farther from the opponent than a wavedash usmash). [See also chart for my take on things... if you dispute them by all means go ahead, I'm very willing to listen.]

My argument isn't "you go farther so you're not punished," the argument is "when you want to DACUS you start farther from the opponent so if you whiff they have to cover more ground to come get you from where you started." I'm not sure if that wasn't clear or you made a reduction but my argument isn't "if you whiff you end up farther away because DACUS moves you farther" it's "you started farther to begin with and you didn't really move." [Also shown in the chart]

I've lost track of where this started off, but I think we can a DACUS does go farther than a wavedash upsmash (for pretty much every character with a DACUS, especially Sheik) so DACUS has uses that wavedash upsmash doesn't fully replace (and obviously DACUSing could never replace wavedashing).

I don't think this is exhaustive either, it might be. I have homework now, and a road trip tomorrow, so... I'll be checking back like Sunday?

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I have no idea how well you actually explained/showed them nor do I know how fast or game savvy your pupils were, so I cant comment on their difficulty learning the game, but my statement was a generalization; and yes there was a misinterpretation so I'll try to explain better. There are two main traits of a good skill design: intuitiveness and understandability. All skills should have at least one of those. Intuitive things can be learned by just experimenting (attacking, blocking, specials, etc). Understandability (making sense) no so much because it is separated into multiple subcategories: is the output useful, does the output make sense for input (simultaneous button combinations counted as different input), in what situations will it be used, how often should it be used, and how to do it (i.e. execution/timing difficulty).

People focus so much on the usefulness and technical difficulty that they ignore the other factors. If you look at other games, their skills/mechanics typically have 5 (no less than 4) easy/simple attributes of the 6 I listed.
(EDIT: I cant count lol)

Wavedashing (4/6): output is useful, input doesnt make sense for the output (jumping and dodging into the ground just to dash, physics be damned, doesnt make sense), use for defense or safe offensive movement, used fairly often, weird input and strict timing

lCanceling(4/6): output is useful, input doesnt make sense (press block when you land after an attack to lag less), used after (mostly shorthopped) arial attacks, do it every time you do an air attack (a whole lot), easy input(single button) with strict timing.

Now lets look at SSFIV.
fuerte infinite (4/6): useful, input makes sense(normal attack->special, repeat), used to stun/do considerable damage to opponent, not used too often, difficult input and strict timing

exFADC (focus attack dash cancel)(4/6): useful, input makes sense(do a focus attack and then dash), do it to make a move safe or extend a combo or (pre-USFIV) keep offensive pressure, used moderately(cost meter), intermediate input(attack->two buttons->dash) and intermediate timing (varies between characters).

1-frame links(4/6): useful, input makes sense(same inputs and use as normal/special attacks), used for longer(more damaging/stunning) combos, not used often(1-frame link combos are uncommon), intermediate->difficult execution and strict timing.

And to be honest the execution difficulties are a nature of the game, but I added it anyway since it can still be difficult.
TL;DR version. Smash added additional barriers to high level play when compared to other fighting games.

I wasnt talking about special moves. I was specifically talking about tech skills: advanced techniques/skills in universal game mechanics. In fact I was just talking about two specific skills.

but I'll do Ness for fun:

PK Thunder II (4/6): useful, input makes partial sense (up b's are generally recoveries, but hitting onself is uncommon), used to recover or attack, not used often, intermediate execution(some people have difficulty aiming/drawing circles) and easy timing.
I see, I do understand your reasoning. And while I agree that skills should preferably not be overly complicated, I do think that having a hard-to-input tech is better than none at all. However, I believe that your method of evaluating techs works best for intermediate players. As they tend to usually have some knowledge, and clearly they strive to get better, they will be more prone to understanding the listed attributes of mechanics, and their opinion of what input makes sense, etc. has the most weight compared to the other classes, whereas a casual with no prior experience with fighters will have a hard time with any technique, unless of course he decides to get better and learn.

A casual should not be able to jump in and, in just a few hours of play, know about/have seen/understand all the techs present in the game. There are certain things he needs to get better at at first (in Smash, for example, rolling, shielding, recovering) before learning the tougher, more rewarding skills (such as shorthopping, teching, DI), and by this point, he won't be a casual anymore, he will have become a dedicated player with motivation to get better. Keep in mind that this is only my opinion of how Smash (or any fighter) should be, and that, whether intentionally or not, previous entries have more or less followed a similar approach to skill progression.

Top Bottom