• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i honestly wish isabelle's move set was something of the phoenix wright variety since she's a secretary and seeing her go fishing and having outdoors activity moves still seems out of character for her

I'll still be playing her but gotta admit as A PW UMVC3 Player I'm still disappointed

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i honestly wish isabelle's move set was something of the phoenix wright variety since she's a secretary and seeing her go fishing and having outdoors activity moves still seems out of character for her

I'll still be playing her but gotta admit as A PW UMVC3 Player I'm still disappointed
It would've been a good opportunity for that if she wasn't a semi-clone. Most of us expected her to be completely an echo, so while I was slightly hoping for more or different after we knew she was her own character, we weren't going to get too much more with her. (and she's pretty cool, anyway :))

There's disappointed fans of daisy too, for her being just an echo. Personally I'm ok with how things turned out for both. But maybe in the next smash they'll be more unique.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've seen similar concepts in other fighting games, so it would have been kind of cool if she had an Ordinance mechanic. Imagine if she had a Shulk esque neutral special where she could decide abnormal rules for the match. An ordinance that declares her opponents smash attacks to be slightly weaker, or an ordinance to give her a slight damage buffs below a certain damage threshold, or maybe an ordinance that allows her to pull a random item out of a pool (to ensure there's nothing too crazy that could dramatically and unequivocally change a match.). Although Shulk doesn't just get straight buffs either, does he? His monado arts have a cost to counteract his buffs. Something like that could be cool. Isabelle uses ordinances to change the rules of an entire match, at increased risk to herself. Maybe have ordinances like putting an extra 30 seconds on the matches timer, but at a permanent knockback buff to an opponent for the remainder of the match, and she can only use the time increase every minute. Or maybe an ordinance like Bayonetta's final smash, where she must reach a certain damage percent on an opponent to drop even more damage on them, or she takes the damage she dealt herself if she fails to get her opponent above a certain percent.

Obviously the idea could be refined, and maybe something like that would be a bit too complicated for most casual smash players.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

I guess it could be to avoid overlapping if Phoenix Wright gets in. :p

But I kid. Well, not about him getting in, but the overlap dealio.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've seen similar concepts in other fighting games, so it would have been kind of cool if she had an Ordinance mechanic. Imagine if she had a Shulk esque neutral special where she could decide abnormal rules for the match. An ordinance that declares her opponents smash attacks to be slightly weaker, or an ordinance to give her a slight damage buffs below a certain damage threshold, or maybe an ordinance that allows her to pull a random item out of a pool (to ensure there's nothing too crazy that could dramatically and unequivocally change a match.). Although Shulk doesn't just get straight buffs either, does he? His monado arts have a cost to counteract his buffs. Something like that could be cool. Isabelle uses ordinances to change the rules of an entire match, at increased risk to herself. Maybe have ordinances like putting an extra 30 seconds on the matches timer, but at a permanent knockback buff to an opponent for the remainder of the match, and she can only use the time increase every minute. Or maybe an ordinance like Bayonetta's final smash, where she must reach a certain damage percent on an opponent to drop even more damage on them, or she takes the damage she dealt herself if she fails to get her opponent above a certain percent.

Obviously the idea could be refined, and maybe something like that would be a bit too complicated for most casual smash players.
This sounds more fitting for a Final Fantasy Tactics character than Isabelle, to be honest... you're basically describing Jagds.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Having thought about it, I kind of like the 'outdoors' theme she has. It's like.. the assistant is getting a chance to go out there and enjoy herself or something :)
But still wouldve been cool if she had a few other things that fit what she's more known with. Her up smash is interesting, at least. But I do think how she is grew on me pretty easily :)

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman

Can't help but agree. Honestly, the most disappointing thing about Isabelle to me is the fact that she still has the slingshot. I dunno, it just seems a bit too.... bratty? For Isabelle's character I mean. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I do wish that her FAir and BAir was something else... like sneezing the way Phoenix does in MvC perhaps, it would fit with the Sneezing Emotion in AC after all. Oh well, I still like the way she looks a whole lot more than Villager in any case.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think people are forgetting isabelle's a trap style character because i keep seeing this picture of incineroar catching her in a backbreaker and people are acting like that's gonna be something that'll happen...

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
people online have started to really hate isabelle fans due to the "Don't Hurt/Most Protect" meme and one site i go to has started spamming the image of incineroar using a backbreaker on isabelle as a sort of counter-meme to that

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
people online have started to really hate isabelle fans due to the "Don't Hurt/Most Protect" meme and on site i go to have started spamming the image of incineroar using a backbreaker on isabelle as a sort of counter-meme to that
isabelle's too cute to hate for real. it's just retaliation. dont worry 'bout it, get on with your day :)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm not worried it's just annoying I've seen that incineroar pic too many times...(and a lot of them forget isabelle can just zone out incineroar due to him being a grappler)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not worried it's just annoying I've seen that incineroar pic too many times...(and a lot of them forget isabelle can just zone out incineroar due to him being a grappler)
Yeh sometimes groups of people do annoying things :p I don't know what you can do besides ignore it.

ama☆

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but Isabelle seems to have the same pink alternate outfit twice. Does anybody else have that or is it just me? Lol

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
How’s everyone like playing Isabelle so far?

The fishing pole is exactly how I wanted it to be and is probably one of my all time favorite moves. I love trying to pull people in to gyroid mines or doing risky off-stage grabs. Only thing I'm having trouble with Isabelle is finding good kill moves, I feel like I can rack up damage but I have a moderately hard time securing a kill.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How’s everyone like playing Isabelle so far?

The fishing pole is exactly how I wanted it to be and is probably one of my all time favorite moves. I love trying to pull people in to gyroid mines or doing risky off-stage grabs. Only thing I'm having trouble with Isabelle is finding good kill moves, I feel like I can rack up damage but I have a moderately hard time securing a kill.
Down smash is quick and super strong. Close range bair seems pretty good. Turnips are good too.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Down smash is quick and super strong. Close range bair seems pretty good. Turnips are good too.
Yeah I’ve been practicing some more and the bucket seems like to be my go to kill move now.

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but Isabelle seems to have the same pink alternate outfit twice. Does anybody else have that or is it just me? Lol
One is more light purple than pink but they still look very similar to each other.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think they're meant to reference both Pelly and Phyllis. Bit of a waste to have 2 almost identical colours but what can ya do.

Has anyone found a use for jab yet? It's a rather lacking move and I can't seem to find a good use for it. It's too slow to combo into any other attack reliably.

Folax

Smash Rookie
I think they're meant to reference both Pelly and Phyllis. Bit of a waste to have 2 almost identical colours but what can ya do.

Has anyone found a use for jab yet? It's a rather lacking move and I can't seem to find a good use for it. It's too slow to combo into any other attack reliably.
It honestly seems to have no use other than interrupting attacks, and maybe baiting an attack.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
hell i think isabelle just has to dominate the opponent by tricking them into going over the gyroid mine and then catching them with a few well placed fishing rod shots before she can even think of getting in close

that's why whenever I'm forced into a close range battle with a speedy rushdown character I'm speechless more so if they can just blow up my gyroid mine and bypass my traps

Isabelle has to screw with the opponent and frustrate them to the point where making mistakes becomes the norm for them

however if the opponent can just take out the traps and rush you down....the question becomes what do you do?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Has anybody found a use for Isabelle's upsmash? I'm struggling to punish characters for being above me without having to jump and risk getting punished myself. The upsmash doesn't seem to have a very good hitbox or kill potential, am I just using it incorrectly? No clue how this move is supposed to work.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Has anybody found a use for Isabelle's upsmash? I'm struggling to punish characters for being above me without having to jump and risk getting punished myself. The upsmash doesn't seem to have a very good hitbox or kill potential, am I just using it incorrectly? No clue how this move is supposed to work.
Isn't it a reflector?

danktank

Smash Rookie
Is there an active Isabelle discord? I tried joining through the link in the original post but it is expired

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Isn't it a reflector?
I havent found good uses for it that other moves cant do, down smash and up air seem better.

That's the first i hear that it could reflect. can someone verify that? It might still have uses anyway, I just havent found good one yet myself.

Last edited:

Folax

Smash Rookie
I havent found good uses for it that other moves cant do, down smash and up air seem better.

That's the first i hear that it could reflect. can someone verify that? It might still have uses anyway, I just havent found good one yet myself.
Just checked, and no it doesn't reflect sadly.

It's probably useless, but Isabelle can use her pocket grab to cancel Samus's grab.

It's probably useless, but Isabelle can use her pocket grab to cancel Samus's grab.
It also seems to work on Toon Links, which probably means it works on all tether grabs.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Just checked, and no it doesn't reflect sadly.
My mistake then... I must have worn a reflecting spirit during that battle againt the Star Rod then. I am not very attentive to the ones I equip. Sorry D:

If so then the move isn't all that good... the thing has a hitbox so ridiculously small

Folax

Smash Rookie
My mistake then... I must have worn a reflecting spirit during that battle againt the Star Rod then. I am not very attentive to the ones I equip. Sorry D:

If so then the move isn't all that good... the thing has a hitbox so ridiculously small
Yeah in all honesty it sucks lol But I still love the little pupper. Just wish it was like two little signs that she would hold up. Something to hit from both sides would be a huge improvement.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Pocket has invincibility from around frame 5 to 22ish (tested on training with invincibility on and frame by frame). This means it can go through anything, attacks, grabs, obviously is just takes projectiles. Villager's should be the same seeing as how it had invincibility in Sm4sh as well. My Smash Corner even made a video about it.
Could prove useful in Ultimate since characters only get 1 airdodge.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pocket has invincibility from around frame 5 to 22ish (tested on training with invincibility on and frame by frame). This means it can go through anything, attacks, grabs, obviously is just takes projectiles. Villager's should be the same seeing as how it had invincibility in Sm4sh as well. My Smash Corner even made a video about it.
Could prove useful in Ultimate since characters only get 1 airdodge.
That's great, i wonder if it could be used to block stuff in the air

Also, Folax Folax , you're supposed to 'edit' your posts rather than post again after one of your own posts.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Isabelle is an absolute blast to play! Her fishing rod and lloid trap are so much fun to use, especially when playing with friends. Her taunts are so adorable yet infuriating and the victory animation where she waves to the lloid rocket as it flies away had me cracking up. I do wish she had a few more visual differences and the fruit corporated into her moveset, but overall I'm really happy with her. I can't get enough of this character!

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
As of right now she's my favorite character to play as in this game!

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Is there an active Isabelle discord? I tried joining through the link in the original post but it is expired
^Seconded.

I want to add her to my secondaries but it's going really really poorly so far.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
isabelle is a really fun character and definitely on the short list of characters im considering for a main but i get the impression that shes not gonna be a super-good character unless she gets some buffs

mostly its that i dont really know how to kill with her reliably. her smash attacks are difficult to land and it feels like more often than not im killing well past 160% with whatever random safe move i throw out

regardless, i think she's a lot of fun to play as, and adorable too!

Top Bottom