• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the "abate" a useless technique

odinNJ

Smash Lord
thats what i assumed. always nice to have videos of stuff though

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
its not a useless technique... you can use the fireball to cover their doublejump, then smack them.
vudu did that to my pichu awhile ago and it made me sad .-.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Been messing around with this. You can get a lot of really strange speed/momentum using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mxPfG1PRpM

You can use the top platform to quickly get from one side of the stage to the other. Decent for edgeguarding, also good at just generally confusing your opponent i guess, it looks strange and is pretty safe since it gets you to the ledge or you can WD back onto the stage.

The 2nd version of it in my video I find very useful. Its a little hard to do, you really have to focus on perfect timing of the WD on the platform to get full momentum. Essentially you go flying under the opposite platform while shooting a fireball that hits at platform level. Hit a Falcon with that move last night, the trajectory put me right under the spot where the fireball hit, making for an extremely easy followup aerial.

Abate

Smash Journeyman
While this is flattering, I'd like everyone to know that I did not claim this and I practiced it knowing it was called the "Vududash"

Although I do tend to go for terribly risky off stage kills with it I give vudujin all credit :)

Max?

Smash Champion
While this is flattering, I'd like everyone to know that I did not claim this and I practiced it knowing it was called the "Vududash"

Although I do tend to go for terribly risky off stage kills with it I give vudujin all credit :)
Also useful for saving your team mate

odinNJ

Smash Lord
The post was very clear. Doesn't mean you can take something that already has a name and just assign it a new one.

I can't "discover" gravity and name it Pakman Force.
yes but i didnt mean that i was renaming it, this was before i knew that it had a name. the point was that it wasnt abate's fault, it was MINE, i didnt know that it had a name, and im sorry. k got that across. good.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I first saw it done in 08 when I first met Nicknyte.

Later, I found some obscure weegee vids from 07/08 of a lesser known player using it on the plats on PS.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
This is totally the forbidden technique. The only difference is that it is not on a platform, its on the stage edge.

Its forbidden because no one in their right mind would attempt this unless they were confident in coming back to the stage successfully.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I've actually been using this for many years. On spacies charge up an UpB on ground level, or using sideB on ground level, use this. Fireball hits em, they drop, and you're already off the stage to follow up. That's about as much as I've had to use it for, though.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Come on its obviously called the Vududash because vudujin was the first to utilize that move. Although it was used before him, it is rightfully named a Vududash.

I miss Vudu. May we Misifire and Vududash in his honor.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I think you may be underestimating it. Do it from edge as your opponent is recovering and hit them immediately after the fireball hits them. I call it the dream killer.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
I'll pop in to say that I actually discovered the vududash independently while playing with momentum from wavedashes on platforms, although it was only very recently (less than a year and a half ago for sure) that I had ever tried, then was disappointed but not surprised to learn it already had a name.

Vududash is not too hard to do nublet06, and while OP said it's useless initially, plenty of people pointed out that it's actually incredibly useful. Sometimes it's the quickest way to get off stage from center platform, and you can use it to rush out for an edgeguard. I have yet to consistently use it well, but hopefully practice makes perfect. Basically start a wavedash at high speed (really shallow angle) from one end of a platform to another and as soon as the end lag from the wavedash ends, input a fireball. Apparently when doing special moves, Luigi and possibly other characters forget to recognize the edges of grounds. From some experimenting I found that it's possible to do this from even the bottom ground of a stage, input an aerial, and then if you're lucky/skilled/abate/vudujin, you can use the rising cyclone and a double jump to make it back to ledge, even from way far out. That's just a really ballsy technique, and probably not one that anyone without full confidence in their mashing should attempt in a serious match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom