• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Signia

Smash Lord
Ryan what UC are u trying to go to?
I applied to UCI, UCR, and UCSB, but I'm not getting my hopes up. My transfer GPA is like 2.75, which is below average for engineering majors. I should be ok for CSUs though

Kira-

Smash Champion
I played 1 game of HoN, and having played DotA, HoN, and LoL now (and therefore having ultimate mastery and understanding of everything in the world), I have decided to carefully articulate my initial thoughts of playing HoN below:

"OMG ITS LIKE IM ETERNALLY ZOOMED IN"
"WTF HOW DO I BUY ITEMS UGH EVERY1 IS LVL 3 ALREADY IM STILL AT FOUNTAIN"
"ROFL I RUN FAST"
"WHOA THIS MAP IS BIG"
"LOL IM OWNING IM SO PRO"
"WHERE IS THE RIVER WTF"
"THE MINIMAP IS PURPOSELY HARD TO READ
"LOL I KILLED SOMEONE AT LVL 4 AND I DIDNT EVEN LEVEL ANY SKILLS BC U CANT EVEN TELL U LEVELED
"LAST HITTING IS IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS GAME"
"LITERALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING"
"UGH I DIED 7 TIMES IN A ROW IM OUT

In conclusion, HoN is not user-friendly. And not in the good way. Like, I was instantly able to own peoples in league. It was intuitive and fun. In HoN i literally have no idea what is happening and the minimap looks like those hidden 3D pictures where you have to unfocus your eyes

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Hon is soo fuuun after you get past all the flaming and constant *****ing by the other team.
I'm adding you junk.

StringTape is my ID.

Signia

Smash Lord
That's exactly how I felt first playing HoN! I thought it was just because it's all new. There's just a lot of **** you have to know. And when you don't know the enemy's abilities, cooldowns, mana costs, range, or anything it's completely unpredictable. It was hard even though most of the heros are very similar to DotA heroes.

LoL is more intuitive to play? Literally everything would be new though, even the way towers and pushing work and the flow of different stages of the game.

Really, the "MOBA" genre tests game knowledge more than anything. Basic execution is nothing too difficult, it's like MMO PvP and Starcraft at the same time (Warcraft 3 Hero control). The rest of the game is just situational awareness and an optimization game for managing shopping and item builds.

Early game is different though. Feels almost like a fighting game except you're mainly poking and getting hits on the creeps until a teammate sneaks up on your opponent for a gank. I wish the whole game were like that, that's why I like 2v2 so much.

So what separates pros from casuals is situational awareness and decision making (like when to attack and when to run away) that comes from experience, and the ability to last hit and deny.

JDM

Smash Champion
He was gonna play pyro but the guy he was filling in for showed up.

We get to play another terribad team on Friday and then face the r/trees team next week. That match should be recorded and commentated on later.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I don't think anyone from Irvine drives >_>

Best bet is to ask someone who is driving from farther away to pick you up on the way. (Like sung or lovage or something)

Jun.

Smash Lord
No, to play LoL at a decently high level you need to know all the champs, spells, abilities, items, and cooldowns also. The only difference is that you can click around in LoL and not feed all game since people can't tower dive and the game moves slower.

Every dota player looks at LoL like the Brawl of the genre.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
dec 10th

who is free?

matt and i are going to ffa for a tourny then coming back

but before that we are gonna watch el clasico (real madrid v barcelona)

so we will leave after the game and return to irvine after i get knocked out

or i get a lot of casuals in since last time they took forever

maybe argentine food again?

it's actually one dec. 11th

they put the wrong date lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
Ah, I see.
LMAO

That's exactly how I felt first playing HoN! I thought it was just because it's all new. There's just a lot of **** you have to know. And when you don't know the enemy's abilities, cooldowns, mana costs, range, or anything it's completely unpredictable. It was hard even though most of the heros are very similar to DotA heroes.

LoL is more intuitive to play? Literally everything would be new though, even the way towers and pushing work and the flow of different stages of the game.

Really, the "MOBA" genre tests game knowledge more than anything. Basic execution is nothing too difficult, it's like MMO PvP and Starcraft at the same time (Warcraft 3 Hero control). The rest of the game is just situational awareness and an optimization game for managing shopping and item builds.

Early game is different though. Feels almost like a fighting game except you're mainly poking and getting hits on the creeps until a teammate sneaks up on your opponent for a gank. I wish the whole game were like that, that's why I like 2v2 so much.

So what separates pros from casuals is situational awareness and decision making (like when to attack and when to run away) that comes from experience, and the ability to last hit and deny.
I agree, basically it's all decision-making and less tech skill (reaction is still big honestly), except you forgot teamwork is the most obvious thing that is overlooked. Teamwork is way different in league than in smash for example, it would take 100x longer to get good teamwork down in league than in melee. For example (there are many more but heres one), understanding strengths and weaknesses of team comps takes a long time to understand. It's not as simple as, Fox does damage while Peach survives and disrupts. There are a lot of strategies to beat each kind of comp. And within each category of comp there are many variables bc there are multiple champions that can fulfill multiple roles

But I was instantly able to stomp ppl in League because of how good everything was set up even though I had no idea what the other champions were doing. Like I had no idea what to buy or what was even in the jungle but the tooltips and stuff like that were very clear and that made it so just figuring out what to do wasn't as hard. The Moba learning curve is still there, it's just easier to understand your own champion. It's like in HoN you have to learn, how to learn, how to learn. Instead of league you know what to do but just have to put time into it

Every dota player looks at LoL like the Brawl of the genre.
Yup, that's what I thought for a long time, I would play it and bash it at the same time lol. But now I realize how good it is.. a lot of old dota/hon players who tried out LoL have changed their minds, and of course a lot of the top players now were former dota/hon players and they say they would never go back.

You could say SF4, MvC3, and Starcraft 2 are also "brawlites" of their predecessors, but they are still incredibly good and FUN games that made eSports more popular. I won't argue that there is more mechanics in any of the newer games, but that does not make them bad by any means.

Also... nothing is ever as bad as Brawl. Not even close baybeeeeee

ComboFest

Smash Lord
LOL "Not even close Baybee" That guy has the most hilarious commentary. Dota 2 is not as fantastic as i thought it would be. Maybe i am lagging every game but Dota 2 feels really heavy compared to Hon. It feels slower (which it is) and the heroes all feels sluggish. The delay Dota 2 has is around .1 Millisecond after you click on a spot on the map, which might not seem like a lot, but after playing hon with no delay at all, it just feels weird and playing it will take time to get used too.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Dota was always slower than HoN, but I don't think there is a delay at all. Its just that the attack animations / spell animations are much more apparent for balancing issues. For example: ranged heroes by design should have more animation delay due to them having a ranged attack but for some reason in HoN, heroes like DS and Pyro have animations that are way too fast and they shut down melee heroes in lane way too easily. Spell animations are also too fast in HoN like in the case of Pestilence who has essentially an instant AOE stun while Slardar still maintains the delay on his stun which promotes better placements instead of spamming skills.

Don't forget that dota has no obligation to be like HoN or LoL at all. Its HoN and LoL that basically copied everything about Dota, especially HoN. HoN was great at first when all the heroes were basically Dota heroes but if you noticed, the game went to balls after they tried creating it into its own game. Just shows that the developers didn't really have a good sense of hero creation/balancing and of course they wouldn't since it wasn't a game they designed but merely a clone.

Jun.

Smash Lord
compared to Dota yea. It was fine earlier but when it became free it just became wack as hell. Weird heroes that have abilities that don't really synergize, terrible community, and a dev team with no direction.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Also... nothing is ever as bad as Brawl. Not even close baybeeeeee
this is like the most important statement ever

whenever people say something is the brawl of something, it's just so wrong

SC2, MVC3, LoL etc all maybe have been made more user friendly/"easier", but all still were made to be popular competitive games

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've been watching a lot of 9B videos lately and it almost wants to make me play Brawl again. I was seriously contemplating practicing and entering Brawl at Mike's upcoming tourney, but I realized I left my Brawl disc at my home in Claremont a while ago. Speaking of Mike's tourney, does anybody plan on going to it? I'd like to attend.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I thought HoN started to suck because the management sucked? Like they were being extremely unprofessional and stuff, I saw one of the posts where an admin basically trash talks another player for leaving HoN, telling him "maybe if your [insert hero] didn't get stomped in lane you would have stayed" but with more cussing

Also lots of people asked for rebalancing and they ignored all of them? correct me if i'm wrong

I mean LoL has introduced like 9 OP heroes in a row now, I doubt that's the sole reason why HoN went downhill

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I've been watching a lot of 9B videos lately and it almost wants to make me play Brawl again. I was seriously contemplating practicing and entering Brawl at Mike's upcoming tourney, but I realized I left my Brawl disc at my home in Claremont a while ago. Speaking of Mike's tourney, does anybody plan on going to it? I'd like to attend.
I looked up 9B after reading this, and the very first result is him vs rain, where the match is decided by Rain tripping at the end and getting 0 to death grab comboed.

Brawl sucks

ComboFest

Smash Lord
I looked up 9B after reading this, and the very first result is him vs rain, where the match is decided by Rain tripping at the end and getting 0 to death grab comboed.

Brawl sucks
After reading this i looked up 9B and i can confirm that rain tripped and got 0 to death grab comboed.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
due to association I read matt's post as

Brawl FEELS like a pair of well endowed 18 year old twin asian girls are gently stroking my ****.

Top Bottom