• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
gif images of all 6 main ponies walking in a line

edit: i'm like 75% sure i'm actually going to be in riverside for the next two days. sorry to anyone who was planning on seeing me.

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
I'll be in Irvine on Tuesday in the afternoon, and I'd rather not return home when traffic is really heavy. This would be convenient to play smash with you guys if you're interested.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i can't come since i have other plans

i was able to find my beach volleyball

so next time we should try to play that

Signia

Smash Lord
holy **** waking up is hard

ill be there in a couple hours, anyone there yet?

iRTuan

Smash Journeyman
Today was fun.

I'm so amazing. Beating people at SF4 on my first day playing. Well...rounds. Never games...BUT ROUNDS NONETHELESS. I feel amazing.

DJMirror

Smash Master
Also Signia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLXa9ykRyw&feature=channel_video_title

Subcribe to this channel if you wanna know (It's currently working it's way to all the cast in this game)

Do not learn Neo Cancel Combos. It's very very pointless because Neo Max (Think of Ultra) uses 3 bars instead of 2 (you only use 2 in KOF XI) and there are some characters that can win certain match ups/have way better options without using Ultra like Raiden.
A good example would be like this guy Shen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQgoRtTYlA&feature=channel_video_title

Just learn Drive Cancel/HD Cancel combos/No meters/no drive meter combos

Since you wanna see a tournament match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6R6unZ5h3k&feature=relmfu

Reynald is on the right and Mr. KOF is on the left.

This was a tournament for the last day of Arcade Infinity

those will be your bnb for almost all the characters

iRTuan

Smash Journeyman
Shiet, Paul, I just spent like, 300 dollars at AX my parents aren't going to let me go to an amusement park.

Signia

Smash Lord
Jason I'm not gonna learn anything from watching combo videos until I actually play with the game. Combo videos are the least helpful thing to look at before knowing anything about a game, now that I think about it. Combos are not very interesting to me especially I know how hard they are and what the player had to do in order to land the first hit on the opponent.

First things I need to know are the basic mechanics like how many buttons are used, names of buttons/inputs, the combo SYSTEM (like how combos work), and guard crushing, tag system, meter, and comeback mechanics -- how the game works on a basic level.

Then I need to see movelists... I need to see every character and every move in the game. [Aside: I learned VF5 very quickly from going through movelists, understanding common "rules" governing attacks. Lows are -frames on hit, mid circulars are -14 punishable, fastest mids and combo starting highs are i14. This was a HUGE problem when I was learning Tekken, with 40 long movelists to go through which were full of useless moves and long strings that you have to know the sequence of or else you can abused to hell. The move properties felt pretty random too, but it being pretty similar to SCIV and VF in a lot ways helped. I eventually gave up on learning everything in Tekken since I barely like that game anyway] I gotta know what everyone can do, and its better if I choose my main or team after seeing all the characters.

THEN I watch match videos, but only ones with my character and team. Here I'm trying to learn how my character is played and how that differs based on the matchup. After a few match videos I'll look at special tricks the character has and frame data on community sites and analyze the choices players make. If I still haven't touched the game at this point, then I learn combos. Even then it's really better to wait... it's hard to remember them until you are familiar with the moves and mechanics.

yeah, sorry, my posts are too long. I'm not free on thursday but I'm down for non-smash events

Top Bottom