• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 1 DK

Smash Apprentice
A marth is always in the final though. A fox isnt. Tier lists are ******** anyways.

Tiers are only ******** if you think they are a ranking system of how good the characters actually are. Tiers are based on tournament results, that's why DK is high tier in Japan, because one of their best players is a DK player. If everyone went to tournaments and placed high with Mewtwo, he would not be the lowest ranked character in the tiers.

Aesir

Smash Master
A marth is always in the final though. A fox isnt. Tier lists are ******** anyways.
I addressed that in my second part. but fact of the matter is fox's tend to get farther then marths. hence why you see more fox's in the top 8 but marth always wins.

M2k just knows that match up like the back of his hand anyway so its not to surprising. >_>

Binx

Smash Master
Marth is getting an upswing in play and Fox has remained streadily one of if not the most used character. You can't judge a tier list based on what people play the most, it has to be based on what tactics are dominating the largest tournaments. PC Chris can beat almost everyone with his Fox, M2K can beat almost everyone with his Marth, KDJ can beat almost everyone with his Sheik. M2K counter picks Falcon with Fox, PC counter picks Peach with Marth. Thats the only thing you can base Tiers off is match ups, anything else other than that is inaccurate because player skill becomes a huge deal.

Think of it this way, Peach has a ton of advantages in countering IC grabs and seperating them, the reason she is a counter is because of these insanely effective tactics. Fox has an advantage vs almost every character because of his speed, the only characters he has trouble against really is Marth cause of range and Falco because Falco's lasers reduce his speed to a reasonable level. Grabs play a huge role in almost every match up. So does gimping, Fox owns characters like Falcon because of low percent kills off the stage.

If you take 2 characters, 2 people who know about them and discover which character is easier to win with then you know who has the advantage. The reason I word it this way is because EVERY single time you get hit is because you made a mistake or miss-predicted (a mistake also). If a Marth grabs you its because you didnt spot dodge, or you jumped to avoid something or you missed an attack or something. So if Marth has many ways of pressuring you into a ledge and he forces you to act and you dont do something very unexpected odds are you will be grabbed, after this grab you are usually fairly easy to predict again else you are at least recoving and still in a defensive position, Marth can put almost all characters in this situation.

Tier lists ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Creative players will discover effective tactics for every match up, this takes time and sometimes can be very random and it can stay very under ground for a long time, when very effective tactics are created the tiers can change, Marth players do double retreating fairs now, it leaves him very safe and allows him to maintain good spacing against almost all characters. He has definately moved up in Tiers. This tier list is no longer accurate. Who should be where is debatable because we dont have the best at every character in the world in one room testing tactics against eachother to know for sure. But from recent tournament results you can definately see a lack of Falco, who cares about the top 20? Falco is easy to play and you can get by against a majority of players with good tech skill alone. Falco does not deserve second place, he isn't that good anymore.

~Binx

Number 1 DK

Smash Apprentice
Marth is getting an upswing in play and Fox has remained streadily one of if not the most used character. You can't judge a tier list based on what people play the most, it has to be based on what tactics are dominating the largest tournaments. PC Chris can beat almost everyone with his Fox, M2K can beat almost everyone with his Marth, KDJ can beat almost everyone with his Sheik. M2K counter picks Falcon with Fox, PC counter picks Peach with Marth. Thats the only thing you can base Tiers off is match ups, anything else other than that is inaccurate because player skill becomes a huge deal.

Think of it this way, Peach has a ton of advantages in countering IC grabs and seperating them, the reason she is a counter is because of these insanely effective tactics. Fox has an advantage vs almost every character because of his speed, the only characters he has trouble against really is Marth cause of range and Falco because Falco's lasers reduce his speed to a reasonable level. Grabs play a huge role in almost every match up. So does gimping, Fox owns characters like Falcon because of low percent kills off the stage.

If you take 2 characters, 2 people who know about them and discover which character is easier to win with then you know who has the advantage. The reason I word it this way is because EVERY single time you get hit is because you made a mistake or miss-predicted (a mistake also). If a Marth grabs you its because you didnt spot dodge, or you jumped to avoid something or you missed an attack or something. So if Marth has many ways of pressuring you into a ledge and he forces you to act and you dont do something very unexpected odds are you will be grabbed, after this grab you are usually fairly easy to predict again else you are at least recoving and still in a defensive position, Marth can put almost all characters in this situation.

Tier lists ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Creative players will discover effective tactics for every match up, this takes time and sometimes can be very random and it can stay very under ground for a long time, when very effective tactics are created the tiers can change, Marth players do double retreating fairs now, it leaves him very safe and allows him to maintain good spacing against almost all characters. He has definately moved up in Tiers. This tier list is no longer accurate. Who should be where is debatable because we dont have the best at every character in the world in one room testing tactics against eachother to know for sure. But from recent tournament results you can definately see a lack of Falco, who cares about the top 20? Falco is easy to play and you can get by against a majority of players with good tech skill alone. Falco does not deserve second place, he isn't that good anymore.

~Binx

Falco will always be good enought to hold 2nd. If you think people have found a counter for Falco's SHL, Dair, and Dtilt, then let me know. He is ranked 2nd becuase there is no counter for him, and there never will be a truly effective one.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Falco will always be good enought to hold 2nd. If you think people have found a counter for Falco's SHL, Dair, and Dtilt, then let me know. He is ranked 2nd becuase there is no counter for him, and there never will be a truly effective one.
Down tilt?! LOL that's a good enough counter to your argument.

But I'll continue for fun.

Marth suffices as a counter to falco in so many ways. With keen focus and some practice you can power shield his shl very easily, and marth's grab combos lead into simple and easy edge guards so well it's ********. Also, Marth can DI out of Falco's shine combos pretty easily. The match up is A LOT more work for falco than for marth.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
I know >_> thats one person though, it lacks consistency you don't see as many marths in the top 10 then you do foxs thats my point.

But if you want to argue who wins the most, then yeah marth should be above fox on who wins the most tourneys. because m2k always win with marth.
Ken just won Evo World with Marth.

And yes, being that Marth wins the most would put him on top of the TIER LIST.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Ken just won Evo World with Marth.

And yes, being that Marth wins the most would put him on top of the TIER LIST.
Down tilt?! LOL that's a good enough counter to your argument.

But I'll continue for fun.

Marth is suffices as a counter to falco in so many ways. With keen focus and some practice you can power shield his shl very easily, and marth's grab combos lead into simple and easy edge guards so well it's ********. Also, Marth can DI out of Falco's shine combos pretty easily. The match up is A LOT more work for falco than for marth.
Finally, people that agree with me. I think I got bashed a few weeks ago for saying Marth for top tier. He isn't as a sexy as a good fox or falco player, but just because he doesn't have a lot of cool tricks doesn't mean he isn't awesome.
TIPPAH!

Brookman

Smash Hero
Simplicity is key to success. People see fox and falco videos and think they have to play lightning quick, but really, they need to be played the exact same way as marth. Well, fox does at least, falco sucks.

Binx

Smash Master
don't bring evo world into this, while your point is true. the first matches were best of 1 seriously wtf? >_>
Pretty dumb lol.

@ brookman - I am glad someone else realizes that Falco isn't very good

@ newb who's name I can't remember - Falco's Pillar can be stopped by a well timed grab, his counter is Marth and Ice Climbers and Peach too. Marth can COUNTER LASERS OMG, also one powershield at close range (is not that hard my friend can do it like 80%) and its a guaranteed grab which is probably death or edgegaurd which might as well be death against falco. ICs can dash dance and have nana take the laser and grab for a nearly inescable dthrow dair or wobble KO. Peach can float above SH laser height and come down whenever with a ridiculously low lag attack followed by grabs dsmashes or whatever, one grab here leads to a dead falco.

Dtilt can be stopped by ANYTHING cause it isn't good unless you are over 100% light and can't DI.

Cort

Apple Head
Actually, you could agree to a best of 3 but M2K didn't know. He also wanted to strike Dreamland but the match started abruptly and he didn't care to ban a stage.

If Ken was in M2K's spot the same thing would have happened to him (except Ken actually lost a SET to Mango in Marth vs Jiggs while M2K lost a single match vs Mango in Sheik vs Jiggs)

Either way, a Marth would have won.

Brookman

Smash Hero
@ brookman - I am glad someone else realizes that Falco isn't very good

@ newb who's name I can't remember - Falco's Pillar can be stopped by a well timed grab, his counter is Marth and Ice Climbers and Peach too. Marth can COUNTER LASERS OMG, also one powershield at close range (is not that hard my friend can do it like 80%) and its a guaranteed grab which is probably death or edgegaurd which might as well be death against falco. ICs can dash dance and have nana take the laser and grab for a nearly inescable dthrow dair or wobble KO. Peach can float above SH laser height and come down whenever with a ridiculously low lag attack followed by grabs dsmashes or whatever, one grab here leads to a dead falco.

Dtilt can be stopped by ANYTHING cause it isn't good unless you are over 100% light and can't DI.
I think falco is ****ing fantastic, he really just requires absolute precision, playing falco is more of a chore than anything.

Falco's pillar is stupid. IC's and peach don't COUNTER falco, especially not ICs, peach...eh. You make it sound like falco NEEDS to shl to win, OMG THEY NULLIFY TEH SHLERSZES ?!? COUNTERED!!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I admit that Falco needs to be 3rd or 4th, but saying he's not good is just ignorance. And pillaring isn't worthless, people who pillar are worthless. You don't just do the whole SHFFLd Dair Shine repeat, throw in some lasers and grabs and maybe jump over and bair.

also Brookman you said Fox said? I hope you're not serious, seriously...

Eci4

Smash Ace
I agree, and furthermore, I believe tournaments should be 26 player rrs with the top seeded player using Mewtwo, and the worst seeded player using fox. All other characters will be chosen in this manner.

am I doing it right?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
yes

furthermore we should play in single button mode so we can only use the control stick and A.

Hellooo, this is Super Smash Bros, not Super L-Cancel Bros!

Girl

Smash Apprentice
It would be awesome suddenly one of the bottom tier characters jumped to top because of some new, imba, discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom