• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
AlphaZealot said:
The tier list is a measure of how characters stack up in tournament play according to the current metagame.

So, no, character potential has nothing to do with the list, at least in the sense that you are trying to predict how a character will evolve to be played a year from now.

The list is just a current representation of how things play out on the tournament scene as a result of the metagame. Falco's game has been evolving over the last year and as a result we have seen Falco shoot up a few notches. Fox's game has undergone that same evolution. Meanwhile very little has been added to Sheik's metagame. Chu Dat started a revolution with Ice Climbers, but it was slow to catch on, which is why the previous list has the Ice Climbers lower than this new list. The new list actually takes into account that other people are playing the Ice Climbers, not just Chu Dat (meep, azn lep, among a few others).

This list is the RESULT of tournament play. Keep that in mind. Many people seem to be saying that this list will influence people, while it is really the opposite way around, the list is influenced by the competitive community. On the noncompetitve newby level the tier list may seem to be counter to logic or just a popularity contest, but it really isn't. Certain characters are played more frequently than other characters because they have more going for them.
This is the first thing I've ever seen in this thread that I absolutely 100% agree with. :colorful:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Slow down before you post, Mood. If you looked at the Top 25 placings for just FC and OC3 alone, you'll have noticed there were no Ganondorfs. Even if there were a Ganondorf, it would most likely only be 1, and ChuDat's Ice Climbers still take the cake over that.

And yes, Ganon would go under Samus because of players like Hugs and Phanna placing well over the recent months in their regions. There hasn't been any serious expansion with Ganondorf in singles play for a while, and the only real hype coming from Ganondorf was Linguini's performance during a crew battle.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
eddie doesn't play i presume anymore

what happened to joe bushman?

linguini better step it up

true about the ICs

what about the reason why doc, mario, and jiggs are all higher on the tier list...even though they are way less used in tournaments

omni just ***** this thread...
...pretty much

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
How bout this, since no one is getting much anywhere.

Moonwalking Tier List.

Amazing
Captain Falcon

Less Amazing
Link
Ganondorf
Young Link

Losers.
Everyone else.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
that should be

amazing
falcon

not as amazing
y. link
link

ight
ganon
mewtwo
yoshi

losers
everyone else

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
In each section, the characters are in no order, cause its to close to call.

Top tier:
Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik

high tier:
Peach, Falcon, ice climbers

highish tier:
Samus, Doc, Mario, Ganon, Jiggs

middle tier:
Link, DK, Luigi, Y. Link, Pikachu

low tier:
Roy, Yoshi, G&W, Ness, Zelda

Horrid tier:
Mewtwo, Bowser, Kirby, Pichu

mood4food77

Smash Hero
HAHAHAAHA

i'm guessing you've been on gfaqs for other games

no more tier list posting...we all seemed to get yelled at

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i was a gfaqer first too...

i know who they are too, i was a complete n00b then, i got tired of the n00bs

i got yelled at for posting the new tier list on their site first...saying it was completely false

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Because most gfaqers can't stand "their" character placing so low or in the wrong place on the tier list. Unless they play Fox and up-B spam. Then they would start saying Fox is the best because of his up-B.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
90% of the GameFAQs SSBM board plays Smash just like the rest of us here at SWF, but they just make a lot of silly posts and joke around a lot. That's just the general nature of GameFAQs. A lot of them play competitive smash and post on Smashboards, and they are quick to shut down any scrub that makes a "Wavedashing is an exploit and I hate all the morons who use it" thread (or "topic" on GF).

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to disagree that the tier is based on just tournament placings. If you think about it, it doesnt make complete sense. You're skipping a step. If it was just based on tournament placings then we would have no idea where most of them would be placed on the tier list since nobody uses them in tournament play.

The first step to the tier list is character matchups according to the current metagame. Based upon how a character does against everyone else determines relatively where they are on the tier list.

By this point you have a general idea how high or low a character should be on the tier list, but at this point its still a little cloudy.

THIS is where tournament placings come into play. Tournament results give a much clearer image of who goes where on the tier list. This is the reason there is always such controversy about whos above who on the lower half of the tier list, because those characters are not played enough in tournaments to give a clear picture.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
RAPTOR HAWK

haven't heard from you in a whlie

i was saying that in my post...then omni yelled at me

cause just based on tournament placement is biased, that just bases it off of our skill with each character

why should marth be number one now when ken was the most dominant marth ever and he was never above 3 (meaning marth)

btw...IKE LOOKS SICK

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike is proof that a pretty boy can be hardcore and look like a total god

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Ike is beast.

Just wondering...is there any point in arguing about the tier list when it's set in stone and there's not going to be a new one ever? I mean Melee is coming to a close, pros have retired, etc...

It seems like we just keep going around in an endless loop in this thread :dizzy:

No offense to anyone who frequents this thread, but sometimes I think it would've been better if this thread were closed after the first post.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i do too

but that would piss off the mods with the amount of threads being made too...

also, what fun would this be if there was no conflict

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Ike is beast.

Just wondering...is there any point in arguing about the tier list when it's set in stone and there's not going to be a new one ever? I mean Melee is coming to a close, pros have retired, etc...

It seems like we just keep going around in an endless loop in this thread :dizzy:

No offense to anyone who frequents this thread, but sometimes I think it would've been better if this thread were closed after the first post.
Hell no 56k...

half of my posts are like, in this thread

Thank you! Tier list thread!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
XD

I guess this thread is good for allowing people to blow off steam...but this thread seems to follow a pattern that I can't quite place my finger on. I just keep getting deja vu in this thread every few months...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
That's because people have nothing to talk about aside from repeating what is already said. Which means they should do something, like find someone to play... :)

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Slow down before you post, Mood. If you looked at the Top 25 placings for just FC and OC3 alone, you'll have noticed there were no Ganondorfs. Even if there were a Ganondorf, it would most likely only be 1, and ChuDat's Ice Climbers still take the cake over that.

And yes, Ganon would go under Samus because of players like Hugs and Phanna placing well over the recent months in their regions. There hasn't been any serious expansion with Ganondorf in singles play for a while, and the only real hype coming from Ganondorf was Linguini's performance during a crew battle.
LOL @ Phana.

No offense Phanna, but you're not good.

Florida trash talk.

But seriously, he's not.

90% of the GameFAQs SSBM board plays Smash just like the rest of us here at SWF, but they just make a lot of silly posts and joke around a lot. That's just the general nature of GameFAQs. A lot of them play competitive smash and post on Smashboards, and they are quick to shut down any scrub that makes a "Wavedashing is an exploit and I hate all the morons who use it" thread (or "topic" on GF).
I can tell 100% that you are a gamefaqers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom