• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 0C2 Zero Challenge Video Thread - DVD COMPLETE, ORDER NOW!!!

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmmm

I was looking through my matchez on youtube.com and i came across this ~

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kY5bm7OlSZ4

Itz from OC2.
it seems like people dont realize that we sincerely asked people not to post matches. Its not like its really our lost, but it is a communities lost. Everyone who spent their hard earn money for this dvd bought this dvd to support the people who made it meaning us and allowing us to bringing it to them. Now if people rip matches put it online that means everyone who spent their money buying these matches will be ripped off because someone who didnt buy it still gets the benefits.

I mean its a good dvd with lots of matches. Why would you want to share it with everyone who doesnt really care who you are and just want to see matches.

Im not pissed , just suprised people want to share these matches with people they dont know. For everyone who bought the dvd I hope your enjoying those matches and once again thanks for the support. WE will send the rest of the dvds out when they are done and ordered. Also if you bought by check please send your checks out so far its been a week and ive only received 2 checks.

mog87

Smash Ace
I have a problem, the DVD case I received was empty, possible it was tampered with by the post office or maybe the dvd was just accidentally forgot, but either way I have no DVD just a case. So I was wondering who should I speak to, to get my copy resent?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
it seems like people dont realize that we sincerely asked people not to post matches. Its not like its really our lost, but it is a communities lost. Everyone who spent their hard earn money for this dvd bought this dvd to support the people who made it meaning us and allowing us to bringing it to them. Now if people rip matches put it online that means everyone who spent their money buying these matches will be ripped off because someone who didnt buy it still gets the benefits.

I mean its a good dvd with lots of matches. Why would you want to share it with everyone who doesnt really care who you are and just want to see matches.

Im not pissed , just suprised people want to share these matches with people they dont know. For everyone who bought the dvd I hope your enjoying those matches and once again thanks for the support. WE will send the rest of the dvds out when they are done and ordered. Also if you bought by check please send your checks out so far its been a week and ive only received 2 checks.
Okaytime to start hunting these down. I will try to have them off in the next few days.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I don't agree with people putting matches up on Youtube, but can you actually force them to take them down?

I mean, they bought the DVD (or else they couldn't get the matches) and therefore can't they do what they want with it? Even upload matches?

I stress, again, I don't agree with it.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
No. We own the copyrights to the DVD. Does buying a music CD give you the right to upload the songs? Of course not :).

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
14 vids down. I have amazing connections. Intership at youtube helps alot in this case.

p.s. you guys will owe me one for a while.

Chap™

Smash Journeyman
Fair use copyright laws, etc, etc. It's being used for instructional and educational purposes, and is even non-profit. Not really a breach in copyright laws, especially when compared to the magnitude of the actual event that was video recorded. I ~could~ be wrong, but for an event of this size, and the DVD that was made from it, shouldn't you get Nintendo's permission? I'm pretty sure that you guys made a decent amount off of both of these instances; and that it would be considered far more commercial than simply uploading the videos to YouTube.

We weren't charged to watch the matches from FC6, why should we be charged to watch this? Honestly, I think that you should focus on advancing the community as a whole (much like King), rather than lining your pockets before you finally just up and leave us. I know you're only human, but that's pretty ****ed up.

Of course, what would I know? You guys may be genuinely concerned about the well-being of the people that have already paid good money for a data DVD.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Thirded, for great justice, and Colorado being excommunicated from the rest of the nation due to the inevitable amount of controversy and hate that this will generate from SoCal.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zeal: dunno what you mean about CO.

Chap: would you like to know how much time we've put collectively toward this project? It's well within our right to seek compensation given then time and resources we've needed to pull it off. And we're not going to hound people who upload videos for the rest of time. There will come a time when we obviously won't be selling any DVDs, and at that point I would fully support the uploading of matches. And if we were to really examine the copyright implications, I'm sure the fact that uploading our matches directly affects our sales would trump most other aspects. You can wave around non profit, education, blah blah, but if in the end your product hurts the profits of the copyright holder then you can be found in violation of their copyright.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Zeal: dunno what you mean about CO.

Chap: would you like to know how much time we've put collectively toward this project? It's well within our right to seek compensation given then time and resources we've needed to pull it off. And we're not going to hound people who upload videos for the rest of time. There will come a time when we obviously won't be selling any DVDs, and at that point I would fully support the uploading of matches. And if we were to really examine the copyright implications, I'm sure the fact that uploading our matches directly affects our sales would trump most other aspects. You can wave around non profit, education, blah blah, but if in the end your product hurts the profits of the copyright holder then you can be found in violation of their copyright.
Oh, SNAPZ! Neal is too good!

Chap™

Smash Journeyman
Due to the nature of NoobKing's c0ck-riding post, I'm obligated to reply in a civil, yet opposing manner.

You guys scrapped the full DVD layout menu and whatnot, and just went to straight data DVD format. Now, there was a HELL of a lot of footage, and a vast majority of it won't even be loaded up to YouTube for a while anyway (honestly, more people want to see Ken vs M2K then randomg good scrub 1 vs okay-but-lucky-with-brackets scrub 2), but if you have the right software, and just let your computer run and auto-seperate the matches into clips (which you should have known how to do from the start, and planned out accordingly), then the most tedious processes would have been simply naming the matches, then burning the first DVD. After that, the computer essentially runs on auto-pilot, and you just have to check in randomly to put in the next DVD. You could do homework, eat, watch TV, read a book, whatever. Not the most arduous task ever.

You guys claimed you were going to put out a DVD (before x-mas, nonetheless) with a full menu layout. Instead, we find that data DVDs are being sent out, and it's HOW far after the original 400000 projected release dates? Don't get me wrong, I know it's time-consuming, and not exactly fun, but you guys lallygagged and were unable to fulfill your ends of the bargains on a few levels.

Again, we come back to the copyright bit. If your original material was, in fact, illegal, then the money you lost off of the "pirated" matches put up on you tube would be ignored completely. A bootleg DVD manufacturer isn't compensated if he gets shafted by his customers, etc, etc.

I imagine I'm coming across as rather hostile, so I'll simply say what I'm trying to say, and be done with it (unless someone else starts dry-humping you, in which case, I might call them ********): People are still going to buy the DVDs, whether the matches are up or not. More people probably would have bought them if they were actual DVDs, but I digress. People are going to also put up some of the highlight matches. Why stop them? Why hold back the community? It's honestly pointless, in my opinion, and maybe a little selfish (much like the deadline scenario). Is it selfish for people to want to learn as much as they can before this game finally dies? Honestly, just let people post the videos. There's no point in holding it back any more. If people want to buy the DVDs, they're going to regardless. Don't pretend that the people who would rather just you tube it would even consider buying it, because they won't. They'll just talk to everyone that has a DVD until they find someone to leak it to them. Why bring about animosity and deceit to the SSBM scene?

Sorry if I come across as a bit of a prick, this is just a little rediculous, in my opinion.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Grossly oversimplified, Chap, and full of cheap shots (yeah, we didn't release by Christmas; does that make me a criminal?) so I'll just reply to your overall point.

Call me selfish, accuse me of hurting the community, being deceitful, full of animosity, etc etc blah blah blah. You're wrong, because I've done far more than my fair share to help this community, and few people have done more than me for SoCal in particular.

Honestly, people can just wait another week or two to post the videos. Like I said, the sales will stop eventually and at that point there will be no reason to take down uploads. That way everyone is happy. Where's the problem? We're the ones with the significant time and money investment in this... having to wait another 10 days to see Ken vs M2K isn't going to kill anyone.

And don't pretend like having the video uploads don't hurt potential sales. Just because KaZaA claims that file sharing doesn't hurt CD sales doesn't make it true. You're looking at that situation from the wrong position; correct, people opposed to buying the DVD won't buy it simply because the matches aren't on YouTube, but people who *are* considering a purchase may very well cancel because they find the matches online.

Finally, can we please move beyond the DVD Video complaints? I've explained this a dozen times. There's no way more people would have bought a DVD with 1/10 the content. End of story.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

Due to the nature of NoobKing's c0ck-riding post, I'm obligated to reply in a civil, yet opposing manner.

You guys scrapped the full DVD layout menu and whatnot, and just went to straight data DVD format. Now, there was a HELL of a lot of footage, and a vast majority of it won't even be loaded up to YouTube for a while anyway (honestly, more people want to see Ken vs M2K then randomg good scrub 1 vs okay-but-lucky-with-brackets scrub 2), but if you have the right software, and just let your computer run and auto-seperate the matches into clips (which you should have known how to do from the start, and planned out accordingly), then the most tedious processes would have been simply naming the matches, then burning the first DVD. After that, the computer essentially runs on auto-pilot, and you just have to check in randomly to put in the next DVD. You could do homework, eat, watch TV, read a book, whatever. Not the most arduous task ever.

You guys claimed you were going to put out a DVD (before x-mas, nonetheless) with a full menu layout. Instead, we find that data DVDs are being sent out, and it's HOW far after the original 400000 projected release dates? Don't get me wrong, I know it's time-consuming, and not exactly fun, but you guys lallygagged and were unable to fulfill your ends of the bargains on a few levels.

Again, we come back to the copyright bit. If your original material was, in fact, illegal, then the money you lost off of the "pirated" matches put up on you tube would be ignored completely. A bootleg DVD manufacturer isn't compensated if he gets shafted by his customers, etc, etc.

I imagine I'm coming across as rather hostile, so I'll simply say what I'm trying to say, and be done with it (unless someone else starts dry-humping you, in which case, I might call them ********): People are still going to buy the DVDs, whether the matches are up or not. More people probably would have bought them if they were actual DVDs, but I digress. People are going to also put up some of the highlight matches. Why stop them? Why hold back the community? It's honestly pointless, in my opinion, and maybe a little selfish (much like the deadline scenario). Is it selfish for people to want to learn as much as they can before this game finally dies? Honestly, just let people post the videos. There's no point in holding it back any more. If people want to buy the DVDs, they're going to regardless. Don't pretend that the people who would rather just you tube it would even consider buying it, because they won't. They'll just talk to everyone that has a DVD until they find someone to leak it to them. Why bring about animosity and deceit to the SSBM scene?

Sorry if I come across as a bit of a prick, this is just a little rediculous, in my opinion.
right, first let me ask you did you attend oc2? if the response is no, then why argue for matches so much?

the point is the oc2 dvd was very difficult to create. You werent there through our processes to even get this thing going so you cannot make blatant assumptions. I doubt you went to japan and got all the japanese players to attend oc2 for us. I wish you were in japan hell ill even introduce you to mikael myself, so he can grab your balls and play with your breast. How about invite over a guy name fat mario to dry hump you infront of his friends. Personally this didnt happen to us but we saw it happen to his other friends, but being their to witness it is already a pain. Wow, that was a simple task on our part right? on top of that did you see how difficult it was to even keep task of what match is what at oc2? The game 2 and caotic were running left and right and keeping tabs on whats happening.

I mean it goes back to someone who didnt attend the event, who sits at home saying " im bored, i want to see what happened at oc2, this even that I heard mew2king vs ken was so great," that only has issues with matches not being FREE. Nothing is free. This website itself costs money to run. Even though im personally not saying this dvd is in fully copyright of us, atleast we put the effort to get this dvd out to people who attended the event and even more so to people who didnt attend, and all im seeing is that your too cheap to support it. What is 25 bucks for all the matches you get. A good example is mlg, they copyright all their material from games. Nobody posts mlg videos on you tube else mlg will get them for copyright.

Finally, if you dont believe me ask all the people who attended oc2 and see how much more difficult it is to run a 200 plus man tourney in southern california. Right now like neal already said half whats on my mind, i personally think you dont have a purpose in this thread. This thread supports oc2 dvds and our efforts to get it to the people we dont need random arguments of why its free or not. We the staff are here to take complaints from the dvd meaning if theres something wrong to the people who have bought them. We are here to take comments on how the dvds were and also take questions for any person who has one.

also dont say anything about the canadian players like noobking. Canadian players were harmless and very cool at oc2, and most of them played their best matches of their lives and personally were accused by mew2king for stealing his ****. Its **** like this that goes behind the scenes of the oc2 dvd that people dont realize how much more difficult it was to get it out then it was tape the matches and burn the matches. Thats why I say buy and oc2 dvd and support the cause - being us of course - not to mention the toilet incident....

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
I personally think that purchasing these DVD's is the least we can do for everything that they have done. I am also assuming you didn't go to 0C2.
Well I did and from what I saw it seemed all the 0C2 staff were under a tremendous stress and tiring 3 days. They have even offered soooo many people housing when they didn't need to.

Purchasing these DVD's is like saying thanks for all the hard work and since it was their tournament they should decide what can happen with their video's. They like to sell it to make a small profit.

If you bought video's from the MLG archieves you wouldn't upload them on youtube because when you bought the video's you agreed to not upload them to the public.
By buying the DVD your pretty much agreeing to the same thing.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
As I undestood the status of the DVD, it's like a game console which has the exclusivity for the matches, at least for a time being, and the other consoles will have them in a while. It sounds fair considering how great 0C2 was !
When I travelled to the USA, I knew it was only for one tournament, and I know I won't be able to travel to another one over there anytime soon... and I certainly don't regret choosing 0C2 ^^.
this DVD is like a fair reward !
Nealdt, can I add you on my Wii? I'll pm you my wii number if you say yes :)

D1

Banned via Administration
HOORAY FOR D'RON M FROM NYC! When should the DVD arrive? *creams pants* ;¿;

Darv

Smash Apprentice
DS vs Hop and Kick Losers 2, one of the best Isai team matches ive ever seen.

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
Arrgh! it came in finally!:) but there's this funny splotch thing on the shiny side:psycho: which won't let me watch the international crews:(

Sorry Mana but can I seriously get a new disc or something? That was the part I was hoping the most for. And you can't expect me to be satisfied with 3/4 of the disc.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
If it's illegal to buy Mozart sheet music and distribute it freely despite the fact that the music was written long before copyrights existed and it was clearly not authored by the people producing and copyrighting the sheet music, then those selling these OC2 DVDs are fully within their rights to protect their copyrights of the DVDs.

That's one long-*** sentence.

Serpreme

Smash Apprentice
Your posting this on a internet forum. Knowing that much atleast you will know that this WILL be leaked to the community.
Chap is correct. The people who WANT to buy it WILL. the people who could care less and wait 10 days,will wait 10 days. But that doesnt mean people should dish out money to get the product early if they cant wait. Where there is a will there is a way. You set yourself up for failure the moment you put it on a DVD. How unsecure can you be?
And also YOU did the effort for the first one,the process carried itself out after that. Sure you should be compensated. Sure ,say 10 DVDs and your compensated?
Its not like your life is on the line if you dont sell 10 more DVDs. And if it is,bad move.
Go chap for speaking out in this thread.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
When it comes down to it, those who are opposed to buying the DVD will never understand or accept our position. I think we can leave things at that. I've explained why we did what we did several times and it just goes ignored.

Serpreme

Smash Apprentice
No your just ignoring our part. I can accept that people will want to buy it and will buy it.
Why cant you see that people wont value this? or have any means to buy it. you saying they will have to wait 10 days is the same thing as saying "Well i want to milk this for all its worth and make them buy it"

Edit: Also just from a advertising stand point, releasing videos online and music content has always been a good way to get the name out there. I myself do buy CD's i enjoy listening to. I'm sure others will too. But like most,i dont feel like putting my money down on a iffy thing.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, of course I want people to buy the DVD. Since when is it a crime to seek compensation for your work?

You, on the other hand, want to view the videos for free. Fine, I understand your reasons and always knew they'd end up on YouTube anyways. But I consider your desire to watch videos a far secondary to my right to make a little money from the hard work I poured both into the DVD itself and the 0C2 tournament.

So for the last time. Yeah, they're gonna be put on YouTube eventually. No ****. But I guarantee you there are people out there who might buy the DVD but would be pursuaded otherwise if all the matches were online. So I ask that people wait until this final auction is over to post the matches. Is that really too much to ask?

Really?

And if you want to accuse me of being greedy, perhaps you should ask where my share of the money is likely going. I housed about 26 people during 0C2, some of them for as long as a full week. My house was under construction at the time so I had to ask/beg a family friend to let me use her house while she was on vacation. Fast forward a week and the house is kinda a mess. I harbor no resentment towards the people who stayed with me; anytime you have 26 teenagers in the same room, something is going to be broken. In my case, quite a lot was broken and I wasn't able to help much financially with repairs. So most/all of my money from the DVD will be going to our friend to compensate her for the **** she came home to after the tournament.

Am I still an *******?

PS - no, you didn't specifically call me greedy, but other people in this thread have.

Serpreme

Smash Apprentice
Actually sorry man i'm being a ****. You did hard work on it Screw me and my opinion. i can wait however long.
(Not joking,my bad,sorry)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I think random people who didn't attend OC2 need to understand that the staff of OC2 are not a greedy corporation. They aren't trying to abuse the community by creating 'vast revenue' at your expense when you 'should' be getting the matches for free. They are rightfully seeking compensation for their sweat and tears by offering a dvd of the matches. EVERYONE who attended OC2 understands this so there's no point arguing for people who don't even agree with you. If the sale of DVD's was stopped, and OC2 just asked for donations for their hard work I'm sure they'd just as much money from the people who went and maybe even a small amount from the people who just don't understand.

If you weren't there, SHUT THE **** UP.

P.S. I plan on still ordering a DVD but I haven't been able to acquire the means to do so. I plan on ordering one fairly soon, so when are you cutting off the supply?

nublet06

Smash Lord
it doesnt just come down to...."the people who want to buy it will buy it"

it comes down to the people that want it but WONT buy it....have no appreciation for hard work that was put in tho the DVD and the event. chances are....those people didnt go.

Serpreme

Smash Apprentice
Because i am 3000 miles away i dont appreciate it? did you say that? i think i might be wrong.

Chap™

Smash Journeyman
Didn't read much of page 48, sorry. Thanks for the backing, whoever took it, but this seems more like a misunderstanding on both parties parts. I'm not to say that it wasn't an incredibly stressful event, and that the process of putting together all the matches wasn't a tedious and irksome task (at times). I understand completely, though maybe not on the magnitude that was OC2.

As for the "DID U GO TO OC2?!?! THEN U DONT NO!" arguement that so many people seem to be flinging around, the answer is that, no, I was unable to go. I pre-regged, had the money set aside, and even talked to Hugo about housing. Unfortunately, at the last moment, our ride was taken from us, and no one was old enough to simply rent a car (which we pooled our money for, but we didn't know you had to be 21 to rent a car in Colorado). So, we were all set to go, but we had our opportunity taken away from us. I fail to see how our inability to attend makes us any less able to speak up about this. Seems kinda stupid, to me.

To the "don't attack noobking and canadian players" bit, I wasn't attacking him because he was Canadian, I was simply stating that he was stupid. Nationality has nothing to do with a ******** one liner that a monkey could crank out in a minute.

I appreciate the hard work and dedication that went into this, having produced video packages for tournaments and run tournaments myself before (in conjunction to hosting a smash club for school), I simply misinterpreted the "while" that we'd have to wait to see these matches. I thought it would be about 3 months. I'm definitely down with waiting for 10 days or so, just to help get that final push on sales. I apologize for coming across so strongly, I merely thought that we'd be waiting until Brawl for these videos.

So, to summarize:

1)I'm sorry if I came across as callous and inconsiderate to your plight.
2)10 days to see OC2 matches is worth the wait.
3)Let's all be friends/I love you guys.
4)Thank you to everyone who made this possible.
5)God Bless America.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd just like to point out a few statements.

I laughed, was I alone? Maybe? Oh well.
To the "don't attack noobking and canadian players" bit, I wasn't attacking him because he was Canadian, I was simply stating that he was stupid.
Yes, he posted a one liner, he said Neal was too good. Necessary? Probably not relevant to the conversation. That makes him "stupid"? I love your logic.

Apocalypse™

Smash Journeyman
I think random people who didn't attend OC2 need to understand that the staff of OC2 are not a greedy corporation. They aren't trying to abuse the community by creating 'vast revenue' at your expense when you 'should' be getting the matches for free.
Are you serious? This guy is practicly begging for people not to put matches of OC2 up on Youtube just so they can make a few more bucks.

And wasn't it Manacloud that said whoever buys the DVD can do w/e they want with it?

They are rightfully seeking compensation for their sweat and tears by offering a dvd of the matches.
I'm sure they've made enough... and they didn't just put their sweat and tears in it for no apparent reason; they did it so that they can make some money (and yes.. I guess help the community -- those who can afford it.) So please don't make it sound like they're doing it for free.

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame a topic devoted to the best event ever held and the distribution of its footage has devolved into a flamefest. Please stop giving Neal a hard time, he's done a million times more for the smash community than most others and is a great guy to boot. They worked their ***** off, let them enjoy the fruits of their labor. I for one can't wait to buy my copy on ebay once I have some money, hehe. The second day of OC2 was my 17th bday, best **** birthday I ever had, so of course I'm gonna buy the DVD. Just keep your pants on people and wait the lousy 10 days, or better yet, buy a DVD and support the hard work of SSBM's biggest contributors.

Top Bottom