• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Gay

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I think the safest thing to do regarding words such as "gay" or "********" since they are obviously going to continue to be used, is just not to use them in mixed company. Say it with your friends at your house, but not to your landlord.We all saw what happened to Michael Keaton(?) when he was at the laugh factory...

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I think the safest thing to do regarding words such as "gay" or "********" since they are obviously going to continue to be used, is just not to use them in mixed company. Say it with your friends at your house, but not to your landlord.We all saw what happened to Michael Keaton(?) when he was at the laugh factory...
I don't know what you meant by that last sentence, but you make a great point. To be completely honest, although I'm defending the use of the word, I haven't really been saying it often anymore. I'm kinda falling out of it. It's time to find something different.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
When Michael Keaton or "Kramer" called out some hecklers during a stand up comedy routine calling them the n-word and other racial slurs.I guess it didn't fit very well.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Warning: this post contains intense terms and language.

This thread probably isn't as awesome as you thought it was going to be when you opened it. Sorry.

But anyway, when people say something is gay, as in, it's "uncool" or "lame" or suchlike, does that offend you? Do you think it's somehow unacceptable? I'd been thinking about this for a while now. In fact, I was talking to a homosexual the other day (my relative’s friend), and he freely called the service at the bar "gay," and then later on went on to describe the pool table as "fu*king gay" because it was a terrible table. I was quietly amused by it actually, but it didn't seem to bother him one bit. But, countless times I’ve seen others get on their high horse about it - pretty much always straight people by the way - and pull out these big spiels about how casually saying something is "gay" makes you a horrible person because it demeans homosexuals and so on.

I personally don't think that it does, so I still say it regularly. I don't think it's any kind of malicious attack on homosexuals like people make out that it is because the meaning has changed. It was a juvenile insult, but now it's just become another slang word in itself like the words "suck" and "blow."

I don't think people realize it, but saying "this car sucks/blows" is the exact equivalent to saying "this car is gay". Think about it - sucks what, exactly? What does the car suck? Spoons? "This car sucks spoons"? The only way it could possibly make sense is if it were a reference to male on male fellatio, as in, "This car sucks c*ck". Which doesn't really make sense, but I could see why a homophobic or immature kid would have said it to begin with. It wouldn't be a reference to female on male fellatio either, because what kind of 13 year old is going to come to the conclusion that a girl giving him a blowjob is something "bad," or something that should be used to describe things that "aren't cool"?

That just doesn't make any sense, so it would have to be a reference to homosexual behavior. With that in mind, why do people kick up a stink when somebody says something is "gay," but not when somebody says something "blows" or "sucks," or even when somebody says something "sucks d*ck," when they have the exact same meaning? Well I know why, but it seems a bit ridiculous is what I’m trying to point out.

This topic isn't pointed out to insult or offend any possible homosexuals here on smashboards. This post has also been discussed on other forums before, I just thought I'd introduce it to SWF. And try to be mature about this, please?

I lol'd. Hard.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Simply do not use derogatory terms in front of people you don't know, it is very simple. Most people will not take offense, and those that do don't really take offense so much as just want you to not use that term. A small percentage of the population actually does take offense, and in public you are likely to be close to one of those people, so please do not insult anyone in public.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
a. That's definitely none of your business.
I'm pretty sure that DoH doesn't actually care whether you're gay or not. He's simply saying that if you're not gay, you really have no business saying that the word shouldn't be offensive.

It isn't our perogative to watch which words we pick up along the road of life. We just do, if you wanted to stop this you'd have to cut off contact with everything.
First of all, I don't think you understand the meaning of the word prerogative. It means a right or privilege, not an obligation.

And while it is not your duty or responsibility to monitor what words you use, it certainly is within your abilities.

I have never, in my life, used the word gay as an epitaph. I sometimes used the word "********" a few years ago, but stopped after I became realized the origin of that word.

So, yes, nobody has the right to force you to stop saying, "gay." That doesn't mean I don't wish you would.

Look behind the words, see what they really mean...you'll find your self a lot less offended.
I'm less concerned with the intention of the speaker, and more concerned with the effect of what he says. I feel that continued use of the word gay as a pejorative encourages homophobia, and is therefore harmful to gay people.

Of course, I have no real evidence to back this up, but I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Simply do not use derogatory terms in front of people you don't know, it is very simple. Most people will not take offense, and those that do don't really take offense so much as just want you to not use that term. A small percentage of the population actually does take offense, and in public you are likely to be close to one of those people, so please do not insult anyone in public.
Agreed with it mostly since it was pretty much what I said.The last part though about a small percentage,that's a great miscalculation.

Dibs

Smash Lord
When Michael Keaton or "Kramer" called out some hecklers during a stand up comedy routine calling them the n-word and other racial slurs.I guess it didn't fit very well.
LOL. 5 6 7 8 9 10

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow... when you are trying to make a point, check your facts.

Seriously, typing in "Kramer" in Google has a number of results with the second one being "Cosmo Kramer" - played by Michael Richards.

Also, his tirade was a racist, hate speech. He snapped and went off on black people because they were heckling him after a bit of stuff before hand that he did. He's a hack.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Michael Richards I mean,MICHAEL RICHARDS!

Michael Keaton...Where did that come from? :confused:

Seriously, typing in "Kramer" in Google has a number of results
First of all,it was all over the news.And if they hadn't heard about it.would it have been too much for someone to have put "laugh factory" after "kramer" in their google tool bar?

with the second one being "Cosmo Kramer" - played by Michael Richards.
Guilty as charged.:laugh:

Also, his tirade was a racist, hate speech. He snapped and went off on black people because they were heckling him after a bit of stuff before hand that he did. He's a hack.
I know what he did,but I was making a point.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I say if anyone is mature enough and all would not be offended. Some people though might get offended cause to say that something is bad and whatnot, people use the word gay, as in gay is a bad thing. If you say that something is gay and you could be refering to something like your friend is being cheap in a match or w/e, you useing the word gay to describe it is stating that gay is bad. so people use it to describe certain situtaion that are not to thier liking. Thats the only way I say one can be offended by it (if your gay that is) Nothing is wrong with being gay. they are people. but useing the word in terms to describe something bad is saying gays are not liked or etc. So I say its a win/lose situtaion. It all depends on the person that is gay to say if it offends them or not.

Same goes for useing the word N-I-G-G-A. when one is called that, it means nothing to the african american person cause it was not said to be racist. Just being said like people would say Dude or homeboy or etc. Im spanish and my frinds say that to me and I am fine with it cause I know and they know there was no sense of a racist remark there. Other types of people call each other that too. But there are some that dont like the word even though it was not ment to be racist. it depends on the person I suppose.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
No chansen; Mediocre answered your first comment, and none of your analysis assumes any of my warrants as to why the use of the term 'gay' in such a negative connotation is only an extended and verbalized form of heterosexism. The definition hasn't changed; it is merely an attempt to force an association of negativity with the word gay itself, therefore subconsciously creating a negative thought association with not only the word, but also the people. This is simply a tool of those who would so valiantly oppose us as to corrupt the English language. However these words have a gigantic impact on the children of today, as their perceptions are undoubtedly shaped by the connotations that words today carry.

Also none of your arguments preclude my look at where the word comes from, and how that affects its intent. By realigning a word used to describe a certain group to become a slang word for something bad, heterosexists have ascribed the quality of negativity to the word itself, which becomes impossible to shake off without redeployment. However, we as gays have to stop using it in a negative context, otherwise we are signing away not only our peace of mind, but also our right to be offended by instances of heterocentrism.

Personally, I dislike the term homophobia (as the phobia implies that all cases are fear based, whereas some are downright hate based, or religiously based, or heteronormatively based, etc) and prefer the term heterosexism (the ism just has more jazz...or in this case jism? lolz!), because it encompasses pretty much all discrimination based on sexual identity, because the etymology suggests that it is the heterosexual lifestyle which is discriminating based on sexual identity; this of course being where sex and gender are separate entities.

And lastly you ignore why your suggestion of 'letting the word be' fails (as it only serves to perpetuate heterosexism in the status quo) and why my alternative of redeployment is the best option.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Nothing is wrong with being gay. they are people. but useing the word in terms to describe something bad is saying gays are not liked or etc. So I say its a win/lose situtaion. It all depends on the person that is gay to say if it offends them or not.

I agree.Nothing is wrong with gay people,but if the word is used in a derogatory way, then it is bad. I don't really see what's "win" about it though.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
No single usage of the word gay is used as something positive, unless you are simply acknowledging their orientation. Saying "That's gay" sends off nothing but negative vibes. You will never hear someone describe something they like with "Gay." It's just how it is. I try to stop myself from saying it as much as possible, but to my chagrin it's become rather habitual.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Per topic starter's request, I am closing the thread. But since I feel it's such a good concept and topic, I'm either moving it to the Debate Hall or letting everyone finish their posts here then suggesting SOMEONE start it there. I'll give you guys, until say midnight my time to wrap up your posts.

Enjoy.

chansen

Smash Lord
Wow darkness, you're really fired up about this. But not only are you wrong, you're very wrong. No one on this planet hates gays or is "afraid" of gays because the word gay gets thrown around. I'm not afraid of ******** people and I've been hearing that word for a while. Same goes for countless other words. People only hate gays because they are different and they are yet to be fully understood in American society. And many religions do not condone homosexual relationships, so traditional families may look down upon homosexuals. Please dont tell me that you are infering that gays are hated because we use that word, that would be lame.

But being that this is probably my last post on the topic (i still have yet to find out how to become a debater <_<) I would also like to say that gays arent what everyone perceives them as. The gayest (for lack of a better term) people you know are sometimes the people that dont tell anyone they are gay. My best friend is gay and I didn't know for four years. So don't think that gays are fragile and can't take a few epitaphs without spitting something back in you face. Those "homos" are sometimes the people that are the strongest and nicest people you will ever meet.

oh and darkness...less is more, i'm too high to comprehend half of what you said and I'd say the younger SWF members would appreciate a dumbed down version aswell.

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
I rarely use the word "gay" in that context. I use "lame." Lame is equally versatile and potentially less offensive. Besides, I think using gay that was is lame.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Personally, I dislike the term homophobia (as the phobia implies that all cases are fear based, whereas some are downright hate based, or religiously based, or heteronormatively based, etc) and prefer the term heterosexism (the ism just has more jazz...or in this case jism? lolz!), because it encompasses pretty much all discrimination based on sexual identity, because the etymology suggests that it is the heterosexual lifestyle which is discriminating based on sexual identity; this of course being where sex and gender are separate entities.
But hatred is a display of fear. I am TERRIFIED of needles so naturally I will detest them and hate them all together. It's a common connection to hate what you fear. Homophobia annoys me. It's really demeaning to think that just because someone's gay that means they want you because you are the same sex.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't call stuff gay anymore. I used to but now I say it fails or it sucks *ss or something.

EDIT: CK I feel the same way. I have no problem with gays on a whole, I only have problems with specific ones that don't know who's off limits. I have a friend that always talks about killing gays. Ironically, he's a christian in a family full of christians. I've never wished death upon any group of people and I never will [hopefully] but it sickens me to see such blatant hatred for a community that doesn't even affect you. It's to be expected though, I come from a society where singers occasionally sing songs about killing gays.

I highly doubt the world with ever have peace as long as people like that exist.

chansen

Smash Lord
I dont know how much life is left in this thread, but I really enjoyed the debate and it had a lot of integrity, which is kinda rare in the pool room. Thanks for the good arguments guys!!

Crimson King said:
I am TERRIFIED of needles
Couldn't help but make the correlation

chansen

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind being a debater, but it seems a little tedious, and I still can't even figure out how to apply. We could go head to head in a DWYP thread, thats the only way to do it, balls to the wall.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
For some reason DWYP automatically makes me think my points are going to be moot and I'll make a fool of myself. I love a good debate but if you put me up on a platform I'm going to dread it.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I'm tired of people saying they can't figure out how to get into the hall. If you really can't figure out how to get in, then you probably shouldn't be in. It is really easy, lets see... go to the debate hall, and read the thread that is stickied.

Since some of you are obviously a little lazy, here is a link http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105232

I'm only posting this because I think that someone has the potential to become a member, but is obviously lazy, like me. ;)

As for the gay issue, I really don't have anything new to be said. I have the same feeling as most of you guys, I use it and wish that I didn't. Maybe this will make me try a little harder to eliminate the word from my vocabulary, at least in that context.

DoH- I think your vocabulary is much bigger than everyone else's, or at least you make it seem that way. It would help you point if you did "dumb it down" like chansen said. IMO

Florida

イーグランツ
Before this topic is moved / closed, I'd like to say why I requested it's closing:
Mainly because the argument has lived to it's fullest. Many things were being repeated, and this thread soon just became an insult war instead of a mature debate, about the main point of the whole topic. Thanks to those who were serious about all of this, and gave their opinions and views of the matter. Hopefully further intelligent discussion will exist in the Debate Hall.

chansen

Smash Lord
Thats just it, I cant figure out how to apply, I've gone over that thread like a jillion times and still dont know where to apply.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I personally think it's rude. I have had to deal with people calling me gay and spreading rumors about me at school....since the fourth grade. I'm a sophmore. I can't stand that word anymore.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I clicked on egruntz file, and this was in his sig, and it interested me, so I clicked it. I didn't pay attention long enough to see when it was made...and I just expressed my opinions....

And I think Eor was being smart alec...

I don't find your sig funny.

Florida

イーグランツ
I clicked on egruntz file, and this was in his sig, and it interested me, so I clicked it. I didn't pay attention long enough to see when it was made...and I just expressed my opinions....

And I think Eor was being smart alec...

I don't find your sig funny.
Where do you see this thread linked to in my signature?

And I'm well aware that you think it's rude; I think it's funny, thus it stays.

Top Bottom