• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terrabite Tourny 2 - Pompton Lakes, NJ - Aug 23, 08 - SSBB, North Jersey

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I might actually be able to come to this. I get back from vacation at 10am on the day of the tourny. All I need is to get a friend's parents to drive me one way and I'll be there.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'll be coming to this.
I was so hoping to see this. I hope you know the waves you're making. Your Olimar is getting ridiculous hype. In fact, you're the next best Olimar I've ever seen after Starz, and I'm only giving Starz seniority. You may be better than him. Rematch please.

As for the crew battle, if it's 3 v 3, and Munk, Umbra, and R00kie want in for sentimental sakes, I have no problem sitting out.

Seriously, I thought this was going to be easy cake, but a lot of well establish players are coming out. I'm going to have even MORE fun that I thought before. I couldn't wait before, but now I'm actually working on that time acceleration machine.

brb, gotta tweak a gear.

/corny joke

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
:urg: that sucks. why not?

and ok... the venue fee isn't too bad. i also think that ppl should help with seeding the bracket. do whatever you want though.. i just wouldn't want to have to play my brother or the member of our crew that's going ... :confused: i wonder who it is. hint- he mains yoshi :bee:
I'm jelous of your Soul Eater avy, imma make a new one now.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
:urg: that sucks. why not?

and ok... the venue fee isn't too bad. i also think that ppl should help with seeding the bracket. do whatever you want though.. i just wouldn't want to have to play my brother or the member of our crew that's going ... :confused: i wonder who it is. hint- he mains yoshi :bee:
No venue fee if you enter either doubles or singles, or both. Hence the 35% of the pot + $15 per event, lol.

I'm fairly sure they're gonna seed this by crew in TiO, btw, so don't worry about the Yoshi dude guy (I kinda don't wanna face him either! >_>).

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, I think Taiki/Munk decided on such a high entry fee ($15) was so that the winners could actually make some money. Plus, this looks like it's going to be a slightly larger than expected turnout, so it's pretty good.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
although registration begins at 4pm. Whats the EARLIEST you think we can be?

BTW Me and Tipo Mastr should be able to make it to this.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
hrm...this tourney is going to have to be run VERY VERY efficiently if we want to get done before midnight. I personally don't want to stay past 10:30, and i dont know how late our ride will be able to come pick us up.

So please, please plan the tourney out so it can be done quickly! =)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
We'll try our best. Before the tournament, our crew will be meeting to go over tips on how to make sure things run smoothly, etc.

Also, I believe a Birthday Party is taking place right before the tournament, so as far as I know, 4 is the earliest, but I'm not sure and hopefully Taiki/Munk can give you a better answer.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
There is a birthday party starting at 1 on the 23rd and ends right before 4 on the 23rd, I'm going to try to run this as quickly as possible; thats going to mean cutting down on the friendlies mid tourny. We can't change the time and the earliest you should show up is around 3:45, that is when i plan on getting there.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
**** i wonder how ima get home. Is there anyway someone from my crew can come up with a solution to my problem because im definitly going to stay for the whole tournament and something tells me i aint going to catch my bus back home to N.Y.
Might wanna talk to some of the people from NY (Snakeee, Shadow, etc) who may be coming to this, they might be able to give you a ride.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Might wanna talk to some of the people from NY (Snakeee, Shadow, etc) who may be coming to this, they might be able to give you a ride.
Yea that sounds cool but i have a personal problem trusting people ask my crew members they can tell you, so thanks for even acknowledging my problem

Find out what time you have work in the morning. I can find out if you can stay the night here, and then catch a bus in the morning, etc. (Dang, imma hafta clean my room)
Good lookin out 7D i doubt i have to work in the morning so all i need is a chair to sit on get like 4 hours of sleep then catch that bus back home at like 7 in the morning

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I can't go cuz I'll be in Central Jersey at a BBQ...

free food > greedy owner...PE better go to Why So Serious :D

D

Deleted member

Every single person should show up at the tournament between 3:45 and 3:59... Get into line and just start registering everybody, teams lined next to each other lol... run down rules and just go lol... b/c otherwise we're going to be here FOREVER... and my friend and I will have to leave before he can't legally drive anymore lol...

Seriously though, every tournament ever runs late and I'd hate for a massive back-up to occur

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
hrm...this tourney is going to have to be run VERY VERY efficiently if we want to get done before midnight. I personally don't want to stay past 10:30, and i dont know how late our ride will be able to come pick us up.

So please, please plan the tourney out so it can be done quickly! =)
I haven't been to an in-person tournament for brawl yet. Do they really take that long? I thought it would be over by 9. Why does it take so long?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I haven't been to an in-person tournament for brawl yet. Do they really take that long? I thought it would be over by 9. Why does it take so long?
Sets take forever, etc, etc.

You'd have to ask more experienced TOs (i.e. Montage, there aren't any others in the area, really) for more exact reasons.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Its more because people play mad friendlies, including the TOs, mid tournament. That takes up TVs and most of the time friendlies are played instead of participants alerting the TOs to a free TV. (Mainly its the people who are out of the tournament requesting friendlies instead of alerting others to the free TV)

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Not to mention Brawl is a slow game in general. Most characters can survive to 150 easily before they die due to the overall floatiness and some recoveries are harder to gimp becuase of that and auto sweetspotting of the ledge. (movement speed is pretty slow too.) People love to camp in this game as well, and that also makes it easy to run out the clock on levels like Luigi's Mansion.

Those are probably the main reasons. What Taiki and Thiocyanide is true too.

@ ChaosInfenral 11: I'm sure most people would want friendlies before the tournament starts. Who wants to hear johning about not warming up or getting used to the tv's?

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Thats why I wanted to set aside a half an hour or an hour before teams start for people to warm-up. If at any time someone seems really pushy about no friendlies, probably me or one of my crew mates i sent over, it's only because i want this to go smoothly and quickly. About brawl being slow, its sad but true. Last Terrabite tournament i was playing a ditto vs another Dedede and we went back and forth being overly cautious. It ended with a sick regiside at 1 second left, resulting in a replay of the map with 1 stock which took another 5 minutes. SO we took 12 minutes to do 1 match.

I will now take this time to emphasize knowing your counterpicks people. I want no 12 minute first match sets. Nothing slows down a tournament more.

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
Its more because people play mad friendlies, including the TOs, mid tournament. That takes up TVs and most of the time friendlies are played instead of participants alerting the TOs to a free TV. (Mainly its the people who are out of the tournament requesting friendlies instead of alerting others to the free TV)
Thanks for the info. I noticed doubles will be taking place first. Is everyone(singles/doubles) signing up at 4-4:30 or is that just doubles? Also when do you think singles will actually start?

D

Deleted member

Well what generally happens is Doubles signups are more important, and those take about 45 min... people will be warming up and such during that time then rules will be read off and the tournament will begin... while doubles are going on, singles signups will be going... and as the tournament progresses, it will move faster, obviously with less matches to play... but Brawl matches take a long time

Eggm

Smash Hero
Everyone should come to G-money's melee tournament on this day instead. xD

j/k.. good luck w/ your tournament.. but really NY ALL DAI.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Actually when you come into Terrabite it would be appreciated if you sign up for everything you planned on participating in. Singles starts when teams ends; And the number of people playing teams greatly effects when teams ends, so no clue when its actually over. You probably could sign up for singles mid doubles tournament, would could replace a bye (sp?) with you, but its a lot of hassle so try to sign up first thing. Singles is going to take up the most time, because like Bnzaaa said brawl is a slower game. So I'll be focusing on getting through teams as quick as possible.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
idk if i'm teaming with tipo mastr but if i'm not i'm gonna need a partner for this. I'd prefer sombody I already know and is good.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I'd say singles would start sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 thats a rough guess and i still have no clue how many people are participating in teams.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
awesome, we are now good on setups. So anyone who volunteered to bring one do not forget, or i will yell at you...for hours...in a locked room...where no one can hear you scream.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
awesome, we are now good on setups. So anyone who volunteered to bring one do not forget, or i will yell at you...for hours...in a locked room...where no one can hear you scream.
Pretty much the best policy possible =-).

Did you try talking to the owner about moving the starting time back? I'm sure if you explained that last tournament was only fast because of the tremendous help from volunteer smashers and that it still ran until late (10pm? I'm not quite sure) he would be more inclined to open doors earlier. I remember you said there was a party going on but still...

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I tried but there is no way to simultaneously run our tourny and the birthday party. The NYC weeklies had people show up at 4:30 started at 6 and finished around midnight. Thats with an incredible amount of friendlies and MM between tournament matches. If we get strict about friendlies and speed through this I'm confident we can finish by 10.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not but, my dad just annhilated my sensor bar wire by vacuuming it up (my cousin left it on the floor when I wasn't home.) So when I do bring my setup, I will need to borrow someone else's sensor bar to start up my Wii.

And I might need a partner for this. My friends don't think they can make it.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
The sensor bar news is unfortunate but you could borrow someone elses, or if no one is generous enough mine. Neither of your friends can make it saturday?

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Neither of them can make it. My one friend is celebrating his niece's birthday on the day of the tournament, and his parents said he needs to be at her party. My other friend wanted to enter doubles only because he thought he was leaving for college the night of the tourney, but is leaving the day before. I tried... :ohwell:

I do need a partner for this. As long as you don't hit me too much I'm fine (I got killed twice by my partner at the last tournament I went to.)

Top Bottom