• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Tentative: MBR Official Ruleset for 2012

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm trying to say that the reaction to the banning of metaknight wasn't similar to the release of the new mbr ruleset, at least not all over the planet :p (I have no idea if the brawl boards here are currently laughing at this new ruleset)

I don't quite get what you are trying to say with your second line. That we should get used/return to your ruleset instead of thinking that you are right about adjusting to our ruleset or something? Is this like when americans previously talked about people having to prove themselves to you before being able to call themselves the best in the world, but it's fine that you do it without proving it to us?

well the problem with this argument is...well Europe's scene is very new in comparison. When US was proving themselves Europe's scene was nearly nonexistent. Also US is pretty much the holy land of smash simply because US has has more smashers than every other country combined. We are a generation of lazy useless kids with too much free time on our hands..what else can I say.:awesome:

All I'm saying is this.

1) Overall I really love the new ruleset and have been waiting for something like this for awhile now.

2) The previous ruleset was more than Doable for anyone good enough. My point was that if Amsah and Armada could do well then there are no excuses for everyone else.

The competition over here is just too heavy(at least it has been for awhile). Players who gave Amsah or Armada a good run well...alot of them don't make it out of pools. a slight gap in skill between players in tournaments over there translates to HUGE difference in performances over here. That's all I am implying and well...based on results it is a pretty factual statement.

With that said, The new rules should feel more comfortable so...we'll see at Apex 2. I've been honestly hoping for a better overall showing of Europe since 09 and so far I've just been stricken with grief over and over:(. (Hopefully players like Leffen will stop sucking so badly.)

A wise smasher once told me "Get better or get *****".

I have been getting better....what have you all doing?;)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I facepalm every time I see someone post something about this being some kind of democratic system.

This is expert opinion vs opinion. The majority of the opinions involved are based around how we perceive the competitive game of SSBM vs the base game of SSBM and how it should and can potentially be played.

In my opinion, as a player vs player purist, I believe something doesn't need to be 100% "broken" to be banned. It needs to be confirmed as having a solidly negative influence on the results of competitive play, as defined by those shaping the game. This can mean a result suffering from slightly randomized output due to stage influence, a strategy without counter, or a shiny little light that you could turn on for no reason that happens to distract the players.

I believe in seeing two opposing parties fight on as equal ground as possible. Doing that with the base game is not possible. I would much rather find the competitive base through complete elimination and expanding on that than play guessing games with what we should or should not remove because you want to preserve some sense of the original game, but that isn't how we do things and I work with what I have instead of dwelling on the shortcomings of the system in place.

We do not play Super Smash Brothers Melee. We play Competitive Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Post script: There is no "majority" telling you that you can't play Mute City in tournament. There are TO's that agree with the path our idea of CSSBM is going who are telling you that Mute City is harmful to the results of competitive play and that their tournaments will not use that stage. You are more than welcome to play that stage in your free time, or if you so choose, at your own tournaments.

tl:dr - Haters gonna hate.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
First, I wanna hear your thoughts on why gimping even one of the viable character's first round stage picks is acceptable when it could be avoided.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Why is there only 1 CP now?

If were trying to reduce jank that is out of the players control, then the first thing that comes to mind is move them down to CP status. I think alot of ppl would agree with me when i say FoD and YS have CP elements to them.

:phone:

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
And I believe FD has a far bigger CP element to it than either of those. Doesn't say anything relevant to the argument.

Actual Reason:

It doesn't make sense to me to reduce it to FD, PS, and BF, as the effect it has on the top8-10 matrix of matchups skews them heavily and essentially eliminates a large portion of the strategy involved in stage striking. Cutting it down to those three in particular creates forced ban situations.

If we were to go down that road, a more logical approach would actually be to make BF the only neutral/first stage, and leave the others as CPs.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
And I believe FD has a far bigger CP element to it than either of those. Doesn't say anything relevant to the argument.
I completely agree, and i find it even more falcon main'y that both you and jpeg think FoD and Yoshis are worse than a level like FD :p

moving platforms don't really hurt the game as much as chain grabs and combos that last double the length.
jpeg your entire argument for YS was randall. that merits such little value. it may randomly be near you sure, and it's not even guaranteed to cause you problems. taj vs mango anyone?

honestly i cant even remember the last time randall benefited me when playing you

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I would say it does... Having CP elements should be the main reason for looking at a stages neutrality.

Im also in the camp thqt we might as well make BF the only neutral.

Trahh if u think falcon players are the only ppl who have a problem with yoshis or fod.....ur wrong and silly for even considering that.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
BF is the only stage that would be considered neutral if "having CP elements" was the only qualifier to being a CP.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Also, it seems absurd to argue that we should be arguing from less stages. The less stages you strike from, the more bias you potentially introduce. There is no practical reason to eliminate legal stages from the striking process, which can be seen from the fact that all 5 starters get struck to ALL THE TIME. SilentSpectre vs. Kage at Genesis 2 struck to FoD. Had FoD been legal, but not part of the stage strike, they would have played on a different stage that favored one of them more than the other. For those two players in that matchup, FoD was the most evenly matched stage to play on.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Indeed. The problem still stands though, that you are choosing FD and DL and the "other two" based on bias. So basically, you have one neutral stage and two advantageous stages to Falcon. And you want to remove the two stages that counterbalance having FD and DL as neutrals.

Problem?

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Why does this come back to falcon and not the fact that randall determines outcomes and varying platform height completely change the flow and pace of a game?

With stage striking i never have to play on fod or YS anyway so you guys are overblowing the idea that this benefits falcon so much.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It is because it guarantees you a play on a stage that is advantageous for Falcon. You strike BF, the agreed upon "most" neutral stage, and the other player is forced to pick DL or FD. If you are against a character that has ad vs on you DL, you strike DL and you are left with FD and BF. Advantage and "most" neutral.

Removing FoD and Yoshi's is purely advantageous for Falcon players.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Thats not true though. I dont want to go to fd vs falco fox ics sheik
I dont want to go to dl vs puff peach

Thats more than half the tourney viable cast youre wrong.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
With stage striking i never have to play on fod or YS anyway so you guys are overblowing the idea that this benefits falcon so much.

so why is it that big of a deal to you if you never have to play on them game 1...?

Kal

Smash Champion
I facepalm every time I see someone post something about this being some kind of democratic system.

This is expert opinion vs opinion. The majority of the opinions involved are based around how we perceive the competitive game of SSBM vs the base game of SSBM and how it should and can potentially be played.
I facepalm every time I see someone post something about how it should and can potentially be played. The game is constantly evolving, and trying to mandate what sort of gameplay is "best" is absolutely absurd. Combine that with the overwhelming (arguably infinite) number of possible rulesets to choose from, and you're going to tell me that this ruleset is reached by some sort of well thought-out discussion? Bull ****: this ruleset is reached because players get together and decide "what I don't like is what's not worth playing." When enough people agree, that is how Smash is meant to be played.

In my opinion, as a player vs player purist, I believe something doesn't need to be 100% "broken" to be banned. It needs to be confirmed as having a solidly negative influence on the results of competitive play, as defined by those shaping the game. This can mean a result suffering from slightly randomized output due to stage influence, a strategy without counter, or a shiny little light that you could turn on for no reason that happens to distract the players.
It's great that you feel this way, but what makes this a fair ruleset? In my opinion, as a defensive gameplay purist, I believe something doesn't need to be 100% "broken" to be banned. It needs to be confirmed as having a solidly negative influence on the ability to successfully play defensively, as defined by those shaping the game.

I believe in seeing two opposing parties fight on as equal ground as possible. Doing that with the base game is not possible.
None of the banned stages provide an unequal ground. What you mean by "equal" is "flat, and without cars." Which is arbitrary.

I would much rather find the competitive base through complete elimination and expanding on that than play guessing games with what we should or should not remove because you want to preserve some sense of the original game, but that isn't how we do things and I work with what I have instead of dwelling on the shortcomings of the system in place.
This isn't how we do things? Really? And yet every other competitive game assumes things are not worth banning until proven otherwise.

The way you've described things is also quite the strawman. In fact, what you've suggested, "complete elmination and expanding on that," is the guessing game: how will you properly figure out what should be "added?" And suppose you add two things, and those two things interfere with each other, but not the rest of the game?

It's an inherently flawed methodology. What will instead happen is we will simply ban more and more, or leave things as they are now. We won't be tacking on individual stages, as though there would be some formal announcement from the MBR

MBR said:
Dear Smash Community,

We have discovered that Mute City is actually kind of cool. The cars are exciting because C. Falcon drives a car. Thus, we have decided to add it to the counterpick list.

Sincerely,

MBR, the Faux-Authority
On the other hand, banning as little as possible will necessarily avoid any guesswork at all. Is it broken? If yes - it's banned. If no - **** off.

We do not play Super Smash Brothers Melee. We play Competitive Super Smash Brothers Melee.
While I agree with this insofar as being able to disable things which are not necessarily broken (like items), this leads to too much nonsense. The majority gets together, agrees on what competition is "worthwhile," then decides that everything else has to go. And so, while there is nothing inherently flawed with a stage like Jungle Japes, Mute City, Brinstar, or Corneria, we end up having them banned because the faux-authority all share the same subjective preference.

Post script: There is no "majority" telling you that you can't play Mute City in tournament. There are TO's that agree with the path our idea of CSSBM is going who are telling you that Mute City is harmful to the results of competitive play and that their tournaments will not use that stage. You are more than welcome to play that stage in your free time, or if you so choose, at your own tournaments.
I'm sensing you didn't read this link earlier, so I'll provide the link a second time. Obviously, I'm not claiming that you're going to hire private security to enforce this ruleset. The point is that these self-proclaimed experts get together and ban things they dislike (and that's literally all it ever is; there is absolutely no good argument to be provided for why one sort of gameplay is superior to any other, which further cements that minimalist banning is a fair methodology), and these self-proclaimed experts derive an air of legitimacy by proclaiming themselves experts. This results in a contrived faux-authority which makes any dissent out to be illegitimate.

tl:dr - Haters gonna hate.
tl;dr - Falcon mains telling us we can't have counterpicks because they can't have counterpicks.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If Randall and the platforms are as random as you are making them, then why are so many players content with striking to those stages? You're argument is that they are too random to be neutral, but if they are randomly affecting results they should be banned entirely. Removing them from stage striking is just a logical inconsistency. "This stage is almost ban worthy, so we will just not let it be allowed for game 1." How can you justify banning a stage for only game 1? And before you go "PokeStadium!!!" let me remind you that if we could strike with 6 stages, it WOULD be in the striking process.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
@ SB thos isnt about me

@ cactus i think were placing our values on different things. Having the best characters playing on the most neutral stages should be the goal.

@ bones Ur puting words in my mouth, my argument is they are significantly less neutral, and instead of debating the neutrality of them im be psychoanalyzed by cactus.

Kal

Smash Champion
I also don't understand the argument that the cloud is random. I've met plenty of people who are perfectly capable of accounting for it, since it's on a timer. It's not all that hard to memorize where it will be and when.

You also have to measure the actual impact (along with the frequency of the impact) of something random to assert that it's hazardous. Even if the cloud were random, the vast majority of the time it has no impact, or almost no impact, on the match. To say that it can occasionally screw things up, and thus should not be a starter stage, would be like saying Peach's down-B is too powerful because she occasionally pulls a Bob-bomb.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's an inherently flawed methodology. What will instead happen is we will simply ban more and more, or leave things as they are now. We won't be tacking on individual stages, as though there would be some formal announcement from the MBR
To be fair, Jungle Japes was banned, but this rule set unbanned it.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
And now even more stages are banned. They have pretty much entirely killed the CP system. It's like they forgot that the whole point of cp stages are that they are not neutral. That was and always has been a large part of what made competitive melee more fun.

I think it's because of **** like this while people keep quitting melee, the game just isn't what it used to be anymore.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
by arbitrary definition....

strife: people quit melee because it's old as ****, really hard, or because they have other things to do in their life, not because the game has been slowly working towards a player vs. player game instead of a player vs. stage vs. player one.

Kal

Smash Champion
To be fair, Jungle Japes was banned, but this rule set unbanned it.
It's been unbanned for doubles. Frankly I see this as more the case of people realizing they jumped the gun, as well as a realization that whatever reasons they have for disliking Japes in singles mostly goes away in doubles.

I doubt it has to do with some real set of standards which happens to warrant a ban in singles but not in doubles.

Bones0

Smash Legend
And now even more stages are banned. They have pretty much entirely killed the CP system. It's like they forgot that the whole point of cp stages are that they are not neutral. That was and always has been a large part of what made competitive melee more fun.

I think it's because of **** like this while people keep quitting melee, the game just isn't what it used to be anymore.
I've explained time and time again why counter picking is a flawed system. It is only a relic of rule sets that had an upwards of 15 stages. To sum up the argument simply, a tournament set should test players against each other on the 3 most fair stages possible, not 1 fair stage and 1 radically biased stage in favor of either person. When that is the case, sets devolve into game 1 being the deciding factor because winning on either player's counter pick is too unreasonable.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've explained time and time again why counter picking is a flawed system. It is only a relic of rule sets that had an upwards of 15 stages. To sum up the argument simply, a tournament set should test players against each other on the 3 most fair stages possible, not 1 fair stage and 1 radically biased stage in favor of either person. When that is the case, sets devolve into game 1 being the deciding factor because winning on either player's counter pick is too unreasonable.
Yeah, I think it's important to realize that the counter pick system only existed because we did not have a better way to ensure the first match was not something like Peach vs. Falcon on Brinstar. Now, we do have a method to do this (the strike system), and so the distinction between "neutral" and "counter-pick" needs to go away. It should be "legal" and "banned."

The only reason Pokémon Stadium is not one of the starter stages (at least, I hope) is because we need an odd number of starter stages for the new system.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That most people would agree with...

Cactuar has already established that the MBR ruleset was not reached through democracy, but rather through thorough debate and then the deliberation of a select few.

Spam_arrows: reading comprehension fail. what made you think we removed stage striking?

Yeah, I think it's important to realize that the counter pick system only existed because we did not have a better way to ensure the first match was not something like Peach vs. Falcon on Brinstar. Now, we do have a method to do this (the strike system), and so the distinction between "neutral" and "counter-pick" needs to go away. It should be "legal" and "banned."

The only reason Pokémon Stadium is not one of the starter stages (at least, I hope) is because we need an odd number of starter stages for the new system.
Yes, it is. This very topic was discussed pretty heavily in the MBR.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Lol that doesnt mean ANYTHING.

Lets make it 3 stages to save some more ****ing time.

And thats 100% bull**** stadium was removed for striking purposes AND BECAUSE IT WAS DEEMED THE LEAST NEUTRAL OF THE NEUTRALS.

Does anyone wanna talk about stages? If not im done here.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Stage striking isn't removed. Idk why people keep thinking that. There's even a little picture showing that the strike goes 1-2-2-1.

lol @ arguing the removal of stages from the striking system to "save time."

Most players finish striking in like 30 seconds.

Top Bottom