• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

Fubl4_IaQAAedeC.jpeg

While not confirmed by any means, it's likely we'll see a reveal at these events considerkng the stops on their world tour so far have had reveals. This doesn't count the lines of SGF or the rumored May PlayStation event where we could also see something

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I feel like we can expect to see more characters from different countries when we get newcomers to Tekken 8, I believe Harada confirmed Tekken 7 sold a lot better in the Philippines thanks to Josie and I can only imagine how big other characters, like Shaheen for Saudi Arabia must have been for getting sales up in other markets. 7 had a lot of characters from countries not represented in the series before and one of them was literally a country’s prime minister so I think it was a deliberate effort to do this and will probably continue in the future.

I can never say for sure but new markets buying the game might have actually been part of the reason Tekken 7 sold so well.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I feel like we can expect to see more characters from different countries when we get newcomers to Tekken 8, I believe Harada confirmed Tekken 7 sold a lot better in the Philippines thanks to Josie and I can only imagine how big other characters, like Shaheen for Saudi Arabia must have been for getting sales up in other markets. 7 had a lot of characters from countries not represented in the series before and one of them was literally a country’s prime minister so I think it was a deliberate effort to do this and will probably continue in the future.

I can never say for sure but new markets buying the game might have actually been part of the reason Tekken 7 sold so well.
I will say that the Tekken franchise had introduced several new nations being represented within past Tekken games. You have Craig Marduk (Australia), Lili (Monaco), Lars Alexanderson (Half Swedish), Shaheen (Saudi Arabia), Josie (Philippines), Lidia (Poland.)

It will be interesting to see whether they will be further nations that had not been represented as new characters within Tekken 8?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
There’s been some discourse on female characters in tekken having faces that look more smoothed out and thus, not as realistic as male characters faces:

I just wanted to say, in my opinion, yeah it kind of sucks that all the female characters look like they’re from 7 while everybody else has more detail. It’s not the biggest deal by any means but as video games get more realistic and the more up close details of a face like individual pores start to matter, I think stuff like these can start unfortunate precedent.

honestly though the worst part of the controversy really is just that people have misunderstood this as “tekken fans don’t like that female characters have makeup”. Probably said by basement dwellers who haven’t been around women long enough to know what makeup looks like.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As the closed network test is currently taking place, data miners have found several data consisting of characters that have yet to be announced:

• Yoshimitsu
  • Steve Fox
  • Shaheen
  • Zafina
  • Raven
  • Alisa Bosconovitch
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/tekken-8s-roster-has-partially-leaked-via-cheat-engine/

Whilst these are characters that have been found in the datamine and yet to be revealed, I generally do believe that this may not be the full roster as there maybe more characters to be revealed and there is not a single newcomer character shown as of yet.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Really excited for Zafina if this is true, shes one of my favorite characters to play as & thought her chances of returning were slim.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Most likely fake. But there has been an apparent select screen leak

Swapped Jin & Devil Jin & cut middle row but heres what it looks like to me

RavenZafina?PaulKatarina?Devil JinKazuyaLee?LawClaudioLeo?
JackBryanAsukaXiaoyuNewcomer ANewcomer BKingLiliDragunovYoshimitsu?
KumaShaheenLeroySteve?LarsAlisaNinaHwoarangFengPanda

Thoughts if true:
Pretty good roster, sort of set the total fighter expections around sf6 but this is quite a bit bigger. Some interesting exclusions though, particularly Lidia & Kunimitsu II since i thought they were sort of setting them up to play roles in the next game.

Also no Capoeira fighters like Eddy, Christie, or even to a certain extent Lucky Chloe is a bit disappointing since i think its a fun, unique gameplay style

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Swapped Jin & Devil Jin & cut middle row but heres what it looks like to me

RavenZafina?PaulKatarina?Devil JinKazuyaLee?LawClaudioLeo?
JackBryanAsukaXiaoyuNewcomer ANewcomer BKingLiliDragunovYoshimitsu?
KumaShaheenLeroySteve?LarsAlisaNinaHwoarangFengPanda

Thoughts if true:
Pretty good roster, sort of set the total fighter expections around sf6 but this is quite a bit bigger. Some interesting exclusions though, particularly Lidia & Kunimitsu II since i thought they were sort of setting them up to play roles in the next game.

Also no Capoeira fighters like Eddy, Christie, or even to a certain extent Lucky Chloe is a bit disappointing since i think its a fun, unique gameplay style
I've since seen people saying its fake so we'll see

darkvortex

Smash Lord
New leak.

2r8qkPAr_WH9Z8pqejdRX3h_lag0dJec9Sr8Rs4SIsk.jpg

Azucena is a type of flower, which could potentially be evidence towards the full roster leak being real as it has a woman with a flower on her head that is similarly shaped

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've since seen people saying its fake so we'll see
I think several are saying that Lili's and Alisa's portraits look quite similar which is why it could be considered as fake.

New leak.

View attachment 375615
Azucena is a type of flower, which could potentially be evidence towards the full roster leak being real as it has a woman with a flower on her head that is similarly shaped
I believe Azucena translates as "lily." Other than that, if Azucena's reveal portrait matches with the supposed leak, that could make (the leak) it legitimate.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
To add further fuel to the potential rumour that consisted of one of the leaked newcomers Azucena:

So Heihachi has another daughter?

Anyways, it is rather interesting to see that this leak which is almost 4 months old seemingly got "Azucena's" name accurate. Although I will still take this with a grain of salt for the time being until further confirmation.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
To add further fuel to the potential rumour that consisted of one of the leaked newcomers Azucena:

So Heihachi has another daughter?

Anyways, it is rather interesting to see that this leak which is almost 4 months old seemingly got "Azucena's" name accurate. Although I will still take this with a grain of salt for the time being until further confirmation.
Surprised it took 30 years for Tekken to get a French character

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Welp

This is only going to add further credence to the leak and someone from Bandai Namco is going to end up getting fired for this.

Anyways, with the final day of EVO taking place today, Hopefully we will get to see first reveals Raven and Azucena.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here are the new challengers entering the fray for Tekken 8:

And with that, the character portraits shown at the beginning of the trailer matched with the leaked screenshot (which I am now certain that it is legitimate.) In addition the description of the 4 month old leak that described Azucena's nationality as Peruvian with a "muh coffee" personality adds further credence in which the next two newcomer characters are going to be Victor (the French agent) and Reina (daughter of Heihachi Mishima.(

I think Katsuhiro Harada is not going to be pleased about the roster being entirely leaked.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Well the roster is real. Not a big fan of it honestly, I wish there were more new characters and it was more differentiated from Tekken 7. Doesn’t really appeal to me. Heihachi’s daughter is an interesting concept but it also seems a little less so when you consider she’s probably only it because Heihachi isn’t. Also Eddy is a huge omission like damn.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm excited about this. The gameplay is awesome! The new mechanics are flashy. I like that it's alittle more accesible too. I'm hoping that there's a good amount of side content; Street Fighter 6 set the bar super high in that regard

Since Leroy has a dog named Sugar and Lili has a cat named Salt, I hope that one day Paul gets a pig named Peppa Pepper and King gets a bird named Tajín, ahaha

There’s been some discourse on female characters in tekken having faces that look more smoothed out and thus, not as realistic as male characters faces: I just wanted to say, in my opinion, yeah it kind of sucks that all the female characters look like they’re from 7 while everybody else has more detail. It’s not the biggest deal by any means but as video games get more realistic and the more up close details of a face like individual pores start to matter, I think stuff like these can start unfortunate precedent. honestly though the worst part of the controversy really is just that people have misunderstood this as “tekken fans don’t like that female characters have makeup”. Probably said by basement dwellers who haven’t been around women long enough to know what makeup looks like.
Yeah, they smooth out and omit imperfections from the female characters’ skin. The lack of texture, fine lines or wrinkles, pores - things that normal women have - is unfortunate; it's particularly jarring when the male characters' faces in the game are noticeably more detailed. It's an improvement when ya compare their faces from past games but still pretty bad. The discussion is important to have and hopefully the developers do better in the future

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Also, are Jin and Devil Jin still their own separate slots on the roster now? I would have thought they’d get merged into one like Kazuya because it looks like Jin can freely transform to the devil form now

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Also, are Jin and Devil Jin still their own separate slots on the roster now? I would have thought they’d get merged into one like Kazuya because it looks like Jin can freely transform to the devil form now
Looking at the leaked character select screenshot, I believe they both still have separate slots (You can see Devil Jin at the bottom row.)

Well the roster is real. Not a big fan of it honestly, I wish there were more new characters and it was more differentiated from Tekken 7. Doesn’t really appeal to me. Heihachi’s daughter is an interesting concept but it also seems a little less so when you consider she’s probably only it because Heihachi isn’t. Also Eddy is a huge omission like damn.
There are some characters that I was quite surprised that did not make it in to the base Eddy, Lidia, Fakumran etc. Claudio, Shaheen and Leroy are the only new characters from Tekken 7 to return in 8. I'm still eager to see how Victor and Reina will play like, but if I have to be honest about the roster, I do wish it had a few more new characters too.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
More leaks apparently

0XPmimjf1uTd5dUXcR0TvCCnnmbgnmY_tV5WtGttmsw.jpg

Reina has Heihachi's moveset and stance, seemingly confirming that she is his replacement

Yoshimitsu and Bryan interactions after 40 years, this is a reference to Tekken 5, along with Steve and Hwo interactions, they had a mini rivalry thing in that game, it seems like they're finally acknowledging that these characters know each other given Asuka also has interactions with Feng

Besides all those, Marduk's moves have been found in the game files and translated in all the languages. Could mean the roster is not final (unlikely), more likely he's been scrapped or is DLC

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Wasnt expectung such a big blowout at gamescom, 6 more characters shown, release date, & rundown of some modes/features. Kind of unfortunate the roster & release date leaked, could have been an even bigger moment for the game.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, here is the trailer from Gamescom:

I guess that means the 32 character roster lines up with the screenshot leak plus the release date lines up with the earlier leak that happened before the reveal.

Besides all those, Marduk's moves have been found in the game files and translated in all the languages. Could mean the roster is not final (unlikely), more likely he's been scrapped or is DLC
[/SPOILER]
In this case, if Marduk's moves were found within the game files and translated in all languages just like the leak stated, then I suspect that the development team might already be working on him as a future DLC character.

Wasnt expectung such a big blowout at gamescom, 6 more characters shown, release date, & rundown of some modes/features. Kind of unfortunate the roster & release date leaked, could have been an even bigger moment for the game.
I'm certain that Katsuhiro Harada is already not pleased with all that had happened, but he must go along with the schedule despite the leaks.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
four character dlc pass confirmed. Wouldn't be shocked if it's half guests half tekken

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Poor Panda not being counted as part of the 4 new fighters

Really happy Zafinas back though, one of my favorites with a fun/unique playstyle. Was worried she would fly under the radar & be dlc again or abscent.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I don't really follow Tekken beyond having a basic awareness of it through like, cultural osmosis, but I just wanna add that I got this trailer in my YouTube recommended and I absolutely loved it. A stage set on a boat in the River Seine is such an obvious but genuinely awesome concept (which looks so good???), his design and general vibe is so cool (and doesn't feel like a lazy stereotype, which is unfortunately pretty common for French characters), his moveset looks bizarre in such a genuinely appealing way, and his music is also actually just such a ridiculous banger I can't even begin to put it into words.

I'm not going to pretend I have anywhere near the mechanical complexity to just pick up Tekken, but this has me intrigued in a great way.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't really follow Tekken beyond having a basic awareness of it through like, cultural osmosis, but I just wanna add that I got this trailer in my YouTube recommended and I absolutely loved it. A stage set on a boat in the River Seine is such an obvious but genuinely awesome concept (which looks so good???), his design and general vibe is so cool (and doesn't feel like a lazy stereotype, which is unfortunately pretty common for French characters), his moveset looks bizarre in such a genuinely appealing way, and his music is also actually just such a ridiculous banger I can't even begin to put it into words.

I'm not going to pretend I have anywhere near the mechanical complexity to just pick up Tekken, but this has me intrigued in a great way.
It's never too late to play! Tekken 8 is designed with accessibility in mind, and a lot of the newer characters have simplified movesets. I didn't get into Tekken until Lili was introduced, but she drew me in similarly to how Victor did for you. And it's been fun ever since :grin: It might be worth checking out

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Tekken 8 Definitely feeds all of my Consumer needs. It just sucks that I'm more of a 2-D Fighter Type of person. I anticipate getting washed up in Tekken 8 when playing Online. But knowing how much this game is going to deliver on release, I know I want to be a part of it.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Welp was going to wait for a sale but i caved over the weekend. Hope everyone is enjoying 8 like i have.

Might be speaking too earlier since this is were i am currently at in Story Mode but of course Zafina may have died. Was pleasantly surprised she was here, i like her premise & moveset & hope this isnt the end of those things in the future.

Also like the idea of picking the winners of each round in Chapter 5, think it could be interesting for a fighting game to do more with that & come up with lots of endings based on who wins & looses each match.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Most wanted veteran dlc is Kunimitsu (still surprised her & Lidia werent in base game, based on 7 dlc thought they were setting them up for 8). Kind of surprised Ryo Hazuki hasnt been a guest in a big fighting game as far as i know. A Like a Dragon rep (especially considering both series released their 8th main entry on the same day) would be cool.

Top Bottom