• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero
This is a discussion thread based upon Bandai Namco's Tekken franchise which is referred to as the "King of Iron Fist Tournament."

I've been a huge fan of the Tekken franchise since the 3rd game back during the Playstation era mainly because of the interesting story and concept of each fighter from Jin Kazama, Paul Phoenix, Marshall Law, Nina Williams and so on.

My personal favourite Tekken series were 4 and 5. To everyone that had played Tekken, which series was your favourite and who is your favourite characters?

With Tekken 8 most certainly likely to happen, what would you like to see in the next game?

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think I’ve always found series like street fighter or kof to be more fun if I’m playing the arcade mode on my own but in terms of the experience of having friends over and playing a few rounds with each other, tekken is absolutely undefeated and it’s so much fun. I don’t think there are any traditional fighting games that are more fun to play with a few friends.

Maybe it’s just because I suck at tekken but whenever I play with my friends I feel like we can all be evenly matched which isn’t really an experience we get with street fighter. It’s really approachable too, you can just say to your friend “each button controls a limb and hold back to block” and they’ll probably be able to beat you already. At least that’s how it is for me.

But yeah, I have a lot of really positive memories with the series and playing it with friends. I do still love playing through the arcade modes, but playing it with friends is where the true game is IMO. Haven’t played too many of them but I’d say Tekken Tag Tournament is my favorite game and Paul Phoenix would be my main character.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I only remind play Tekken 5 long time ago, I also played a little of Tekken 7 in a Walmart (they had a demo), any recommendation to start?, the most likely answer would be Tekken 7 but I don't have any device to run it so with the exception of that game I would like to know what else play.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I only remind play Tekken 5 long time ago, I also played a little of Tekken 7 in a Walmart (they had a demo), any recommendation to start?, the most likely answer would be Tekken 7 but I don't have any device to run it so with the exception of that game I would like to know what else play.
I started with 5 then went to 6 then 7, I personally enjoyed 6 a bit more than 5 & would recommend that from my experience, I imagine 3 would also be a good starting point too given how popular that entry is although I havent gone back to that one yet.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll be honest, I haven’t played all of the tekken 7 storyline quite yet but from what I have played it seems like the perfect culmination of the mishima storyline and so I think tekken 8 should focus on something else that doesn’t directly involve the mishimas. It would make it a very unique entry in the series as well

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I don't know like a lot of the story but there it wasn't some sort of plot around Asuka and her ability to "heal the devil gene" that never was retaken?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I don't know like a lot of the story but there it wasn't some sort of plot around Asuka and her ability to "heal the devil gene" that never was retaken?
That was shown during Asuka's ending in Tekken 5. She did after all adapt the "Kazama-style traditional martial arts" which is the same fight style as Jun Kazama.

It is a real shame that her story changed very drastically from her first appearance.

In Tekken 5, she entered the fifth King of Iron Fist tournament to pursue Feng Wei who is believed to had trashed her dojo and at the same time, her father was hospitalised. Whilst in the tournament, she fought against Lili where she managed to defeat her that eventually led to the ongoing rivalry between the two.

After the fifth tournament ended in which Asuka could not pursue Feng, she resumed her normal life until Jin declared war that led to the events of Tekken 6. Only then she realised that Jin was her cousin and she entered the sixth tournament in hopes of capturing Jin.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My ideas for the Tekken 8 base roster. I would make the story mode somewhat of return to form for the Tekken series which returns to the tournament format of the original games and focuses on that while also keeping some elements of the story modes from 6 and 7 for Jin's quest to defeat Kazuya. Other than that I don’t really know how I’d do the story mode. I’m also not an expert on the series so I might have forgotten some characters or plot lines that would have to be expanded on here so sorry bout that.
Might share new ideas for the new characters too later.
KumaNina WilliamsLee ChaolanKazuya MishimaJin KazamaDevil JinPaul PhoenixMarshall LawAnna WilliamsYoshimitsu
Jackgas*Alisa BosconovitchLars AlexandersonBryan FuryLing XiaoyuEddy GordoHwoarangKingPandaRoger Jr.
New characterFahkumramJulia ChangAsuka KazamaLili De RochefortMiguel Caballero RojoBob RichardsClaudio SerafinoJosie RizalNew character
New characterNew characterNew characterChun-Li (guest)New characterNew characterNew characterNew character

*The idea is that Kazuya takes over the Mishima Zaibatsu and so he makes a fusion of the Jacks and Gigas

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
While has I say before I don't know too much about Tekken I'm curious, why everybody thinks that there it would be a guest in the base roster?, Akuma didn't appeared until Fated Retribution right?, and the rest of guests weren't canon so I don't understand why almost all prediction rosters I see last time includes a guest.

I don't have anything against them btw, it's just curiosity.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
While has I say before I don't know too much about Tekken I'm curious, why everybody thinks that there it would be a guest in the base roster?, Akuma didn't appeared until Fated Retribution right?, and the rest of guests weren't canon so I don't understand why almost all prediction rosters I see last time includes a guest.

I don't have anything against them btw, it's just curiosity.
Unless I’m mistaken Tekken 7 launched on consoles with Akuma so I guess it’s just not really a stretch of the imagination to assume this one might launch with a guest character too if it won’t release on arcade before console.

Also Akuma was a huge part of Tekken 7’s story and a lot of people found his inclusion really cool so it’s possible they might want to replicate that hype again

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I was bored and so I decided to make a wishlist:

My Tekken 8 wishlist (base game)
Bold and red denotes an unlockable character
Kazuya
Mishima
Jin
Kazama
Jun
Kazama
Ling
Xiaoyu
HwoarangYoshimitsuPaul
Phoenix
Marshall
Law
Nina
Williams
KingKumaJACK-8Lee
Chaolan
Lei
Wulong
RogerMokujin
Bryan
Fury
Eddy
Gordo
Julia
Chang
Steve
Fox
Craig
Marduk
Claudio
Serafino
RavenAsuka
Kazama
Lili
Rochefort
Feng WeiSergei
Dragunov
Alisa
Bosconovitch
Lars
Alexandersson
Bob
Williams
Leroy
Smith
Fahkumram
Lidia
Sobieska
Silat
practitioner
Eskrima
practitioner
Tifa
Lockhart
(guest)
Wonder
Momo

(guest)
Kalaripayattu
practitioner
Vovinam
practitioner
Devil*
(boss)

*Devil is an amalgamation of Jin and Kazuya's Devil Genes who uses both of their moves; he also appears as the final boss of the Campaign and Arcade modes
  • Story Battle
    • Campaign: Witness the final battle between Jin and Kazuya
      • Kazuya reclaims control of the Mishima Zaibatsu and orchestrates the King of Iron Fist Tournament 8 in order to lure Jin out of hiding
      • The fight between them in the trailer serves as a book end; it appears in the first chapter as a flash-forward, and then we cut back to it at the start of the final chapter
    • Arcade: Go through a regular arcade ladder, with each character having their own endings accompanied by a piece of artwork
      • Stage 1
      • Stage 2
      • Stage 3
      • Bonus Game 1: 4-Frame Tekken Bowl
      • Stage 4
      • Stage 5
      • Stage 6
      • Bonus Game 2: 60-second Survival
      • Stage 7: JACK-8
      • Stage 8: Kazuya (permanently transforms into Devil Kazuya when the player is one round away from winning)
      • Stage 9: Devil
        • Win every other battle without losing a round, get all strikes in Bonus Game 1, and last all 60 seconds in Bonus Game 2 in order to fight Devil
    • Vs. Battles
      • Vs. CPU
      • Player vs. Player
    • Training
      • Train away and experiment with your fighting style
    • Survival
      • Defeat as many opponents as you can until you fall
    • Time Attack
      • Defeat the entire cast as quickly as you can
        • In both these modes, opponents appear one after the other instantly after you get a KO and are made considerably weaker
        • Each KO you Score also heals you a bit
    • Ultimate Tekken Bowl
    • With Anyone
    • With Friends
    • Ranked Battle
      • Fight to improve your online rank
    • Quick Match
      • Fight a casual match with someone online
    • Team Battle
      • Form a team of 8 characters and put your team against another
    • Tournament
      • Enter a tournament or create your own
        • 1v1
        • Team Battle Tournament
    • Ultimate Tekken Bowl
  • Others
    • Control Types
      • Modern: A simple control scheme those who have never played Tekken before
      • Classic: The signature 4-button-4-limbs control scheme for Tekken veterans
    • Replays
    • Tips
    • AI Sparring
      • New AI
      • AI Select
      • Delete AI
    • Customization
    • Gallery
    • Tekken Tunes

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It will be interesting to see which characters will make a return although I feel that other than Jin and Kazuya, I expect the likes of Nina, Paul, Law, Yoshimitsu, King and other favourites to potentially make it in to Tekken 8.

KazuyaIsGod

Smash Cadet
yessir the game looks epic and the battle scene for jin and kazuya looks great! Plus Im hoping I can join tekken club again to play it

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • So there is a wall mechanic that is quite similar to Dead or Alive.
  • Jun Kazama is not presumably dead, but she was just missing.
  • There is also this heat mechanic which does add a rather interesting element to the gameplay.

KazuyaIsGod

Smash Cadet
In tekken 5 she was thought dead after the ogre captured her but turned out to be just a kidnap more than an assassin

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I feel like given that tekken tag tournament 2 didn’t do so well we probably won’t get any more tag tournament games so that might result in more characters being revived or retconned as alive (like what happened to jun) to be brought back for the tekken games. Don’t really like that but oh well.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So far the confirmed characters:
  • Jin Kazama
  • Kazuya Mishima
  • Jun Kazama
  • Lars Alexandersson
  • King
  • Jack-8
  • Marshall Law
  • Paul Phoenix
Which other returning characters would you like to see in Tekken 8?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Had this on another thread thread after the 1st trailer, although im already off since i was not expecting Jun. Also now kind of thinking the roster may be a bit smaller than i thought it might be back then.

My Tekken 8 Roster
  1. Kazuya
  2. Jin
  3. Devil Kazuya
  4. Devil Jin
  5. Nina Williams
  6. Anna Williams
  7. Jack 8
  8. King
  9. Kuma
  10. Yoshimitsu
  11. Kunimitsu II
  12. Lee
  13. Marshall Law
  14. Paul Phoenix
  15. Bruce Irvin
  16. Bryan Fury
  17. Hwoarang
  18. Xiaoyu
  19. Panda
  20. Christie Monteiro
  21. Marduk
  22. Asuka
  23. Raven
  24. Lili
  25. Dragolunov
  26. Alisa
  27. Bob
  28. Lars
  29. Leo
  30. Zafina
  31. Eliza
  32. Gigas
  33. Katarina
  34. Lucky Chloe
  35. Shaheen
  36. Leroy
  37. Fahkumram
  38. Lidia
  39. New Character
  40. New Guest (Goh Hinogami from Virtua Fighter)
Also Zasalamel (SoulCalibur) would be cool dlc.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I noticed from the trailer it looks like Jin will have full control over the devil transformation so Devil Jin probably won’t be a separate character slot anymore.

It makes me wonder if Jin would have been the Tekken rep in Smash if Tekken 8 had released before Smash Ultinate did since Sakurai said he wanted someone who could showcase the devil gene

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I noticed from the trailer it looks like Jin will have full control over the devil transformation so Devil Jin probably won’t be a separate character slot anymore.

It makes me wonder if Jin would have been the Tekken rep in Smash if Tekken 8 had released before Smash Ultinate did since Sakurai said he wanted someone who could showcase the devil gene
I personally thought that Jin was going to be the main pick as the Tekken rep for Smash Ultimate considering that he was the main protagonist (although turned antagonist in Tekken 6) since Tekken 3.

But then again, it kind of made sense that Kazuya was chosen since he has been in almost every Tekken game with the exception of Tekken 3 having been thrown in to a volcano after losing to Heihachi in the second tournament. He was then revived by G-Corporation during the events of Tekken 4 and had continued to be in further entries of the Tekken series.

If Jin were to be in Smash, I could see him work as a partial echo character as he does have some moves that resembles Kazuya's.

Which other Tekken characters do yoy think have a possible chance of being playable for the next Smash?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think tekken is a pretty low priority for a second rep and if it does return in the next game it probably won’t get one.

If it did get one it’d probably be Heihachi but I’d probably prefer a non-Mishima as the second rep. Maybe Nina, Law or Paul but Eddy could be a really cool one too.

toonito

Smash Ace
Which other Tekken characters do yoy think have a possible chance of being playable for the next Smash?
Jin, Nina, or King. I also feel in terms of Smash Tekken's probably not a high priority when it comes to multiple reps.

I think tekken is a pretty low priority for a second rep and if it does return in the next game it probably won’t get one.

If it did get one it’d probably be Heihachi but I’d probably prefer a non-Mishima as the second rep. Maybe Nina, Law or Paul but Eddy could be a really cool one too.
i agree that Tekken feels low priority but since Sakurai confirmed Kazuya's Devil gene was a factor as to why he made it in Smash then the hierarchy for Smash might've become Kazuya > Jin > Heihachi

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Id like to see Yoshimitsu as a Tekken / SoulCalibur rep but i doubt they would go that direction over just adding Nightmare & even then I think other namco reps seem more likely.

Although, i am not sure on the echo thing, if they think Jin could be a Kazuya echo & decide to add a few more 3rd party ones maybe another Tekken rep could happen sooner than later.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I came across this live action adaption that was released a long time ago:

Having watched the film recently, I will say it was a really really awful adaption that paid no homage to the video games at all.

KazuyaIsGod

Smash Cadet
hopefully heihachi wont return as a playable characther. cuz in storyline it would make no sense since hes dead

dezeray112

Smash Hero
With Ling Xiaoyu, Asuka Kazama and Leroy Williams all returing for Tekken 8, I wonder who else is likely guarantee to return? In addition, I'm curious to see who and when the newer characters will be shown?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Id say Lidia, Hwoarang, and Yoshimitsu are the next safest imo, with Lili and Alisa not too far behind. Wonder how many newcomers in general we are getting. If only a couple and no guest can picture them waiting quite a bit to show them and maybe even keep one a secret pre-launch too.

D

Deleted member

I feel we'll probably have less newcomers in base than 7 but we'll still get some. I don't think they do the guest character in base thing again but guest DLC is inevitable

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

I feel like the tekken 3 base roster seems like a good selection of characters that basically have to be in every tekken game moving forward with the possible exception of Lei, so I think these characters are basically a necessity.

Technically tekken 7 didn’t have a guest character in its base since iirc he wasn’t in the arcade version so I don’t think it’s too likely to get a guest in the base game here

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Lili is the latest character revealed for Tekken 8. Funny that she has a pet cat named "Salt" whilst Leroys dog is named "Sugar."

Other than that, I think it is safe to say that I do expect Hwoarang and Yoshimitsu to be guaranteed a spot for Tekken 8 for certain.

I feel we'll probably have less newcomers in base than 7 but we'll still get some. I don't think they do the guest character in base thing again but guest DLC is inevitable
I would predict at least 3-4 newcomer characters just to be safe. But then again, anything can happen still.

Top Bottom