• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Techskill=unhealthy?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
DUDE are you SERIOUS

To play Peach to her maximum potential could infact take just as much or MORE input than fox/falco. If you want a easy to succeed without much techskill character, roll with Marth or sheik.
you mean anyone but marth or samus, right?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea Peach can be a really technical character sometimes.

Sheik, actually, can be kind of technical. But not in any ways other than, like, flashy needle tricks.

Marth doesn't really have anything technical. I think Marth is waaaay easier to use than Peach. That's just imo, of course, though.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Peach can be kind of technical. but IMO, the spacies are still the characters that require the most techskill to play well with. Of the top tiers, Sheik is the easiest char to learn and practice with.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Well, I'd definitely say Marth is harder to learn than Sheik because you have to learn a ton of match-ups. With Sheik, you can play in a similar manner against a lot of different characters.

In terms of being technical, I'd say Sheik *can* be more technical. She's just overall faster - a faster faller, faster running speed, faster wavedash, etc. And her needle antics, of course.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
And if you want to see a good samus that doesn't abuse her being an overtechnical character and yet succeed on a much higher level watch Hugs.

G U R U

Smash Lord
And if you want to see a good samus that doesn't abuse her being an overtechnical character and yet succeed on a much higher level watch Hugs.
Agreed. He just jabs and f-tilts and you're sitting there saying to yourself "how the hell is that working?" :laugh:

john!

Smash Hero
It's possible to be a good Peach player having barely any tech skill at all. But to start working tricks into your game like instant FC attacks, wallbombing, chaingrabbing, techchasing/combos, shield pressure, turnip approaches, edgeguarding, and so on, you need to be really precise and have your timings down well. Some don't call this tech skill because you are usually not pressing buttons at blistering speed (except for IFC/SP), but it's a skill that definitely takes work and will elevate you from good to great.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
precision and accuracy are the best kind of tech skill. being fast is overrated.

also, marth is the hardest top tier to learn to play

To whoever said marth is easier to use than peach: i taught a guy who had never played peach -- didnt know about float canceling or anything -- how to play peach in about 5 minutes.

"what should i do with peach?"
Pull a turnip and float cancel an approach behind it.
"whats float cancel?"
When you float and start an air move, then stop floating, you have no lag when you touch the ground. like this *shows him*
"WOW thats crazy good!"

With marth you can't really say approach and space! Its a lot more complicated and you have to learn a lot more situations than peach "If you hit a shield, just dsmash; if they are too close, roll"

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
when i read this thread title, i thought it was actually going to go somewhere

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
You get used to it. Once your mind and fingers work together after training, tech skill becomes painless because you find the quickest and easiest way to do the repeating motions. So instead of jamming it to hard or tapping really fast, you do the EXACT motion smooth and easy. Precision helps the pain go away.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I just remembered after the padding on the analog stick broke off, my left thumb bled after I had first played
now its gotten used to it =D

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If you're not up to playing Melee, play Brawl.
I'd rather die than play brawl.
---
Well, thanks for your answers :) i think I'm going to play Peach, so that will solve the problem anyways. But it's useful to know. :p
a bit extreme

but still lol

my hands hurt on occasion. If I haven't played in a while they feel sort of sore. Like I'm not used to moving them that quickly or something.

Lovage

Smash Hero
my hands usually hurt if i play 2-3 days in a row like 8 or more hours a day (at dunskies' smashfests)
i don't really play during the week so i have time to recover

but i have two caluses on my left middle finger from gripping the controller lol

john!

Smash Hero
precision and accuracy are the best kind of tech skill. being fast is overrated.

also, marth is the hardest top tier to learn to play

To whoever said marth is easier to use than peach: i taught a guy who had never played peach -- didnt know about float canceling or anything -- how to play peach in about 5 minutes.

"what should i do with peach?"
Pull a turnip and float cancel an approach behind it.
"whats float cancel?"
When you float and start an air move, then stop floating, you have no lag when you touch the ground. like this *shows him*
"WOW thats crazy good!"

With marth you can't really say approach and space! Its a lot more complicated and you have to learn a lot more situations than peach "If you hit a shield, just dsmash; if they are too close, roll"
It's funny how you defend Marth against people who underestimate how hard he is to learn... and then massively underestimate how hard Peach is to learn yourself. Dsmash and roll? Wow lol. Do you see the hypocrisy? I could say "space fairs, tilts, and fsmash with Marth, dashdance and grab a lot too" and I bet the newb would be better with Marth in 5 minutes than with Peach.

Marth and Peach are actually quite similar; both require precision, lower than average APM, and are easy to learn and hard to master. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't hold double standards for characters just because you main them...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So if i just removed the last sentence, you wouldn't be offended? can you object to anything else in my post?

can you just tell a new marth "ok when you attack, use your fair". its obvious. you have to be very precise and you have to choose your moves a lot more carefully than other characters.

I don't think it takes more skill to play marth, all characters take equivalent amounts of brain work. Marth just takes a lot more experience, not just learning a few approach patterns or combos. At higher levels of play, it doesn't make any difference because we all have that kind of experience, i'm just talking about starting to play.

edit: and john, the guy wasn't a newb. He plays a lot of other fighting games on competitive levels and the people he was playing vs were around our level. The difference from his fox (his old main) to his peach in 5 minutes was astounding.

Sorry if i offended you or other peach mains with that post, i really didn't mean it like that :/

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it is really good practice to stretch our wrists and fingers daily

especially when we are on computers and stuff all the time

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
For me Tech Skill = really unhealthy, I sit there for hours just trying to learn ledgehop Double lasers and JCshine Bair off stage with accuracy. I end up getting 4 stocked by the COM or something. I wish I could improve my odds of winning with tech skill, but I'm at a point where I just can't learn anything else.

Especially with Fox, and I know it's different for everybody. I'm just one of those players who are kind of destined to play unflashy.

john!

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say I was "offended", no hard feelings. I just think it's simplifying things too much to say that one character is easier than another. Some people are just better with certain characters, because of their strengths and weaknesses. I find Peach easy, but some can't figure her out. Likewise my Falcon is pretty bad, but he feels natural to others. I've heard people say Sheik and Puff are easy... why don't they pick them up as secondaries then? Sounds like johns to me. :p

Also, I agree with your first sentence. Being in control of your character is way more important than being flashy and screwing up.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
i don´t think you´ll get plastic hands in three years xD
it hurts yes, but it will make you harder
it´s just like sport, but extremer :D

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
You know i don't usually get pain in my hands after playing long, but yesterday I did after 6 hours =P

I shook it off though

Dicey

Smash Cadet
NNID
TraplordDicey
When I'm trying to play other games, yeah, it's unhealthy.

Too used to Smash Brothers, I tried to tech in place playing Mario 64 not too long ago.

D

Deleted member

I think Carpal Tunnel syndrome is going to be a common medical diagnosis in the years to come. Young people text on our phones, type on our computer, play video games, play musical instruments, write paragraph after paragraph in school, play sports, etc (I'm sure I've missed a few) basically every day of our lives. All of these things require precise repetitive motions with our fingers and hands.

Actually this makes me feel a bit better (from a study Mayo Clinic in 2001)
"A 2001 study by the Mayo Clinic found heavy computer use (up to 7 hours a day) did not increase a person's risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome."

Also this bit from NIHS.com
"Women are three times more likely than men to develop carpal tunnel syndrome"

"There is little clinical data to prove whether repetitive and forceful movements of the hand and wrist during work or leisure activities can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Repeated motions performed in the course of normal work or other daily activities can result in repetitive motion disorders such as bursitis and tendonitis. Writer's cramp - a condition in which a lack of fine motor skill coordination and ache and pressure in the fingers, wrist, or forearm is brought on by repetitive activity - is not a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome."

The Dark Comedian

Smash Cadet
Once your hands get used to doing the motions consistently, your hands shouldn't hurt. Also, try to play with relaxed/loose fingers and stretch your fingers and wrist to avoid getting cramps and ****.

Top Bottom