• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After seeing the gameplay footage for the Dinosaur Planet prototype yesterday, I wish the N64 version of Dinosaur Planet was finished as I think that version of the game would have been better than the Gamecube of Star Fox Adventures. Being able to play as Fox and Krystal throughout certain parts of the game is how it should have been.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thinking about it now after seeing the Fox model in the Dinosaur Planet prototype we didn't know exist, I find it a little weird Fox, General Scales, ect all kept their originals designs from the N64 to the transition to the GameCube version except Krystal. I don't know why they greatly changed the design for Krystal when they moved Dinosaur Planet to the GameCube. I love Krystal's Star Fox Adventures design much more than her original Dinosaur Planet design, but I feel like had they kept her original design less people would hate her and not see her as nothing more than a furry sex object as that's the only excuse detractors or haters of Krystal have to say about her. Or original design doesn't come off as sexy, so I think more people would be more open minded for her in Smash now had they kept that original design as they wouldn't see her as furry bait. I know it sounds stupid as I love the final design for Krystal that we got, but people that don't like Krystal hate her *** for this reason alone.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Thinking about it now after seeing the Fox model in the Dinosaur Planet prototype we didn't know exist, I find it a little weird Fox, General Scales, ect all kept their originals designs from the N64 to the transition to the GameCube version except Krystal. I don't know why they greatly changed the design for Krystal when they moved Dinosaur Planet to the GameCube. I love Krystal's Star Fox Adventures design much more than her original Dinosaur Planet design, but I feel like had they kept her original design less people would hate her and not see her as nothing more than a furry sex object as that's the only excuse detractors or haters of Krystal have to say about her. Or original design doesn't come off as sexy, so I think more people would be more open minded for her in Smash now had they kept that original design as they wouldn't see her as furry bait. I know it sounds stupid as I love the final design for Krystal that we got, but people that don't like Krystal hate her *** for this reason alone.
I usually try not to think about it so much, but I have to say that it can be very hard to ignore. Many thoughts would race through my head, such as, "Yes, it is fine. Do not think about it, and enjoy the game... (minutes later) Why would someone need to wear that in this setting?... Forget it. It is out of your control... (minutes later) What are they trying to say?..." I do not hate Krystal, and neither do I have reason to. I am not even well acquainted with her as a character, and even want to see her in Smash Bros., but I do know that there are trends in entertainment media, and I cannot help but think of the psychological impacts of certain content. Does it help in any way? Is it encouraging of good behavior?... Or does cause people to devalue themselves in some way? Does it promote vanity?...

As long as it is not destructive, I have no objections. A character design is not inherently bad. For me, it is all about what media can invite people to do or think. If we lived in a perfect world, all would be fair game. However, as things stand, we must ask whether we are hurting or helping the world. We cannot control other people (and we would never sleep if we did), but we can still promote the good.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Naaaah, people would find reasons to hate her regardless. She's A) a female videogame character, B) meant to be attractive, C) a furry, and D) a love interest.

Having her be bald and wearing a one piece doesn't negate any of that. People would nitpick her for having breasts, or being a love interest, or whatnot. They would've found a reason to bash her no matter what, so I'm glad that Rare/Nintendo redesigned her and made her the stand-out character she is today.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just be another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

It's just the fact that she was then suddenly converted into a Star Fox character and began appearing in the series when it had started losing popularity due to the mixed to poor quality of the games that she became an easy target and scrapegoat for fans of Star Fox/Star Fox 64 to point fingers at.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

It's just the fact that she was then suddenly converted into a Star Fox character and began appearing in the series when it had started losing popularity due to the mixed to poor quality of the games that she became an easy target and scrapegoat for fans of Star Fox/Star Fox 64 to point fingers at.
Of course, the fact that Star Fox Zero didn't have her and still ended up being incredibly controversial among fans and critics means they no longer have that scapegoat to point at.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just be another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

Facts. She'd be another forgotten 90s Rareware character like uh... checks notes Timber. Or the Jet Force Gemini twins. Just a relic of the age only occasionally brought up in DK Vine podcasts.

Judging from recent articles by former Dinosaur Planet staff, they were excited to merge their game into the Star Fox IP. They probably figured it would give it way more recognition and lasting appeal, especially since they knew Rare was about to go through a seismic change. This is partly why Krystal survived the Rare transition and still remains relevant amongst fans.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder what might have been if the Rare sale didn't happen at the exact time console generations switched.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Officer Krystal

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I know figure theory is mostly horse****, but it got me thinking, it's a pity we don't have any official figures of Krystal, just a bunch of fanmade ones.
I would love to see Goodsmile make Star Fox Nendoroids. But I figure they'll just do the usual SF64 lineup. But a Krystal figure would be awesome.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know figure theory is mostly horse****, but it got me thinking, it's a pity we don't have any official figures of Krystal, just a bunch of fanmade ones.
I mean, we don't really have figures of the other Rare created characters either like Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, K. Rool, ect. The DKC characters outside of DK and Diddy haven't had a 4 inch articulated action figure since the 90s when Rare was still with Nintendo. And the sad thing is those figures were based off of the cartoon. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it kind of is when they didn't make figures for their video game appearances first and really still haven't. As a action figure collector who's favorite franchises all come from the 90s and 2000s, I feel like we get screwed or next to nothing for action figures unless the IPs are really big franchises or wrestling. You probably don't watch wrestling, but I use to for 9 years and I stopped watching in 2014 when Undertaker's 23 year old Wrestlemania streak ended. I still collect the figures from Mattel and they have amazing selection as not only they make a figure of every wrestler you can imagine, but also figures off of almost every appearance or attire of all these wrestlers. If only these companies that make video game figures would do that for us gamers. That would be a wet dream.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I mean, we don't really have figures of the other Rare created characters either like Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, K. Rool, ect. The DKC characters outside of DK and Diddy haven't had a 4 inch articulated action figure since the 90s when Rare was still with Nintendo. And the sad thing is those figures were based off of the cartoon. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it kind of is when they didn't make figures for their video game appearances first and really still haven't. As a action figure collector who's favorite franchises all come from the 90s and 2000s, I feel like we get screwed or next to nothing for action figures unless the IPs are really big franchises or wrestling. You probably don't watch wrestling, but I use to for 9 years and I stopped watching in 2014 when Undertaker's 23 year old Wrestlemania streak ended. I still collect the figures from Mattel and they have amazing selection as not only they make a figure of every wrestler you can imagine, but also figures off of almost every appearance or attire of all these wrestlers. If only these companies that make video game figures would do that for us gamers. That would be a wet dream.
Oh man, I know that feeling. I was pleased when Power Rangers was getting a revival, until I saw how awful some of the redesigned villains were for the movie. Thankfully they did retro-styled releases of the 90s series, but not every older franchise gets that kind of luck. Often they just make figures based on the latest iteration, and if it's not good and people don't care for it, they just assume nobody wants to see the old ones either lol

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Officer Krystal

This is a hot take but I think Star Fox needs to switch genres to stay relevant. The characters are clearly valued by fans and Nintendo but the games themselves are really dated.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is a hot take but I think Star Fox needs to switch genres to stay relevant. The characters are clearly valued by fans and Nintendo but the games themselves are really dated.
I think what need to happen above all is for Nintendo to stop treating Star Fox 64 as the be all and end all.

I think that they need to give multiplayer a shot again above all else. The common thread I saw with 64 3D and Zero was no player vs player multiplayer.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree. Rail shooters, or ship-based shooters, just aren't really big anymore, or at least not to the level Nintendo would want from Star Fox. it has a wonderful, beloved cast of popular characters that would work in just about any genre. A third person shooter, an X-Com-style tactical game, a Hades-esque rouge-like, a Monolithsoft-style RPG, a Warriors game... they have so many options that don't involve the Arwing, yet they're stuck on 1997 rail shooter gameplay.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
See, I DO think Star Fox could get on by being a rail-shooter if Nintendo simply took the Mega Man route and just released budget priced games at like $20-$30.

Problem is...this is Nintendo we're talking about. They literally charge you $60 for three Mario ROM dumps and an HD up-res of ****ing Skyward Sword. We ain't ever gonna get a $30 Star Fox game lmao

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As repetitive as it got I think Star Link's gameplay style was a good fit for the Star Fox Series.

Imagine that but with the Lylat System's planets, more mission and enemy variance and a progression system that isn't 3/4 locked behind Toys to Life.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
See, I DO think Star Fox could get on by being a rail-shooter if Nintendo simply took the Mega Man route and just released budget priced games at like $20-$30.

Problem is...this is Nintendo we're talking about. They literally charge you $60 for three Mario ROM dumps and an HD up-res of ****ing Skyward Sword. We ain't ever gonna get a $30 Star Fox game lmao
That would be great as a small celebratory anniversary thing, or an NSO exclusive, but I think they mostly want Star Fox to be a full retail package like their other classic IP. I could see them doing that as an addition to something bigger budget, but not as the only way the series would go forward.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree. Rail shooters, or ship-based shooters, just aren't really big anymore, or at least not to the level Nintendo would want from Star Fox. it has a wonderful, beloved cast of popular characters that would work in just about any genre. A third person shooter, an X-Com-style tactical game, a Hades-esque rouge-like, a Monolithsoft-style RPG, a Warriors game... they have so many options that don't involve the Arwing, yet they're stuck on 1997 rail shooter gameplay.
Exactly. I guarantee you that a Star Fox Warriors game would sell super well and make the brand relevant again. The question is whether Miyamoto would want to approve that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Exactly. I guarantee you that a Star Fox Warriors game would sell super well and make the brand relevant again. The question is whether Miyamoto would want to approve that.
On the ground kind of Warriors or some new air combat kind of Warriors is the question. They'd work well on on-foot but we all know that with Nintendo that unless it has Mario or Zelda in it they go into full "Does it have to be a X game?" mode.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Divine Beast segments in Age of Calamity do have me curious how KT would handle a game based around ship/mech combat (assuming it's more expanded than the typical Arwing/Landmaster/3rd thing, hell they'd probably let us have missions in the actual Great Fox) alongside the obvious on foot combat. SF ain't exactly SHMUP/bullet hell all the time but I can easily see the embellished style being not that big of a stretch.

Revali totally makes me wonder how Falco would play in a Warriors game

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd be a little more inclined to move away from a pure rail shooting experience with multiple paths... if we had ever actually gotten one after SF64. Every game after that followed without fail came with an asterisk.

Adventures was a Zelda clone, Assault had on foot segments while not even having multiple paths, Command incorporated RTS elements with a focus on All Range mode, and SF0 hampered the experience considerably via two screen setup. Even as enjoyable Starlink ended up being, it was a shift towards an open world space setting.

While I'll admit realistically the rail shooter isn't ideal for a full retail game these days, I think in many ways SF is one of the lesser examples to use for it, given the series inability to really be one on the last 24 years. I think I'd fully embrace the series going in a new direction if we could at least get one Sonic Mania esque sequel/celebration patterned after the first two games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Warriors settup would be good for a Star Fox game, even if it was all on foot with the Arwings and Landmaster being relegated to super moves.

Base game could be 64 based while the DLC could add characters from later games like having one pack for Adventures/Assault and one for Command.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The Warriors settup would be good for a Star Fox game, even if it was all on foot with the Arwings and Landmaster being relegated to super moves.

Base game could be 64 based while the DLC could add characters from later games like having one pack for Adventures/Assault and one for Command.
And (earlier?) games like Star Fox 2 with Miyu and Fay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And (earlier?) games like Star Fox 2 with Miyu and Fay.
Well here's my full list

Base Game

Initial Cast
Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Slippy Toad
Peppy Hare

Unlocked through story
Kat Monroe
Bill Grey
Wolf O'Donnell
Leon Powalski
Pigma Dengar
Andrew Oikeny

Hidden characters
R.O.B. 64
Miyu
Fey
General Pepper
James McCloud

DLC 1
Krystal and Tricky
Staff moveset for Fox

DLC 2
Dash Bowman
Lucy Hare

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Supposedly, Koei-Tecmo DID pitch a Star Fox Warriors to Nintendo during the Wii U era, but were turned down. It was to have featured some Arwing segments as a kind of limited, stylish thing (probably something akin to the Divine Beasts in AoC, but faster). I would've loved a Star Fox Warriors title because we would've finally gotten to play as more of the cast, and they could've done a storyline other than the Lylat War. Since KT has done a lot of Gundam games, they could have done something in that vein.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I never really believed in the Star Fox Warriors thing, that only really came from Laura Kate Dale who was infamously wrong about everything regarding the Switch's software lineup.

Like this was what she reported what the Switch launch lineup/window was gonna be back in like 2016...yikes.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I never really believed in the Star Fox Warriors thing, that only really came from Laura Kate Dale who was infamously wrong about everything regarding the Switch's software lineup.

Like this was what she reported what the Switch launch lineup/window was gonna be...yikes.
I think like a lot of insiders, she gets a lot of bits of information and has to piece it together. We got a 3D Mario, BOTW, Mario Rabbids and a Mario Kart 8 Port in the first year. A lot of people initially thought Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 were just enhanced ports. Xenoblade got a new game, just not X. Mario Maker may have started as a port before becoming a sequel.

The Pokemon Stars thing was also reported by Eurogamer. It never happened, but people think it was an internal test to see how Pokemon worked on Switch. Pikmin 4 was reportedly rebooted (like Metroid Prime 4), according to Emily Rodgers.

Honestly I'd say a lot of this was closer to reality, with some details skewed, than not. Pretty much everything in there happened, except for some titles that got shuffled around or had development problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom