• All episodes of the new Smash Brothers documentary 'Metagame' are available on Vimeo! Get Metagame Here

• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

• Support SmashBoards and get Premium Membership today!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After seeing the gameplay footage for the Dinosaur Planet prototype yesterday, I wish the N64 version of Dinosaur Planet was finished as I think that version of the game would have been better than the Gamecube of Star Fox Adventures. Being able to play as Fox and Krystal throughout certain parts of the game is how it should have been.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thinking about it now after seeing the Fox model in the Dinosaur Planet prototype we didn't know exist, I find it a little weird Fox, General Scales, ect all kept their originals designs from the N64 to the transition to the GameCube version except Krystal. I don't know why they greatly changed the design for Krystal when they moved Dinosaur Planet to the GameCube. I love Krystal's Star Fox Adventures design much more than her original Dinosaur Planet design, but I feel like had they kept her original design less people would hate her and not see her as nothing more than a furry sex object as that's the only excuse detractors or haters of Krystal have to say about her. Or original design doesn't come off as sexy, so I think more people would be more open minded for her in Smash now had they kept that original design as they wouldn't see her as furry bait. I know it sounds stupid as I love the final design for Krystal that we got, but people that don't like Krystal hate her *** for this reason alone.

Doc Monocle

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about it now after seeing the Fox model in the Dinosaur Planet prototype we didn't know exist, I find it a little weird Fox, General Scales, ect all kept their originals designs from the N64 to the transition to the GameCube version except Krystal. I don't know why they greatly changed the design for Krystal when they moved Dinosaur Planet to the GameCube. I love Krystal's Star Fox Adventures design much more than her original Dinosaur Planet design, but I feel like had they kept her original design less people would hate her and not see her as nothing more than a furry sex object as that's the only excuse detractors or haters of Krystal have to say about her. Or original design doesn't come off as sexy, so I think more people would be more open minded for her in Smash now had they kept that original design as they wouldn't see her as furry bait. I know it sounds stupid as I love the final design for Krystal that we got, but people that don't like Krystal hate her *** for this reason alone.
I usually try not to think about it so much, but I have to say that it can be very hard to ignore. Many thoughts would race through my head, such as, "Yes, it is fine. Do not think about it, and enjoy the game... (minutes later) Why would someone need to wear that in this setting?... Forget it. It is out of your control... (minutes later) What are they trying to say?..." I do not hate Krystal, and neither do I have reason to. I am not even well acquainted with her as a character, and even want to see her in Smash Bros., but I do know that there are trends in entertainment media, and I cannot help but think of the psychological impacts of certain content. Does it help in any way? Is it encouraging of good behavior?... Or does cause people to devalue themselves in some way? Does it promote vanity?...

As long as it is not destructive, I have no objections. A character design is not inherently bad. For me, it is all about what media can invite people to do or think. If we lived in a perfect world, all would be fair game. However, as things stand, we must ask whether we are hurting or helping the world. We cannot control other people (and we would never sleep if we did), but we can still promote the good.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Naaaah, people would find reasons to hate her regardless. She's A) a female videogame character, B) meant to be attractive, C) a furry, and D) a love interest.

Having her be bald and wearing a one piece doesn't negate any of that. People would nitpick her for having breasts, or being a love interest, or whatnot. They would've found a reason to bash her no matter what, so I'm glad that Rare/Nintendo redesigned her and made her the stand-out character she is today.

Dinoman96

Smash Champion
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just be another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

It's just the fact that she was then suddenly converted into a Star Fox character and began appearing in the series when it had started losing popularity due to the mixed to poor quality of the games that she became an easy target and scrapegoat for fans of Star Fox/Star Fox 64 to point fingers at.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Master
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

It's just the fact that she was then suddenly converted into a Star Fox character and began appearing in the series when it had started losing popularity due to the mixed to poor quality of the games that she became an easy target and scrapegoat for fans of Star Fox/Star Fox 64 to point fingers at.
Of course, the fact that Star Fox Zero didn't have her and still ended up being incredibly controversial among fans and critics means they no longer have that scapegoat to point at.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I don't think people would think much of Krystal had Dinosaur Planet remained the way it was intended to be, she'd just be another oddball obscure Rare character like Juno/Vela and Cooper.

Facts. She'd be another forgotten 90s Rareware character like uh... checks notes Timber. Or the Jet Force Gemini twins. Just a relic of the age only occasionally brought up in DK Vine podcasts.

Judging from recent articles by former Dinosaur Planet staff, they were excited to merge their game into the Star Fox IP. They probably figured it would give it way more recognition and lasting appeal, especially since they knew Rare was about to go through a seismic change. This is partly why Krystal survived the Rare transition and still remains relevant amongst fans.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
Premium
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder what might have been if the Rare sale didn't happen at the exact time console generations switched.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Top Bottom