• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Krystal Art by Maria Reyes Art

There was a problem fetching the tweet

She also did some art of the other Star Fox characters as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if Krystal's brother from Dinosaur Planet was in Star Fox Adventures instead of being completely eraised and replace by Fox, what do y'all think his role would be? I could see Fox still stealing the spotlight from him and his sister, but him having maybe even more of an active role than Krystal helping Fox out more about the staff's abilities.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
we really need a new starfox game that:

It has gameplay of starfox assault.
is not a remake of the original story.
rescues Star Fox 2 characters.
has a well written Krystal.
Tons of character interactions kinda like command.

I don't think is really that complicated to pull through in teh right development team.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Star Fox I have some doubts about Nintendo returning directly to the on foot gameplay elements from Assault, if only because they've recently demonstrated a tendency to not let its franchises compete in the same lane as far as genre. Given the widespread popularity of Splatoon, I can easily imagine them concluding that another franchise with prominent third person shooter elements is redundant. Realistically you could greatly differentiate the the two in all sorts of ways, but I don't get the sense they'd go that way.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter, though. Star Fox Assault was more like an action/adventure game where you happen to shoot things. I think they're different enough that Nintendo wouldn't think of them as competitors. It's not like Mario Kart vs. F-Zero vs. Diddy Kong Racing, where they're all pure racing games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Literally Fox's role, minus the airships.
But if that was the case, wouldn't he be the main protagonist of Star Fox Adventures instead of Fox since he would probably have more screentime and gameplay segments?

I like that. I'd especially like to see Miyu in the next Star Fox. Maybe she can be a love interest for Falco.
I'm not sure if Falco will ever fall in love with how his personality is. I think if he did ever fall in love, he would fall for a girl that has a similar personality to his or just a real bad*** girl in general or both.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
As far as Star Fox I have some doubts about Nintendo returning directly to the on foot gameplay elements from Assault, if only because they've recently demonstrated a tendency to not let its franchises compete in the same lane as far as genre. Given the widespread popularity of Splatoon, I can easily imagine them concluding that another franchise with prominent third person shooter elements is redundant. Realistically you could greatly differentiate the the two in all sorts of ways, but I don't get the sense they'd go that way.
You say that, and yet they released Kirby Star Allies, New Super Mario Bros. U DX, DKC: Tropical Freeze DX and Yoshi's Crafted World within a year of each other. I don't think they care much about releasing games of the same genre in the same console cycle :p

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Yes. That's what I was saying.
Excising Krystal from the game would confuse and enrage a lot of people. I think the better scenario would be to go to the original Dinosaur Planet intentions and make her the other playable/co-op character. Have her and Fox team up the whole game. Could even use each Joycon as a controller.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Excising Krystal from the game would confuse and enrage a lot of people. I think the better scenario would be to go to the original Dinosaur Planet intentions and make her the other playable/co-op character. Have her and Fox team up the whole game. Could even use each Joycon as a controller.
That would be great. Another cool idea would be if they did a Krystal spin off during her days on Dinosaur Planet before the events of Star Fox Adventures. A spin off like that would kind of be like Nintendo's portrayal of Dinosaur Planet without Star Fox. I would love to see that. We would see more character development from Krystal.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm not sure if Falco will ever fall in love with how his personality is. I think if he did ever fall in love, he would fall for a girl that has a similar personality to his or just a real bad*** girl in general or both.
Doesn't Miyu have a feisty personality? I confess I haven't actually played Star Fox 2 (and if it stays exclusive to the Super NES Classic, I probably never will).

You say that, and yet they released Kirby Star Allies, New Super Mario Bros. U DX, DKC: Tropical Freeze DX and Yoshi's Crafted World within a year of each other. I don't think they care much about releasing games of the same genre in the same console cycle :p
To be fair, all of those games are about as different as four 2D platformers can possibly be. "We don't like to release games that are too similar" sounds like an excuse to not make more F-Zero, not an actual rule they ever seriously follow.

Last edited:

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, all of those games are about as different as four 2D platformers can possibly be. "We don't like to release games that are too similar" sounds like an excuse to not make more F-Zero, not an actual rule they ever seriously follow.
Right, but it did result in"2D Platformer Fatigue" for some, I imagine. Nintendo largely doesn't bother with 3D platformers besides Mario nowadays. But really I was providing those titles as an example of Nintendo not caring too much about having more than one IP in a genre in a single system cycle (or even a year). They can have more third person shooters besides Splatoon. They can have more racing games than Mario Kart. They just prioritize certain IPs because they make insane sales, while others are niche.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Doesn't Miyu have a feisty personality? I confess I haven't actually played Star Fox 2 (and if it stays exclusive to the Super NES Classic, I probably never will).

I never played Star Fox 2 so I wouldn't know.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
A fan artists take on Krystal's old concept art.

I could see this design being used as well.
So if Krystal's brother from Dinosaur Planet was in Star Fox Adventures instead of being completely eraised and replace by Fox, what do y'all think his role would be? I could see Fox still stealing the spotlight from him and his sister, but him having maybe even more of an active role than Krystal helping Fox out more about the staff's abilities.
No doubt an npc that tried to save his sister but ended up captured. Then you would regardless have to do what he failed to.

I just cant see Fox sharing the spotlight after all the canon games. That is one thing I did like about Command. Seeing other characters being playable for once was fresh.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would someone here mind making a Miyu and/or Fay thread as a back-up plan? Just in case Krystal still doesn't end up working out.
I wish someone would come along and make a Leon Powalski thread as well since I think he would be a potential good Wolf Echo. Plus, Wolf is all alone against Fox and Falco in the roster so having another Star Wolf member would seem like it would balance things in my headcanon. Might have to create the thread myself for Leon Powalski.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I wish someone would come along and make a Leon Powalski thread as well since I think he would be a potential good Wolf Echo. Plus, Wolf is all alone against Fox and Falco in the roster so having another Star Wolf member would seem like it would balance things in my headcanon. Might have to create the thread myself for Leon Powalski.
Despite being unfamiliar with the Starfox series as a whole, I really like the idea of a Leon thread. Please do that! I also think Panther would be interesting, and for some odd reason, I can imagine a certain non-echo moveset for him. Here is one thought I had a while back:

Instead of a reflector for his down special, Panther draws out a rose that can be thrown for minor damage. Wherever it lands, it emits a small field. When Panther is in proximity of the rose (indicated by the field) all of his attacks are sped up, empowered, and/or extendable.

In his idle stance, and in certain attacks Pather places one hand on his hip.

Jab: Extend one palm outward.

Ftilt: Lean forward, cutting across with a knife hand, with the other hand on the hip.

Usmash: The showoff does a handstand. While near the rose, the attack can be extended into a spinning handstand with legs on either side extended.

Dsmash: Quickly stomp forward an back with one foot. While near the rose, the attack emits a shockwave similar to Falco's Brawl Fsmash.

Fsmash: A leaping spin kick often seen in kickboxing.

Panther runs on all fours, has a very slow, erect walk, and a running speed about like Fox's. Great contrast.

Side Special: Panther pounces forward like the wild cat, striking a nearby opponent with an unblockable attack having the 'slash' effect.

Neutral Special: Holding a gun with one hand, Panther spins around before firing three shots with projectile speeds similar to Falco's and range equivalent to Fox's. The attack has high start up, but can be angled and reversed while he is firing.

Up Special: With arms folded across his chest, Panther spins forward in an arc in front of him, feet first. It is mediocre as a recovery move, but comes out much more quickly than Fire Fox, Fire Bird, and even Fire Wolf, and has extended arc when initiated near a rose.

Final Smash: Summon a Landmaster with the same properties as Wolf's in Brawl.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Despite being unfamiliar with the Starfox series as a whole, I really like the idea of a Leon thread. Please do that! I also think Panther would be interesting, and for some odd reason, I can imagine a certain non-echo moveset for him. Here is one thought I had a while back:

Instead of a reflector for his down special, Panther draws out a rose that can be thrown for minor damage. Wherever it lands, it emits a small field. When Panther is in proximity of the rose (indicated by the field) all of his attacks are sped up, empowered, and/or extendable.

In his idle stance, and in certain attacks Pather places one hand on his hip.

Jab: Extend one palm outward.

Ftilt: Lean forward, cutting across with a knife hand, with the other hand on the hip.

Usmash: The showoff does a handstand. While near the rose, the attack can be extended into a spinning handstand with legs on either side extended.

Dsmash: Quickly stomp forward an back with one foot. While near the rose, the attack emits a shockwave similar to Falco's Brawl Fsmash.

Fsmash: A leaping spin kick often seen in kickboxing.

Panther runs on all fours, has a very slow, erect walk, and a running speed about like Fox's. Great contrast.

Side Special: Panther pounces forward like the wild cat, striking a nearby opponent with an unblockable attack having the 'slash' effect.

Neutral Special: Holding a gun with one hand, Panther spins around before firing three shots with projectile speeds similar to Falco's and range equivalent to Fox's. The attack has high start up, but can be angled and reversed while he is firing.

Up Special: With arms folded across his chest, Panther spins forward in an arc in front of him, feet first. It is mediocre as a recovery move, but comes out much more quickly than Fire Fox, Fire Bird, and even Fire Wolf, and has extended arc when initiated near a rose.

Final Smash: Summon a Landmaster with the same properties as Wolf's in Brawl.
Leon or Panther would be pretty cool as well. Just talking about them makes me want a Star Fox Assault 2.

Top Bottom