• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
They can't just dodge the other pikmin and head straight for Olimar.
Even without their hammers, Oli is screwed at close range. His whistle isn't gonna give him invincible frames in this type of fight.

arch knight

Smash Lord
The pikmin are roughly half the size of olimar with enough brain power to avoid attacks the pikmin are faster than IC.
They cannot be crushed by a hammer.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I didn't read how this fight is taking place (whether Oli is Brawl hieght or canon height) but if he is canon height, the hammer would squish him too. If he's Brawl height, they still have basically 2 lives to one, have one if not both of the poisonous pikmin gone, and have one hammer. I like those odds.
Read the OP for a good view of the basic sof this battle.

They can't just dodge the other pikmin and head straight for Olimar.
Even without their hammers, Oli is screwed at close range. His whistle isn't gonna give him invincible frames in this type of fight.
Argh... Olimar isn't screwed in melee combat if he has poisonous gas floating around him. And what makes you think the Climbers can just do away with all the pikmin, whites, and gas?
And lets not forget the Purple's are helpful in close combat.

What it looks like to me is that Olimar has purples on each of his sides to use in an emergency, whites running around fortifying the air, and six other pikmin acting as a shield or projectiles if need be. And the gas itself is a defense for Olimar.

@Joe - yes, but Olimar can win if he's smart...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
there hasnt been much of an arguement for IC there isnt much going for them
Nah, they've definitely got the physical strength advantage, and their weapons are better, the pikmin can't really survive a lot of punishment from them, so without the "onion of poison", Olimar is screwed.

Dragon, your vid literally saved Olimar.

^ if one IC drops, but they only take out the white pikmin (or just 1 white pimin) popo/nana is screwed

I can see the ICs beating olimar if they are smart about it...
So can I, but at the same time, I can see Olimar winning more often then not because the defense is very strong fundamentally.

Especially when you consider that the pikmin defense is gonna be very wide (granted, not everything kills, it varies from slight dizzyness at the absolute edge, to instant death at a close range). The main problem I see is that a lot of the time that the ICs actually succeed in killing the white Pikmin, Olimar will manage to get them to take a breath within the area of effect, if only by making them stay too long. Olimar and everything but the white vs. one IC is definitely Olimars advantage, if barely.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
They have Parkas. Their hoods can be closed further so that they can breathe easier.
Also, they have rope, so they could just catch him with the rope. (running around him and tying him up, the rope is long enough where they could do that).

arch knight

Smash Lord
Olimar has had much more combat and command experience against many different enemies and in different enviroments. the IC havent faced many enemy types or any enviroment outside mountain terrain

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
They have Parkas. Their hoods can be closed further so that they can breathe easier.
Also, they have rope, so they could just catch him with the rope. (running around him and tying him up, the rope is long enough where they could do that).
The poison is about as light as air so the particles are small, if you can breath air through the parkas, they're porous enough to breath the poison. It would only work against larger particles.

The rope's major issue is "what if olimar just grabs it?"

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Breathe easier? No, they cannot breathe AT ALL in a toxic area. Poison = Sad day for the Climbers.
And they would have to be a good distance away from Olimar to wrap him up in a rope, a distance which they cannot possibly do effectively.

@Adum - Thanks. And, yes, the defense of Oli outweighs the offense of the ICs IMO.

arch knight

Smash Lord
Tying him up wont help if the pikmin see him in distress im sure they will eliminate said threat

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Ugh...

I give up. Oli's defense is practically inpenetrable, unless he trips or something.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Er, sorry 'bout that. You got cornered by a bunch of Oli supporters becuz none of the IC supporters are here right now (we must make our move while we can). Its happened to me b4 :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ugh...

I give up. Oli's defense is practically inpenetrable, unless he trips or something.
That's the reason why I support him in this match-up. Would've been better vs. Peach.

Not Zelda though (not as one-sided though).

Actually, Zelda would slaughter Olimar too, she has exactly what ICs need here, a reliable projectile that can be used out of the range of the poison.

Er, sorry 'bout that. You got cornered by a bunch of Oli supporters becuz none of the IC fans are here right now (we must make our move while we can). Its happened to me b4 :)
Hey! I'm a free agent, I just discovered Oli's got this massive exploit and I'm arguing that he's riding it for all it's worth.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I know, I know. :) I know why you're here.

Thus, you're an Oli supporter.
Don't refer to the IC supporters as "fans" then, makes it seem like the people who think Olimar will win are fans too (basically your syntax equated "supporter" and "fan").

Though in general, "supporter" carries a long term connotation, as opposed to "supporting in this conflict".

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Fixed. Terminology is against me right now...and in this case, a "supporter" is one who currently believes his supportee will win or can win based on the information provided.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Fixed. Terminology is against me right now...and in this case, a "supporter" is one who currently believes his supportee will win or can win based on the information provided.
Just busting your chops man.

hey, originally it was all ICs...Olimar just came out of nowhere with teh Ivy-strategy
Yea, blame it on dragon's vid.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I read through the 3 pages i missed
Olimar is going to create a poison shield(ivy stategy whatever) where are the rest of the pikmin in this if they have to protect olimar as well because once the IC's break the defence its all over
are the other pikmin attacking? or are they just sitting there?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
hey, originally it was all ICs...Olimar just came out of nowhere with teh Ivy-strategy
Yea, blame it on dragon's vid.
Actually, I despise the Ivysaur strategy. Its cowardly and vile....but it won the match for Ivy. Will it do the same for Olimar?

@Uncle - The way I imagine it, the others are a part of the defense designed to slow the ICs down when they enter the "fog." maybe they could trip one of the Ics.

UncleSam

Smash Master
@Uncle - The way I imagine it, the others are a part of the defense designed to slow the ICs down when they enter the "fog." maybe they could trip one of the Ics.
so they are in the fog...
that can't happen because the other pikmin aren't immune to the poison only whites
that's racist
. so if Olimar is going to keep the other pikmin inside of it, he's killing off 8 of his 10 pikmin, then what is he going to do?
If he sends the 8 out too attack the IC's then our climber friends will just kill them. eventually olimar will be forced to send out the whites and since the whites wont be focusing on the defence the fog will become less potent giving an opening for the IC's to charge at oli and get him in a position to beat the **** out of him.
Also once pikmin get a far enough distance from olimar they automatically become idle this can be good for the IC's since
-IC's start stalling
-pikmin go idle (idle pikmin don't attack unless attacked first)
-IC's kill pikmin in groups
-IC's take out Oli
If you want to go with the Ivy strategy it puts the other pikmin at a severe risk

and we all know Solimar sucks

UncleSam

Smash Master
not exactly JOE! red yellow and blue are land dwelling while white and purple are cave dwelling. whites, could have developed this toxic gene and yet the other pikmin did not inherit a trait to protect them since no such threat existed on land

UncleSam

Smash Master
in game the breath does nothing to anything,
but since we're appling this to real life and adumbrodeus had argued for so many pages trying to prove that the breath would actually do something this has to affect the pikmin somewhat

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
not exactly JOE! red yellow and blue are land dwelling while white and purple are cave dwelling. whites, could have developed this toxic gene and yet the other pikmin did not inherit a trait to protect them since no such threat existed on land
But remember that white pikmin are created from other species of pikmin. Joe has a good point IMO.

UncleSam

Smash Master
the flower alters the genes it doesn't mean the other pikmin had an immunity beforehand
'cause if they did then why do they get slaughtered when you purposely run into a poison emitter(whatever its named) like an idiot?

UncleSam

Smash Master
if there is no counter-argument to the fault in the Ivy strategy than it ends here... I think

+1 post count

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
the flower alters the genes it doesn't mean the other pikmin had an immunity beforehand
'cause if they did then why do they get slaughtered when you purposely run into a poison emitter(whatever its named) like an idiot?
As for the other pikmin, they're constantly exposed to the outbreath in small amounts, unless they had a natural immunity the poison would build up in them eventually killing them,which makes sense given their similar evolutionary path and biology, it's just something that their biology is unaffected by (and yes, they do have rather unusual biology) but most other things are.
This could help (whooo... that took a while to find).

The enemies that live thru this because they have an immunity against it. This is possible since enemies from the pikmin games have been shown to walk unharmed thru those poison pipes in PIkmin 2; meaning that enemies have some resistance against toxins.
Which might explain why the breath doesn't effect enemies either in addition to pikmin. The Ics wouldn't have that kind of resistance.

UncleSam

Smash Master
This could help (whooo... that took a while to find).
land species of pikmin and cave species haven't had enough contact with each other over time on earth to obtain an immunity unless there is some part of the evolutionary line that I'm missing
they all would of had to come from one species and branched into different sub-species

theories saying 1000's of species just popped out at once has been disproven
meaning that the white pikmin just didn't pop up with all the other ones and co-incided for 1000's of years only to migrate to a different area, the origional species of pikmin would of had to migrated to the caves and adapted to the enviornment giving them these toxic abilities this doesn't mean a similar species from the same line JUST HAPPENS to obtain an immunity.

Which might explain why the breath doesn't effect enemies either in addition to pikmin. The Ics wouldn't have that kind of resistance.
I'm going to ignore this part because I pretty much answered it above

JOE!

Smash Hero
look, if the white pikmin are created from normal pikmin, the normals would have immunity:

To create the poison, something must allready be in the works in the normals, when changed into the whites, that is "activated".

the whites have THE SAME STRUCTURe as the normals, except they are smaller and have a poison gland.

Seeing as they are so similar genetically, a poison that would effect normals, would kill whites

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
@Uncle - Er, uh, I can see what you're saying; I'm not learned in Biology or evolution or whatevs, so I'm not going to try to argue there (there may not be anything to argue anyways). I can name one other possibility...

Pikmin don't really have nostrils (reds have noses, so they might be screwed here), and instead gather energy and nutrients from the flowers on their heads (like a plant?). The pipes that kill them are extremely concentrated and powerful, as the smaller amounts the white pikmin exhale are not. Air-breathers may be much, much more vulnerable to this gas than the respiratory systems of pikmin are.

UncleSam

Smash Master
look, if the white pikmin are created from normal pikmin, the normals would have immunity:

To create the poison, something must allready be in the works in the normals, when changed into the whites, that is "activated".

the whites have THE SAME STRUCTURe as the normals, except they are smaller and have a poison gland.

Seeing as they are so similar genetically, a poison that would effect normals, would kill whites

NO

how much do you know about evolution...
heck dolphins lived on land once
and we came from lancelets
do you know what lancelets are? there fish...
yet we don't have gills...
I'm just trying to say anything can happen in evolution
it doesn't exactly mean the origional species had the attributes of all the sub-species and became specialized...
a lot of insects evolved from anthropods... that lived in the ocean. now look they die in a glass of water.

EDIT: remember what somebody said (it was a couple of pages ago) they respirate through their leaves at the ends of their stems once the poison reaches the leaf and diffuses into all of their cells they die... adumbrodeus stressed on the fact that this is potent stuff

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I, myself, am going to concede this point because I do not know enough to argue evolution. Also, you seem to be right.

I will vouch that Purple pikmin have enough contact with whites to have developed an immunity. They both live underground. But the other six pikmin will have to wait outside the toxins and follow Olimar's orders of survival to the best they can. They might try to sacrifice themselves and bring an IC to the poison, but overall, the ICs will eventually defeat these six, though one Climber might fall with them. Possibly... :)

UncleSam

Smash Master
and also what I said about the idleing affect
if the IC's stall those 6 pikmin might become inactive making them sitting ducks
it makes the *******' jobs easier
although they prolly don know that

Top Bottom