• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jumping

BMunich16

Smash Apprentice
I use tap jumping instead of the jump button (by the way, I use a wii-mote w/ Nunchuck) and have not found anyone else who has. Any opinions on it? Does it hinder my gameplay? What are your opinions on it?

UncleSam

Smash Master
well with a wiimote and nunchuck your sort of forced to use tap jump unless you completely alter the controls, I use a gamecube controller and have tap jump off but that's just because I'm like that, a lot of people keep tap jump since you can upB OOS easier

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Theres a really good snake player named Ultimate Razor who uses the wiimote and nunchuck. I would ask him for his controls cause he is seriously good. I doesnt look like the wiimote\nunchuck combination is hindering him at all.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
But he's asking about Tap Jump, Bellioes. I remember Razer posting that he keeps tap jump off.

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
It's probably just your preference. It doesn't hinder your gameplay once you get use dto playing it that way. Most people don't use it because they learned that way and are skeptical to try anything new as they think it can throw them off.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
@ Bakithi Oh I didnt know that. Well if he doesnt use it, maybe you should consider trying to play without it. Im not saying you have too but just try it and see which one feels better for you.
Its really a matter of preference and to an extent, character choice ex. With marths I use it for UpBing out of shield while with MK, I turn it off cause I dont want to have to use the Cstick\tilt the control stick each time I want to Uair.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Someone once told me:

Marth: Keep it on.

ZSS: Turn that **** off.

With the exception being character-based situations like that, it's really up to player preference. I play a lot of Melee so I'm used to playing with it on, but I can play with it off if necessary. Honestly, if you're a newer player I recommend that you start by playing with it on; If you play with it off you'll just be spoiling yourself when it comes to performing u-tilts or things like that. My two cents.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
The answer to the controller question is, Use the controller you are most comfortable playing with, If your style fits the wii-mote by all means do your best,

I think that there is a lot of potential to wii-chuk controls thanks to the shake smash option and I would say that the reason you see so few people who use it is because people are just not comfortable using it. Learning a new controller is like learning a character, it takes practice and time and so when people knew they could use the already familiar Gcube controls most decided that they were comfortable what they knew and that is why most people use the gcube controller.

It is all a personal preference

I would guess that most people would say that each controller could be competitively viable except the wii-mote by itself.

Ninjaneos

Smash Cadet
i think its better to use the gamecube controller because the wii mote limits the moves u can do on the gamecube controller such as snake dashing.

YourSuperiour

Smash Rookie
i think its better to use the gamecube controller because the wii mote limits the moves u can do on the gamecube controller such as snake dashing.
I can snakedash with wiimote+nunchuck using shake smash, and most probably using the + pad set to smash also. However, SH is much harder with wiimote.

Answering the topic question, if you can reliably tilt the pad upwards without jumping, good for you, you can keep tap jump on. If not, turn it off. The downside is that you must use an additional button. (duh)

BMunich16

Smash Apprentice
The only real problem with me is that I can't perform an up A attack, or whatever you call it, without jumping. Another problem is when I tried playing without tap jumping, it was extremely hard to switch between Z (dodge/shield), and C (jump), and I usually ended up reacting too late :(

Gaudeo

Smash Cadet
If you're having trouble with u-tilts, turning off tap jumps helps a lot. Otherwise if you need to use your second jump at a very specific time because your recovery is bad or your opponent is hounding you off the stage, I've found it helps with using it unintentionally.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
I use both jumping methods. I just do whichever is more comfortable at the time. I don't even think about it. Works fine. I have no trouble with Utilts and such.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I use the tap jump method. And no, it doesn't hinder your gameplay. But if you were using the button jump before, it does hinder gameplay because it's a little harder to u-tilt.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah I played melee so I learned to Utilt and Uair without jumping. So playing with tap jump on isnt too much of a problem for me. I do though turn it of for specific characters (ex. MK as I mentioned earlier)
It really depends on the player on whether you want to play with it on or off

Coney

Smash Master
I don't know about anyone else but I can't play characters that have strong uairs (Mario, Weegee, etc.) with tap jump on. I always end up accidentally overshooting the opponent by jumping.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I use Tap Jump. Even when playing ZSS. I can do her boosted jump with no prob. Twice (I don't use my double jump). Although it is hard to U-Air w/out double jumping. And U-Tilt.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
If you're having problems doing Uair without double jumping, you can always use the C-Stick. However, Utiltis a different matter... I can never do it with tap jump set on.

Gay Luigi

Smash Rookie
Nobody uses the stick. The stick is unaccurate and you would be going left or right instead of going up.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
If your talking about the cstick, plenty of people use it. I use it to do falling Uairs with certain characters (like Wario) But it depends on the player. Some like it, others dont.

BMunich16

Smash Apprentice
People keep mentioning game cube controllers, do people think they are better because you can do more things with them, or because they were used to them from melee? Because I never had GC and rarely played melee.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I think its cause the buttons are close together and also because people are familiar with it from melee so they didny want to switch.

§witch

Smash Lord
There's nothing you gain out of turning tap jump off. Utilts are easier I suppose, but they're still easy to do with tap on.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I never use "tap jump" for actual jumping. It is always to pull of moves such as UpB out of a shield. The jump buttons provide so much control and also it is a hell of a lot easier to short hop.

salaboB

Smash Champion
There's nothing you gain out of turning tap jump off. Utilts are easier I suppose, but they're still easy to do with tap on.
There's nothing you gain with tap jump on. Usmash and Up-B OoS are easier but you can still do them with tap off.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
DACUS, Reverse Usmashes, and forward Hydroplanes(Squirtle), are all considerably easier with tap jump off. I could argue that Dashdancing is as well, but chances are if you Dashdance now, you did it in Melee and thus can do it regardless of your controller setting. Also, characters that totally rely on Tap Jump like Wario, Bowser, and Marth are few and fare between, so it's not THAT important for most casual players, I guess.

In all honesty though, tap jump on or off depends on the character, imo. With Yoshi, you'd never want to waste your double jump unintentionally, regardless of how rare such an occasion would be, so you probably would want it off. Lucario gains no benefit whatsoever from tap jump on aside from the occasional meteor cancel, as his usmash and up B are generally bad OoS, and he doesn't need to autocancel. On the same note, Sheik requires absolute ABSURD timing without tap jump to pull off her DACUS. Falco's DACUS and Squirtle's forwards Hydroplane also considerably easier without tap jump. Meanwhile, characters like Wario and Kirby require tap jump for extra maneuverability in the air, characters like Marth and Bowser require it for up B/Usmash OoS, and characters like Ganondorf and Pikachu can more easily autocancel with tap jump.

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
I se Wiimote with Nunchuck, Tap jump off and it makes U-tilts a whole lot easier. I've tried the Gamecube controller once and I only have one thing to say - Never again. It just doesn't feel right.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I se Wiimote with Nunchuck, Tap jump off and it makes U-tilts a whole lot easier. I've tried the Gamecube controller once and I only have one thing to say - Never again. It just doesn't feel right.
Thats just dumb. Wii and Nunchuck really isn't recommended because of your much more limited options. Switch to GC, a while ago it took me like a week to switch over it felt so weird. I use the GC now, so much better.

Volts

Smash Cadet
I only have a problem with it when I play with King Dedede, it becomes really annoying trying to do his up tilt. But with other characters, like Kirby and Meta Knight, it becomes really helpful for air combos. I don't really use it in general when I play Diddy so I usually turn it off.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I hate tap jump. If you have it on it is very hard to up air without using your other jump, then you can do many hits in the air and you can't get back on ='(. Plus trying to up tilt makes you jump a lot of the time, unless you are really good at it.

SexTornado

Smash Journeyman
I use tap jumps as jiggly and mk but for almost everyone else I keep it off because I have troubles using u tilt with it on.

Top Bottom