• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on/off

BeaR_is_ClutcH

Smash Rookie
I've been playing with tap jump since I started playing SSB, it would be too much of a pain to switch it now

TheMike

Smash Lord
I have it off for the same reason as the guy above, WAAAYYYY easier utilts and even dacus and whatnot.
What about Up B OoS? Obviously, if you're playing with a character with a good one, like MK and Marth. I find no problems using DACUS with tap jump on...

This depends on your character, but IMO, tap jump off > tap jump on.

What about Up B OoS? Obviously, if you're playing with a character with a good one, like MK and Marth. I find no problems using DACUS with tap jump on...

This depends on your character, but IMO, tap jump off > tap jump on.
UpB OoS. My solution is just have one of the y or x buttons swapped for special setting. Hold shield, press up and then press jump followed quickly by that special button that was assigned.

That is what I like about brawl being able to customize the controls. YOu can work around problems that you typically have with easier controls to get used to. I played melee and smash 64 for years and could never get used to tap jump. Any Uair or utilt stuff was a pain.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Every single technique done with tap jump on is possible with tap jump off. It's just a matter of preference. One is not better than the other.

/thread

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I play with default settings on all my characters, Sonic, Diddy, and MK

i just use default on all characters really

Sliq

Smash Master
I instinctively hate everyone who alters their controls. Seriously, why learn to be technically good enough to tilt instead of smash when I can turn the option off! See you later, skill, here comes the a-hole express! Wasting your time changing my controls since 2008.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I guess you really hate me then.
And thats not the only reason some people turn it off......
I also changed my right trigger to attack. Get at me xD

Sliq

Smash Master
I just find it incredibly irritating that someone just can't use the normal controls, considering nothing is ****ing wrong with them.

Every tournament someone comes up to me and is like, hey let's friendly, then takes half an hour to setup their ****ing controls.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I just find it incredibly irritating that someone just can't use the normal controls, considering nothing is ****ing wrong with them.
Yeah nothing is wrong with them. But do some people play better with custom controls?

Mhm.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
What about people who don't want to jump when they do Utilt/Uair?

I keep mine off.

Sliq

Smash Master
What about people who don't want to jump when they do Utilt/Uair?

I keep mine off.
You could just TILT THE STICK AND HIT A, or hell, BUFFER INTO IT?

How did people ever up tilt in Melee without tap jump? By being good, that's how.

Yeah nothing is wrong with them. But do some people play better with custom controls?

Mhm.
Or you could just get learn to play. Then you wouldn't have to have the game play better for you. You could do it on your own, like a grown up!

I'm being relatively facetious in the way I'm saying this, but seriously, it's just irritating that the game is already so easy, and people are making it easier to do something that's already EASIER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

It's like watching someone pick peperoni off of a pizza. EAT THE ****ING PEPERONI YOU ********.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have never jumped instead of u-tilt since I started using tap-jump on all my characters. Sliq has every right to be agitated right now. :mad:

Sliq I use y to grab because i think it is easier :)

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
You could just TILT THE STICK AND HIT A, or hell, BUFFER INTO IT?

How did people ever up tilt in Melee without tap jump? By being good, that's how.
Excuse me I have a mental problem where I have to smash the stick on everything.
Which is why I was terrible in Melee.
It's not like it'll kill anyone.....
It's not damaging anyone.....

Llumys

Smash Champion
Here's a quick question for everyone:

YOU MAD?

Hating because someone changes their controls is ridiculous. I'd like to see any of you use Olimar's tether mid-air, let go of it, and jump. In order to do this quickly, it's almost impossible with tap jump on.

Altering your controls isn't something you should be ashamed of. It's legal, and if it benefits you, it's perfectly fine to use it.

Everything is possible with both controls, as I've said before.

Oh, wait-

I USE DEFOLT CONTROLS

U SUCK CUZ IM BETTR

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Jumping with the control stick is not possible with tap jump off :)

Looooooophooooles

Llumys

Smash Champion
Technically, if you press up on the analog stick at the same time as a button set to jump, you'll do a full jump. It even works with tap jump off!

That's jumping with the control stick.

COUNTER-LOOPHOLES!

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Technically, if you press up on the analog stick at the same time as a button set to jump, you'll do a full jump. It even works with tap jump off!

That's jumping with the control stick.

COUNTER-LOOPHOLES!
You can plug the controler out...
OBJECTION!

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I wasnt hatin, I have tap jump off and right trig. set to attack xD

Unless that was at Sliq...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm being relatively facetious in the way I'm saying this, but seriously, it's just irritating that the game is already so easy, and people are making it easier to do something that's already EASIER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

It's like watching someone pick peperoni off of a pizza. EAT THE ****ING PEPERONI YOU ********.
Yup. the game really spoils you in a lot of places.

To contribute, I think it depends on character and play style. Oddly, almost everyone I see play turns it off.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Having tap jump on doesn't give you anything extra.
Lies, you get easy up-b and up-smash out of shield. if you leave it off you would have to input jump then immediately imput up-b/up-smash. Also, tap jump off doesn't give you anything extra.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Tap jump off doesn't give you anything either extra, obviously.

Jumping to a quick special is just as hard as Fox's SHDL in Melee. If you can't handle that, just set an unused jump button to special. This way, your thumb can roll to the other button quickly.

For jump canceling pivots and shields, hitting jumping and A together is easy.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I play with it off, but that's just my preference, I like being able to do u-tilts, u-airs, etc. without the fear of accidentally jumping. I don't think there are any huge, game-winning benefits to be had by having it on.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
Tap Jump on is much better for me. I tried to play with tap jump off, but it makes no difference for me. for a usmash oos i always push y+a, it doesnt matter for me. Its true that its easier to do something oos, but like i said, i had always tap jump off, because it doesnt matter for me.

Sliq

Smash Master
I dont get why this makes you so mad o_______o
I don't really get that mad, hence why I put the disclaimer at the end of my post about being facetious, but apparently no one reads or knows what facetious means. It's more of a mild annoyance that repeatedly happens, like phone calls from telemarketers or assassination attempts.

Sliq I use y to grab because i think it is easier :)
This is sort of my point. The ease of hitting one button over another is almost moot, on the grounds that hitting both is easy. My dispute comes from Brawl making everything easier, and in turn, making already easy things easier. There are no quarter circles, half circles, full circle inputs. It's direction and button. If you need help with even that, there is no hope for the future.

Excuse me I have a mental problem where I have to smash the stick on everything.
Which is why I was terrible in Melee.
It's not like it'll kill anyone.....
It's not damaging anyone.....
Calling someone a ****** won't kill them either, but it will still piss them off. Throwing popcorn at someone in a movie theater won't kill them, but I'm sure it'll annoy the **** out of them.

Here's a quick question for everyone:

YOU MAD?
Based off the length of oyur post, I'd say we're equal. Also, look up the word facetious please. Thank you.

Hating because someone changes their controls is ridiculous. I'd like to see any of you use Olimar's tether mid-air, let go of it, and jump. In order to do this quickly, it's almost impossible with tap jump on.
There is nothing that in Brawl even remotely as technical in every other fighting game, so the small trifle of doing whatever the **** you just said is a moot point. Red parry in third strike has a 1 frame window. I don't recall the frame data for Guilty Gear, but I'm sure Roman Cancels have a small frame window, something like 3 frames maybe.

Smash is getting to the point where you hit A and your character does a combo for you. It's like ****ing Final Fantasy, for Christ's sakes.

Altering your controls isn't something you should be ashamed of. It's legal, and if it benefits you, it's perfectly fine to use it.
I never said it wasn't perfectly fine, I expressed MY OPINION that it superfluously pampers the player and is incredibly annoying. Keep doing whatever you want, but just know I hate you.

Everything is possible with both controls, as I've said before.
Right, but one doesn't involve wasting everyone else's time.

Oh, wait-

I USE DEFOLT CONTROLS

U SUCK CUZ IM BETTR
Speaking from a technical standpoint, players that do not require the luxury are indeed more talented as they have a better understanding of how the game mechanics operate and are better at executing said commands. I just said what you said, except I don't look like a ****head doing so.

Oh, sorry.

Anyway, stop hating on people who change their controls.
I'll compromise with you. You stop wasting my time with your custom controls, I'll stop being pissed about it.

@ zeldspazz: Yes, it was aimed at Sliq. I have tap jump off, L set to attack, and X set to special.
facepalm.jpeg

Yup. the game really spoils you in a lot of places.

To contribute, I think it depends on character and play style. Oddly, almost everyone I see play turns it off.
Awesome point making areas in bold. Also, the fact that everyone turns it off is what is annoying. If hardly anyone did it, it would waste a lot less time.

I play with it off, but that's just my preference, I like being able to do u-tilts, u-airs, etc. without the fear of accidentally jumping. I don't think there are any huge, game-winning benefits to be had by having it on.
It's not about the benefits of having it on, it is about the skill required to be able to execute it without constantly jumping like a noob. That and the time wasting.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Having tap jump on doesn't give you anything extra.
Meteor Canceling.

There's nothing wrong with any sort of "easy mode" for controls. If you're having trouble with something and feel like a change of controls would suit you, then Sakurai made it so you can do that. I have a flat thumb, so it's sometimes hard for me to nair oos with the buttons due to being unable to roll my thumb from X/Y to A as easily, so instead I turned R to attack and use it for Nair oos. Yes, I'm taking the easy way out, but the point is that skill isn't determined by how awesome you are at the controls, but rather how well you perform at reading your opponent. If the controls bug you, you shouldn't be limited by them. Many potentially good players had extreme difficulty in Melee with tech skill, and were often unable to perform as well in that environment with such a handicap as being unable to move their fingers fast enough to perform certain maneuvers and techniques, like waveshining. If you can make it easier on yourself by turning tap jump on/off, or changing a button layout, then there's no real reason why you shouldn't.

tl;dr You already have your opponent and the stage to worry about. Why would you want to tack on uncomfortable controls to that list?

One thing I will say though, is that if you're having trouble tilting the stick for tilts, then you also need to remember that in Melee, buffering did not exist, so it was in one way easier to perform utilts out of moves because you didn't run the risk of jumping after it was done instead of jumping from a buffered up input. However, if you're having trouble utilting outright, then finger control exercises may actually help you improve your game overall, since buttons won't be able to fix that.

On a side note, I find it hard as hell to perform DACUSs with Falco and forwards hydroplanes with Squirtle when I have tap jump on. For some odd reason, I can't move my left thumb fast enough to the right angle to get a proper usmash off and keep boost grabbing or doing nothing, or just usmashing in place. With it off, I am able to do it much easier and then am able to concentrate more on hitting my opponent with it than "will I connect with it this time?"

One last thing... I fear for any Yoshi main who has tap jump on. It's so easy to get over-excited that one time you use up B before your double jump (which is generally how Yoshis recover) which costs you the stock, and possibly the match. It's somewhat sad to see that happen, and with a risk/reward ratio for a character who can't even jump out of shield or usmash out of shield, why the hell should he even have tap jump on? What gain does he possibly get? Meteor canceling doesn't help much if you die by somehow being hit out of your double jump, regardless, so I don't see the point of ever putting tap jump on for Yoshi, unless you're a beast with Waveyoshing. While not as extreme, there are some characters like this who gain almost absolutely nothing from tap jump, so there's really no reason to limit them with it.

It's like putting a Self-destruct input on your controller when you press A for too long, when you can just turn it off. What possible gain could you have? Why the hell would you want it on if can never do anything to ever possibly help you?

On a side note, I will say that turning tap jump on really helped my game as it made quite a few things, like out of shield aerials, much easier. I have a feeling that this discussion would be around even if the default was no tap, and Sakurai felt like putting tap jump on only as an extra option. "Why put easy mode and let you usmash out of shield without pressing a button to jump?" "Why put easy mode and let you meteor cancel without worry?" "Why put easy mode and let you instantly DJFair for easier autocanceling on platforms with Marth?" "Why put easy mode and let you use aerials oos and autocanceling by simply holding up then a direction on the c-stick?" "Why put easy mode and have two shield buttons so you can wavedash out of shield easily?"

God, I hate my flat thumb.

Besides, Sliq. You use Bowser. Stop wasting our time and kill us already with Meta Knight. Bowser takes too long to win with.

If nobody bothered to read all that, tl;dr some people and some characters get absolutely no gain from the default controls due to physical and/or mechanics-based limitations on their part. If they're not going to ever get any sort of possible benefit at all ever, why the hell should you throw this stupid, completely useless tech that makes it hard as **** to DACUS and perform certain techs like ledge-running(lol), with the added bonus of costing you a stock or match every 50 matches because you get overexcited and screw up your utilt/double jump? Also main Meta Knight.

However, if you are maining a character that actually does get significant boosts out of having tap jump on, such as Marth, or if you're having trouble autocanceling and/or with directional aerials oos, you really should consider using tap jump on. Tap jump on, while making utilts harder (uairs should be c-stick for the most part, and up bs are usually used after the double jump except for weird/bad characters), really can improve your game as long as it's not a hindrance, like it is with pretty much just Yoshi alone, or to a lesser extent Snake/Falco if you can bair oos fine, etc. Anyways, tap jump on makes quite a few things easier if you remember that buffering aerials with tap jump makes them short hop every time, and that oos aerials, smashes, and sometimes specials, are really freaking good. If you don't use tap jump and never tried it because it was easier to Utilt, you really don't know what you're missing out on. Awhile back, when I used tap jump off nearly exclusively, I used to always have trouble using characters with bad shieldgrabs or fighting characters with long range poking my shield because I sucked and couldn't do anything oos but shieldgrab. Then, I turned tap jump on and started fairing oos, and usmashing/up Bing with some characters, and now I'm all cool and stuff because I can punish things oos finally, and I can meteor cancel for an added bonus, too. Also if I didn't use R for nair oos I wouldn't waste my opponent's time every match if I forgot to put my custom name on a wii before the tournament started, which is also cool because it would mean that if I didn't use R for nair Sliq wouldn't be pissed at me before the match because I'm taking too long.

One last tip for people with notap. You don't have to hold all the way to get an utilt. You can literally just slighty... tilt... the stick and it'll still come out. Remember that it's called a tilt. Just slightly tilt the stick halfway and you'll be fine. You can dtilt for example without crouching if you do it right. That was the tip that got me off of notap for most everyone but Yoshi and Falco.

I bet this entire essay could be condensed down to a paragraph if I tried.

Actually, I think I will. Tap jump is bad for Yoshi. Tap jump makes DACUS and other techs harder for some chars. Some chars don't have good aerials or usmash or up b oos, so tap jump is useless for them. Tap jump would probably be considered easy mode if the default was notap. There's no reason to punish you if you suck and hate the controls. Sliq will love you more if you don't waste his time setting up custom controls before the match. Main Meta Knight instead of Bowser, Sliq. You'll win faster. Tap jump is good, though for most chars and it lets you usmash/up b/aerial oos much easier, autocancel easier, and meteor cancel. Tilt the stick instead of tapping it to do tilts. You can do dtilt without crouching, and utilt without jumping this way.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
brawl cannot be compared with ANY OTHER fighting game (including the other Smash Bros. games)
playing is different
scoring is different
getting KOs is different
combo'ing is different
"specials" are different
few fighting games lets you actually "charge" an attack
and a neverenging list of differences

really, brawl is more mind than skill, and lets you optimize your game by mapping buttons to make them more comfortable (and having not to worry about your lack of skill), why don't just use the option?

as a random fact,
I have
X for jump (I always used it to jump),
Y for specials (pretty easy OoS UpB),
L for jump (prefferently for some specific cases like DDD or Kirby, but I'm pretty comfort with it on a lot of characters), or attack (easier DACUS/hype smash, again, better with some character than others)
and tap jump off (almos always)

I'm REALLY comfort with it, and changing some of them (or having playing default options) maybe won't screw up totally my game, but I'd definetly won't be able to play at my max.

PS. @ sliq: if that makes you "waste your time", you should reconsider going to tournaments

PPS. @ kitamerby: that.

but I use to play Random, and it's a little hart to predict which one is the best, so I use it with OFF, because I'm much more comfort like that (no, I don't play random in tourneys... unless I have to... lol).

Sliq

Smash Master
Meteor Canceling.

There's nothing wrong with any sort of "easy mode" for controls. If you're having trouble with something and feel like a change of controls would suit you, then Sakurai made it so you can do that. I have a flat thumb, so it's sometimes hard for me to nair oos with the buttons due to being unable to roll my thumb from X/Y to A as easily, so instead I turned R to attack and use it for Nair oos. Yes, I'm taking the easy way out, but the point is that skill isn't determined by how awesome you are at the controls, but rather how well you perform at reading your opponent. If the controls bug you, you shouldn't be limited by them. Many potentially good players had extreme difficulty in Melee with tech skill, and were often unable to perform as well in that environment with such a handicap as being unable to move their fingers fast enough to perform certain maneuvers and techniques, like waveshining. If you can make it easier on yourself by turning tap jump on/off, or changing a button layout, then there's no real reason why you shouldn't.

tl;dr You already have your opponent and the stage to worry about. Why would you want to tack on uncomfortable controls to that list?

One thing I will say though, is that if you're having trouble tilting the stick for tilts, then you also need to remember that in Melee, buffering did not exist, so it was in one way easier to perform utilts out of moves because you didn't run the risk of jumping after it was done instead of jumping from a buffered up input. However, if you're having trouble utilting outright, then finger control exercises may actually help you improve your game overall, since buttons won't be able to fix that.

On a side note, I find it hard as hell to perform DACUSs with Falco and forwards hydroplanes with Squirtle when I have tap jump on. For some odd reason, I can't move my left thumb fast enough to the right angle to get a proper usmash off and keep boost grabbing or doing nothing, or just usmashing in place. With it off, I am able to do it much easier and then am able to concentrate more on hitting my opponent with it than "will I connect with it this time?"

One last thing... I fear for any Yoshi main who has tap jump on. It's so easy to get over-excited that one time you use up B before your double jump (which is generally how Yoshis recover) which costs you the stock, and possibly the match. It's somewhat sad to see that happen, and with a risk/reward ratio for a character who can't even jump out of shield or usmash out of shield, why the hell should he even have tap jump on? What gain does he possibly get? Meteor canceling doesn't help much if you die by somehow being hit out of your double jump, regardless, so I don't see the point of ever putting tap jump on for Yoshi, unless you're a beast with Waveyoshing. While not as extreme, there are some characters like this who gain almost absolutely nothing from tap jump, so there's really no reason to limit them with it.

It's like putting a Self-destruct input on your controller when you press A for too long, when you can just turn it off. What possible gain could you have? Why the hell would you want it on if can never do anything to ever possibly help you?

On a side note, I will say that turning tap jump on really helped my game as it made quite a few things, like out of shield aerials, much easier. I have a feeling that this discussion would be around even if the default was no tap, and Sakurai felt like putting tap jump on only as an extra option. "Why put easy mode and let you usmash out of shield without pressing a button to jump?" "Why put easy mode and let you meteor cancel without worry?" "Why put easy mode and let you instantly DJFair for easier autocanceling on platforms with Marth?" "Why put easy mode and let you use aerials oos and autocanceling by simply holding up then a direction on the c-stick?" "Why put easy mode and have two shield buttons so you can wavedash out of shield easily?"

God, I hate my flat thumb.

Besides, Sliq. You use Bowser. Stop wasting our time and kill us already with Meta Knight. Bowser takes too long to win with.

If nobody bothered to read all that, tl;dr some people and some characters get absolutely no gain from the default controls due to physical and/or mechanics-based limitations on their part. If they're not going to ever get any sort of possible benefit at all ever, why the hell should you throw this stupid, completely useless tech that makes it hard as **** to DACUS and perform certain techs like ledge-running(lol), with the added bonus of costing you a stock or match every 50 matches because you get overexcited and screw up your utilt/double jump? Also main Meta Knight.

However, if you are maining a character that actually does get significant boosts out of having tap jump on, such as Marth, or if you're having trouble autocanceling and/or with directional aerials oos, you really should consider using tap jump on. Tap jump on, while making utilts harder (uairs should be c-stick for the most part, and up bs are usually used after the double jump except for weird/bad characters), really can improve your game as long as it's not a hindrance, like it is with pretty much just Yoshi alone, or to a lesser extent Snake/Falco if you can bair oos fine, etc. Anyways, tap jump on makes quite a few things easier if you remember that buffering aerials with tap jump makes them short hop every time, and that oos aerials, smashes, and sometimes specials, are really freaking good. If you don't use tap jump and never tried it because it was easier to Utilt, you really don't know what you're missing out on. Awhile back, when I used tap jump off nearly exclusively, I used to always have trouble using characters with bad shieldgrabs or fighting characters with long range poking my shield because I sucked and couldn't do anything oos but shieldgrab. Then, I turned tap jump on and started fairing oos, and usmashing/up Bing with some characters, and now I'm all cool and stuff because I can punish things oos finally, and I can meteor cancel for an added bonus, too. Also if I didn't use R for nair oos I wouldn't waste my opponent's time every match if I forgot to put my custom name on a wii before the tournament started, which is also cool because it would mean that if I didn't use R for nair Sliq wouldn't be pissed at me before the match because I'm taking too long.

One last tip for people with notap. You don't have to hold all the way to get an utilt. You can literally just slighty... tilt... the stick and it'll still come out. Remember that it's called a tilt. Just slightly tilt the stick halfway and you'll be fine. You can dtilt for example without crouching if you do it right. That was the tip that got me off of notap for most everyone but Yoshi and Falco.

I bet this entire essay could be condensed down to a paragraph if I tried.

Actually, I think I will. Tap jump is bad for Yoshi. Tap jump makes DACUS and other techs harder for some chars. Some chars don't have good aerials or usmash or up b oos, so tap jump is useless for them. Tap jump would probably be considered easy mode if the default was notap. There's no reason to punish you if you suck and hate the controls. Sliq will love you more if you don't waste his time setting up custom controls before the match. Main Meta Knight instead of Bowser, Sliq. You'll win faster. Tap jump is good, though for most chars and it lets you usmash/up b/aerial oos much easier, autocancel easier, and meteor cancel. Tilt the stick instead of tapping it to do tilts. You can do dtilt without crouching, and utilt without jumping this way.
I didn't read this because it was very long, but I liked all the parts with me in them.

brawl cannot be compared with ANY OTHER fighting game (including the other Smash Bros. games)
playing is different
scoring is different
getting KOs is different
combo'ing is different
"specials" are different
few fighting games lets you actually "charge" an attack
and a neverenging list of differences

really, brawl is more mind than skill, and lets you optimize your game by mapping buttons to make them more comfortable (and having not to worry about your lack of skill), why don't just use the option?

as a random fact,
I have
X for jump (I always used it to jump),
Y for specials (pretty easy OoS UpB),
L for jump (prefferently for some specific cases like DDD or Kirby, but I'm pretty comfort with it on a lot of characters), or attack (easier DACUS/hype smash, again, better with some character than others)
and tap jump off (almos always)

I'm REALLY comfort with it, and changing some of them (or having playing default options) maybe won't screw up totally my game, but I'd definetly won't be able to play at my max.

PS. @ sliq: if that makes you "waste your time", you should reconsider going to tournaments

PPS. @ kitamerby: that.

but I use to play Random, and it's a little hart to predict which one is the best, so I use it with OFF, because I'm much more comfort like that (no, I don't play random in tourneys... unless I have to... lol).
I can compare Brawl to cereal if I want to. You are not an authority on where analogies start and stop being relevant. Personally, I find comparing Brawl to other fighting games easier than comparing Brawl to global warming, but to each his own, I suppose.

I also did not read a good portion of your post, but am brimming with excitement in knowing that I still got it.

Edit: I just read the first paragraph, and you can charge Makoto's hayate in 3rd Strike (see character punching like a maniac in my sig).

3rd Strike and Brawl both have block stun (as does almost every fighting game), parrying is equivalent to power shielding, and both games have a wake up game, albeit it actually is an important element in 3rd Strike.

ITT people that only play Brawl tell people who play multiple fighting games that they can't be compared, despite not knowing anything about them.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I didn't read this because it was very long, but I liked all the parts with me in them.
=D

"I bet this entire essay could be condensed down to a paragraph if I tried.

Actually, I think I will. Tap jump is bad for Yoshi. Tap jump makes DACUS and other techs harder for some chars. Some chars don't have good aerials or usmash or up b oos, so tap jump is useless for them. Tap jump would probably be considered easy mode if the default was notap. There's no reason to punish you if you suck and hate the controls. Sliq will love you more if you don't waste his time setting up custom controls before the match. Main Meta Knight instead of Bowser, Sliq. You'll win faster. Tap jump is good, though for most chars and it lets you usmash/up b/aerial oos much easier, autocancel easier, and meteor cancel. Tilt the stick instead of tapping it to do tilts. You can do dtilt without crouching, and utilt without jumping this way."

Also my thumb is flat and it's hard for me to tap Y then A for nairs oos without being uncomfortable and/or slow, so I use R set to attack to let me Nair oos quickly without feeling uncomfortable/hurting my thumb.

Pretty much it just boils down to convenience vs. Sliq's mood at the moment.

Tough choice. I'd rather just set my controls on each wii before the tourney starts so I don't have to make Sliq angry. :<

Personally, I find comparing Brawl to other fighting games easier than comparing Brawl to global warming, but to each his own, I suppose.
I think comparing Brawl to Global warming is probably a good analogy. It's often being compared to its much cooler predecessor (global cooling), is being blown out of proportion (meta knight), people are always complaining about it, people are constantly debating on whether or not it even exists or if it's even a problem (umm.....), and people are constantly trying to find artificial ways to mess with it so that it's less broken and more fun to play (those greenhouse gas-eating machines, new sources of energy to replace oil, etc).

Sliq

Smash Master
Basically, what I took from that is I can compare Brawl to other fighting games because you compared it to something it has less in common with, and it was still relatively logical from a comedic standpoint.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Maybe a wrong place, but I main ROB. Is there any real advantages for ROB with tap jump ON? As many people said that there are no negativities in tap jump once you master it. So is it really worth practicing?

Top Bottom