• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump for Pros?

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've been wondering for awhile, how many top players use tap jump? I personally use tap jump but I've heard that a lot of players play with tap jump off. Yet I see some high level players never make name tags which means they are using tap jump. Does anybody know which top players use tap jump and which don't?

PS
Top players include: M2K, Esam, Vinnie, Ally, ADHD, Nairo, Anti, DEHF

Also, Japanese and European players: Otori, Kakera, Brood, Nietono, Mikeneko, Masha, Abadango, 9B, Leon, Mr.r, Quiksilver, Gluttony, Orion, cyve

And Also Higher level players: Leap of faith Crew (Keitaro, False, Nakat, JBandrew), Mikehaze, Salem, Bloodcross, Will, Trela, Atomsk, NickRiddle, RichBrown, Zinoto, Chibo, Vex kasrani, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

Life

Smash Hero
You really didn't need to namesearch bait that many people :/

I certainly don't count as "pro" but I will say that tap jump makes usmash and upB OOS much easier if you leave it on. On the flip side, it's possible to accidentally jump when you don't want to (especially before doing an upB). It's really kinda minor.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'm totally a pro, right?
I use tap jump off, use X to jump and I have Y set to special. usmash and upB OoS are still super easy, no more accidental jumps when trying to upB/utilt.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
You really didn't need to namesearch bait that many people :/

I certainly don't count as "pro" but I will say that tap jump makes usmash and upB OOS much easier if you leave it on. On the flip side, it's possible to accidentally jump when you don't want to (especially before doing an upB). It's really kinda minor.
They don't have to respond directly, I was wondering if someone out there knew which top players used tap jump

Life

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter. People tend to search their own names on this forum, so if you say their name, their attention turns on you, like Sauron or something. :p

Of course, that's if they namesearch.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I can't say that I'd be considered "pro," but I have tap jump on and I've seen a good deal of success. Then again, Ganon doesn't have a UTilt that requires repeated precise inputs, so I guess he's a character that doesn't suffer from it as much. Not to mention, you can't lift your shield to block pokes like Nado very easily without jumping.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm not a pro at all, but I am an advocate for the default settings in the game. You can do nearly everything that's important in this game with tap jump on (including UTilting). I'm sure everyone knows this though.

As a Bowser player people would probably tell me it's essential to have tap jump on, but it's not necessary at all. Vex played with tap jump off, and he changed his button layout so that one of the shoulder buttons was mapped to jump (I think it was R).

It's all up to preference. Using a tag doesn't automatically mean that they're not using tap jump..some people just want their tags in the match.

joY

Pot splitter
I've never really jumped with the joystick on accident, so I feel no need to turn tap jump off.

If anything, keeping tap jump on will make you more aware of your inputs.

Mr Toast

Smash Cadet
Hometown: Raleigh, NC ... School: Charlotte, NC
A lot of the pros who use tap jump seem to use it only because they play characters that benefit very much from it.
Having tap jump on or off really depends on the characters you are using. Having it on is extremely useful for quick arials that you'd use for spacing or even killing. I use tap jump for pivot Bairs for spacing and killing as characters such as shiek, dk, ike, etc.. (I just find it that much easier to pivot and roll the stick up followed by a flick of the C-Stick). I also use tap jump as marth for retreating Fairs, which can be extremely important to get off quickly for spacing. Oh and of course OOS Up-B.

So yeah it really just depends on who you're playing as. If you use a character that would benefit from it, then you'd better get used to it.

EDIT: Also, you'll stop accidentally jumping after a short time, so don't worry about that :)

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't matter. People tend to search their own names on this forum, so if you say their name, their attention turns on you, like Sauron or something. :p

Of course, that's if they namesearch.
Oh sorry lol. I really didn't mean to do that, I just put that there because some people might not be certain as to who is a "top" player.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
To the other people commenting, thank you for your concern and help, but this forum was meant to find out which of the players that regularly win big tournaments use tap jump. I personally use tap jump and I like it for many reasons. easier to do rising aerials, I personally think it's MUCH easier to do super ramin cancels with tap jump, and I can up tilt just fine. Though from what I'm seeing, it seems like more people use tap jump than I thought. cool :)

jbandrew

Smash Lord
yea i dont use tap jump... if i press up i jump... its annoying. makes uptilts and just makes me not worry about jumping by mistake.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Unless I'm wrong about how changing controls work in this game, M2K uses tap jump since I never see him using a tag.

Also I think your high level player list is dumb. :happysheep:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I used standard controls when brawl came out

switched and eventually developed x for grabbing, which was more consistent. z for attack so i could craq walk and dacus more consistently, and L for jumping so that I could emulate near perfect horizontal air movement + cstick in my game. Then I dropped all of them and played with standard controls (wanted easier transition from melee). Then like 4 months before the last apex I changed everything back and added the addition of having tap jump off. Post apex, I switched my L and R so L is shield and R is jump.

I think anyone can make success with a fairly standard control scheme, I also think not taking advantage of the fact that you can make many things easier/more fluid is weird. I did not want to learn to claw, so I changed my controls lmao.

Either way TJ off for many characters reasonably expands your fluidity in a lot of options.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
TJ-off is a character-specific decision. For ZSS I couldn't imagine playing with it on. If I wanted to seriously play MK I'd turn it back on though.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
I think anyone can make success with a fairly standard control scheme, I also think not taking advantage of the fact that you can make many things easier/more fluid is weird. I did not want to learn to claw, so I changed my controls lmao.
Makes sense, I play with basically standard controls though. I use CCpro however xD. CCpro is underrated. I VASTLY prefer it over gc controller. it's lifespan is triple the time, the button layout is actually a lot more convenient and it has an extra button. plus it's technically wireless. you just have to plug it into the wiimote. but yeah, I mostly use standard layout except my L1 button is set to attack and so is my r2 button. the L1 is for sexy walking and R2 is for dacusing. oh and the r1 button doesn't break after a month and the L2 and R2 aren't huge and clunky, let's you react with shield faster.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
um I'm not sure why it matters which pros use tj on ? but I know of some of the ones you mentioned bc theyre some of my fav players to watch.

m2k on
esam on (not entirely sure)
ally off
nairo on
dehf on
mikeneko off
leon on
mr r off
glutonny off
Orion off
mikeHaze on

that's all I know

:phone:

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
um I'm not sure why it matters which pros use tj on ? but I know of some of the ones you mentioned bc theyre some of my fav players to watch.

m2k on
esam on (not entirely sure)
ally off
nairo on
dehf on
mikeneko off
leon on
mr r off
glutonny off
Orion off
mikeHaze on

that's all I know

This is honestly just out of curiosity. I'd like to know which players do play with TJ on so I can relate to them and see what they do.

Also how does mr.r play with TJ off?? lol i can't do SRCs at all with tap jump off. it's so easy with TJ on though. you just kind of press up and down on the analog stick.

Nido

ily Sebby
Why bother putting melee there you can't alter the controls so it's always on like it or not

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
quiksilver has SJ off so far I know xD I, too, have it off, it's just annoying ****, but the biggest fail ever is, that I sometimes forget to put my tag on, so I play with it without knowing it, and i'm playing better x)

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
I chose to keep TJ on since i thought it would be a good way to increase the tech skill in my everyday game while angling the shield and uTilting.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Why on earth would TJ affect your ability to SRC? Using TJ for SRCs just seems like it would make them unnecessarily harder.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Having tap jump on shouldn't make it harder or easier to do platform cancels unless you aren't used to it. I can do SRCs with tap jump on just fine. :happysheep:

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
I use to play with tj on and it was pretty easy to pc bc u simply flick the control stick up then down.

but with tj off, imo it's easier to do more things out of the pc. src to me is even easier.

for some reason adding more buttons to the equation makes it easier lol

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You don't need an up input for platform cancelling...like, ever.
Unless you're trying to platform cancel --> utilt/usmash/upB.

If you're doing a regular platform cancel, all you have to do is hold down and let go at the correct time.

Top Bottom