• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump - Do you leave it on or off?

Mike35

Smash Cadet
This was mentioned on one of the general boards but I was wondering what other Marth players thought. With tap jump off, the control stick is no longer used as a jump. From what I can see, this helps with any Uair, Utilt or Usmash if you ever mistakenly jump or double jump (if in the air). These attacks can be more easily done with less precision with tap jump off, for me at least.

The only advantage to leaving it on that I've found is that it can be used to Dolphin Slash (UpB) out of a shield without ever letting the shield down. With tap jump off, it seems that you have to let down your shield just before or just as you're about to use it. I haven't tested this yet but I'd imagine you'd be vulnerable for a few frames without perfect timing.

Both ways seem to have an advantage, mainly for ease of use but I was wondering what you guys have it set to and why. If there are any pros or cons for either setting that I missed feel free to point them out.

KBDDeadman

Smash Rookie
Im not sure if Id change it because I've been playing melee for so long and taking tap jumping off doesnt seem that important. I never make mistakes like that since I use the c-stick for UAIRs and uptilts arent that hard. Im probably not going to turn it off

Edit: Actually, Im not so sure anymore... lol... I just thought that if you turned off tap jumping, b-sticking wouldnt be so hard... I use the c-stick for upsmash and UAIRs because of the tap jumping that was in SSBM. If you took off tap jumping, you could do UAIRS, U-tilts and Usmashes without being a bit careful not to jump. This leaves the c-stick open to be changed to special moves for b-sticking(that is, if you don't need the C-stick for dsmashes and side smashes)

Iwan

Smash Ace
I leave mine off. Not only do i NEVER use tap jump, lol...but it also makes dash dancing about, i don't know...one trillion times easier. I like using DDing to set up mind games and fake people out...tap jump makes that hard when you're DDing, and suddenly jump when you didn't want to. Some people don't have trouble with DDing with tap jump on, but oh well. I do : /.

lol :p

kidbu916

Smash Cadet
I leave mine off. Not only do i NEVER use tap jump, lol...but it also makes dash dancing about, i don't know...one trillion times easier. I like using DDing to set up mind games and fake people out...tap jump makes that hard when you're DDing, and suddenly jump when you didn't want to. Some people don't have trouble with DDing with tap jump on, but oh well. I do : /.

lol :p
I had the same problem as well.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
I leave Tap jump off because for me being a marth player it is much easier to do sh fair to uair combo instead of switching my thumb all the way to the c stick to perform the same thing slower. Also for Ding

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know you could until I saw another player turn it off at a brawl tournament.
After that, I tested it, liked it, and now I have to play with tap jumping off...
Don't want to lose a match because of a tap jump instead of an up-tilt :D

legendx87

Smash Rookie
I turned mine off. I think its alot easier with it off. I don't have to worry about jumping by mistake and messing up.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
Yah i think OFF is the best choice. Because like i have seen, i accidently jump when i dont want to.. and it can really mess you up.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I think you can do an upB out of sheild even if with tap jump off. Use X or Y. It's just a bit harder. I'm not sure of this though, maybe you can't, I've never needed to upB out of sheild, seeing as all the characters I use have almost useless upB's outside of recovery except ZSS, who better uses other moves out of sheild. Anyway, I turn tap-jump off, but sometimes I forget to switch to my name and tap-jump is still on. I never notice though, I'm used to avoiding tap jump from melee.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
i need it to upb out of my sheild, plus since the controller stick is less sensitive i almost never mess up fairuair short hops

V

Smash Ace
definitely off. at high percentages up B out of shield is a really easy ko. when i had tap jump on it was impossible to do it, now i can do it every time. i'd for sure turn it off

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I leave mine off, due to my constant error in utilits, which I find to be very valuable. I want to pratice with it on though, since once I master it, I could have the best of both worlds, but recently I've been procrastinating that.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
definitely off. at high percentages up B out of shield is a really easy ko. when i had tap jump on it was impossible to do it, now i can do it every time. i'd for sure turn it off
uhhh...it's more difficult Dolphin Slash out of the shield without tap jump, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Anyway, I'm personally conflicted. I might rather get used to uptilts with tap jump and keep it on for the Dolphin Slash out of the shield, because uptilting normally is a lot easier than Dolphing Slashing out of the shield with no tap jump x_x;; That's the way I see it at least. Though for now I'm keeping mine off so I get used to never using tap jump. I guess I'm taking a bit from both worlds.

Sora267

Smash Rookie
I turned it off. With chubby fingers, I end up slamming both the C-Stick and the joystick when I use them, meaning I could never use my A^ in Melee.

uremog

Smash Ace
i like upB and up smash out of shield so i leave it on. i'm used to the utilt thing from melee and don't DD any more cause you don't actually go anywhere making it a useless mind game.

w!ld ch!ld

Smash Cadet
leave it on so you can upb out of the sheild and up smash out of the sheild and jump out of the sheild and whatever

OMAR the O

Smash Cadet
Off for sure. But if I were to practice utilts enough so that I never messed one up then I'd leave it on. Currently, I have a 0% chance of doing a utilt with tap jump on.

uremog

Smash Ace
if you don't get used to up tilt with it on you won't know if you'd be up tilting or jumping.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
I have tap jump off, but up+B out of shield is extremely valuable. It's still doable, though. While it's really hard to do it at all with button sliding (because the B button is so small compared to A, making it very easy to screw up), I don't use my R trigger for anything else so it's set to jump solely for the up+B out of shield. With a small amount of practice you can do it that way as fast and almost as easy as having tap jump on.

Doval

Smash Lord
For Up-B out of shield with Tap Jump Off, you can set X to Specials if you mainly use Y to jump. Sliding from Y to X isn't very hard. Also, the difference is small but you can technically minimize the time you spend in the jump (and also make it easier to do the input) if you do Up -> (Jump) -> (Special) than doing (Jump) -> Up -> (Special).

EDIT: Well, even if you used X to jump, it wouldn't make much of a difference, you could just set Y to Specials and it'd be practically the same motion, just going in the opposite direction.

Kneeslash

Smash Cadet
OFF, too many problems leaving yourself out in the open. Like many people said before, it can cost u a match.

uremog

Smash Ace
i consider myself to have pretty bad execution for someone who plays fighting games. it's not prohibitively hard to get used to using the control stick for tilts, smashes and jumps from shield.

the different control setups is an interesting idea though. it'd be worth looking into to allow using everything with tap jump off.

Doval

Smash Lord
If you have Tap Jump on, you can just do it normally.

If you have Tap Jump off, you'll have to start a jump using a jump button. The best way to input it quickly is Up -> Jump -> B in my opinion, but whatever sequence works for you is fine.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
To explain it a bit better to Dekuknight950, upB out of shield is done by taking advantage of the fact that you can jump out of shield. It's easiest to do with tap jump enabled because you press up to jump, then just press B to use upB right out of the pre-jump animation the instant your shield drops. You can also do this with an upsmash and grab (grab is melee only). upB and upsmash are likely do-able out of the pre-jump animation to prevent the frustration of jumping instead of performing your move. I have no clue about the grab, but I really like my jump canceled grabs our of a run in melee so I'm not complaining. :D

EDIT: I've decided I like tap jump on more because I find that I have much more trouble using 3 buttons for upB out of shield than I do with accidentally jumping. I'm so used to tap jump from melee that I usually don't notice when I forget to select my name and just go to default settings.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't been playing much lately but I tried some things out people recommended.

I have tap jump off, but up+B out of shield is extremely valuable. It's still doable, though. While it's really hard to do it at all with button sliding (because the B button is so small compared to A, making it very easy to screw up), I don't use my R trigger for anything else so it's set to jump solely for the up+B out of shield. With a small amount of practice you can do it that way as fast and almost as easy as having tap jump on.
I have to say that this worked better for me personally than anything else, except that I use R as shield so I made L jump. Now I'm not worrying about accidentally jumping with the joystick and up B out of the shield is still possible. Thanks! :)

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
I leave it off for the sheer reason I won't double jump on accident. Utilts are also easier.

Top Bottom