• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tampora 2.0 (April 29th - May 1st) Finland

leffen

Smash Champion
Draver, you have no idea what depth / full potential really is, or how it is relevant to this matter.

You are basically trying to argue that Texas hold em should have 5 decks and that you should get 20 cards at the start because there are more variables, and because of that it must increase the "depth".

Less is more, ******

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Leffen I think you already embarrassed yourself enough in this thread.
And Draver is actually right unlike the rest of you. Bias should have no place in ruleset stuff.

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah, Idd finland has already embarrassed themselves with this tourney.
Lol, "bias has no place in rulesets". You couldnt be more wrong.

This has nothing to do with any character bias, its simply a bias for having fun. Please give me an example of a game with rules that arent made specifically because the majority of the people playing it enjoy it that way. Please.

Oh and lzr go **** off

leffen

Smash Champion
Uh, nice example...

Sports also implement changes on the ruleset if they feel as the "metagame" is becoming to gay etc

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
This whole stage discussion starts to feel too ********...

I also feel embarrassed being finnish smasher at the moment... but not because of discussion about stages but because of our finnish comrads giving idiotic comments >___>. Seriosly... Saska, Mayhem, RT... they definitely have different opinion about the stage system but they find no respect against draver's opinion. They just crushed it down without any potential feedback or reasons. That is something what makes me sick of being part of finnish smash community: the fact that there is too many players those just throw the **** without even trying to have equal discussion with different opinions...

And -LRZ-... we know your style to write something often feels too radical and arrogant =/. Once again same problem: No offense, just a warning. For example Leffen don't know you too well to understand that you are not that arrogant and you don't mean it be so radical as your comments might sound =/

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Here's what I think of Draver's stages:

In general, moving stages add random factors to the game. You may be able to predict something that is not technically "random", but for humans playing this game, everything outside of how far ahead you can plan your combos is random.
The cloud on YS is random until you're outside the stage and happen to notice "hey, if I shine-stall a little, I can make it".

You should be fighting your opponent(s), not the stage.

Also, some stages help camping. Like, really help it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80TYnAjqaw

edit:
The game is really what we want it to be, not necessarily what it was designed to be. It was designed to be a party game.
The majority apparently don't want those stages in a tournament. You're free to do whatever you want in friendlies, but when you enter a tournament, it's not a competition of "who is best at partying with this game". Sure the stagelist can seem a little artificial, but without boundaries, we might as well play HRC instead.

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Still really upset; people you face in the pools are people you shouldn't meet in the brackets, no matter how many pools you have and stuff like that. Seriously don't do this mistake again, almost every Swede got something bad...
I'm quite sure that this won't happen at any Laaseripora, as Jaxi is the one who makes the pools and brackets.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to ingore you leffen from now on since you don't respond to my posts, it's futile on my part.

Also, I sadly have to agree with bËst of our fellow finnish players.

Draver, you have no idea what depth / full potential really is, or how it is relevant to this matter.

You are basically trying to argue that Texas hold em should have 5 decks and that you should get 20 cards at the start because there are more variables, and because of that it must increase the "depth".

Less is more, ******
Really? How about you stop making terrible comparisons since I can also make ones easily as bad as you did and call it a day? "There should be only one player instead of eleven in football because ledd is more lololo". See? Equally as bad. Come back after you have passed kindergarten.

Yeah, Idd finland has already embarrassed themselves with this tourney.
Lol, "bias has no place in rulesets". You couldnt be more wrong.

This has nothing to do with any character bias, its simply a bias for having fun. Please give me an example of a game with rules that arent made specifically because the majority of the people playing it enjoy it that way. Please.
So the entire community has banned stages such as Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar because of them not being fun according to you and ingoring all the competitive depth they bring in? I have already given up on the Melee community but this is just quite something else. In any existing world, no one asks if players like the rules when creating them, that should be basics. They are essentially made functional, fair and using all the depth available to everyone not including any personal fun factors or anything alike.

Uh, nice example...

Sports also implement changes on the ruleset if they feel as the "metagame" is becoming to gay etc
Let me just say here that camping and counterpick stages aren't "gay", they are a fundamental part of the game. You can't take those away just because "deyre gay q_q". Stop living in a dream world, you are playing Smash Brothers.

Here's what I think of Draver's stages:

In general, moving stages add random factors to the game. You may be able to predict something that is not technically "random", but for humans playing this game, everything outside of how far ahead you can plan your combos is random.
The cloud on YS is random until you're outside the stage and happen to notice "hey, if I shine-stall a little, I can make it".
That is not an excuse to not to use counterpicks that are, in reality, even less random than Yoshi's Story (Shy Guys) and Fountain of Dreams (moving platforms). Everything in Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise and Poké Floats is following clear patterns that are easy to remember. Even the cloud in Yoshi's Story can be followed since it moves the same speed all the time and there is the timer to look from where the cloud next appears or is going. All it requires is a little knowledge of the stages, I don't know why leave them out because of this, we don't want to cut off the importance of stage knowledge from a platform fighter. You have to keep an eye on the stage when you combo and such, you can't just mindlessly start doing tricks and be then accuse the stage of being hit or something. You should aknowledge the risks that await when you're doing something.

You should be fighting your opponent(s), not the stage.
Why do people think Melee is or should be like street fighter practically ingoring the effect of the stages? You even won't be doing any "battle vs. the stage" if you know what you're doing. Using the stage to your advantage is the key point in every single stage in the game, for example, FD being platformless is one kind of an hazard (a major one you know) and you "have to fight against it" just like you do with the lava of Brinstar. The better player uses his or her knowledge of the stage against you in every single stage. And to even give you more options on it, you can counterpick any character you like there.

Also, some stages help camping. Like, really help it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80TYnAjqaw
What do you except from Peach vs. Fox on Poké Floats? Armada was given all the chances in the world to pick a better character there since Peach is easy to outcamp on that stage. It was stupid not to and it shows although he managed to pull out the win in the end. This is a game of counterpicking and not knowing how to do it, is a sign of being a somewhat bad player. I'm not saying Armada is bad (duh) but there he didn't show his ability to counterpick right leading to stuff like that.

The game is really what we want it to be, not necessarily what it was designed to be. It was designed to be a party game.
The majority apparently don't want those stages in a tournament. You're free to do whatever you want in friendlies, but when you enter a tournament, it's not a competition of "who is best at partying with this game". Sure the stagelist can seem a little artificial, but without boundaries, we might as well play HRC instead.
You're assuming that Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle N64 and Poké Floats aren't competitive by default. Wrong.
You're assuming that it would be the same thing to play in those stages and playing HRC. Wrong again.

The game was't indeed desingned to be fully competitive form of a fighter but that is not a reason to leave those stages out because of articicial and subjective reasons. The absolute goal isn't to make a stagelist that would please everyone but...
...to do an objective and fair competitive ruleset where the goal is to make as versatile and deep metagame with all the elements the game has to offer which doesn't take personal preferences into account, that is common knowledge.
We can't leave competitively fine elements out just because we can or are delusional and think Smash should be a player vs. player without a need of any stage knowledge and adaptation. I don't know how many times I have said that but so far no one has probably even bothered reading it.

Also Schwa, don't be sorry for ccst since he doesn't understand how brackets work with four pools although it has been explained already many times in this thread.

EDIT: So many typos in my post, dem be now fixed.

mayhem

Smash Cadet
@Best: I just really do not like to argue over internet because everything is taken out of context, sayings are distorted and my skill to express my thoughts with writing is not good so I try to keep my sayings short :)

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
lolol

lost my melee disc at the tourney. does anyone have it? it had my name written on the front

stelzig

Smash Lord
"We can't leave competitively fine elements out just because we can or are delusional and think Smash should be a player vs. player without a need of any stage knowledge and adaptation. I don't know how many times I have said that but so far no one has probably even bothered reading it."

Or maybe people just disagree because that statement in itself is a personal preference/opinion. Clearly people disagree with you.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
It is indeed an opinion but let me ask you: which one does sound more reasonable to you, keeping the original nature of the game as it is and start building a competitive one upon it or change the nature of the game to something completely else that it clearly isn't with drastic changes leaving many of the game's fundamental elements out just because you can?

There is a variety of other fighters out there, maybe you should look out for them instead of changing Melee so much that it loses all of it's uniqueness. We don't have to make Smash look like many other fighters out there, that is why those other fighters even exists that you can choose the optimal one suiting your own needs.

BeatStick, since you're clearly only interested in making bad puns, could you leave the thread please?

Aniolas

Smash Ace
Obviously Melee wasn't intended as a competetive fighting game, but clearly the great majority wish it to be that.

Every update in rule sets is to make the game even more competetiv. I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're quite lonely in trying to keep the nature of the game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is a reason we have TOs. They are allowed to use the ruleset they want to, be it liberal or conservative. If the entrants were to decide, it would be a never ending argument. I don't think neither side is wrong, but I support a more diverse game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Don't be so good then? You won and went up in the bracket and your opponent was Skinutski, then he was against you another time. It's very common to face someone twice in the bracket.

Aniolas

Smash Ace
There is a reason we have TOs. They are allowed to use the ruleset they want to, be it liberal or conservative. If the entrants were to decide, it would be a never ending argument. I don't think neither side is wrong, but I support a more diverse game.
Of course TO can decide for their own tournament, but the choice will affect the turn out of how many people that shows up.

In the long run, all the major tournaments will be with the most popular rule set.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well yes, it's not an easy decision for the TO. It's impossible to please everyone so it's obvious to follow the majority. It's just that I don't agree with the majority.

Composeur

Smash Ace
The entire point of banning stages is to eliminate "unfair" character advantage; is this correct? That means that the stages that are legal are the ones that provide the least structural opportunity for exploiting certain moves from certain characters.

Yes, the stage selections have lost richness over time, and it seems to be directly correlated to a rise in player skill. That makes sense, right? The better people get, the better they are at navigating the intricacies of a stage and exploiting them with tricks. Eventually, certain stages are deemed just too unbalanced for tournament play (which is designed to be as fair and level as possible) because the TOP PLAYERS can reliably win matches on them by relying heavily on such a trick that their opponents are powerless to stop.

Is there a listing somewhere on SWF of why, in detail, each stage is banned? I think if we had something official to look at, we could at least have a constructive discussion about it. I think what many players are arguing is that banning some unbalanced stages (Mute City; Corneria) while keeping others (Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium) is arbitrary.

As far as my own opinion goes, I think we should hack the game to create and disseminate some new, more viable, balanced, and interesting stages. It would require extensive input from top players, but I think the entire community would benefit from it.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Obviously Melee wasn't intended as a competetive fighting game, but clearly the great majority wish it to be that.
But the thing is that it remains just as competitive with more counterpick stages, with more strategy and depth involved in the counterpicking phase. Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar or Poké Floats are in no way broken that the match is decided as early as in the character selection screen if you're smart about your decisions. All of this is competitive, just like our current ruleset but with way more options overall, increasing depth, and not being unfair and artificial about stage legalisation.

Every update in rule sets is to make the game even more competetiv. I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're quite lonely in trying to keep the nature of the game.
Even more competitive in the wrong way. Melee is just a skeleton of what it could very well be without any loss in its competivity. People would just have to learn those stages again and learn to counterpick with a bigger stagelist.

I am also very sad that majority seems to be fine with our current ruleset even though some fundamental and competitive parts of the game is lost just because.

The entire point of banning stages is to eliminate "unfair" character advantage; is this correct? That means that the stages that are legal are the ones that provide the least structural opportunity for exploiting certain moves from certain characters.
Counterpicking exists because of that reason: giving the other player an advantage. Neither Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle N64 or Poké Floats gives the player that big of an advantage that the match has practically already been played in the character selection screen. This is because you are allowed to pick a character after the stage has been chosen so there is no excuse if your character does badly in the chosen stage. Even FD is guilty of changing matchups radically because of one move on certain characters: Marth's upthrow on spacies.

Yes, the stage selections have lost richness over time, and it seems to be directly correlated to a rise in player skill. That makes sense, right? The better people get, the better they are at navigating the intricacies of a stage and exploiting them with tricks. Eventually, certain stages are deemed just too unbalanced for tournament play (which is designed to be as fair and level as possible) because the TOP PLAYERS can reliably win matches on them by relying heavily on such a trick that their opponents are powerless to stop.
I'd really like to know one of these tricks that make it near impossibe to win regardless of the matchup if there even is one. I haven't ever heard of anything like that. Counterpick stages are more easily being blamed for the so called "gay" stuff that happens since, after all, they are counterpicks and usually there reigns a situation where the other player has an advantage. I bet that people haven't got used to or even understood the nature of counterpick stages and feel awkward when playing on them since their strategies differ from neutral stages. Strategies and tactics on neutral stages aren't universal, we are playing under the rules of the stage, not with a wrong conception of what the game should be.

Is there a listing somewhere on SWF of why, in detail, each stage is banned? I think if we had something official to look at, we could at least have a constructive discussion about it. I think what many players are arguing is that banning some unbalanced stages (Mute City; Corneria) while keeping others (Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium) is arbitrary.
I'm kinda suprised there isn't one, there definitely should be a thread that explains why the stages are legal/banned in the current metagame. It is wrong to assume that people would know the exact reasons when there clearly isn't any. I would even like to know the reasons for stages that aren't usually even considered being legal in either singles or doubles, Kongo Jungle for example.

As far as my own opinion goes, I think we should hack the game to create and disseminate some new, more viable, balanced, and interesting stages. It would require extensive input from top players, but I think the entire community would benefit from it.
The problem with hacking is that Melee isn't that easy to get hacked and everyone should have an equal chance to get play on those stages. Think about getting +100 hacked Melees with the same stages to a tournament D: While we're at it, i do think that the stage builder in Brawl could be very well used to create new stages but no one has really even considered it :/

ccst, I advise you to read the thread again without ingoring the posts explaining the bracket directly meant for you.

EDIT: All Brawl videos we had are up now!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSBBFIN

Samochan

Smash Master
I rather play fun game on less stages than frustrating game on more stages just because I main a character that gets outcamped and I'm apparently "not skilled enough" to counterpick a character I'm worse with just to stand a chance (in theory) in a campfest because stage allows such things. Neither I should be forced to learn a char just to win such a campfest when stage is obviously unbalanced to favour such tactic.

Personally, I didn't find anything wrong on ESA2 stagelist when we had 3 neutrals and 2 more counterpicks or so.

As they say, less is more, least in the case of melee. Besides if people really want to play on certain stages, just suggest it and your opponent might even agree. >_>

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I rather play fun game on less stages than frustrating game on more stages just because I main a character that gets outcamped and I'm apparently "not skilled enough" to counterpick a character I'm worse with just to stand a chance (in theory) in a campfest because stage allows such things. Neither I should be forced to learn a char just to win such a campfest when stage is obviously unbalanced to favour such tactic.
Basing your argument on the fun factor makes your whole post to seem unconvincing.

The thing is, you should learn more characters because there are situations where your own character just isn't the ideal pick at all, it isn't even meant that every character should fare on every single legal stage in the game. Should we ban FD because Marth has his upthrow to make spacies matchups frustrating? This is not called a game of counterpicking in vain you see. You are indeed not skilled enough if you are not able to counterpick right, skill isn't only measured on the playfield as you might think. You could pick almost any other viable character besides Peach and easily stand a chance in Poké Floats. Also trying to get a stage banned because you don't like a fundamental part of the game, camping, only puts me thinking if you even know what game you are playing. Refusing to learn any other character really hurts your game.

We don't ban stages just because one character gets wrecked there. We also have a stage ban to reduce the effect of a really bad stage for a character. A stage isn't even close being unbalanced if one or two characters gets destroyed there, it is purely a character trait. Better characters have more good stages than the others just like them having more better tools than the others. That's why we shouldn't ban stages for that reason just like we don't ban character tools. Melee will never be completely balanced, we have maybe succeeded making it slighty more balanced, if at all, and it has cost us more depth and variety in the gameplay than a majority of us can even think of.

Personally, I didn't find anything wrong on ESA2 stagelist when we had 3 neutrals and 2 more counterpicks or so.
Good for you.

As they say, less is more, least in the case of melee. Besides if people really want to play on certain stages, just suggest it and your opponent might even agree. >_>
It's okay to ban stages because your opponent might still agree to go there? Great reasoning, let's ban every stage in the game, I bet people will agree to play on some of them despite of them being banned. wooooooo oo o o

"Less is more" hasn't got any fair and constructive reasoning behind it making it just a pile of meaningless words.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I agree with Samos argument, but I don´t agree with the "neutrals" being the most fun stages, why:
It´s the simple reason I get timeouted there and have no real picks to make that strategy a disadvantage(except for picking puff and going for the strategy myself) for the player playing going for the timeout.
A few obvious mentioned important things on counterpicks.
It´s dumb to stay as certain characters on certain stages, unless you practice enough in atleast a few of them and might actually be able to perform well on these "really bad stages", heres an example of an "autowinstage" for peach in the ics vs peach matchup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cqirf7Pkes

Counterpicks often makes matches more intense to play, and also requires more skill to win on the opponents counterpick then sticking to the same textbook strategy as on "all the neutrals".
Trust me the strategy I used against you (Samo) can very well be applied on DL64, and probably even battlefield´, it´s all about patience with puffs bair and you are set to win no matter what the peach tries to do(stiches leads to rest so no, they aren´t a reliable choice).

Top Bottom