• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm more pining for Darkstalkers mii costumes myself, particularly a Demitri Maximoff Mii Brawler that I can call Demiitri.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's really good for a year ago, hopefully he's moved up even further since some of the other slots are fighters/Mii costumes now.
I swear I will never understand Waddle Dee's popularity. This is coming from a Kirby fan
his name is bandana waddle dee, and it cause hes adorable and kirby's unofficial sidekick

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
No Direct Announcement today.... you what that means mr. KirbyMonadoBoy KirbyMonadoBoy

This hurts so much. I was so convinced it would happen this week. Guess I really am guilty, ouch.
Yep I really hope as well that Phoenix won't show up on a Spirit Board, this would destroy all hopes. If not a fighter, I'd rather have him as a Mii costume + music track similar to Sans/Cuphead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This hurts so much. I was so convinced it would happen this week. Guess I really am guilty, ouch.
Yep I really hope as well that Phoenix won't show up on a Spirit Board, this would destroy all hopes. If not a fighter, I'd rather have him as a Mii costume + music track similar to Sans/Cuphead.
well these thing happen when you cross examine a parrot

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hey you never know. They revealed the AC Direct in the evening (5 pm where I am), so we may have one more chance this week.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think anyone expected Warframe to get some representation, lol

About spirit boards for Capcom, I could see a Okami spirit board. I don't think they would do one for franchises such as Darkstalkers, honestly. If anything, any Darkstalkers content would arrive as Mii costumes if we get another Capcom fighter. That's how I see it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Alright, I took some pieces of old and new ideas and I made my personal dream fighter pack for Nick.

Phoenix doesn't have many pre-timeskip full body artworks outside of the Trilogy one (Which looks weird and I dislike it) and the Marvel 3, Layton and Project X Zone 2 ones which are from a crossovers.

Of every official full body artwork. This is my favorite to use as fighter spirit:

Courtroom

It doesn't have to be the destroyed one of Dual Destinies, it looks like a good fighting stage, but it doesn't represent Ace Attorney as a series well, as it only happened in one case of a specific game.
That courtroom looks less bright because it's using the lightning from the more modern games / anime cutscenes, I guess Smash would find a good middle ground between the color pallet of the classic courtroom and the more moody one shown in more modern games.

In terms of the stage itself, we could have a flat stage with walls, (similar in design to the witness/defendant stand) with the signature justice scales acting as platforms to the right and left, which are affected by the weight of the fighters.
The stage is in the foreground, separated from everything else in the main courtroom, similar to new Pork City in that regard.
In the background we see both a prosecutor and a defense attorney (Whose appearances can rotate each fight, like in King of Fighers) arguing fiercily in the middle of a trial.
When one of them objects or presents evidence, they cause an effect on the stage, like, OBJECTIONS causes a shaking or huge explosion that damages fighters in the left corner (Defense) or the right (Prosecutor) when that attorney reacts strongly to the contradiction / counterpoint presented (For example, Klavier objects and presents something in the background, the side where Apollo is in suffers the hazard).
If the defense attorney sometimes gets something wrong, or the people sitting on the sides start talking too much, the Judge will use his hammer, which causes an earthquake that damages everyone that isn't the air.
Of course, there are warnings, like you can see one side getting nervious, thinking of evidence in cloud thoughts and when he is about to object, the portrait of the character in blue-ish background appears in the background, like this:

So players can react or shield, and they don't get killed randomly.

With hazards off, you only have animated sprites / 3D models arguing in the background but no strong reactions at all, and the scales still tilt, that would make it legal I think It won't because competitve players now ban stages just because they have tiny slopes.

The list of attorneys we can see in the defense bench are:
Phoenix.gif
Yes, he can pull off a Duck Hunt and appear even when he is in a battle.

I guess she's the only one without a 2D sprite, but her 3D model upscaled doesn't look too out of place either.
We can also have modern Nick in case they want to represent his more modern appearances.
Chronologically it doesn't make any sense, but I'm all for it just for the fanservice.
Edgey Left.gif
Same here, I want Edgey vs Edgey on a trial LMAO.

And the prosecutors would be:

Edgey.gif

Like Mementos or King of Fighters Stadium, the music affects the chances of getting certain attorneys in the trial. If a T&T theme plays, there's more chances to see Godot as prosecutor or Mia in the defense, if a theme that belongs to Apollo plays, he will always appear.... so that would make funny confrontations that we have never seen in canon before.

Objection 2001 / Pursuit - Cornered (New Remix). I think it's better to put them together because this are very short themes and that helps to not get tired of them quickly. I hope they would make them sound similar to my favorite versions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YxW6xmWS8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2szpRC-PLyM

Steel Samurai Theme (New Remix), I hope it starts like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7nVqIkbwE

Investigation Theme Medley (From all the games in the series or at least the first three, like Kirby's Boss Theme Medley)

Cross Examination Theme Medley (Same as above, I would include Presto variations into the mix)

Godot - Fragance of Dark Coffee (New Remix by ACE) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTjNriHboA

Pursuit - Caught (New Remix) Please let Iwadare remix it and make something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNwbkPtDUU0

Pursuit - Overtaken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqnm2M4xC0

Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUwJfVn9Nq4

Pursuit - Lying Coldly (New Yoko Shimomura Remix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JveQT6DfYk

Pursuit - Wanting to Find the Truth (New Remix) something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsirEh3reBc , or just the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVA2z_zbWwA , if this song is excluded from the game it would be the 2nd biggest personal offense Smash's musical selection would ever do to me (First is DK's music selection getting the biggest shaft ever)

Pursuit - Keep Pressing On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTQ7fr2yeM

I personally think the SoJ objection themes are perfectly upbeat and intense for a fighting game and don't need any remix or touching.
Phoenix Wright - Objection 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JpvZk3Xcxc
Apollo Justice - A New Chapter of Trials (2016) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfIcDfHkC68
Athena Cykes - Courtoom Revolutionnaire (2016) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WhZInUkekQ&t=127s

That's 14 songs, Capcom usually doesn't forbid any content but if we take Bayonetta, Persona and Banjo-Kazooie as reference, we would get 11 max.

Turnabout Smash!
Almost all fights happen in the courtroom stage. Every fight except for the second one (Spoiler reasons) has a character in your team that if gets KO'd, you lose. You know what that reference means.

Stage 1:
Vs. Purple :ultmario: and then White :ultganondorf:
You have to protect Orange :ultluigi:

Stage 2:
Vs Red Biker :ultwario: and :ultsnake:
:ultwario: is invincible until :ultsnake: gets knocked out.

Stage 3:
Vs White and Red :ultpeach:
You have to protect :ultzelda: on Twilight Princess outfit.

Stage 4:
Vs Giant Purple :ultsimon:
You have help from Apollo-colored
(If you are using that color then it's brown / Gumshoe
)
You have to protect :ultvillagerf:

Stage 5:
Vs Giant :ultfox:
You have help from Apollo-colored
(If you are using that color then it's OG
) and :ultdaisy:
You lose if Daisy dies.

Stage 6 on Suzaku Castle:
Vs. Giant blue :ultbayonetta1:
You got Apollo-colored
's help again (If you are using that color then it's OG
).
If he dies you lose.

Final Stage:
Gauntlet of opponents in this order:
:ultpit:, black :ultchrom:, purple :ultken:, Greenish :ultmetaknight:, White :ultzss: and finally
in redish alt (You know what alt I'm talking about, last opponent is the most durable of all of them).

Ace Attorney Spirit Board.png

Maya Fey:
Main fighter: :ultzelda: - Twilight Princess alt
Supporting fighters:

:ultzelda: spams Down B (She's summoning a dead *bam dum tass*),
spams the special move that collects and/or uses evidence. If Maya is in the moveset I suppose Nick will spam those moves too.
Stage: New Donk City Hall
Music: Investigation medley
Can then be enhanced to:
Adult Maya

Larry Butz:
Main fighter: :ultluigi: (Orange)
Main fighter likes to avoid combat
Stage: Wrecking Crew
Music: Cross Examination Medley

Pearl Fey:
Main fighter: :ultisabelle: (Pink)
Supporting fighters:
:ultisabelle: spams dash attack,
spams the special move that presents the Magatama.
Stage: Suzaku Castle
Music: Investigation Medley

Then it can be enhanced to:
Teenager Pearl

Detective Gumshoe:
Main fighter: :ultdk: (Green)
Opponent is very fast and will grab a lot, he's also easily distracted by items.
Stage: Prism Tower
Music: Cross Examination Medley

Franziska Von Karma:
Main fighter: :ultzss: (White)
:ultzss: spams Side B
A ton of damaging items like guns, bombs or swords drop often.
Stage: Courtroom
Music: Objection 2001 / Pursuit - Cornered

Godot:
Main fighter: Green :ultmetaknight:
Supporting fighter: Black :ultzelda:
Healing items spawn often (Only Food that appears is the one simlar to coffee), enemy gets stronger after eating, laser sword spawns often too.
Stage: Wuhu Island (Stuck on Bridge section)
Music: Fragrance of Dark Coffee

Ema Skye:
Main fighter: White :ultzelda:
Supporting fighters: Black :ultzss: and giant orange / violet :ultganondorf:
Stage: Living Room (Omega)
Shrinking lightnings appear often.
Music: Objection 2001 / Pursuit - Cornered
Can be enhanced to:

Trucy Wright:
Main fighter: :ultdaisy: (Blue)
Supporting fighters: :ultkrool: (Blue)
:ultdaisy: spams Down B, you all know who :ultkrool: is.
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Music: Pursuit - Overtaken

Apollo Justice:

Main fighter: :ultroy: (Red)
Supporting fighter: Blue :ultdaisy:, yellow :ultrosalina: (with Blue Luma) and
(Each one appears after 10 seconds if you don't finish)
:ultroy: loves to spam Counter and whatever move that makes him scream a lot. Kill :ultroy: to win.
Music: Apollo Justice: A new Chapter of Trials (2016)

Athena Cykes:
Main fighter: :ultdaisy:
Supporting fighter: Black :ultchrom: and small :ultfalco:
:ultdaisy: loves to spam Toad. Floor is electric. :ultfalco: is easily distracted by items.
Stage: Saffron City.
Music: Athena Cykes - Courtoom Revolutionnaire (2016)

Mia Fey:
Main fighter: :ultpalutena: (Black)
Supporting fighters: :ultkingdedede:, white :ultincineroar:, white :ultdk:.
Chain chomps assists trophies spawn a lot.
Music: Pursuit - Caught
My original idea is that the base spirit is Mia from T&T and then gets enhanced to Mia from AA1, but I couldn't find a PNG of her T&T artwork without a blank background >_>

Miles Edgeworth (Legend Class):
Main fighter:
(Edgeworth-based color)
Supporting fighters: Purple :ultsheik:, :ultdk: (Green) and :ultwolf: (Black / Red costume)
Stage: Wrecking Crew (Battlefield)
Music: Pursuit - Wanting to Find the Truth
Defeat all the supporting fighters to make the main fighter appear.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Awesome stuff Dukemon! Considering nearly every DLC stage has had cameos, a constantly changing court (or at the least, Phoenix v. changing prosecutors) would be great.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
One of the coolest things of Phoenix would be the stage, it should be the courtroom for sure. There's nothing like it in Smash and having rotating lawyers and prosecutors in the background arguing with each other would be fantastic.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I am bit surprised that Phoenix Wright wasn't even in the ranking in that Japanese poll...
Well, maybe it's just me but I don't remember many japanese polls with Phoenix in the list. Also I guess that Ace Attorney's inactivity in the last few years doesn't help at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am bit surprised that Phoenix Wright wasn't even in the ranking in that Japanese poll...
well do remember that people like to mess with online polls, though snkeater is probably right about the period on inactivity not helping as people cant seem to get over the "relevant" argument

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well, maybe it's just me but I don't remember many japanese polls with Phoenix in the list. Also I guess that Ace Attorney's inactivity in the last few years doesn't help at all.
well do remember that people like to mess with online polls, though snkeater is probably right about the period on inactivity not helping as people cant seem to get over the "relevant" argument
You all mean that supposed Japanese poll with barely 500 votes and most of the top characters have 2 digits in votes? And with top choices like Goku or Kirito from Sword Art Online? Yeah... that thing doesn't have any credit at all. I always doubt those supposed polls that come out of nowhere announcing they are so accurate and important then you look at the laughable participation and unfiltered choices....

The Mega Poll from Source Gaming was announced a while ago and it's still open, also they kept a filter to avoid multiple votes and don't consider things like Goku valid, something like that has more credit.

BTW Ace Attorney hasn't been THAT inactive. It got 2 seasons of the anime (With good ratings in Japan) and many rereleases on 3DS / home consoles and those... *gulp* Pachinko machines.... *feels disgust*

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You all mean that supposed Japanese poll with barely 500 votes and most of the top characters have 2 digits in votes? And with top choices like Goku or Kirito from Sword Art Online? Yeah... that thing doesn't have any credit at all. I always doubt those supposed polls that come out of nowhere announcing they are so accurate and important then you look at the laughable participation and unfiltered choices....

The Mega Poll from Source Gaming was announced a while ago and it's still open, also they kept a filter to avoid multiple votes and don't consider things like Goku valid, something like that has more credit.

BTW Ace Attorney hasn't been THAT inactive. It got 2 seasons of the anime (With good ratings in Japan) and many rereleases on 3DS / home consoles and those... *gulp* Pachinko machines.... *feels disgust*
oh yes i always forget about the anime, maybe i should give it a go

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I forgot about the anime, sorry. I'd watch it eventually.
About the poll, I mean, you're right, it's not the most reliable poll out there, that's for sure. I wouldn't have that poll in particular as something reliable.

Phoenix is decently popular among the Smash fanbase, in any case I don't expect him to be in the firsts positions in any poll about most wanted characters for Smash.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
the sample of that poll is laughably small to take seriously. In general I take any poll I see regarding character demand with a grain of salt, they can be interesting but their size are rarely that impressive and they're usually character biased on fanbases that hard rally on their favorite.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Anime was OK to me... first season felt rushed and cheap but second one improved and the original content was great. Also the Dahlia arc was decently adapted.
The anime gave me a preview of what the Steel Samurai show looks like (I want a spin off show!!), the Endings 2 and 4, and the Opening 3 so.... I can't complain. OP3 and ED2 songs are very catchy. And the ED4 makes me emotional.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Must say, I am surprised to see that this thread isn't discussing that Phoenix (& 2B) ""leak""

Nice to see people starting to include him, though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Didn't know about this.
Phoenix's face in that render looks very off lol, but hey, I'd take Phoenix and 2B without a doubt

At least fake images are more entertaining that the usual text leak.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
If this were somehow real, I'd mostly be bothered that the render looks that off, lol. But yeah, I think it's blatantly fake, nonetheless, nice to see Phoenix in a "leak"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, CSS render kills it... but good God, they even went through the trouble of making a shadow for him on the Battlefield picture... or at least tracing over it. Between this and the Junko "leak", I'm glad we're at least back to the medium-to-high effort fakes instead of just text.

I would love him and 2B back to back, but I will say that 2B makes way more sense than Phoenix as a pass opener.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Yeah both the render and the quality of his suit in the 3D model definitely screams fake. But I always like looking at fake leaks, especially when it's a character you like. :)

Still, I doubt we'll be seeing anything Smash til E3 proper, unless our next Direct is in April (which will drive people mad)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm so glad people are making fake renders again. It was getting boring to only have text posts to debate.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I guess it's neat to see Phoenix in a slightly more elaborate fake? But yeah, these last few days images are way too low quality to even begin to take remotely seriously anyhow. Needless to say, the only visual novel-esque reps I could see getting in Ultimate as of now are Phoenix or Layton, I'd never buy a leak that involves anything DR related unless Sakurai presents it himself in a stream or the Nintendo social medias post about it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
View attachment 264396

Render is what kills it. If it was just the top pic, MAYBE I would've bought it for a bit.
If Phoenix was in a fake leak, I wish they would actually put effort to make him look good, dang this looks embarassing. Look how they massacred our boy.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It's real funny he's holding a piece of loose leaf paper, and no need to lie about it, but cool to the person who gave it a shot, nice to kinda sorta see an interpretation of what he could look like in the game!

Also Samsora tried Ace Attorney last night and has already changed his profile pic on twitter to Phoenix, calling him a hero <3 <3 <3 Just really glad he's enjoying it, hope other people give it a shot too! Reminds me of how I started the series~

I remember finding out about Ace Attorney because someone put "Objection" in some Smash Brawl video, had it over Ike's counter. I looked up what it was from wayyy later and when I saw a video of the first game, the courtroom lobby - the sprites, the music, the writing, I just already liked everything so much and felt like I found something super special! I was 12 or 13 around the time and asked my sis for help getting one of the games and she wanted me to do some of her chores first so I did happily and quickly and she was surprised how sure I was I was ganna love these games! I also showed her the official objection track off one of the orchestra albums and then she also felt like this was something super special! I also ended up doing mock trial in high school and got to go to a real courtroom and be a mock juror and I loved all that too! Something about courtrooms, they're real cool!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Also Samsora tried Ace Attorney last night and has already changed his profile pic on twitter to Phoenix, calling him a hero <3 <3 <3 Just really glad he's enjoying it, hope other people give it a shot too! Reminds me of how I started the series~
I would love to see him play if he's streaming it. Too bad Ace Attorney is not a good series to stream IMO, the chat can tell you the answers to the game immediately and can even spoil the whole plot to you. BTW Samsora posted this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Even if he's talking about pre-DL-6 Edgeworth.... that's actually offensive to me you know LOL...

Since when are directs announced on Mondays?
OBJECTION!! Posts have dates and context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom