• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
SOJ has my favourite villain of the post-trilogy era:
rr.gif

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
After reading your conclusions. I get that you LOVE Maya. In that case I don't think you are done with SoJ yet. There's a DLC case with the old-school assistant Maya, an old recurrent AA character and the prosecutor Edgeworth waiting for you.
My opinions on that case put aside, I think you will get a lot of enjoyment just reading Maya's lines.
I'm the same. Maya is my absolute favorite, and I actually just recently played that case for the first time. I definitely recommend it.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd still say I prefer just about every MEI2 villain because man, that games writing is just so good, but I'm inclined to agree otherwise. For as much as I don't like SoJ, it was a massive improvement over giving the culprits more competent motivations and how it presented them over DD where it was pretty much just "lol I wanted money" once they already left the courtroom (exception applies to the DLC case).

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
We’re talking about our favorite villains? I know they’re both from early games, but Matt Engarde and Ron Delite for me. Ron Delite isn’t really the villain of the case, but he’s a thief so I count him. I know neither of them have the charm of some other picks, but Matt Engarde was the first time Phoenix’s client was actually guilty. It was also the first time you could get multiple endings. He also has a really cool name. Ron Delite is also super cool. The thing about them is, they’re both the opposite of your expectations. Matt seems to be a kind but clueless actor, but in reality, he’s a terrible actor who thinks he knows everything. When you hear Mask*DeMasque was caught, you expect a clever, cunning, and fearless thief. And you only end up being right about one thing. It diverts your expectations and that has its own charm to it. Or maybe I’m dum butt I don’t know

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Capcom should have John Cena for the AA7 trailers lol

After reading your conclusions. I get that you LOVE Maya. In that case I don't think you are done with SoJ yet. There's a DLC case with the old-school assistant Maya, an old recurrent AA character and the prosecutor Edgeworth waiting for you.
My opinions on that case put aside, I think you will get a lot of enjoyment just reading Maya's lines.
I know she's in the DLC. If I will buy it I don't know, I didn't bought the DLC case for Dual Destinies neither. Maybe I will "play" these 2 cases through Youtube.
Are they good?

About Maya,
yeah, I like her a lot. I don't know if she would be one of my faves in the franchise, but I expected a bit more of her in the game and that's why I said what I said in my previous post. Maybe it's just me that thinks she should have appeared more, but that's how I felt haha

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

I know she's in the DLC. If I will buy it I don't know, I didn't bought the DLC case for Dual Destinies neither. Maybe I will "play" these 2 cases through Youtube.
Are they good?

About Maya,
yeah, I like her a lot. I don't know if she would be one of my faves in the franchise, but I expected a bit more of her in the game and that's why I said what I said in my previous post. Maybe it's just me that thinks she should have appeared more, but that's how I felt haha
I think Turnabout Reclaimed is absolutely amazing and one of the best Ace Attorney cases ever written. And the best one Yamazaki (Writer of AAI, AAI2, DD and SoJ) ever wrote with Nick's gang as protagonists. Amazing setting, characters, and writing. Probably in my top 3 post-Trilogy with AAI2-4 and AAI2-5 (I like 5-3 more but I have to admit 5-DLC is better written). It shouldn't be watched in Youtube, it should be played and enjoyed. Its price is totally worth it.

Turnabout Timetraveler however.... is.... eh.... it mostly relies on fanservice with the returning character, Maya as assistant with her good old antics back and the hilarous jabs and passive-aggressive trashtalk Edgeworth and Phoenix throw at each other in court. I didn't find the setting and the few original characters all that appealing or well-written. Which is why I didn't like it. But some people liked it a lot so that is subjective (Like most opinions of SoJ mind you).
Since most of the appeal comes from the character dialogue. If you want to Youtube watch it, I guess you should look for some blind playthrough that doesn't skip every optional dialogue.

Also there are the two Asinine Attorney Cases, which are What If? DLC mini-cases. Those aren't worth its price and you can watch them in Youtube if you want. There is nothing relevant to see there outside of some brief character interactions.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think Turnabout Reclaimed is absolutely amazing and one of the best Ace Attorney cases ever written. And the best one Yamazaki (Writer of AAI, AAI2, DD and SoJ) ever wrote with Nick's gang as protagonists. Amazing setting, characters, and writing. Probably in my top 3 post-Trilogy with AAI2-4 and AAI2-5 (I like 5-3 more but I have to admit 5-DLC is better written). It shouldn't be watched in Youtube, it should be played and enjoyed. Its price is totally worth it.

Turnabout Timetraveler however.... is.... eh.... it mostly relies on fanservice with the returning character, Maya as assistant with her good old antics back and the hilarous jabs and passive-aggressive trashtalk Edgeworth and Phoenix throw at each other in court. I didn't find the setting and the few original characters all that appealing or well-written. Which is why I didn't like it. But some people liked it a lot so that is subjective (Like most opinions of SoJ mind you).
Since most of the appeal comes from the character dialogue. If you want to Youtube watch it, I guess you should look for some blind playthrough that doesn't skip every optional dialogue.

Also there are the two Asinine Attorney Cases, which are What If? DLC mini-cases. Those aren't worth its price and you can watch them in Youtube if you want. There is nothing relevant to see there outside of some brief character interactions.
I think timtraveller has one thing over Reclaimed:

Turnabout timetraveler actually feels like a bonus DLC for people who enjoyed the game enough and want more.

Reclaimed just feels like it was ripped out of the main game and sold back to you.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Are they good?

About Maya,
Personally I really loved the DLC case that came with Dual Destinies. Definitely up there among some of my favorite cases in the series.

The DLC case that came with Spirit of Justice I liked less, but I still enjoyed it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think timtraveller has one thing over Reclaimed:

Turnabout timetraveler actually feels like a bonus DLC for people who enjoyed the game enough and want more.

Reclaimed just feels like it was ripped out of the main game and sold back to you.
Is it tho? You don't have to buy it to understand or finish DD's whole story like other infamous Capcom DLCs. I wonder how much people that finished DD felt like they missed anything plot-relevant at all. That small mention of Apollo and Athena already meeting Pearl in the main game was the only thing hinting at the existence of Turnabout Reclaimed. Also, it should have never existed if it wasn't DLC. Because 6 cases in an AA game are too many for the low budget they have, so I guess it's a take it or lose it situation here.
Let say Ace Attorney HD Trilogy gets a DLC case for T&T in the same style and timeline placement of the Stolen Turnabout and Recipe for Turnabout. Would it count as ripped out of the game? Because T&T without that possible DLC case still feels complete to me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I adore Turnabout Time Traveler and Reclaimed. But maybe it's just because I'm a loser who likes steampunk and pirates.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i like both of them, time traveller had a great story and
and cross examining an orca was hilarious

Krankees

Smash Ace
The cadenza remix soundtrack of the original Ace Attorney game is pretty interesting. Obviously there's the iconic cornered remix but there's also some other songs that are pretty good. Although for some reason they took Testimony Allegro 2001 and dialed it up to an 11 so that's something.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The cadenza remix soundtrack of the original Ace Attorney game is pretty interesting. Obviously there's the iconic cornered remix but there's also some other songs that are pretty good. Although for some reason they took Testimony Allegro 2001 and dialed it up to an 11 so that's something.
Those Cadenza tracks should be in smash.

Spefically Testimony allegro.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'd still say I prefer just about every MEI2 villain because man, that games writing is just so good, but I'm inclined to agree otherwise. For as much as I don't like SoJ, it was a massive improvement over giving the culprits more competent motivations and how it presented them over DD where it was pretty much just "lol I wanted money" once they already left the courtroom (exception applies to the DLC case).
When I finished the 3rd case of DD and realized I hadn't cared about a single antagonist up until now, I realized I probably wasn't going to love that game no matter how well the last 2 cases ended. It's definitely my last fave main game and the lack of decent villains definitely contributes. The last one is OK but also pushed my sense of disbelief quite a bit. Haven't played the DLC as of yet, should get on that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When I finished the 3rd case of DD and realized I hadn't cared about a single antagonist up until now, I realized I probably wasn't going to love that game no matter how well the last 2 cases ended. It's definitely my last fave main game and the lack of decent villains definitely contributes. The last one is OK but also pushed my sense of disbelief quite a bit. Haven't played the DLC as of yet, should get on that.
really, five games in and you have abandoned a sense of disbelief all together?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
really, five games in and you have abandoned a sense of disbelief all together?
Lol I can't explain it well, I guess the difference between other AA games and DD is when something happened in DD I didn't find it charming or funny or silly, just kinda thought 'this is dumb'

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lol I can't explain it well, I guess the difference between other AA games and DD is when something happened in DD I didn't find it charming or funny or silly, just kinda thought 'this is dumb'
well is suppose that cant be helped

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I do wonder, where did those tracks come from, are they fanmade or ar they an official album by Capcom? They only thing I know is that they are crazy good.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
DMC3 comes out onto the Switch this week. If were lucky an Spirit Board comes as a result which would increase our favorite attorney's chances.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
DMC3 comes out onto the Switch this week. If were lucky an Spirit Board comes as a result which would increase our favorite attorney's chances.
I would feel kinda bad about that tbh, I love DMC and just getting a spirit event is... not that cool.
I'd rather see at least a Dante (and Vergil/Nero) Mii costume.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, please can we not start any dumb character wars, especially not among Capcom fans. That's super not cool.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm conflicted. That means better chances for Nick. But I love Dante and I don't want him to die, not like this.

I KNOW!! Modern problems require modern solutions. The Dante spirit should be from DmC. I'm fine with Vergil, Nero and Lady being spirit'd (Specially Vergil, I have PTSD from Marvel vs Capcom 3).

Also if Dante becomes DLC after having a spirit event that would be bloody hilarous and the speculation community would explode.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
still feel it's likelier that Dante will get no Smash representation whatsoever by the end of the whole DLC than DMC getting disconfirmed through a spirits event or mii costume, that's a fate I fear a lot more for Phoenix given the franchise stronger tiest to Nintendo making it odd to see not get any sort of representation by the end of the whole thing. That asides, it's not like DMC3 is gonna be the end of the DMC series on the Switch, no way they won't at least get 4SE too by this point, so announcing any such event would feel precocious on Capcom/Nintendos end.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
still feel it's likelier that Dante will get no Smash representation whatsoever by the end of the whole DLC than DMC getting disconfirmed through a spirits event or mii costume, that's a fate I fear a lot more for Phoenix given the franchise stronger tiest to Nintendo making it odd to see not get any sort of representation by the end of the whole thing. That asides, it's not like DMC3 is gonna be the end of the DMC series on the Switch, no way they won't at least get 4SE too by this point, so announcing any such event would feel precocious on Capcom/Nintendos end.
If anything wouldn't closer ties to Nintendo warrant his chances better?

Especially being he has the title of being an honorary Nintendo character like Banjo?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If anything wouldn't closer ties to Nintendo warrant his chances better?

Especially being he has the title of being an honorary Nintendo character like Banjo?
the way I see it, Phoenix ties with Nintendo makes it hard for him to not get some sort of representation down the line, whether that's a fighter, mii costume or spirits event, I can't tell.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I would settle for a Phoenix Mii costume with a music track. Rather have more than that, but I would be OK with that personally.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I do wonder, where did those tracks come from, are they fanmade or ar they an official album by Capcom? They only thing I know is that they are crazy good.
The best I could find was that they were done by a band called Magical Trick Society. Still not sure how official it is though.

EDIT: So after looking a bit further it seems the band's library mostly if not all of them consist of video game soundtrack covers so it might be unofficial.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
the way I see it, Phoenix ties with Nintendo makes it hard for him to not get some sort of representation down the line, whether that's a fighter, mii costume or spirits event, I can't tell.
Yeah... that's how I see it. Certainly we didn't had a lot of spirit events for third parties so there's not a clear pattern, but I feel that franchises associated with Nintendo have more chances to receive a spirit event in the case these IPs don't manage to get playable representation. That's why I could see characters like Layton, Travis or Phoenix with the spirit treatment. I can't say the same for characters like 2B or Kiryu, to name two. For these characters I think it's all or nothing.

Of course, that's just a feeling I have.

I'm conflicted. That means better chances for Nick. But I love Dante and I don't want him to die, not like this.

I KNOW!! Modern problems require modern solutions. The Dante spirit should be from DmC. I'm fine with Vergil, Nero and Lady being spirit'd (Specially Vergil, I have PTSD from Marvel vs Capcom 3).

Also if Dante becomes DLC after having a spirit event that would be bloody hilarous and the speculation community would explode.
The ideal solution is Capcom double dipping this pass, that way we'll have both :D

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Like, if Dante or Phoenix was one of our next DLC, that won't speak wonders for the others chances, but unless they're DLC11 with no plans to continue developing anymore, a mii costume dropping with whoever of the 2 is announced or we get a random spirits event in the meantime, one being confirmed doesn't translate to the other suddenly losing any and all chance. Capcom was the first company to break the "1 guest character per company" norm, I'd say they'd be perfectly fitting to break this idea of each company being limited to 1 DLC slot too, and they have the most characters to boot for this as well. I'm not holding my breath, but I wouldn't say it's the most unexpected turn of events that could go down the line, unlike the idea of a Playstation rep.
Yeah... that's how I see it. Certainly we didn't had a lot of spirit events for third parties so there's not a clear pattern, but I feel that franchises associated with Nintendo have more chances to receive a spirit event in the case these IPs don't manage to get playable representation. That's why I could see characters like Layton, Travis or Phoenix with the spirit treatment. I can't say the same for characters like 2B or Kiryu, to name two. For these characters I think it's all or nothing.
Yeah, this is how I see characters that might have some degree of notorierty, but their franchises don't have a lot of history or ties with Nintendo or some other complicated background that'd make them seem hard to get in. I guess Joker is the most fitting recent example, it's someone that either broke all odds and made it in despite the franchise association with Playstation (despite not being owned by them), or we saw 0 nods to Persona whatsoever throughout Ultimate lifespan.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
One of my personal general predictions for Fighters Pass 2 is that we're finally gonna see a double-dipping of two characters from one third-party company. While it could be any combination of characters from any company, a Capcom double-dip with Phoenix Wright and Dante would be awesome.

Krankees

Smash Ace
We've got some important info from the new Famitsu Column.

This is it, we're not going any further after this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well lets hope he take a well deserved break after words, though i still dont believe him that nintendo picked

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

while I personally don't count on anymore passes after this one, isn't this usually how they always roll? No plans for DLC/carry on after this pack, and then they end up doing more.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

I think I'm OK with this. The DLC shouldn't be more expensive than the actual game. That's crossing the line, you see how Dragon Ball FighterZ turned out.

Our constant prosecutor for these 2 years until a reveal happens is going the Spirit Board event. I'm scared to replay DMC3 on Switch. I was playing REmake then suddenly the Resident Evil spirits were announced. Same with Astral Chain on a friend's house. I'm cursed. Every Tuesday is going to feel like a purgatory now.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

If Nintendo really did pick the characters this time, then I hope they atleast thought about getting Phoenix in any way or form.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm expecting a similar pattern for pass 2 in comparison to the first one. A Capcom character is very likely, that's at least something.
I also hope for Ace Attorney to receive some content if Phoenix isn't gonna be playable. I think the franchise deserves something in Ultimate, even if it's only a Mii costume or a spirit board.

Top Bottom