• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Welp, these days i've realized how much i want a remastered duology of the Investigations games on the Switch. That would mean that we get Gyakuten Kenji 2 localized for the 1st time too (at least oficcially). If they look good enough on their Smartphone versions i'm sure they'll look better on the Switch!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
You scared me for a second...
So, I'm not the only one who thought a new AA HD collection had been shadow-announced, right? For a split-second I thought Ace Attorney Investigations: HD Duology had been announced or something.

Not to steal Aviary Attorney's thunder, though. It looks very charming, might try it some time if this AA "dry spell" (I use quotation marks since it hasn't been dormant nearly as long as other Capcom IPs) continues.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
For those who game on PC, Ai: Somnium Case Files has a 30% off discount on Steam in the Winter Sale at the moment. (it started today) I'm thinking of getting it to play over the holidays.

I'm not sure if the Switch version will have a similar sale, although it's mysteriously not even on sale in Europe (or at least where I live) so playing on PC is my only option.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry, I just thought you guys would appreciate Aviary Attorney getting more exposure, didn't mean to make it come off like Ace Attorney got anything new (it doesn't help that Aviary Attorney has the exact same abbreviation/acronym).

Maybe you should use the holidays to take a break from this forum and do something else for a while, since companies clearly don't have much ready until next year (if then).

capcom has an odd approach to dlc
Yeah, though it still beats the time they decided to end SFIV's DLC with the least creatively-designed Doll Squad member (for reference, it was the one that looked like Cammy, but wearing a mask).

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
We may not get a new Ace Attorney, but something amazing happened with our Law & Disorder

https://youtu.be/Hmhjd3j4tCI

Edit: I have no idea how to embed videos in these forums, sorry

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can't say I'm surprised, there barely is any room left to announce anything at the end of the friggin' year. Next year will have a lot more legroom for announcements, seeing as Ps5 and XBOX (WHY) won't have much exclusives for a bit.

Oh, it's already over?

What were the two unannounced games then?
In before it turns out that everything was just a big rumor anyway.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Ngl, I forgot Jump Festa was a thing until people started talking about how it's already over, rip. At least I didn't miss anything, and I honestly didn't expect it to show up there. Although, imagine how much of a riot there would've been if FP5 was announced at Jump Festa instead of TGA for some reason, and it was Wright, lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, I do at least have definite proof that third-party character announcements aren't entirely exclusive to big events like most folks think they are. They're only shown off when they are ready, regardless of how fitting or unfitting a character is perceived as showing up for particular moments. I mean, :ultpacman: had been revealed in a private event in Japan instead of E3, in the Smash 4 days. Not to mention that we just had :ult_terry: in a regular-arse direct.

Whoever FP5 is, we'll definitely know before the end of February, which is when the Fighter Pass deal itself elapses, with the characters almost certainly remaining purchasable individually afterwards..

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
meanwhile, in one of my journeys through google images

Ace Attorney x Yakuza when
In Project X zone 2 Phoenix and Maya actually defended Goro Majima in court once. They reference this as being the reason Majima jumps in to save them when they were in danger in that game.

I want to see THAT court case.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In Project X zone 2 Phoenix and Maya actually defended Goro Majima in court once. They reference this as being the reason Majima jumps in to save them when they were in danger in that game.

I want to see THAT court case.
So basically... if Kiryu kills a lot of people during Yakuza's regular gameplay, Phoenix comes in and proves the thugs he beat are still alive, just hurt really badly, so Kiryu technically hasn't killed anyone?

I guess Nick is the answer Yakuza fans were searching for all along.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I just want to let everyone know that I witnessed a real-life rendition of the ladder vs. stepladder debate today and had to swallow my laughter.

(Also, with AA not being a presence at Jump Festa, when are we anticipating a potential AA7 reveal? E3? Or might it be sooner if it's still kicking off as a Nintendo exclusive?)

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I just want to let everyone know that I witnessed a real-life rendition of the ladder vs. stepladder debate today and had to swallow my laughter.

(Also, with AA not being a presence at Jump Festa, when are we anticipating a potential AA7 reveal? E3? Or might it be sooner if it's still kicking off as a Nintendo exclusive?)
I'm almost positive it'll be revealed in the next direct.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh really? That'd be cool, I guess that's possible! I was expecting next TGS maybe, and I dunno about Nintendo-exclusive, I mean, I guess that's fine, but the trilogy getting released on other systems made it more accessible which is cool too, wanna get more people playing it. And uh, I can also see them straight-up not knowing where to take the series now and having it sleep for a while... though, I guess with SoJ doing well enough with sales and the way DD and SoJ started development with some Capcom boss ordering "make another one" I guess one is probably in the works whether people are ready or not? Just the jump to new systems and all the translating must be taking a while!

I wonder what it's even going to look like...the old models updated like how Pokemon did or do they want to try 2D again...? They said 3D is easier to animate but they also noted how Danganronpa's style, which is mostly 2D in 3D environments, really pops out at people so maybe they'd try something more stylized to be hip and cool and get more people in...

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I'm fairly convinced, personally, that if AA7 isn't anywhere near coming out, Phoenix's chances in Smash are pretty much dead in the water, given that DMC is more booming than it's been in ages and Capcom probably won't be interested in promoting relatively small franchise of theirs that doesn't even have a game or a port on the horizon when they could propose a medium-large one that's gotten much more recent press and whose protagonist is no less iconic than Ace Attorney's.

So what I'm saying is, I have to believe AA7 is soon or I'm out here in this thread supporting a pipe dream.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I mean, I'm fairly convinced, personally, that if AA7 isn't anywhere near coming out, Phoenix's chances in Smash are pretty much dead in the water, given that DMC is more booming than it's been in ages and Capcom probably won't be interested in promoting relatively small franchise of theirs that doesn't even have a game or a port on the horizon when they could propose a medium-large one that's gotten much more recent press and whose protagonist is no less iconic than Ace Attorney's.

So what I'm saying is, I have to believe AA7 is soon or I'm out here in this thread supporting a pipe dream.
We really need to throw this whole "needs to promote something" mindset away.

Joker didn't come with Persona 5 Switch.
Banjo didn't come with any sort of Banjo game.
Terry's game basically influenced Smash.
The only thing promotional in this whole pass was making Luminary the default skin for Hero.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
We really need to throw this whole "needs to promote something" mindset away.

Joker didn't come with Persona 5 Switch
Banjo didn't come with any sort of Banjo game
Terry is just SNK as a whole. Not just advertising one particular game.
The only thing promotional in this whole pass was making Luminary the default skin for Hero.
Oh, I'm not saying it needs to "promote" anything, per se, I'm just saying that if AA is about to be a straight-up dormant series, or if Capcom has absolutely no plans for it in the next year or two, it makes far more sense for them to have a preference for an equally-recognizable character from a more-popular, more-current IP that they actually care about at the moment.

Basically, my mindset is that Dante and Phoenix Wright are roughly equally likely, so any knock against one is a point in favor of the other.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Oh, I'm not saying it needs to "promote" anything, per se, I'm just saying that if AA is about to be a straight-up dormant series, or if Capcom has absolutely no plans for it in the next year or two, it makes far more sense for them to have a preference for an equally-recognizable character from a more-popular, more-current IP that they actually care about at the moment.
Sakurai goes for the character he wants. Regardless of the character's current status. Banjo has been dormant for 13-14 years. :v

Remember, Reggie says no company has turned them down for this pass. So if Sakurai wanted Wright. He got Wright,

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The original trilogy just came out on other systems and was revealed at last year's TGS. SoJ only came out a few years back.

Jeez, it's like none of you know what it was like waiting for Dual Destinies or something.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai goes for the character he wants. Regardless of the character's current status. Banjo has been dormant for 13-14 years. :v
Banjo's been highly-requested for Smash for over a decade, though, and Sakurai was already interested in him being in. My concern is more on Capcom's side - I recall Sakurai saying in a column or a similar format recently that he went to Square looking for Hero, but would have been willing to compromise and take Slime, if that's what they wanted. My worry is rather that Capcom shoots down Phoenix and proposes Dante as an alternative, if they've got AA on the back-burner. It's not the most likely scenario, but again, I really think it's a 50/50 shot already.

On the flip-side, Capcom's a much more - ahem - amenable company than Square, so they might play ball no matter who he wants.
The original trilogy just came out on other systems and was revealed at last year's TGS. SoJ only came out a few years back.

Jeez, it's like none of you know what it was like waiting for Dual Destinies or something.
Oh, I'm not particularly impatient about AA7 itself - I'd like to hear something about it in the next year or two, but I'll live either way. I'm just considering any impacts its absence might have.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Banjo's been highly-requested for Smash for over a decade, though, and Sakurai was already interested in him being in. My concern is more on Capcom's side - I recall Sakurai saying in a column or a similar format recently that he went to Square looking for Hero, but would have been willing to compromise and take Slime, if that's what they wanted. My worry is rather that Capcom shoots down Phoenix and proposes Dante as an alternative, if they've got AA on the back-burner. It's not the most likely scenario, but again, I really think it's a 50/50 shot already.

On the flip-side, Capcom's a much more - ahem - amenable company than Square, so they might play ball no matter who he wants.

Oh, I'm not particularly impatient about AA7 itself - I'd like to hear something about it in the next year or two, but I'll live either way. I'm just considering any impacts its absence might have.
What he said was he went to square asking for a Dragon Quest character of some kind, and it could just as easily have been slime. Essentially Sakurai chose the series but let square choose which character should represent it.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I know KFAD isn't really on anyone's mind right now but we got a Ghost Trick song and it's really good.

Top Bottom